Alternate 3-E(spoilers)

Cysx

Topic, basically. Which is 3 years late, too.

Has anyone here ever regretted the game didn't give you a choice at that point? Either to side with the Dawn brigade, or with the Greil's mercenaries? And thus that you'd get two different 3-E chapters depending on your choice?

This seemed so obvious to me, seeing how the whole part 3 was a build up to something like this, that I was rather suprised when you ended up with Ike no matter what. This would have fit plot-wise, as whoever wins doesn't even matter in the end, and lots of DB units could have used the additional exp to catch up, making them perfectly usable, too. Maybe Kurthnaga and Pelleas could have ended far better thanks to this.

So, what do you think?

And while I'm at it, granted you had the choice, which side would you choose?(hoping for at least a few DB here...)

Sorry if this has been asked a thousand times.

Edited by Cysx

The 'correct' answer in terms of efficiency is that you'd still choose the GMs. However, I'd personally probably choose the DB more often than not - the chance to kill a bunch of GMs and gain exp seems too tasty to pass up... assuming it doesn't make the chapter virtually impossible, of course.

Lets put it this way: If I chose to play as the Dawn Brigade it'd be almost impossible to win given that the only decent units I'd have would be Edward (Trueblade level 1) and Nolan (Warrior level 17)... against a whole team of third tiers (except Boyd/Rhys/Mist/Rolf/Ike).

Edited by NinjaMonkey

The 'correct' answer in terms of efficiency is that you'd still choose the GMs. However, I'd personally probably choose the DB more often than not - the chance to kill a bunch of GMs and gain exp seems too tasty to pass up... assuming it doesn't make the chapter virtually impossible, of course.

I would think that the DB choice would give you a more lenient goal for turncount.

Lets put it this way: If I chose to play as the Dawn Brigade it'd be almost impossible to win given that the only decent units I'd have would be Edward (Trueblade level 1) and Nolan (Warrior level 17)... against a whole team of third tiers (except Boyd/Rhys/Mist/Rolf/Ike).

It actually gives more draft potential.

Also either Mia OR nephenee would be 3rd tier since they're both in the same group in terms of efficiency. Brom wouldn't be 3rd tier. You'd have these units in 3rd tier- Oscar, Titania, Haar and Mia/Nephenee. Now I could be wrong if you used the master crowns that you get, but still.

Maybe it works differently in NM, but I know for sure in HM that'd be the result(I guess I've been playing too much hard mode)

Also it'd depend on what type of player is playing the game: An efficient player would focus on the units I mentioned( actually, he'd focus on only Ike, Haar and Titania for utmost efficiency, maybe Mia at times). A casual player would feel like using all units( I know I would if I played the game for the first time, I love raining every single character if its possible, bar chars like Fiona/Meg.) A player in the middle wouldn't have many 3rd tier, but many of the units would be close to promotion.

Edited by blues

If I wanted to make my life significantly easier, I'd continue to play as the Greil Mercs, as my GM's are infinitely stronger than the DB units at this point, not to mention I have Haar.

On the other hand, my DB units could easily nab some quick EXP from killing my 3rd tier GM units. However, I'm outstated(the DB's I'm using are about halfway through tier 2)and most likely outnumbered in terms of usable units(I only use Eddie, Nolan, Jill, Zihark, and Aran anyway, when I can reasonably use Ike, Titania, Oscar, Boyd, Shinon, Gatrie, Mia, and Soren.) It would at least allow Kurth and Pelleas to shine a bit more, as they'll be able to scrape together enough exp to not be a detriment in part 4.

Perhaps Micaiah would promote sooner if that would happen. Plus Pelleas having more time to be on the field. But seeing how theres three armies (so to speak) coming after the DBs, it would be a royal asspain. The assist units would fail quite hard unless they kept respawning like they do in enemy phase. It would be cool to try but i would probably stick with the GMs.

I forgot about her... *Wonders if a Nailah solo would be possible*

You'd have Rafiel as well, who's arguably a bit better than Reyson on such a chapter(can't remember if you get a laguz stone by 3-E...)

And most GM units would hardly survive yours ganging up on them, except for Ike and Titania I guess(Pelleas can deal with Haar). But there's little chances that you actually face them if the chapter looks anything like the one we have now.

Tibarn could definitely pose a threat though...

Either way,it would surely be the hardest out of the two...

I was kind of thinking, and I realized this wouldn't work unless Tauroneo (or someone) acts as your lord, seeing on how Micaiah leaves halfway through the chapter. Also the ending would make no sense. Mist passinh out and then the chapter ending makes no sense from the DB side.

Edited by Komatsu

And most GM units would hardly survive yours ganging up on them, except for Ike and Titania I guess(Pelleas can deal with Haar).

Given that I only have 3 units that I can use, I'm sure they would.

I just spent two chapters fighting the overpowered GM's with the scrubs known as the Fail Brigade. No way am I doing it a third time.

The only level where you play as the DB and fight the GM's is 3-13...

Oh yeah...Forgot about Nolan and the Tahsk or whatever that crossbow is called. That can get pretty scary. All the peg/seraph knights go down plus the hawks and maybe even Tibarn.

I was kind of thinking, and I realized this wouldn't work unless Tauroneo (or someone) acts as your lord, seeing on how Micaiah leaves halfway through the chapter. Also the ending would make no sense. Mist passinh out and then the chapter ending makes no sense from the DB side.

Pelleas could probably act as the Lord. As for Mist, yeah it kinda does. All the GMs wouldnt die outright anyway. They would just retreat like in the other chapter. The end of the chapter would have to be tweaked anyway. Probably Rafiel passing out instead while saying something cryptic about the medallion.

Honestly this would have been an amazing idea if IS had done it right however I do think that if the DB was to be usable at that point that providing them a little extra support would have been required. Having say... one or two ballista, Kurthnaga, Ena and Pelleas being around would help even the battlefield a little along with maybe changing the layout a little bit to provide the DBers a number of chockpoints that could be used to wall off the northern part of the map so only one or two enemies could be fought at a time. But if that was done, the DB probably could have used an extra chapter (maybe 'defend' the bridge before the GM's version of the map) along with more items (silvers being forgable, extra 10,000 gold etc) to help out the DB. You have to admit, if the DB had access to silver forges and enough gold right before that chapter for all your usable units to get them then the DB would have a chance.

Oh and I'm supporting the DB on this one. It would have been a lot of fun.

Yes, having someone take her place(or have three lords from the start)when she and Sothe leave is probably the best solution.

And about the ending... After thinking for a while, I ended up with something like, having some generic soldier tell Tauroneo that Micaiah is nowhere to be found. He immediatly orders some troops to look for her. Maybe have him think to himself how the battle is far from being over... Or Pelleas version(but then 2nd playthrough only), where he goes to search for her by himself, and thus no more lord.

Then end of the chapter, transition with a scene where Micaiah's running in the woods with that voice calling for her, and Sothe's trying to catch up...(this might seem pointless, but if the chapter ends like "where is Micaiah?", it'd be best to show what she's up to right after)

Then, let's see... Maybe another scene where you'd see Rafiel collapse, and Nailah run into Tibarn with Reyson on his back while trying to bring him to a safe place. They both agree to take the herons to their sister. And the scene with the medaillon can start right as they get in, the beginning being skipped in this scenario. Hector mode like.

My, I am overthinking things again.

Given that I only have 3 units that I can use, I'm sure they would.

That's a bit harsh on the DB. Having only three good units doesn't mean that some of the others cannot do some chip damage to help. And don't forget about Rafiel. Plus, there's little chance you'd actually chose the DB chapter if you didn't train them properly, I guess.

Edited by Cysx

That's a bit harsh on the DB. Having only three good units doesn't mean that some of the others cannot do some chip damage to help. Plus, there's little chance you'd actually chose the DB chapter if you didn't train them properly, I guess.

I seriously doubt that anyone would choose the DB, especially as they start Part 3 extremely under-levelled...

And don't forget about Rafiel.

I assure you, I didn't...

Edited by NinjaMonkey

I seriously doubt that anyone would choose the DB, especially as they start Part 3 extremely under-levelled...

wrong, unless you mean hard mode only. my DB's are usually 3rd tier half way 3-6, sometimes starting 3-12.