Top 30 Fire Emblem Characters of ALL TIME Countdown

Mekkah

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FE6's idea of difficulty (as well as certain ROM hackers......) is to have thrones give 30 avoid. I don't know about you but I'm not that great at evading sharp objects when I'm sitting on a throne.

I picture them hiding behind the throne playing chicken with you, personally.

27. Sety - from FE4

One side of me tells me Sety should have been much higher than 27, the other side tells me he shouldn't be here at all. This position satisfies neither, but that's what compromises do. Prepare yourself for a dose of...Lolsety.

If you were to put every single unit ever made on the same map, within attacking range of each other, then Sety would be...well, the second best if Narga Julia is there, third best if Julius shows up with Loputousu. But other than that, Sety is looking good.

How good? If FEA is to be believed, Levin!Sety joins with 45 HP, 22 Mag, 21 Skl, 17 Spd, 9 Def, 14 Res, and 12 Luk. With Holsety, that makes for something like: 52 Atk, 32 AS, and 76 Avo. 32 AS would already be enough to (if you could) quadruple most enemies in most other games, but in this world where an 1 AS advantage is enough for doubling, not even that covers how overkill that Spd is. Since 52 Atk hitting twice on resistance is not enough, Sety also has 31% Critical and 52% Continue. You know, just to make sure it's dead. To round it all out, he has 1-2 range.

All of this would make Sety top of top of top tier for a Link Arena, but unfortunately, there is none in FE4. We have to deal with other things than raw parameters, and that's when Sety's perfection is starting to show cracks that not everyone wants to hear. If you want to stare yourself blind on Sety's combat some more, have fun with this, while the rest of us explore why this guy is #27 and not #1...

[spoiler=hype]So at L30, Sety will naturally cap Spd with that 105% growth of his, putting him at 30 Spd and therefore 45 AS, 65% Continue, and the scariest part, 107 Avo. His Skl will jump to 27 for the 37% Critical, and all of that is coming from 27.5 Mag, or 57.5 Atk. Is it dead yet?

Sety has two problems, and they both relate to how you can't put his godly parameters to use when you want to. The first is that he joins at the tail end of Ch8, so he misses pretty much half of the second generation right there. The second problem is that he has 6 movement, while Celice has 9 and each FE4 map is as large as a GBAFE world map. Sety simply can't keep up. The Leg Ring is better spent on Celice or Leen/Laylea, and that's that. Sety is better off being relegated to clean-up duty, castle guard (who dares to attack him?), and...maybe some staff utility?

Oh yeah, he can use staves. That is kind of a saving grace right there. Not that you are very desperate for staff users, with there being plenty of others. But it gives Sety the option of taking Claude as a father instead so that you can actually have a mounted Holsety user, and doing some minor but interesting things. If you didn't train Leaf, you actually don't really have anyone with more than 5 movement that can use A level staves, and the people with A staves (Lana, Corple/Sharlow) also have worse combat than the amazing Lightning Claude!Sety. He can inflict Sleep/Berserk, fulfill Warp duties, Restore people, or if you're crazy, do the Rescue-from-castle-guard-position glitch to allow Celice to remove infinitely every turn. Take that, dancers!

I honestly do not think LolSety is even close to top30 on a list that would be 100% based on efficiency. But sometimes you just want to dream about having pretty much unmatched stats. And hey, against the few things that do cause your team some issues in FE4, Sety is really nice to have (Ishtar, Earth Sword Falcoknight sisters, Arion).

Oh, Paperblade deserves a shout out. He predicted Sety would be #28.

Edited by Mekkah

27. Sety - from FE4

One side of me tells me Sety should have been much higher than 27, the other side tells me he shouldn't be here at all. This position satisfies neither, but that's what compromises do. Prepare yourself for a dose of...Lolsety.

If you were to put every single unit ever made on the same map, within attacking range of each other, then Sety would be...well, the second best if Narga Julia is there, third best if Julius shows up with Loputousu. But other than that, Sety is looking good.

Pretty sure that some of the FE10 units could beat him. Nasir has 76HP and 46RES, for a start.

Oh yeah, he can use staves. That is kind of a saving grace right there. Not that you are very desperate for staff users, with there being plenty of others. But it gives Sety the option of taking Claude as a father instead so that you can actually have a mounted Holsety user, and doing some minor but interesting things. If you didn't train Leaf, you actually don't really have anyone with more than 5 movement that can use A level staves, and the people with A staves (Lana, Corple/Sharlow) also have worse combat than the amazing Lightning Claude!Sety. He can inflict Sleep/Berserk, fulfill Warp duties, Restore people, or if you're crazy, do the Rescue-from-castle-guard-position glitch to allow Celice to remove infinitely every turn. Take that, dancers!

Claude!Tinny has 6 move and A Staves

Edited by Anouleth

Fine, not everyone. Stupid FE10 stat inflation.

Claude!Sety was assumed, and Claude knows not to marry multiple girls. Please only break my balls with things that actually make sense.

Yeah, I think with FE4 characters you have to consider all the parents they can have. Sety's choices do offer him the chance at overkill combat (Levin), or even just pretty damn good combat while letting Arthur have Holsety (Noish or whoever). But his only real utility option is with Claude, and even then he's hard to justify as a staffbot over Leaf. To say nothing of Claude!Fee being mobile B Staff and joining way earlier, so anything that doesn't actually require an A (which you could just do with Leaf) could just as easily be her job. And that frees Sety up to kill shit with Lightning... when he can reach it.

I know some people are going to be like "what" about that placement but I can't really disagree. I think he does deserve a Top 30 simply for being lolSety the Lolsety wielder, but availability and lack of movement are huge handicaps in FE4. However, I now presume this means Arthur is guaranteed to show up deeper down the list, as the core of the argument against Sety is basically "Why have overkill offense and no availability when you can have overkill offense, availability, and a goddamn horse?" Also probably Sigurd, Leaf, and the FE4 dancers, but that's a guess.

Saphy for Dark Horse #1?

The only reason why I'd disagree with putting Sety on the list is that it implies that a lot more FE4 characters are going to be on the list. I don't really think that most of them are deserving it. As Renall pointed out, Sety can be a Holsety wielder... who joins kind of late and isn't on a horse. He can be a utility staffer... who joins kind of late and isn't on a horse. Or he can just be a decent combat unit, but we don't put people in the top 30 just for being decent combat units. He obviously can't be all of them at once.

It just opens up the possibility for a lot more units. Arthur definitely clinches a spot due to just being better at using Holsety. You could argue that Fee with Claude as father can deserve a spot because she fills the utility role far better than utility Sety (or Leaf, since he's basically the only mounted Rescue user in the game). You could argue Shanan and Aless on this list as well because the former joins earlier but has the same problems and the latter actually is on a horse and wrecks face. And of course there's Celice, who can be made absolutely ridiculous in a short period of time with the proper inheritance.

I don't really think that it's fitting for a greater proportion of FE4's cast to be arguably representable in the top 30.

Edited by dondon151

FE4 has a lot more units that are completely broken than other games simply because of those holy weapons. I don't strive for every game to have equal representation. You can argue that having more broken units makes them all stand out less, but I wanted to make room for at least LolSety.

Edited by Mekkah

No posts since last time I posted? Okay.

26. Chicks with wings: Karin from FE5, Thany from FE6, Florina from FE7, Vanessa from FE8

This is kind of the polar opposite of some of the last few entries. While most of them were there not so much for efficiency reasons, but rather more "wow look at these numbers" reasons, these four are here not because they are good at fighting. Rather, they are here because while other people fight, these girls fly around running errands for you. It sounds odd to just mash these four together leaving out some other pegasus girls, but there's actually some reasoning for that. For one, all of them can rescue-drop (unlike, say, Shiida and Fury). For two, all of them were instrumental in dondon's 0% growth playthroughs, where they are all showcased very well. For three, unlike for example FE9 Marcia and FE11 Shiida, there is almost no way to make them really good at fighting without sacrificing a lot of turns that they could have gained for you. The one that comes closest is Florina because of Lyn Mode.

For those unaware, the reason these frail and relatively harmless units are so good is because they ignore terrain, and with the rescue-drop function, can allow other units to do the same with some smart maneuvering. Dancers and other mounted units can make this even more gorgeous and turn-saving. Some random things fliers can do for you:

- Move a juggernaut such as Seth, Marcus, Othin, etc towards a boss or group of enemies to be killed.

- Get to a village before brigands do or before you end a map.

- Get a lord to a throne/gate to seize.

- Rescue NPCs that do things you don't want them to do, or transport the NPCs to where they need to go.

I'm sure there's more things than these, most of them variations of the above. Now, these gals do have the drawback of generally having bad anythingbutSpdandLuk, including constitution or whatever equivalent their respective game has, especially when they aren't getting EXP (which is easy to avoid when you're carrying around someone and your stats are halved). So you have to be very careful, especially with arrows of any kind around. But given good planning, with knowledge of the map and enemy locations, they can do marvelous things for you, completely bypassing whatever the devs intended you to do for a map.

Karin might fit the bill, same with Vanessa.

But eh. Two more are definitely coming up on the list soon.

EDIT: Not THAT way. Geez, I shouldn't have said anything if I knew I was going to give that impression.

Edited by Dark Sage

lol Mekkah that is a super lazy jumble of units

but you're right, they're basically all the same.

Karin does have some combat potential, though. Elite M will do that for you. Not in an SSS rank run, obviously, but I haven't seen anyone try to make her a combat juggernaut. Theoretically it's possible, though. Thany is only really salvageable in an NM run and Vanessa is not salvageable if Seth is in the equation.

Edited by dondon151

Dark Sage wants some Thany.

In his panty.

Aw hell naw.

I would probably remove Vanessa from the list myself since during all the times where her ferrying comes in handy she has other fliers also available like Cormag, Tana, and Syrene.

And I'd also remove Sety for obvious reasons.

Why would you remove Vanessa from the list? It's not like Florina or Thany are your lone fliers for a very long period of time.

Thany joins in Chapter 2. Tate joins in 10/11. That's a 9 chapter difference. Even more than Vanessa.

EDIT: Not THAT way.

... There's another way to be "killer in looks" besides the sexually attractive way?

I would probably remove Vanessa from the list myself since during all the times where her ferrying comes in handy she has other fliers also available like Cormag, Tana, and Syrene.

Ch 7 much?

Edited by zahlman