Top 30 Fire Emblem Characters of ALL TIME Countdown

Mekkah

Ch2 Ross, Ch5 villages, Ch7 skip around 80% of the map

Then Tana joins so it's only half credit from here, but sometimes you can make use of two fliers.

Ch9 Eirika, Tana has an annoying starting position that makes Vanessa a better choice for carrying someone over the south sea.

Ch10 Eirika, you need both fliers to drop Seth and Eirika near Pablo.

Ch12 Eirika, you could possibly use two fliers since there's so many places to go to over the mountain ranges.

Ch10 Ephraim, not sure what strategies you can employ safely here with fliers, but I'm sure there's something.

Ch15, from here you have Cormag but there's also a desert. Using Vanessa and Tana to ferry thieves and combat units around allows Cormag to actually fight things.

I'd make a point about Ch20 if you don't have Warp but by now you have Syrene so I won't.

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He didn't list any pegs that are killer in looks

edit: They're like 13 what the hell is wrong with you

Karin is totally killer in looks what the hell are you talking about?

She's, like, #2 for FE5 behind Olwen. EDIT: no she barely pulls ahead of olwen.

I am disappoint, Brad.

Edited by Integrity

Also, dunno about Vanessa, but if you don't consider Lyn mode, Florina's absolute trash, imo. Absolutely frail as hell, has almost no use in her few chapters before Fiora appears, and then Fiora can do her work much better. Heck, in her joining chapter she can't ferry because of ballista( I think there is one, I've not played the gba games in a long time.) Has no business whatsoever in Ch.16 because its indoors and there's a lot of archers. Then the ship chapter, and its a survival one, no go there. Then we have Fiora, and god knows why you want Florina then.

I believe FE7 tiers assume Lyn mode is played (and s-ranked).

Even if not s-ranked (ARanked, for instance), florina comes from ch4 -10 (including 7x, which is a lulz rout chapter).

Thany joins in Chapter 2. Tate joins in 10/11. That's a 9 chapter difference. Even more than Vanessa.

Vanessa joins in chapter 2. Tana joins in 9/10. That's an 8 chapter difference. But FE8 has only about 21 chapters total while FE6 has closer to 30.

25. Titania, from FE10

Today's entry is Titania, because you can never have too many redhead entries! This spot has changed around a lot (which is why it's posted so late in the European evening), but in the end I'm pretty positive Titania deserves to be here somewhere. Maybe not #25, but who cares, she has enough movement to move a few spaces up at her own leisure, even after she attacks.

Titania does not start out outrageously turbo ridiculous, but has few issues getting there. She comes high enough where she is basically guaranteed to be able to Crown her as soon as you get one, and even if you don't do that, she will promote naturally at some point because she needs "only" 500 EXP to get there. Sadly, due to Hard Mode, Titania can easily wind up getting single digit combat experience, which is why some BEXP infusions might be needed. Her Str is scarily close to her tier 2 cap, so a BEXP level or two is actually beneficial for her since her next highest growths are HP (60%, tied with Str), Skl (55%), and Spd (50%). The last of these is key to a strong Titania, since she starts out at semi borderline doubling, but that's obviously going to get better quickly. As soon as Titania hits third tier, she just starts breaking the game like we're used to.

That is until FE10 inevitably throws anti-Paladin measures at you, which is pretty much fair for all they (particularly she) got in FE9. Unclimbable ledges in 3-4, watery swampish stuff in 3-7, holes in the bridge in 3-11, and then Part 4 (pre-endgame) is almost all bad terrain but Titania is locked to Ike's route anyway which has the least of it, so that's okay. And then she's still a pretty cool guy in endgame.

I didn't play FE10, but I don't think I really need to to know what Titania can do. I hope.

Looks about right. Maybe add something about a speedwing or speed transfer making her that much better? Can't really say much though, since I've never played HM in FE10.

As for the list, I can't really see anything that I outright disagree with but I'm not completely sure about it, like Sety mostly. But overall quite good, and an interesting read.

Also, top 5 prediction:

1) Seth

2) Saphy

3) Sigurd

4) Haar

5) Palla/Sirius

EDIT: props for redhead fanboying.

Edited by bottlegnomes

... There's another way to be "killer in looks" besides the sexually attractive way?

Yes. I can find someone very good looking without finding them sexually attractive.

Ch 7 much?

Oh I forgot about that one.

On another note, Fiona has purplish hair, the hell you smoking Anouleth?

Edited by Dark Sage

Yes. I can find someone very good looking without finding them sexually attractive.

I don't know about you but if I see a girl with killer looks, there's about a 105% chance that I'll have a fantasy that night that involves screwing her until she screams out in delight.

Awaiting early entry thieves to be in the top 10-15 Not much beats access to secret card/member card & silvercard, and shitton of stealable buff and promotion items that contribute to funds and the army overall.

and chests/doors too I guess

Edited by Elieson

24. Asvel, from FE5

So, who else doesn't like Manster? One moment you were dominating everything with Othin, Eyvel, Dagda, and Fin, the next moment the only units you're familiar with on your squad are Leaf and Lifis. They're no Tanya or Ronan, but they are definitely suboptimal. And then you are also kind of stripped of weapons, and you get some new guys like Fergus and Brighton who are pretty cool but there's one really annoying problem: everyone and their mom has 1-range. The enemies don't seem to care for this "no lances or axes or bows or anything" protocol and happily throw everything they have at you from a safe distance. The game even puts a Javelin in one of the chests to taunt you...

And then you're in 4x and you see Sety laugh at everything, and who's that guy with him? Can you recruit him? Why yes, you can! Enter Asvel and his Grafcalibur spell. An astounding 13 mt, 100 hit, 40 crt weapon with 1-2 range with 40 uses minus whatever he wasted as a NPC...every time I look at this weapon's specs I'm like "wow, they must really like Asvel!".

Asvel also has a KILLER 75% growth rate in Spd, which helps a lot because in FE5, magic wt cannot be cushioned by build, con, strength, or anything like that. It's reduced directly from Asvel's acceptable but nonetheless severely harmed 7 base Spd. Thankfully, you also get a Sety scroll (from guess who) to turn his Spd growth into 105% if you so desire, which also gives him an okay 45% mag growth to work on that 4 base of his.

Asvel has 6 mov indoors as opposed to 5, which means he has quite a bit more attacking range and flexibility than most of your units in Manster. Once you're finally outside, your units start to mount and it looks like Asvel is about to flake...but don't worry, because Knight Proofs start rolling in and Asvel is one of the best candidates for a promotion! Sage promotion bonuses are completely outrageous: +5 Mag, +5 Skl, +6 Spd, +4 Def, staves, and of course +1 Mov putting him at 7. With the caps and enemy stats as low as they are, Asvel has absolutely no problem with promoting at a low level.

Other than the occasional fatigue, Asvel will serve you very well throughout a casual playthrough of FE5. You get countless Thunder tomes to snag from enemies, and even a few Wind Tomes that you can use to max out his AS if you feel that is needed. And even during very quick runs (like SSS, speedruns or just lowturning or whatever), he is one of the if not the best bosskiller in the game thanks to his high PCC and Grafcalibur's incredible power and hit piercing the ridiculous FE5 thrones with their +30 avo and +10 def.

During lategame, you basically have two kinds of units: those that can use staves and have a ton of magic, and those that don't. Asvel is kind of in the middle of the road here: he can use staves but his rank won't be anything worth writing home about, but he does have a bunch of magic and is therefore not as vulnerable to all those Dark Mages and their weird status staves and darckness assaults. He's no Linoan/Sara/Sety in this regard, but he definitely gets the job done.

Also, Asvel just has kind of a touching back story. Apparently the little guy had been searching for his friend Leaf for...*grabs game script*

Asvel:

"Lord Leaf is a very important person to me. I've been looking for him ever

since we separated in Tahra. It's been three years now..."

(...)

Asvel:

"I went after you as soon as you left Tahra. But I lost track of you, and I've

been here in Manster for half a year now..."

Leaf:

"As soon as I left!? ...Then you've been searching for me for three years...?"

:(

Rock on, Asvel!

Edited by Mekkah

Staves for Asvel are almost completely worthless, but he's still a great bosskiller even very late into the game.

You should point out that 7 non-mounted move is really good because it's tied with SMs for the highest non-mounted move in the game, and Asvel is an awesome indoors unit.

He is pretty awesome, and I think you sold the main reason why: He loses very little from an early promotion and Sage bonuses are so good that it's probably better than leveling up any more in Mage. Hell, what other stat booster in any FE gives any character +20 in useful stats and +1 MOV? Plus if you level him up normally he cap-rams SPD really hard, so promote him and give him MAG-boosting scrolls instead because his SPD is going to be fine. The dude earns his Knight Proof, and it doesn't hurt that he's a Wind user and bosskiller in several chapters where your roster of people able to smash armors and wyverns is approximately Jack, Shit, and Asvel.

But echoing dondon I've never gotten much staff utility out of him. Still, he has them. Though you're better off using him to murder people.

You also failed to mention that Asvel has no pants. I'm not sure why this is important or whether it should be considered a positive or negative rank factor, but many other characters in FE5 have pants and they are not anywhere near as effective as Asvel. I'm just saying, maybe the pants are holding them back.

Edited by Renall

23. Shannan, from FE4

I remember a poll, a long time ago, asking who was better: Lakche or Shannan. Lakche won, "because Shannan is only good with Balmung" . Silly fanboys and girls, where is your Lakche now?

At first Shannan looks like just a good old prepromote, though one with absolutely amazing parameters and skills. 18 Str, 22 Skl and 23 Spd at base in Ch7, with Pursuit, Continue AND Meteor Sword? And then he talks to Patty, apparently his biggest fan, and...he becomes even better. Apparently Patty was carrying a sword around that is basically a sharper version of Holsety. +10 Skl, +20 Spd, and 30 Mt. Now Shannan has 48 Atk, 40 AS, 32% Meteor Sword, and 60% Continue. Also 90 avoid. Too good. As long as he doesn't get goofed by the RNG, he will save the day in Yied, allowing Celice to pass through and seize in peace.

From there, I'll admit Shannan isn't much of an efficiency turn count saving cannon simply because, just like Sety, there's no horse underneath him. Still, there is no way he doesn't deserve to be somewhere in a more casual top 30 of best units of all time, because his stats stick out so much. Personally, I've had a lot of use for Shannan in my 0% growths playthrough, since that nerfed the children very severely, including Sety. Some details of that playthrough can be found here (and by details I mean a general summary of it). You also need to read this.

Shannan's growths other than HP and Skl aren't too fantastic. He actually ties Spd growth with Dorcas, and has a rather outstanding 40% Def growth. Still, the levels he'll rack up over time will make his parameters even more ridiculous than outlined before.

Edited by Mekkah