Kim Jong Il is dead

Blademaster!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-16239693

"North Korean leader Kim Jong-il has died at the age of 69, state-run television has announced.

Mr Kim, who has led the communist nation since the death of his father in 1994, died on a train while visiting an area outside the capital, the announcement said."

This has been quite the historic year. Osama was caught/killed, Gaddafi died, and now Kim Jong-Il is dead. What a world.

The people there must be so sad.

:(

I like North Korea.

Though I have to say still not a fan of people celebrating over deaths on Facebook. Just not my style.

Edited by Strawman the DucksawDucky

Let us properly remember our Great Leader as he would want us to remember him: kimjongillookingatthings.tumblr

In truth, despite all the horrible things which occurred because of him, I feel sorry that he died. Three or four years ago, when the pictures first surfaced showing his shallow and broken form, I was quite bothered. No one really deserves to experience that sort of state. I also felt sorry when Qadaffi was pulled out by rebels (raw video footage). I also feel sorry watching people suffer in general.

It's going to be interesting to see how the government handles this official announcement of his decease (remember, he could have been dead for some time now, as many have suspected).

God that game's plot was so fucking retarded.

As for Kim Kong Il being dead, I don't know if it's really going to matter. I mean, it would be nice if North Korea stopped being a massive, crazy shithole, but I doubt it's going to happen any time soon.

I agree with Celice, somewhat. I feel sorry that these leaders went through what they did, but they deserved their deaths, in my opinion. Decades of Kim Jong-Il starving his own people and telling them that he's a god doesn't make me feel sympathetic towards his death. I have issues with the way Gaddafi was killed, but I don't have issues with him being dead. Same with Jong-Il.

Edited by Phoenix Wright

I was watching a video of North Korea mourning for him.

You can almost imagine the soldiers with guns behind the cameras and saying "cry or we'll kill you". It's absolutely ridiculous.

That's not quite true. A delusional crowd will cry authentic sadness at his death. And given the controlled environment (that we have to believe in), it wouldn't be too far-fetched to assume not all of the mourners are forced. That sounds like an incredibly Western, slanted way of viewing the thing :/

Mao had (and still has to this day) people who honestly believe in him, and are sad that he is gone. The same is likely going to happen here with Kim.

There are many people in NK who believe--through Kim Jong Il's propaganda machine--that their army constantly repels US invasions every other day. It's no stretch of the imagination to believe that they now think that, with him gone, their lives are in even more serious jeopardy.

Like I said, same deal as with Mao :/

XHGu1.jpg

A people who are obsessive and centered on a leader in such emotional and existential ways are going to be affected when they hear a death. That's not to say that everyone there are mourning as powerfully or authentically as in that clip. But that doesn't remove others from feeling very real trauma at this (official) announcement.

Like I said, same deal as with Mao :/

XHGu1.jpg

A people who are obsessive and centered on a leader in such emotional and existential ways are going to be affected when they hear a death. That's not to say that everyone there are mourning as powerfully or authentically as in that clip. But that doesn't remove others from feeling very real trauma at this (official) announcement.

No it doesn't but ordinary people don't line themselves up into perfect formation for weeping and keep looking up at the camera. The soldiers look authentic and probably are. The everyday people don't.

I live in a country with a LOT of public weeping. Hence, I'm calling bullshit. I don't deny that people can be mourning over Il but that's way too staged.

Edited by Bblader

Well, you have to take into account who's being filmed for that specific shot too. If you have a large group of fanatics who've showed up, who follow strict guidelines, and who are susceptible to group-think, you have a rather fatal concoction for this absurdly-exact mourning. It doesn't need to be staged if the pieces themselves voluntarily fall into this automatized, unreal state.

Their reactions only show that something powerful is happening, beit their own reactions or reactions pushed on them from outside.

Well, you have to take into account who's being filmed for that specific shot too. If you have a large group of fanatics who've showed up, who follow strict guidelines, and who are susceptible to group-think, you have a rather fatal concoction for this absurdly-exact mourning. It doesn't need to be staged if the pieces themselves voluntarily fall into this automatized, unreal state.

Oh, come off of it already. Now you're trying to twist my point into saying that anyone who weeps for Il is faking it.

This mourning procession looks absolutely fake. You don't have to be a genius or even westernized to point that out. And coming from a country like North Korea (where kids are taught that when Il was born in February, flowers bloomed and a rainbow appeared), all it is is a media grab.

• 2 weeks later...

I've read on a Chinese news source of mine that North Korean people can't even get on a train without being forced to cry, and that they're forced to cry twice a day for an hour at a time. Could some of the tears be genuine? Absolutely. But as someone who escaped from a similar totalitarian regime and knows the inner workings of a similar system to North Korea's, staging things like this is not even out of the ordinary there.

In China nowadays, most people hate the government's guts. But can they freely say that unless they escape? Not at all. I'd imagine it's be a similar case with North Korea. Maybe there's still people with faith in the government. Actually, that's still likely given the brainwash the government did, but people are starting to realise these governments are full of shit and lying to their people all the time, but are forced to put up with them because they have guns.