Completed custom FE GBA patches

I was wondering if anyone has any good FE GBA patches that are finished, since I would like to check out how much progress has been made on them since I last checked (it was a while ago and I need to be brought up to speed). Some of them I'm not sure if they were completed, are still in progress, or what (I can't seem to find out about FE dream of five either).

http://serenesforest...showtopic=24662

Dream of Five is in progress, they're still working on it. Another super popular one is Elibian Nights, which Arch is working on right now, I think it's pretty complete even as is now though. There's also Tactics Universe by Blazer (Or Strawhat Luffy as he goes by here) Aaaaaaaaand MK404's working on A Sacred Dawn DX. These are pretty much the most exciting hacks here, for me, anyway :P

Ahhh I edited to add more stuff and then Celice ninja'd me.

Edited by Jubby

FE7if (inflation) is... I think finished. They just keep adding new stuff to it all the damn time :P It's not in English though :E Will of Good and Evil is also finished but in Chinese. FE8_Girls is also finished (for the most part) and even includes English translations for the menus and stuff, or so I've heard!

Since you've said you've looked around before, I'm sure you've picked up the GhebFE and those other ones that were around. The only other English hacks I can think of that are newish would be Tactics Universe and Elibian Nights. I don't know if either of those are finished, however.

EDIT: Oh yeah, MageKnight's hack is also complete, I think. I forgot about that one (thanks Jubby :3 )

Edited by Celice

Complete is very subjective, in that every hack can be improved. The ones listed above have significant progress as well as playable patches out, and I'd add decay of the fang to that list.Also, play FE7x. Just look through the Rom Hacking topics, particularly the most recently posted in ones. League of Champions!

By "complete" I think he means that the creator's released a final patch with no more intentions to improve anything other than perhaps bug fixes. If we're gonna get technical. And yeah, I forgot FE7x (Haven't played DotF yet)

And @Celice, the FE7 hack is complete, and then I think he has an incomplete patch from the old ASD thread :P I'm not sure if there's one for the new one yet, and you're welcome :D

Edited by Jubby

To me, I don't know why you would ever want a complete hack over a playable good one, though I haven't played any older "completed" hacks because none of them are event hacks. I find the most enjoyable hacks have to include eventing, which is pretty recent, and also means that most of them are still being improved. More event hacks: Krad's FE forever, Prime's Road to Ruin, SL's FE6 remake (sorta), which I can't find a patch for.

By "complete" I think he means that the creator's released a final patch with no more intentions to improve anything other than perhaps bug fixes.

Yep, that's exactly what I meant. I was looking for patches that are functional, final, and have no major bugs. I am more interested in the patches that have the most custom aspects (events, portraits, animations, maps, etc). Yes, I have picked up GhebFE and had an old version of Tactics Universe at one point (glad to see it's been updated).

The only completed custom event hacks you'll find are the short ones. Some incomplete ones have been mentioned, but there are few longer custom event hacks. I remember a hack by... urgh, I think Blademaster? Corrupt Theocracy? I'm not sure if that was custom or not, but it's worth checking out. I'd look at the most recent page of hacks too and read that though there aren't many complete ones.

As for completed custom event hacks, here's a quick list:

Eliwood vs. Everyone by Pukachi

Pukachi's other FE7 hack that I can't remember the name of

Fire Emblem: Shining Armor by Blazer

Fire Emblem: Prisoner of Darkness " "

Fire Emblem: Sacred Contention by Team Justice

Matthew's Nightmare by Cedar Nyx

Other ragefest hacks that I for whatever reason can't remember the name of--try checking the Ragefest contest threads for more information, I'd like to think they'd have links to the entries or something so people can play them. Though by rule ragefest hacks are supposed to be very hard, and 1 chapter, though another rule is that they need to have custom events, which is what you're looking for. I can't guarantee that the characters won't be reused or anything though. *shrug*

Yuri's Sidestory by Mageknight404

Warning: Contains references to EMIT that you probably won't get. If that's the case go watch his little quickplay thing. It's a pretty short game considering how it's supposed to teach Japanese ---> English and English ---> Japanese.

And you just HAD to include Sakura Kinomoto there too didn't you?

Yet again it seems a single directory with a list of links to patches like this would have spared the need for this question and more that will come in time, and help the community as a whole.

And if you ask me, in a honest fashion, if your goal is to see what has been accomplished with FE hacking then I do not think that playing just completed patches will give you an idea of what we can do today; There is no completed patch available in the american FE hacking community which shows really what can be done with our current knowledge of romhacking. Call it a bet if you may, but I can say it in a comfortable way that the best FE hacks most likely than not will be coming from now on. So your better shot at seeing what can be done is checking the most active topics in this section, instead of the completed patches. That, of course, is my personal opinion on the matter.

Also, is the reason you asked this the fact you don't like to play unfinished hacks, and would rather to wait them to be completed before playing them? While I can understand it, I agree with Deranger in that you will be missing on a ton of experiences if you keep on looking for just completed projects. While there is still free space in my rom I know I would never call my game completed honestly. :)

Yet again it seems a single directory with a list of links to patches like this would have spared the need for this question and more that will come in time, and help the community as a whole.

I think a topic directory, or even a projects section (which would remove all the clutter) would have sufficed. Basically anything that makes looking for patches less work. although, a working link to SL's FE6 remake would be nice

It would be helpful, but this topic is good enough for me. It has really done a good job at bringing me up to speed.

And if you ask me, in a honest fashion, if your goal is to see what has been accomplished with FE hacking then I do not think that playing just completed patches will give you an idea of what we can do today; There is no completed patch available in the american FE hacking community which shows really what can be done with our current knowledge of romhacking. Call it a bet if you may, but I can say it in a comfortable way that the best FE hacks most likely than not will be coming from now on. So your better shot at seeing what can be done is checking the most active topics in this section, instead of the completed patches. That, of course, is my personal opinion on the matter..

Also, is the reason you asked this the fact you don't like to play unfinished hacks, and would rather to wait them to be completed before playing them? While I can understand it, I agree with Deranger in that you will be missing on a ton of experiences if you keep on looking for just completed projects. While there is still free space in my rom I know I would never call my game completed honestly. :)

Ok, I will check the active topics somewhat regularly to see if any progress has been made on old patches or whether any new ones have been created. Perhaps I shouldn't have assumed that the best quality patches were the completed ones and that the completed ones best represent the hacking community. If I do play through a hack though, it will probably be a completed one just for convenience.

Edited by FireEmblemReignsSupreme

There's also several completed hacks for the older games before the GBA. And a few difficulty patches for all the games are also complete, though, they're not too different other than making enemies more difficult :e

I think a topic directory, or even a projects section (which would remove all the clutter) would have sufficed.

As you pointed out, that wouldn't work, because the links would eventually die and there would then be no back-up of the hack. Instead, it would be better to archive the patches on a separate place where the downloads can be maintained and kept from disappearing off the rest of the internet, like so many have already.

The Serenes Forest Wiki is an easy place to start. All it takes is someone to dedicate the time to sort it all out. It'd be nicer than just letting all the edits fade away with time.

Agreed Celice. I think it should be even officially as a position among the site's hierarchy of power, like a section mod of sorts. That would be a relatively simplistic way to prize someone willing to organize all patches like that. Or just an achievement of sorts if there is such a thing here, something to prize for something relatively workful and intricate as keeping him/herself as up-to-date as possible.

And yep, if we add in all FE patches for all consoles, FE is quite a well-served franchise regarding hacks, considering the size of the fanbase. Small but faithful. :)

A lot of people don't like their hack to be shared. Furthermore it's one thing to include a name and download but another to include actual information on what a hack includes given that the hack itself can change over time. It'd be nice if people submitted their hacks to say, RHDN, which has a system for submitting hacks, but I doubt everyone's going to do that, especially those hacks that are far from completion.

EDIT: grammar mistake

Edited by Strawhat Luffy

^Again, we've already shown that there are plenty of complete hacks. Just because they aren't long or custom doesn't mean they aren't complete.

Elibian Nights has a good amount of progress--about 8 or 9 "chapters" I think (they're called tales)... but it's not complete. It's more than halfway done though, from what I know. Tactics Universe is also more than halfway done... I don't know of any other in-progress hacks that are more than halfway done, ATM. Unless DoF is short--that one's got good progress but I don't know how far the entire game is, if it's only 20 chapters it might be more than halfway. *shrug* Something to look into yourself, the topics aren't THAT hard to find or look through.