• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Breezy Kanzaki

• Ein

• Caster

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, and welcome to Roman history with Hattusili I.

Today, I will be giving brief summaries of the Roman Emperors of the 11th century (except for Isaac II and Alexius III; who cares about them?).

Alexius I: good emperor.

John II: excellent emperor. Like, Marcus Aurelius levels of good.

Manuel I: good emperor.

Alexius II: an incompetent little shit.

Andronicus I: initially not as incompetent, but a giant shit.

what's the general ratio of good to bad emperors?

3:2 ?

I think it's more likely to be the other way around.

Good emperors tend to rule for a long time, while bad emperors tend to be deposed, assassinated etc.

So there are more bad emperors than good emperors, but good emperors rule longer than bad emperors.

Hello, and welcome to Roman history with Hattusili I.

Today, I will be giving brief summaries of the Roman Emperors of the 11th century (except for Isaac II and Alexius III; who cares about them?).

Alexius I: good emperor.

John II: excellent emperor. Like, Marcus Aurelius levels of good.

Manuel I: good emperor.

Alexius II: an incompetent little shit.

Andronicus I: initially not as incompetent, but a giant shit.

So you consider Byzantine Emperors to be Roman?

So you consider Byzantine Emperors to be Roman?

Yes.

"Byzantine" is a nice term for practical usage to refer to a historical period, but juridically (and culturally) speaking, the Byzantine Empire was simply the Roman Empire.

The term is comparable to terms such as "Weimar Republic" and "Nazi Germany"; they're used by historians to refer to a certain period in a nation's history, but do not reflect the juridical status of the state nor do they reflect how people viewed those nations in their own time.

Yes.

"Byzantine" is a nice term for practical usage to refer to a historical period, but juridically (and culturally) speaking, the Byzantine Empire was simply the Roman Empire.

The term is comparable to terms such as "Weimar Republic" and "Nazi Germany"; they're used by historians to refer to a certain period in a nation's history, but do not reflect the juridical status of the state nor do they reflect how people viewed those nations in their own time.

They did still change somewhat culturally. What with the different styles of dress, differences in architecture, how prevalent latin/greek was in the empire, prevalence of different cultures (some say Constantinople was more cosmopolitan than Rome ever was), differences in religion, etc.

But yeah they did see themselves as Romans, did Roman like things like chariot racing and following Roman law.

(of course I know you know this better than I do but I just thought it's a nice tidbit to add)

Edited by Autumn

They did still change somewhat culturally. What with the different styles of dress, differences in architecture, how prevalent latin/greek was in the empire, prevalence of different cultures (some say Constantinople was more cosmopolitan than Rome ever was), differences in religion, etc.

But yeah they did see themselves as Romans, did Roman like things like chariot racing and following Roman law.

(of course I know you know this better than I do but I just thought it's a nice tidbit to add)

True. But of course they changed culturally. Cultures keep developing. Look at the Empire of the 8th century BC; I assure you that you will find its culture is just as different from the Empire of the 1st century AD as the culture of the 9th century AD is.

And it was only natural for the Empire to hellenize and have its center moved to Greece; not only did the Romans consider Greece the only civilized nation besides themselves, they consider it to be the very start of civilization! Greece and Rome were of the same, superior civilization, according to the Romans themselves.

What is most striking about how the Empire changed was its change in religion. I see that as the most radical breaking point in its history.

True. But of course they changed culturally. Cultures keep developing. Look at the Empire of the 8th century BC; I assure you that you will find its culture is just as different from the Empire of the 1st century AD as the culture of the 9th century AD is.

And it was only natural for the Empire to hellenize and have its center moved to Greece; not only did the Romans consider Greece the only civilized nation besides themselves, they consider it to be the very start of civilization! Greece and Rome were of the same, superior civilization, according to the Romans themselves.

What is most striking about how the Empire changed was its change in religion. I see that as the most radical breaking point in its history.

Yeah exactly. And funnily the adoption of 'barbaric' pants when they went north.

What anime is your avi from Hatt???

It's this really great anime called Imperium Romanum.

The protagonist is this cute girl called Justinian I who does typical girly stuff like go on a bunch of conquests, promulgates thousands of laws and restore the decaying Roman Empire to its former glory.

She's so cute shes my waifu i'd totally do her XD

It's this really great anime called Imperium Romanum.

The protagonist is this cute girl called Justinian I who does typical girly stuff like go on a bunch of conquests, promulgates thousands of laws and restore the decaying Roman Empire to its former glory.

She's so cute shes my waifu i'd totally do her XD

//approves