• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Breezy Kanzaki

• Ein

• Caster

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Rosalina said:

I played an economic simulation for the PC from the late 90s which had Donald Trump as a cheat. If you entered it, you received 10 Mio. $.

Noice. XD

5 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

From what i've seen (didn't play the game yet!)
- Good Story
- New gameplay additions and FE finally treating 'new ground' (like attacks aren't 1-2 range locked anymore, AOE attack, boss enemies with multipe hp bars so you can't oneshot them, etc.)

Pretty much this. Although the boss enemies with multiple HP bars get really really annoying after a while. Mostly because the other new system's implementation (gambits) is very stingy in its usage (you can only use gambits one or two times max), and you absolutely HAVE to use it in order to avoid either a) nasty crit rates or b) getting outright one-shot.

The story is great, I think, it's the grey and gray morality plot people have been wishing for (though pretty much everything leans on the darker shades of grey, actually). I'll reserve full judgement, as I've only seen one story to completion so far, however, the fact that KT worked on this game shows. If you've played Dynasty Warriors, Samurai Warriors and/or have read the Romance of the Three Kingdoms novel, many plot elements you'll find in Three Houses will feel familiar. I personally don't mind it too much, but it is quite noticeable.

9 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Well this is weird. I decided to search "Fogu" to see what Bokujo Monogatari/the former Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons was truly like after having left it sometime back in high school at the latest, and to see what it has become. And I go into the section for Magical Melody, deciding to look over the bachelorettes and bachelors after so many years. I fell in superficial love with Kurt, which is ironic, since I used to want his girl Dia when I younger.😆 

I wish I knew which of them were any good. And don't say "just get Star*shot*". But I do get the sense they should have slowed down title production a little. Having at least one title per console makes sense, and some on the same console are not redundant- MM and AWoL have totally different vibes. But I'll throw a dart at 2008 for when things started getting out of hand. From what I've read of HMDS, maybe that though is where the quality of the titles begins a decline?

This reminds me how I see the Friends of Mineral Town remake both with anticipation... and perhaps some waryness.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

3 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

This reminds me how I see the Friends of Mineral Town remake both with anticipation... and perhaps some waryness.

I would agree with this. I've good memories of Back to Nature and FoMT, but the remakes artwork and graphical direction is little questionable. I understand their explanation for changing Karen's hair color, but she and Gray received wardrobe changes that deviate too much from the originals. Albeit I'd be better if they included the option to have the characters dress in their old attires.

And could they have given the doctor his Magical Melody name of Alex? Just calling him "Doctor" is weird, really weird with him as a marriage candidate.

But as I have those memories, maybe I'd consider buying this redone nostalgia trip one day. Its slow-paced, but that is a difference from other games I play that I can appreciate. It'd give me a chance to reevaluate these games as a critical adult.

P.S.

Give the trophy spouses more interactions! The Harvest Goddess, Gourmet King, and Kappa take sooooo much effort to wed. Make it worth it for more than just achievement/grandstanding.

Oh yeah, it doesn't look like they've shown the Harvest Goddess yet, nor have the two games localized as Story of Seasons had her. Does this mean she is getting a name change to Seasons Goddess? Since "Harvest" is so firmly tied up with the old name Natsume continues to use.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I would agree with this. I've good memories of Back to Nature and FoMT, but the remakes artwork and graphical direction is little questionable. I understand their explanation for changing Karen's hair color, but she and Gray received wardrobe changes that deviate too much from the originals. Albeit I'd be better if they included the option to have the characters dress in their old attires.

And could they have given the doctor his Magical Melody name of Alex? Just calling him "Doctor" is weird, really weird with him as a marriage candidate.

But as I have those memories, maybe I'd consider buying this redone nostalgia trip one day. Its slow-paced, but that is a difference from other games I play that I can appreciate. It'd give me a chance to reevaluate these games as a critical adult.

P.S.

Give the trophy spouses more interactions! The Harvest Goddess, Gourmet King, and Kappa take sooooo much effort to wed. Make it worth it for more than just achievement/grandstanding.

Oh yeah, it doesn't look like they've shown the Harvest Goddess yet, nor have the two games localized as Story of Seasons had her. Does this mean she is getting a name change to Seasons Goddess? Since "Harvest" is so firmly tied up with the old name Natsume continues to use.

Well, I understand if they want to make their BTN/FoMT selves to be different from their 64 counterparts. Since the characters are technically different, despite still being the same in name and appearance. Like, not being familiar much with 64, I do find it to the point of bizarre how they got changed in terms of personality (I think?), occupations and even relations. Though for the redesigns... well, I'll admit I prefer the designs as I've known them for 15+ years. Thankfully Elli is mostly the same, though that new hairstyle is still... Anyway, we just have to remember they're not exactly the originals, it's their 64 selves, so being made more unique is somewhat understandable.

It's likely they may use his name from More Friends of Mineral Town, Trent. I take it you didn't knew that?

Honestly, my biggest worry is that it may be strictly just a FoMT remake. I didn't play BTN; but I do know FoMT is basically a truncated port/remake of it. Like, really, for years I always stood wondering if the whole "protagonist made a friend during his stay at the town during childhood" was really just background stuff or wold have a follow-up thing... only to eventually find it was a detail from 64 and BTN that got only added partially.

Heh, didn't cross my mind; but I guess it would be a nice detail if the special spouses had more to do this time around.

They have. One of the trailers had a brief montage and the HG showed up in one of them.

SMTHarvest Goddess

The SoS games did had the HG. If we consider HG to be a title, then Dessie is the one for the SoS games. The wiki says the old one has a cameo in the first SoS, under the name of Gaia. I don't know if the term HG is used for the SoS games so perhaps it is still under Natsume's. Or it's just a decision choice. Then again, Dessie does have a slightly different title in Japan. 女め神がみちゃま instead of the usual 女神めがみさま. Once we get details of localization, we may see if HG keeps her title or is renamed to Gaia, like in SoS.

52 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Thankfully Elli is mostly the same, though that new hairstyle is still... 

So same tastes as me? Elli was my choice in 64 and BtN/FoMT. Although I might have tried for Anna once in BtN, and I know I made a failed effort for the Harvest Goddess (takes too long to win her over for me to ever play that much).

It's likely they may use his name from More Friends of Mineral Town, Trent. I take it you didn't knew that?

I didn't actually have MFoMT, and didn't notice it on Fogu (which doesn't use the name when mentioning the prior doctor in its MM section), and for some reason the Siliconera article I was looking at to see his redesign just continued to call him "Doctor". My mistakes for not seeing this.😆

The SoS games did had the HG. If we consider HG to be a title, then Dessie is the one for the SoS games. The wiki says the old one has a cameo in the first SoS, under the name of Gaia. I don't know if the term HG is used for the SoS games so perhaps it is still under Natsume's. Or it's just a decision choice. Then again, Dessie does have a slightly different title in Japan. 女め神がみちゃま instead of the usual 女神めがみさま. Once we get details of localization, we may see if HG keeps her title or is renamed to Gaia, like in SoS.

Thank you for this. 

Gaia sounds like a good new name. The earth mother of Greco-Roman myth (also spelled Gaea or Rhea), it's a proper name, better than a title.

The Person Formerly Known As Harvest Goddess looks a little younger judging from that one smile profile shot. Or is it just me?

Well, I understand if they want to make their BTN/FoMT selves to be different from their 64 counterparts. Since the characters are technically different, despite still being the same in name and appearance. Like, not being familiar much with 64, I do find it to the point of bizarre how they got changed in terms of personality (I think?), occupations and even relations.

My very vague memories suggest most of them had the same personalities? I don't recall very much so don't take my word seriously, but Popurri was always vibrant, Karen always cool, Anna always a tomboy, Elli always sweet, and Maria always bookish.

And then you have Ann being an SNES inventor girl, Elli being Ellen the animal girl, Maria goes without glasses, and why at this rate Popurri isn't named Nina like her pink-haired flower-loving SNES predecessor I don't get. I can understand why Eve was replaced by Karen, if Magical Melody is to be gone by, then the two have totally different fashion senses, which says something about them. 

They should try a 64 remake one day. I get why they don't, 64 is rather primitive compared to BtN in terms of content from what I recall. But being more primitive just gives them room to creatively expand.

I also want to try Save the Homeland again. Looking at Fogu, its mining, farming, and animal husbandry are lacking, but the multiple endings you can work towards is novel for the franchise. Whether it'd be worth playing that again to go for them all is something I wonder. I'm thinking I'd start with the Goddess Dress ending, I remember reading on GFAQs it was the ending with the most steps to complete, the name and seeming challenge of it intrigued me.

Just randomly looking at Fogu, Trio of Towns' Inari is unique. Pulling a gender swap so you can always marry them, like Jamie, except your game won't end. It's actually mythologically accurate, the Shinto rice deity has been depicted as male, female, and ambiguously. Though I don't know whether the character's personality changes based on what your are.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

29 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

So same tastes as me? Elli was my choice in 64 and BtN/FoMT. Although I might have tried for Anna once in BtN, and I know I made a failed effort for the Harvest Goddess (takes too long to win her over for me to ever play that much).

Oh, you like Elli too? Heh, yeah, pretty much. I think did I tried for Anna once, even forced Cliff out of town, shame to admit, hahaha. Never attempted the HG.

Thank you for this. 

Gaia sounds like a good new name. The earth mother of Greco-Roman myth (also spelled Gaea or Rhea), its a proper name, better than a title.

The Person Formerly Known As Harvest Goddess looks a little younger judging from that one smile profile shot. Or is it just me?

No, she does look younger. It's likely the artstyle, though her overall appearance is younger-looking from her old look.

My very vague memories suggest most of them had the same personalities? I don't recall very much so don't take my word seriously, but Popurri was always vibrant, Karen always cool, Anna always a tomboy, Elli always sweet, and Maria always bookish.

And then you have Ann being an SNES inventor girl, Elli being Ellen the animal girl, Maria goes without glasses, and why at this rate Popurri isn't named Nina like her pink-haired flower-loving SNES predecessor I don't get. I can understand why Eve was replaced by Karen, if Magical Melody is to be gone by, then the two have totally different fashion senses, which says something about them. 

They should try a 64 remake one day. I get why they don't, 64 is rather primitive compared to BtN in terms of content from what I recall. But being more primitive just gives them room to creatively expand.

Oh yes, personality changes were minor, if any.

The thing about the SNES bachelorettes and the 64/BTN/FoMT ones is that, at least for 64, the latter are explicitely the former's granddauthers. Ann and Anne are two different people, same for Ellen and Elli (heck, Ellen herself appears in 64/BTN/FoMT), Maria and Mary, Nina and Popurri, and Eve and Karen. Ellen was a cook, not an animal girl, actually. Well, she did have an interest in them; but her main job was the cook one.

It's the same for the protagonist. For 64 at least, he's the grandson of the SNES protagonist. Considering how none of the 64 bachelorettes are siblings/cousins with the protagonist, it puts to question just who exactly did the SNES protagonist married. At worst, there's a 1/5 chance the 64 protagonist is marrying their relative. At best, SNES protagonist married a sixth person whose identity is never known.

I suppose at this point it might be redundant, what with the FoMT remake. Still, who knows...

I also want to try Save the Homeland again. Looking at Fogu, its mining, farming, and animal husbandry are lacking, but the multiple endings you can work towards is novel for the franchise. Whether it'd be worth playing that again to go for them all is something I wonder. I'm thinking I'd start with the Goddess Dress ending, I remember reading on GFAQs it was the ending with the most steps to complete, the name and seeming challenge of it intrigued me.

Just randomly looking at Fogu, Trio of Towns' Inari is unique. Pulling a gender swap so you can always marry them, like Jamie, except your game won't end. It's actually mythologically accurate, the Shinto rice deity has been depicted as male, female, and ambiguously. 

Can't say I've played that one, or the ones related to it. Admitedly, it's only FoMT what I've played.

Huh, that sounds interesting.

---

Back to the remake, I'd say, I wonder if they'll keep the TV programs the same, change some, or even expand them since there'd be much more possible room. I'll admit I enjoyed having that much variety on the in-game TV, heh.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

5 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Back to the remake, I'd say, I wonder if they'll keep the TV programs the same, change some, or even expand them since there'd be much more possible room. I'll admit I enjoyed having that much variety on the in-game TV, heh.

As one of those ten players who played this dud:

250px-Channel_EN_boxart.png

I'd be totally down for expanding the options of what you can watch on a TV in a video game. As weird as that sounds.

6 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Can't say I've played that one, or the ones related to it. Admitedly, it's only FoMT what I've played.

Save the Homeland gives you one year to save the town from being converted to an amusement park. To stop that, you have to find something that makes the town worth saving. That is the goal of each ending, finding that thing that saves the town. No marriage, but to get any ending, you need to befriend the right people.

Magical Melody it looks like was invented in part to let you actually wed the characters you couldn't from StH, since all of the bachelorettes who aren't the SNES girls, are from there. And a bunch of the bachelors and NPCs are StH too. I never realized this back then, says how little I remembered StH (which is apparently available for download on the PS4?).

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

As one of those ten players who played this dud:

I'd be totally down for expanding the options of what you can watch on a TV in a video game. As weird as that sounds.

Save the Homeland gives you one year to save the town from being converted to an amusement park. To stop that, you have to find something that makes the town worth saving. That is the goal of each ending, finding that thing that saves the town. No marriage, but to get any ending, you need to befriend the right people.

Magical Melody it looks like was invented in part to let you actually wed the characters you couldn't from StH, since all of the bachelorettes who aren't the SNES girls, are from there. And a bunch of the bachelors and NPCs are StH too. I never realized this back then, says how little I remembered StH (which is apparently available for download on the PS4?).

Yeah, can say only that I know that exists, hahaha.

Oh, I do know about that part. It's an interesting way to have the game develop. It was certainly common for the early games. Game could just end. I take it StH is no different in that aspect?

Whilst I don't mind Harvest Moon's open-ended format, I do like having some end goal to work towards. I don't like A Wonderful Life though, since that is a little too saddening in its realism with the ending being your now-old player character dying a natural death and your grown child following in the career you nudged them towards. Touching, but I have thanatophobia. 

Save the Homeland had an interesting premise with its end goal, different the "farm exams" that end SNES and 64, that's just what I think about it. Although something else, like the 100 Notes collecting in Magical Melody or all the Harvest Sprites in DS are appreciable too. I'm flexible, but having something tangible to work towards that isn't wholly self-imposed, just feels nice.

Pokemon Channel isn't very good. It's like they wanted to make Hey You Pikachu! 2, but without the mic, and Hey You Pikachu! was already criticizable as too easy and too short and insubstantial. Though my young self was entertained by Pokemon Channel for a few days. And it has that Pichu & Pichu anime in it for some reason, that was cute. If you like the Pokemon anime as a whole, see if you can find the Pichu and Pichu thing online. 

I saw they announced a second DLC wave for Soulcalibur VI. They said it originally wasn't going to happen, it sounds like good sales made that possible, players save the day!😄

Apparently, there are two Cassandras in SCVI. One of them is the ordinary warrior girl, the other is her self from the old timeline who is trying to stop SCs IV and V from happening in VI's world. The developers are conscious of how much fans dislike V?

I have been summoned

53 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Three Houses' DLC looking great.

And now permit me to share two Three Houses x Xenoblade jokes of my own (by which i mean two that i found, i didn't make it)