• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Breezy Kanzaki

• Ein

• Caster

Top Posters In This Topic

Why'd I have to be stupid and go into Academic Mode and derail a good topic three posts into it?:facepalm:

5 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

tenor.gif

I like for some reason. A better dancer than all the new FEH alts.

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

480?cb=20190203040101

Nooooooooooo! The tedium! She looks pretty, but the tedium! 

And on a less lighthearted note, I feel sad about what happened to the Bahamas. A Cat 5 sitting over it for over 30 hours, where the highest ground is only 30 feet above sea level. It'll take years and years to mend from all the damage. Hopefully other countries can chip in without the money being misspent. Never realized exactly how very close they are to the US geographically, I knew they were northern Caribbean, but I though they were a little further south.

Just got done downloading the Atelier Arland trilogy.

On less elating news (at least for me), I trashed another story-idea I had while writing it and now I'm right back where I started: A huge world with tons of potential stories to tell... without a story to tell, because apparently, I'm my biggest hater. Ugh.

58 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Nooooooooooo! The tedium! She looks pretty, but the tedium! 

The end result is this

o04pt2meew801.jpg

So it almost makes it the most tedious sidequest in the game worth it.

Almost.

22 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Just got done downloading the Atelier Arland trilogy

Nice nice. I'm curious to hear the perspective of someone who played Atelier Lulua first before the trilogy.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And on more serious notes

44 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And on a less lighthearted note, I feel sad about what happened to the Bahamas. A Cat 5 sitting over it for over 30 hours, where the highest ground is only 30 feet above sea level. It'll take years and years to mend from all the damage. Hopefully other countries can chip in without the money being misspent. Never realized exactly how very close they are to the US geographically, I knew they were northern Caribbean, but I though they were a little further south.

Yeah it's pretty bad. Puerto Rico got hit by a slightly weaker CAT 5......last year, i think, and they're still recovering. The scientific reason for Dorian stalling over the Bahamas is that the steering winds (basically what causes hurricanes to move in the first place) were very weak when Dorian reached the Bahamas. That's why it was only moving at 1 MPH there.

I suppose a positive side to this is that being in the Bahamas for so long caused the storm to degrade down to a CAT 2. As i'm typing this, the area where i live actually is getting some hurricane effect but since CFL is only getting hit by Dorian's outer edges, all we're getting is just some strong winds. It's not even raining.

25 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

On less elating news (at least for me), I trashed another story-idea I had while writing it and now I'm right back where I started: A huge world with tons of potential stories to tell... without a story to tell, because apparently, I'm my biggest hater. Ugh.

Man, that sounds rough. I'm not a writer myself so i don't know how much useful advice i can provide (if it ends up being useful at all) but if you're trying to tell the same story as before but you keep starting over, i suggest keeping what you did like and building from there.

Again, i don't know how useful this advice is because

1. I'm not a writer
  2. I don't know how long you've been at it

But i'm still putting this advice here in hopes that it helps.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

The end result is this

o04pt2meew801.jpg

Aww, that's adorable.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Man, that sounds rough. I'm not a writer myself so i don't know how much useful advice i can provide (if it ends up being useful at all) but if you're trying to tell the same story as before but you keep starting over, i suggest keeping what you did like and building from there.

Again, i don't know how useful this advice is because

1. I'm not a writer
  2. I don't know how long you've been at it

But i'm still putting this advice here in hopes that it helps.

Thank you! Any advice at all is useful, because I'm really at a loss. I'll definitely keep this in mind.
As for point two, it's been one and a half years at least since coming up with my current concepts (which is in itself built on older concepts of mine).

6 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Aww, that's adorable.

She's precious. And the narrative of her sidequest is good too. 

But actually playing the sidequest is a different matter.

7 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Thank you! Any advice at all is useful, because I'm really at a loss. I'll definitely keep this in mind.
As for point two, it's been one and a half years at least since coming up with my current concepts (which is in itself built on older concepts of mine).

Ok so you have been working on it for a while.

I learned this in art class last semester but i think you can apply it to writing as well. Instead of trying to get the entire story written, focus on the absolute basics and write the roughest of drafts. Don't worry about the finer details like the worldbuilding. You'll basically be writing the skeleton of the story where it has only the absolute essentials. So it's probably gonna end up very short but that's ok. Once your skeleton draft is complete and you like it, then you go back in and start adding in the finer details (which would likely result in the story naturally getting longer). By doing a skeleton draft first, if you end up not liking it and you feel like starting over, you won't be losing that much progress.

If you're curious, the art application of that, it's basically, instead of trying to draw everything you see, focus on just simply drawing the outline very lightly. Once that's done and you like it, then you go in and add the finer details.

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

She's precious. And the narrative of her sidequest is good too. 

But actually playing the sidequest is a different matter.

Question is if the reward is worth it or not. I'd say it is, but I haven't played the game in question (nor do I even know which game it is).

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Ok so you have been working on it for a while.

I learned this in art class last semester but i think you can apply it to writing as well. Instead of trying to get the entire story written, focus on the absolute basics and write the roughest of drafts. Don't worry about the finer details like the worldbuilding. You'll basically be writing the skeleton of the story where it has only the absolute essentials. So it's probably gonna end up very short but that's ok. Once your skeleton draft is complete and you like it, then you go back in and start adding in the finer details (which would likely result in the story naturally getting longer). By doing a skeleton draft first, if you end up not liking it and you feel like starting over, you won't be losing that much progress.

If you're curious, the art application of that, it's basically, instead of trying to draw everything you see, focus on just simply drawing the outline very lightly. Once that's done and you like it, then you go in and add the finer details.

This is very useful advice. I struggle with the wording of my stories. I have world-building and character development down, but the words always fail me. Whenever I try to ignore it and just write, it just comes back like a freaking curse and even though I'm telling myself "It doesn't matter, you can take care of that later!" I start questioning everything, down to the plotline and the usual result of that is me giving up in frustration. It sucks.

Edited by DragonFlames

15 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Question is if the reward is worth it or not. I'd say it is, but I haven't played the game in question (nor do I even know which game it is).

It's Xenoblade 2.

From a gameplay standpoint, completeing the sidequest is worth it because not only is Ursula's Affinity Chart filled out in the process, but it also fills out the Affinity Charts of other Blades. But it's just so tedious. Basically, what you have to do is send Ursula and Blades with specific skills (to quicken the time) on specific Merc Missions (basically sidequests that are just completed automatically, most of which can be redone and it can happen even when you aren't playing the game) and you have to do this so many times. Optimally, you'd obtain Ursula pretty early into the game so by the time her sidequest unlocks, you can do it as you play through the story. But as most Rare Blades are obtained via a gacha-lite system (no actual money is involved), if you get Ursula fairly late into the game, then there won't be much you can do to pass the time while you complete her sidequest.

Tl;dr, completing this sidequest once was enough.

15 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

This is very useful advice. I struggle with the wording of my stories. I have world-building and character development down, but the words always fail me. Whenever I try to ignore it and just write, it just comes back like a freaking curse and even though I'm telling myself "It doesn't matter, you can take care of that later!" I start questioning everything, down to the plotline and the usual result of that is me giving up in frustration. It sucks.

Yeah, then getting a skeleton draft that has only the absolute essentials down would be in your best interests, i feel like. Since you already have the world-building and character development down, this actually makes things easier for you since you already know what you want to do for that. So doing a skeleton draft not only would outline the story but what you actually want to write. In other words, this method would help you focus on wording and stuff like that.

Again, i'm not a writer but i hope this all helps.

Edited by Armagon

25 minutes ago, Armagon said:

It's Xenoblade 2.

From a gameplay standpoint, completeing the sidequest is worth it because not only is Ursula's Affinity Chart filled out in the process, but it also fills out the Affinity Charts of other Blades. But it's just so tedious. Basically, what you have to do is send Ursula and Blades with specific skills (to quicken the time) on specific Merc Missions (basically sidequests that are just completed automatically, most of which can be redone and it can happen even when you aren't playing the game) and you have to do this so many times. Optimally, you'd obtain Ursula pretty early into the game so by the time her sidequest unlocks, you can do it as you play through the story. But as most Rare Blades are obtained via a gacha-lite system (no actual money is involved), if you get Ursula fairly late into the game, then there won't be much you can do to pass the time while you complete her sidequest.

Tl;dr, completing this sidequest once was enough.

I can imagine. Holy hell.

25 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yeah, then getting a skeleton draft that has only the absolute essentials down would be in your best interests, i feel like. Since you already have the world-building and character development down, this actually makes things easier for you since you already know what you want to do for that. So doing a skeleton draft not only would outline the story but what you actually want to write. In other words, this method would help you focus on wording and stuff like that.

Again, i'm not a writer but i hope this all helps.

It does help a great deal. Thank you!

---

In other news, here are the Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires versions of the three house leaders! I hope you guys enjoy this (spoilered for picture sizes):
First up: Edelgard

fExkPll.jpg

Then Dimitri (I'm especially proud of him):

qaubPmu.jpg

And Claude:

wB33F61.jpg

And lastly: Male Byleth (the weapon looks the most like the Sword of the Creator, even if the stance doesn't match at all)

34 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

If i may ask, what are you writing, DragonFlames?

Of course you may. It's not exactly a secret, either way.

The world is a fantasy universe, a continent by the name of Kendr, which is divided into several nations, three of which hold most of the power: the Raganorian Empire, the Liphian Republic, and the Kingdom of Vales. They are joined by the Theocracy of Azolas, a desert island to the west of the mainland, from which the Church of Celestia governs over affairs of faith on the continent.
400 years prior to the start of the story, the Island Kingdom of Falba was at war with Raganor and, under mysterious circumstances, sank to the bottom of the ocean with nothing remaining to prove its existence. At the time of the fall, the last soldier of Falba, the kingdom's own princess, succumbed to her illness and died on the last ship that wasn't set ablaze by a previous fire attack by Imperial forces, throwing her holy sword at the enemy general as a last act of defiance.

Cut to present day and a young man, the grandson of a somewhat famous knight in a small duchy, seeks to live a peaceful life away from any trouble in the adventurer's city of Urdheim, which is entirely independent from the larger nations. That, of course doesn't come to pass (because we wouldn't have a story otherwise), because soon after his arrival there, he meets a mysterious young lady in a field of white flowers. She introduces herself to him as the princess of Falba - the same one that died fighting for a homeland that was already lost. One thing leads to another and the two set out to find out what actually happened during the war 400 years prior and how she could have survived dying on a boat and into the present day.

I'm still working on the finer details of the whole thing, but that's basically the premise.
It actually started out as separate stories, with the princess leading one and the young man leading the other, but I decided to blend them together, as I think it would make for an interesting story.

Edited by DragonFlames
spelling, punctuation, etc

XENOBLADE CHRONICLES 1 DEFINITIVE EDITION BABYYYYYY

AND THEY'RE BRINGING BACK THE BIONIS SHOULDER! THIS AREA WASN'T IN THE ORIGINAL GAME!

I LOVE XENOBLADE CHRONICLES, I'M CRYING TEARS OF JOY RIGHT NOW AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

16 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Just when i was planning to start the original one. Might as well wait for this then xD

4 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Of course you may. It's not exactly a secret, either way.

The world is a fantasy universe, a continent by the name of Kendr, which is divided into several nations, three of which hold most of the power: the Raganorian Empire, the Liphian Republic, and the Kingdom of Vales. They are joined by the Theocracy of Azolas, a desert island to the west of the mainland, from which the Church of Celestia governs over affairs of faith on the continent.
400 years prior to the start of the story, the Island Kingdom of Falba was at war with Raganor and, under mysterious circumstances, sank to the bottom of the ocean with nothing remaining to prove its existence. At the time of the fall, the last soldier of Falba, the kingdom's own princess, succumbed to her illness and died on the last ship that wasn't set ablaze by a previous fire attack by Imperial forces, throwing her holy sword at the enemy general as a last act of defiance.

Cut to present day and a young man, the grandson of a somewhat famous knight in a small duchy, seeks to live a peaceful life away from any trouble in the adventurer's city of Urdheim, which is entirely independent from the larger nations. That, of course doesn't come to pass (because we wouldn't have a story otherwise), because soon after his arrival there, he meets a mysterious young lady in a field of white flowers. She introduces herself to him as the princess of Falba - the same one that died fighting for a homeland that was already lost. One thing leads to another and the two set out to find out what actually happened during the war 400 years prior and how she could have survived dying on a boat and into the present day.

I'm still working on the finer details of the whole thing, but that's basically the premise.
It actually started out as separate stories, with the princess leading one and the young man leading the other, but I decided to blend them together, as I think it would make for an interesting story.

I see I see. Interesting. I wish you good luck with it 😄

TMS YES YES! 

But do I double dip? I'm not sure, normally I just buy a game once and thats it. Do I lay down another $60 for mostly the same game? And, I don't feel like diminishing my poor Wii U by taking away one of the rare things on it I'd play again.

Though it looks like this game is making Tiki and Maiko playable, which is really awesome- provided they good availability. And oh yeah, Barry too looks like he is a fighter now. >_> Maiko was supposed to be playable originally, as a Dancer, which at the time would have meant Olivia. But going for the more popular and recent Azura it seems is absolutely fine and reasonable.

The Quick Session feature sounds as though it addresses one of TMS's QoL problems, which is a good move.

But, what remains to be seen and which concerns me, is whether I can take Itsuki out of the active cast. 10 playable characters, but only 3 active slots with one locked to single character, is very limiting. Even more binding is when certain fights lock a second slot too.

...SMTV? Is Atlus still in an existential crisis over the franchise's direction after Apocalypse?

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

AND THEY'RE BRINGING BACK THE BIONIS SHOULDER! THIS AREA WASN'T IN THE ORIGINAL GAME!

I LOVE XENOBLADE CHRONICLES, I'M CRYING TEARS OF JOY RIGHT NOW AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Looks so much better now. Now this reminds me of Primordia in a good way. The Wii let the creativity shine through despite graphical limits, but HD makes everything better even so.

Me when Monolith Soft reveals Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive

2 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Just when i was planning to start the original one. Might as well wait for this then xD

Oh yeah, definitely wait for the definitive version.