• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Breezy Kanzaki

• Ein

• Caster

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are you posting THAT? I know too well what that is, I'm just asking why. -Don't get my hopes up.

Is it symbolic of XCX now? An old piece of tech, wasting away in distant waters? Yet to be lifted out and brought life again on Switch?

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Why are you posting THAT? I know too well what that is, I'm just asking why

Because i find it funny when i post Xeno images out of context, especially if it's something that will make even the most seasoned veterans wake up in a cold sweat.

Like this

uLztnDW.gif

38 minutes ago, Lysithea said:

I have to admit I know nothing about Xenoblade 1 aside of Shulk and a few bosses and music themes from Project X Zone 2.

But people praised it and I love Shulk in Smash and love Xenoblade 2, so I have good reasons to look forward to it. 

Yeah, the general opinion is that Xenoblade Chronicles has a better story and protagonist than Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I personally disagree but i'm aware it's a bit of an unpopular opinion.

I actually have some Xeno tier lists i wouldn't mind sharing (spoilers because of big images)

The games ranked overall

Spoiler

8QVa7e8.png

The games ranked by story

Spoiler

Qzc99Jj.png

The games ranked by gameplay

Spoiler

GVmP0iz.png

And all the Xeno protagonists 

Spoiler

d0nxatc.png

(what do you mean there's bias in this list)

Edited by Armagon

Forgot this series also had parts for non Nintendo consoles. 

I almost refused Kos-Mos's existence.

I know X shall be the black sheep of this series for many people, among others for being really difficult for newcomers to this series. 

BTW I just got to know that FE x SMT gets a port for Switch too. 

Is it a recommendable game (for someone who likes FE and SMT separately) ? 

Edited by Lysithea

1 minute ago, Lysithea said:

I know X shall be the black sheep of this series for many people, among others for being really difficult for newcomers to this series. 

The problem with X is that it doesn't teach you shit. It also has the most hostile world out of any Xenoblade game, so it's definitely the hardest. Not a good starting point imo, even if the game itself is good.

Also, Xenoblade X's story takes a back seat to literally everything else so those looking for a more story-driven experience won't really find it there. Xenoblade X initially got a lot of flak because it wasn't like Xenoblade 1.

Though i suppose the music can be a turn-off for some people. It takes some getting used to. I hated Black Tar when i first heard it. But now? It's one of my favorite battle themes.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Like this

uLztnDW.gif

Normally, I would not advise running into the camera if you're trying to flee from something, but this is a .gif of beauty. Never realized just how good Simians were as pitchers.

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

i am tired

so tired

*Yawn* So am I. Partly because a dog of mine was walking around throughout the night because their mind was a little fried after a ~monthly three-day fit of ~10 seizures. They just wouldn't go to bed. They're fine now thankfully.

1 hour ago, Lysithea said:

BTW I just got to know that FE x SMT gets a port for Switch too. 

Is it a recommendable game (for someone who likes FE and SMT separately) ? 

The story is weak, the characters can be tropey, and the entire J-pop and slice-of-life humor can be serious turnoffs for some people.

• The game's use of FE is mostly stylistic, with some gameplay references such as physical attacks being divided into Sword, Lance, Axe and Bow elements. But it is by no means a typical FE with the characters you love as you know them in it. But you will see Anna -and sir, she needs you to pay for that curry so hot it'll bring the unconscious back to life.
  • Nor is it an SMT, no bleak post-apocalyptic world, no alignment system with varied endings, no demon recruitment.
  • Nor is this a Persona game, contrary to what people smear it as, for: the life sim aspects, social commentary, and psychological collective unconscious mumbo jumbo; are greatly lacking compared to P3 and beyond Persona games.

So then, what is it is, and what are Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE's strengths?

The core strength of TMS is its gameplay. The combat is up to Atlus's usual turn-based standards, making this game more of an SMT in practice.

• Targeting enemy weaknesses trigger Sessions, where the other characters automatically gang up and pound away on the targeted enemy. This is like the Demon Co-Op attacks of Strange Journey, which shares a director or something with TMS, and from what I hear, All-Out Attacks in Persona 3 and beyond. 
    • A quality-of-life in the form of a "Quick Session" option has been added to this game's Encore edition. This should correct an issue well-noted about the original version- sitting through every Session adds up as time wasters.
    • Spell names and some physical attacks use SMT standards. From Agi to Zio with Mediarahan and Myriad Arrows in between. SMT -kajas, -kundas, and -karns return too. 
  • The original game has 7 playable characters, and thing are pointing towards Maiko, Tiki, and possibly even Barry gaining playable status in the Encore edition. 10 characters is good. And while you have only 3 out fighting at any time, the rest gain EXP in reserves, and you can swap any non-Itsuki character for one in the Sub-Cast without wasting a turn. 
    • Unfortunately, as that exception indicated, one of three character slots is always locked to Itsuki, even when in a handful of fights a second character slot is locked. This very annoying, and unfortunately, the Encore trailer did not show it whether it is possible to remove Itsuki in this port. I hope they do, or at very least that they patch it in. No reason Itsuki has to be in every skirmish.
  • The game has multiple difficulties. Hard, which I played on in full, is a fair challenge, some bosses proved outright difficult. There was a Lunatic, but it was NG+ only in the original version, so I don't know how hard that is not having played it.
  • The game's dungeons are pretty good. Compared to the glorious Nocturne, the greatest of SMT's 3D dungeons, TMS is weaker, but it is much better than say IV and Apocalypse.
    • In dungeons, enemies manifest as anonymous phantom-like things that will chase after you if you get close enough and then begin a battle. So like SMTIV. Reds are your standards, while the once-in-while black ones are Savages who will likely maul you if not absolutely prepared, and it's best you flee using the guaranteed "mercy action". Itsuki can swing his sword on the field to knock down non-Savage enemies, giving you sometimes an advantage in battle if you then choose to fight them.
  • To strengthen your characters, you upgrade their weapons by acquiring Performa from slain enemies and bringing it to Tiki to convert into via Carnage Unity into new Carnages- weapons. Each weapon contains a set of skills to obtain, be they commands, passives, or session skills. Learning the same skill twice can strengthen it a little, to a point. Everyone has a limited number of skill slots for each of the three types, with a bit of variety for customizing what you give them.
  • Radiant Unity provides for a separate set of passives that don't use the same slots. Just using the characters increases their Stage Rank to unlock the Performa needed for these.
  • Eventually, you will unlock Class Change, which will alter the appearance of a character's Mirage, permanently unlock a couple new Carnages for creation, and provide stat boosts. The two Class Change options of each character gives different Carnages and distribute the stat boosts differently, for a minor optimization aspect.
  • Each main character except Itsuki also has a set of three optional sidequests that unlock over time. It puts them through a little character development, and unlocks for them new SP-using commands called Special Performances, or random-but-powerful Ad-Libs, or random-but-also-strong Duo Arts.

Graphically, the game takes pride in its colorful, dashing aesthetic. It's pushing no realism boundaries, but the garish flair certainly works for me. Has some decent anime cutscenes, used primarily for song sequences.

Musically, the game is pleasant on the ear, no problems in this soundtrack. Everything works for what scenario it is intended for. There are the J-pop songs written exclusively for this game smattered about, but you can skip past them if you want. Some of them aren't half bad I'll admit.

In Conclusion:

If you can accept this isn't SMT nor Fire Emblem but an independent Altus project with Fire Emblem veneers, then the game isn't so bad. If you can successfully accept, ignore, eyeroll, and or laugh at the silly anime-Jpop elements, the game is even better. It won't be perfect, but the strength of the turn-based JRPG gameplay is enough to make it seriously worth considering.

The score you give this can reasonably range from 7-8.5 I'd say. Maybe 6/10 if narrative matters that much to you though you still don't think it the be-all-end-all of games. But anything less I think would be sign less of "fair dislike", incongruence or just a lack of interest, and more outright hate for this.

1 minute ago, Nobody said:

I'm curious, what do you think will happen? New elections? No brexit, hard brexit, soft brexit? I have no idea

Boris said today that he "would rather die in a ditch" than ask for a Brexit extension.

I would normally just think that he's full of shit and playing the politics game but I don't even know anymore.

We default as a hard brexit but Boris is doing things like trying to call a snap election and failing.

49 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

We default as a hard brexit but Boris is doing things like trying to call a snap election and failing.

won't Labour support Snap Elections when the no-no-deal bill gets royal consent?

And afaik, Tory (+Brexit Party) will have majority if elections happen, and Boris will be able to 'purge' moderate conservatives then, which will undoubtly lead to no deal.

That all taking into consideration the EU agreeing to an extension, which is still in the air. Although i think EU will agree to one if re-elections happen.

Edited by Shrimperor

1 hour ago, Tryhard said:

Boris said today that he "would rather die in a ditch" than ask for a Brexit extension.

I would normally just think that he's full of shit and playing the politics game but I don't even know anymore.

If I may ask, how do you as a someone from Scotland feel about the whole Brexit deal.

Looking at the Scotish places communities and comparing them to UK communities on the net are almost like day and night.

I once heard Brexit described as "a solution in search of a problem". With the fall of the Soviet Union in the late 80s and early 90s, the Labour Party moved more towards the political centre. In response, some in the Conservative Party believed they had to find a new way to differentiate themselves, and so they stumbled on the idea of Brexit. 

Although, another, different source said that the Conservatives have had a problem with "Europe" since Thatcher. And that prior to Brexit, the idea was to massage the problem, which never exactly sufficed, and now the massage has been thrown out the window.

Said individuals sounded trustworthy and intelligent, but I haven't a clue how accurate those descriptions are.

3 hours ago, Hekselka said:

If I may ask, how do you as a someone from Scotland feel about the whole Brexit deal.

Looking at the Scotish places communities and comparing them to UK communities on the net are almost like day and night.

scotland is just more remain than leave but it's not like it's overwhelming - it was 62 to 38%. you're more likely to find people here that don't approve or are fed up with the concept of brexit but that doesn't mean that no supporters exist

evidently i'm not in favour of it and the only real thing it shows me is that the UK government is far more inept then the EU could ever hope to be

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Said individuals sounded trustworthy and intelligent, but I haven't a clue how accurate those descriptions are.

boris has become more incompetent than may in about 40 days in power

Edited by Tryhard

6 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

We landed in a wrong Timeline somehow after 2012.

The world really did in end in 2012, just not the way we expected it to.

Maaaaaaaaan, i feel old remembering the 2012 hysteria. Or maybe it was just me genuinely believing it and i'm just assigning that feeling to everyone else. I was 12 at the time.

Also there was a movie about that. It was bad.