The Last To Post Wins!

Darros

8 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

This game is on the Switch, I presume? Next to Atelier Ryza, Super Neptunia RPG, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Nights of Azure 2, heck, even Atelier Rorona, this looks pathetic, in all honesty. While graphics aren't everything, I do expect more from the company that sits on the Pokémon money like a dragon on a stash of gold. Then again, looking at Sword and Shield, those expectations are too high.

Aight let's not pretend like Sword and Shield's visual graphics haven't been improving since it's initial announcement.

I don't think that Game Freak should just be dogpiled with criticisms but they studio needs improvement. The biggest problem with Game Freak, at least when it comes to Pokemon is that they just don't try anymore. The series peaked in Black and White 2 and has been slowly going downhill from there. Gen 6 introduced this trend of having gimmicks and yeah, Mega Evolution actually was cool but X/Y were just decent enough. Sun/Moon was decent enough too but Z-Moves felt like another gimmick. Then comes along Sword and Shield, where they're getting rid of both Mega Evolution and Z-Moves as well as Snapping away a good percentage of Pokemon.

The visual side of Sword and Shield isn't bad but it still looks like a 3DS game. Some people point to Game Freak's rather small numbers and schedule as the reasoning for why their games looking the way they do but contrary to what a lot of people seem to be saying nowadays, Game Freak isn't actually small enough to be considered indie. To be considered indie, you'll usually have like 30 employees max. Game Freak has 143 employees.

Game Freak has 143 employees and with Little Town Heroes releasing a month before Sword and Shield, it's fair to assume that their workforce has been split. But then you consider that Monolith Soft was developing Xenoblade Chronicles 2 with only 40 employees+minimal outsourcing because most of their workforce was working on Breath of the Wild. And yet they were still able to do make the best game on the Switch (in my opinion). Now to be fair, Xenoblade doesn't come out every year unlike Pokemon but then you compare Sword and Shield to Atelier Ryza. Both Pokemon and Atelier are yearly releases except it feels like more effort is being put into Atelier Ryza than Sword and Shield. And we can't even use the "oh, Pokemon has 900+ character models to develop" argument because Game Freak's entire reasoning for them pulling a Thanos on the Pokemon world is because they "wanted to focus on higher-quality animations" and yeah, the game is looking better and some animations do look cool but like, it doesn't feel justified.

So to go back to what i said before, Game Freak's biggest problem is that they just don't try anymore, at least with their Pokemon projects. They have the biggest video game franchise on the planet and that's not getting into all the other stuff that came with that. So like, why bother trying? They could put out a half-assed remake of Pokemon Yellow (the Let's GO) games and still sell millions of copies (just Googling, Let's GO sold about 10 million copies). Pokemon Masters made 26 million dollars on it's first week. Even Fire Emblem Heroes didn't make that much on it's first week. So like, are we ever gonna get another spin-off game? Will we get another Mystery Dungeon game that is as good as Explorers of SkyHell, most of Pokemon's spin-off games nowadays are on mobile.

On the more positive side of things, i am liking other aspects of Sword and Shield, namely the character and Pokemon designs. Galarian Weezing is a God-tier design.

Image result for galarian weezing

And on the spin-off side, let's be real: the first two weeks of Pokemon GO was the closest we ever got to world peace.

4 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Is this only the second announcement video for the game? No other trailers or hands-on gameplay? 

Nope. There was just the initial trailer and then the most recent one came in the most recent Direct........which got overshadowed by a lot of things. It wasn't even trending on Twitter.

The game didn't even have a proper name until just a few days ago.

4 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Honestly though, I am willing to give the game a chance if the reviews come in positive. I expect the game to be a sales flop anyhow, and possibly result in Game Freak retreating more into its Pokemon cocoon. But, that I won't mind, I did buy Codename S.T.E.A.M. and enjoyed it- that Intelligent Systems flop where I found it cheaper new than used.

And, the premise that nobody in the village has ever seen the world beyond the town itself would hint at an obvious plot twist. But whether it's rated PG or goes more drastic is a guessing game, with me divided between pessimism and optimism.

I do expect in a few years from now, you'll probably find Little Town Heroes in a "Top 10 obscure Switch games" video but for now, the game is flopping hard before it's even being released. Game Freak typically doesn't advertise it's non-Pokemon games, at least to my knowledge. Little Town Heroes is just getting it worse because it's releasing so close to Pokemon and as you said, the price tag is a bit too high for a digital only game.

I will say though that the most interesting thing about the game is the fact that Toby Fox is composing the music.

Edited by Armagon

• Replies 179.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Breezy Kanzaki

• Ein

• Caster

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

And like the whole direct, it was forgotten in favour of Sans xD

We can't keep letting the funny skeleton get away with this lmao.

Edited by Armagon

It may fall flat again but... maybe I will have something for the next prompt of the writing thread. Maybe...

At least I started writing something... two somethings, actually... before erasing them...

On 9/8/2019 at 12:17 PM, Shrimperor said:

you misunderstood me xD

I meant that for all the money GF has, their games are pretty much indie quality

Oh, I did understand that. I just wanted to reinforce your point.
That last sentence was misleading, though. I'll admit. XD

18 hours ago, Armagon said:

On the more positive side of things, i am liking other aspects of Sword and Shield, namely the character and Pokemon designs. Galarian Weezing is a God-tier design.

Image result for galarian weezing

Personally, I like the original Weezing better.
Some of the other new Pokémon look alright though, I'll agree there.
Then again, I won't be getting Sword and Shield no matter what, because

18 hours ago, Armagon said:

So to go back to what i said before, Game Freak's biggest problem is that they just don't try anymore, at least with their Pokemon projects. They have the biggest video game franchise on the planet and that's not getting into all the other stuff that came with that. So like, why bother trying? They could put out a half-assed remake of Pokemon Yellow (the Let's GO) games and still sell millions of copies (just Googling, Let's GO sold about 10 million copies). Pokemon Masters made 26 million dollars on it's first week. Even Fire Emblem Heroes didn't make that much on it's first week. So like, are we ever gonna get another spin-off game? Will we get another Mystery Dungeon game that is as good as Explorers of SkyHell, most of Pokemon's spin-off games nowadays are on mobile.

This.

32 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Then again, I won't be getting Sword and Shield no matter what, because

19 hours ago, Armagon said:

This.

That but also for me, the biggest reason why i'm not getting Sword and Shield is because the removal of a good chunk of the Pokemon available (not even in a Black and White way where they were only unavaliable during the main story) is genuinely a deal breaker for me.

Edited by Armagon

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

That but also for me, the biggest reason why i'm not getting Sword and Shield is because the removal of a good chunk of the Pokemon available (not even in a Black and White way where they were only unavaliable during the main story) is genuinely a deal breaker for me.

Actually, I wouldn't even have minded the lack of older Pokémon so much if the excuse wasn't so flimsy.
I remember when Ruby and Sapphire first came out (16 years ago... damn, I'm old), you couldn't transfer your Pokémon from the Gen 1 and 2 games* either due to the many new changes to the system they've made (Natures, a maximum of 31 IV per stat instead of 15, and the 510 EV cap - all of which I'm not entirely fond of). If they had kept it that way and "cut off the branches" so to speak between each Generation (or at least whenever they jump to a new system) with no way to transfer old Pokémon to new games and ideally only having the new Pokémon available, I'm pretty sure people wouldn't be upset now.

*Gen 1 and 2 being connected makes at least a little amount of sense, because the regions are right next to each other.

2 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Tfw you  had to take a Taxi to get to your appointment because you waited for the bus who should come every 10 minutes for 30 minutes and he didn't come.

BVG pls. It isn't even winter yet. It's just some rain <.<

That's public transportation for you.

Being somewhere where public transportation exists is better than a place where the auto industry stabbed it to death a century ago. The tyranny of the automobile I say, it gives the individual freedom yes, but I dislike the burden of actually having to drive. I want those self-driving cars buyable and affordable yesterday!

Playing more Ys VIII, I've realized the chime that plays when you get something nice is very similar to the Metroid upgrade one. Where are the Space Jump and Screw Attack?

I tried Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. First I got Blue Rescue Team, which I completed after a long time and then did a little postgame for. Then, I got Explorers of Time, but I only went as far as the Groudon battle, I'm not sure why, but I might have just lost interest in the game. Mystery Dungeons aren't my thing I think. And, from what I recall, my starter was pretty lousy for the dungeons up to Groudon.

21 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Oh, I so wanted to play that one... but never had the chance to aquire the game.

It isn't as bad as people have made out to be. Not perfect, but I still enjoyed it, albeit I only got it for $10. Who knows how I'd feel with the full price tag?

The game felt tight for me for much of it. You only get four characters per mission, with some healing options, but with enemy reinforcements often being endless, you have to move securely and quickly. The first couple missions really drive that sense into you, even when things let up later.

And, that gameplay feeling does align with the comic-book narrative. You aren't actively repelling all the aliens in the world, you're on a pinpoint mission to survive and then eradicate them at their core leaving the rest to wither and die. 

I might actually place CNS over Valkyria Chronicles in gameplay when I think about it (I've never played XCOM). Not to call VC1 and 4 bad, but even with The Fox being a sniper extraordinaire (who didn't have to be broken if only there were fewer Prowlers and more Hounds), the game is far less cheesable than either VC. 

And, since this is a Fire Emblem fansite, a compilation of all the FE tracks that play in Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. if you use all four Fire Emblem amiibo characters don't though, Ike is baaaaaaaaad!.

On the subject of Mystery Dungeon... Oh, I liked the Rescue Team ones. I had Red, then years later got Blue. Mostly since by this point in time it's more likely either the GBA cartridge or the GBA itself may start failing, unlike Blue, which is in my Wii U.

Though I could never recruit Celebi... those kind of dungeons are a bit frustrating. I think the farthest I got was a floor in the 70's. At this point, I wouldn't be ashamed to abuse the Wii U's built-in save state to cheese it out... seriously...

I also got Explorers of Sky. Though I've yet to beat it.

16 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It isn't as bad as people have made out to be. Not perfect, but I still enjoyed it, albeit I only got it for $10. Who knows how I'd feel with the full price tag?

The game felt tight for me for much of it. You only get four characters per mission, with some healing options, but with enemy reinforcements often being endless, you have to move securely and quickly. The first couple missions really drive that sense into you, even when things let up later.

And, that gameplay feeling does align with the comic-book narrative. You aren't actively repelling all the aliens in the world, you're on a pinpoint mission to survive and then eradicate them at their core leaving the rest to wither and die. 

I might actually place CNS over Valkyria Chronicles in gameplay when I think about it (I've never played XCOM). Not to call VC1 and 4 bad, but even with The Fox being a sniper extraordinaire (who didn't have to be broken if only there were fewer Prowlers and more Hounds), the game is far less cheesable than either VC. 

Personally, my biggest draw is that it's a crossover game, heh. Though that should be expected of me. As I once saw it described, it's basically "League of Extraordinary Gentlement"; but in video game form. Too bad they couldn't secure the rights to use Zorro himself.

I'd say, it's a shame the game didn't do better. It teased sequel bait; but now it might never happen. Or has very very slim chances to. Now I'll never know what exactly means that The Fox has the Second Mexican Empire flag in her special attack. Is she a supporter? Is it because the game likely takes place in 1866 when that government was more or less the "official" one? What did happened to that war because of the Shoggoth stuff? Ah, so many questions on that!

3 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Tfw you  had to take a Taxi to get to your appointment because you waited for the bus who should come every 10 minutes for 30 minutes and he didn't come.

BVG pls. It isn't even winter yet. It's just some rain <.<

Germany's capital has a mobility problem apparently. 

If this situation happened to me, my traffic operation had to take the costs for a delay of 20 minutes or more. However this requires there is no other public transport line near by and the delay is not caused by strike or higher force. I count rain hardly as higher force. 

Anyways I hope for the 1 € / day ticket. I could save about 40 % by that. Paying currently 600 € / year for a sub ticket for my hometown. However the range is extended in weekends which is really nice.  

Edited by Lysithea

3 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I'd say, it's a shame the game didn't do better. It teased sequel bait; but now it might never happen. Or has very very slim chances to.

It'd have to be someone's "I don't care about sales, this is my passion project!" for a sequel to happen. I'm afraid to say more people might have bought the game for the Majora's Mask 3D pin than the game itself. Less than 2000 copies were apparently sold in the first week of Japanese sales.😨

8 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Now I'll never know what exactly means that The Fox has the Second Mexican Empire flag in her special attack. Is she a supporter? Is it because the game likely takes place in 1866 when that government was more or less the "official" one? What did happened to that war because of the Shoggoth stuff? Ah, so many questions on that!

Ah yes, I'm familiar with Napoleon "Le Petite" III's little American project. Take advantage of the USA being stuck in its Civil War, and enthrone a Habsburg prince on Mexican soil to make the country pliable to French influence. Lasted until the Civil War resolved, and the victorious North began threatening intervention, causing Napoleon III to abandon his project posthaste, and leave Maximillian to die to Mexican rebels opposing his puppet rule.

If this game was in 1866, then I hope the alien crisis led to the removal of Andrew Johnson as US president. But, if Grant managed to earn more accolades as a result of the alien invasion and still became president a few years later, then that isn't good either. Also, how would the aliens have altered the course of Reconstruction? It was a failure in the end, just Southern vehemence for the North and African-Americans saw their ephemeral rights recede. Aliens probably made the latter never even start, and the former became difficult to establish when aliens likely eradicated the South's population already ruined by war.

20 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It'd have to be someone's "I don't care about sales, this is my passion project!" for a sequel to happen. I'm afraid to say more people might have bought the game for the Majora's Mask 3D pin than the game itself. Less than 2000 copies were apparently sold in the first week of Japanese sales.😨

Ah yes, I'm familiar with Napoleon "Le Petite" III's little American project. Take advantage of the USA being stuck in its Civil War, and enthrone a Habsburg prince on Mexican soil to make the country pliable to French influence. Lasted until the Civil War resolved, and the victorious North began threatening intervention, causing Napoleon III to abandon his project posthaste, and leave Maximillian to die to Mexican rebels opposing his puppet rule.

If this game was in 1866, then I hope the alien crisis led to the removal of Andrew Johnson as US president. But, if Grant managed to earn more accolades as a result of the alien invasion and still became president a few years later, then that isn't good either. Also, how would the aliens have altered the course of Reconstruction? It was a failure in the end, just Southern vehemence for the North and African-Americans saw their ephemeral rights recede. Aliens probably made the latter never even start, and the former became difficult to establish when aliens likely eradicated the South's population already ruined by war.

It's certianly a shame.

Well, as Ronald Reagan once said: "I occasionally think how quickly our differences worldwide would vanish if we were facing an alien threat from outside this world." Considering this is a work of fiction that leans more on idealism, it's likely we avoid the more cynical view of "we go back to hating each other once the common threat is gone", so perhaps things will be for the better?

As far as speculation goes, I'd think that the Second Empire's fate in that world would be that of survival. Considering the time it would take to set-up the S.T.E.A.M. organization, they were likely aware of the threat of the Shogoth, or at least that any threat could happen, much earlier. By 1865, the Republican rebels were on the ropes, so I doubt the US government would help prolonge that civil war, weakening humanity with in-fighting. So they'd instead force them to peace. In short, this is the ASB event that would drive Max and Juarez to join forces. Which for Mexico... it just couldn't be a better outcome, out of the circumstances. Only real losers there would be the Conservatives, which already were when the monarch they got was too Liberal for their tastes, hahahaha.

Hey, this is pretty cool actually. Seems like the artbook is for the whole series too. You know what would be even cooler though? A release date.

Because it's the Switch, i plan on downloading the game so i won't really have an opportunity  to get these goodies. But i'd imagine scans of the artbook will make it online and i can see it there. Honestly, the entire artbook can just feature only Clorica and i'd be ok with it. You see this girl

latest?cb=20150722221942

She is the best girl in Rune Factory 4. This is a scientifically proven fact, if you disagree, you are wrong.

Ok but back to the release date, or lack of, i'm really curious as to why. Yeah, Special is adding some new things but for the most part, the game is a remaster, not a full on remake. XSeed localized the original version of the game too, so like what, did they lose the translation or something? I'm glad the game didn't release on the same day as it's Japanese version because that was one day before Three Houses but i genuinely don't understand why it's taking so long to come out in the West. Now of course, i don't work with localization so maybe there's some shit behind the scenes going on that's causing it.

10 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Actually, I wouldn't even have minded the lack of older Pokémon so much if the excuse wasn't so flimsy.

Well yeah the excuse is bad but also what led up to the whole thing. Like a week before E3, Pokemon had it's own presentation, for some reason, and they revealed Pokemon Home, which was basically the next way to transfer your Pokemon from the 3DS games to Sword and Shield. At no point did it ever suggest that it would only be for certain Pokemon. It isn't until the E3 Treehouse livestreams when they just "oh yeah, you won't be able to transfer certain Pokemon". Like a month later, they put out a statement that basically said "yeah we hear your complaints but fuck you, we're doing it anyway". 

Tl;dr, bad excuses and terrible PR.

11 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

I remember when Ruby and Sapphire first came out (16 years ago... damn, I'm old), you couldn't transfer your Pokémon from the Gen 1 and 2 games* either due to the many new changes to the system they've made (Natures, a maximum of 31 IV per stat instead of 15, and the 510 EV cap - all of which I'm not entirely fond of).

Haha, i was a toddler when Gen 3 happened and i wasn't even aware of Pokemon's existence until well into Gen 4. Didn't get my first Pokemon game until Gen 5 (White version). Anyway, the whole Gen 3 transfer fiasco happened both because of the new changes but also because the technology for games wasn't really that advanced. Game Boy -> Game Boy Color was simple because the latter was literally the same device but with color. Game Boy -> Game Boy Advance was different because at the time, backwards compatibility wasn't really a thing and things just weren't as developed.

10 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Can somewhat confirm this. I haven't beaten Code Name Steam, as i got stuck in one mission but all of them have required me to take it seriously wheras Valkyria Chronicles 1 (haven't played 4), has some hella cheesable strats. Like Ch.17, iirc, you can just smoke bomb and snipe the boss from within and she can't counterattack. 

That reminds me, i still haven't beaten VC1 because i'm too lazy to train up my Lancers. Lancers were terrible throughout the entire game but all of sudden, they are pretty much vital for Ch.19. 

7 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

a punctuality problem. Especially the busses, they are very very often late.

Ok to be fair, when aren't the buses on time? Like, just in general? Over here in Florida, the buses never arrive on or close to the stated time. It's like 15 minutes too early or 15 minutes too late. And sometimes they don't even show up on the official tracking app so whenever that happens on days i have to go to my college campus, i just have to assume a bus is on the way and hopefully get to the bus stop at a convenient time so that i'm not spending long periods of time under the hellish ball in the Florida sky.

One day i'll stop getting random captchas whenever i submit a post on this site. Whenever i get those captchas, i also can't edit the post for a good while. Does this happen to anyone else btw?

44 minutes ago, Armagon said:

One day i'll stop getting random captchas whenever i submit a post on this site. Whenever i get those captchas, i also can't edit the post for a good while. Does this happen to anyone else btw?

Very rarely. I think it's due to specific circustmance; but I can't recall what would it be. The last time I had to deal with the captcha, it's been months now.

47 minutes ago, Armagon said:
Because it's the Switch, i plan on downloading the game so i won't really have an opportunity  to get these goodies. But i'd imagine scans of the artbook will make it online and i can see it there. Honestly, the entire artbook can just feature only Clorica and i'd be ok with it.

She is the best girl in Rune Factory 4. This is a scientifically proven fact, if you disagree, you are wrong.

Ah, the reminders of how much I want a Switch... at least I still have the original RF4. Which reminds me, I still need to do the whole Rune Prana thing.

Har har har. That ain't Margaret.

I suppose Clorica is okay. Don't get the using the butler title thing... though I suppose they thought it funny to subvert the obvious/easy route of her being referred to as a maid. I'm half-half to the sleepwalk thing. At times is amusing, at times is just... not.

25 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Very rarely. I think it's due to specific circustmance; but I can't recall what would it be. The last time I had to deal with the captcha, it's been months now.

For me, it seems to happen at most when i spend too long typing up a post. But even then, it's inconsistent.

28 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Ah, the reminders of how much I want a Switch... at least I still have the original RF4. Which reminds me, I still need to do the whole Rune Prana thing.

I also do have the original version. It's just i don't feel like getting out my 3DS. I remember i was working towards buying that one really expensive house. Would it be worth it? Probably not. But i needed a goal since i had done pretty much everything else except the endgame dungeons you can access from the basement.

Ugh, the bus talk reminded me of those times I had to deal with... tardy buses. One time I waited like 2 hours for the bus... didn't showed up. Ended up walking ALL the way home. While there was a taxi route I could use... it's quite hard to find a taxi with space to board. The fact I walked all the way showed there was none that day. Turns out, eventually I found out that particular route was being discontinued. Hindsight.

THere was this other time... waited two and a half hours and no bus passed on the direction I needed to take! Ended up taking a bus going the other way, arrive at the route end, then board it again. Worst of all, en route I saw the buses coming the right way... turns out ALL of the buses were in the same half of the route. Just the trek from the school to my home is like a half-hour ride at least. Which means no bus had passed that way for even longer than two-and-a-half hours. So, if only I had waited like 15 minutes more... Now, as to why I didn't left the bus and boarded one going the right way... I didn't had the money. I was lucky the people handling the route were quite understanding and allowed me to re-board the bus free of charge (since otherwise you have to pay the fee again to re-board the bus after it reaches an end point). Just. The. Worst.

22 minutes ago, Armagon said:

For me, it seems to happen at most when i spend too long typing up a post. But even then, it's inconsistent.

I also do have the original version. It's just i don't feel like getting out my 3DS. I remember i was working towards buying that one really expensive house. Would it be worth it? Probably not. But i needed a goal since i had done pretty much everything else except the endgame dungeons you can access from the basement.

I'll have to admit that I've been putting the whole of Act III on hold. I'm trying to get my character married first. Not much of a reason, just for narrative reasons. I like the idea of the whole "bringing back Ventuswill" thing to be something that happens X years from her leaving. Since after the child is born, the calendar year jumps seven of them, iirc.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Like Ch.17, iirc, you can just smoke bomb and snipe the boss from within and she can't counterattack. 

That strat returned in VC4. And I found it rather needed for the one fight where a loli with a crossbow who always applies an Order to deal critical damage or something. Because the enemy ambushes you on turn 1 and takes their actions before you, she tends to use it to blow up your light tank. Smoking her makes for a quick and easy kill, but that buys you only a little good, because she endlessly revives like every other turn. Still, it's consistent, and it works, and you don't want her around for longer than she has to be.

And, since you stopped at the Jaeger battle in VC1, I'll say VC4's comparable battle with a large but not unrealistically HUGE tank, is even worse. Since you start in the middle of the map, with little cover, directly to your south is the big boss tank target across open ice. That isn't so bad. What is, is the tank commander's girlfriend to the north, an invincible Valkyria raining devastating icicles from afar, with only a rare roof able to block out her shots. Thats why I just cheesed the fight in one turn, because surprisingly they didn't get rid of the Penetration + Demolition Boost + Shocktrooper strat, so goodbye went the tank.

VC4 is good, but, it didn't fix VC1's flaws as much as I hoped. I can't quite ignore that.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

But i'd imagine scans of the artbook will make it online and i can see it there.

If you find the scans, tell me. I'd be interested in this. The artstyle of the Rune Factories has some appeal for me.

Although I think I might skip Rune Factory 4 Special for my reentry into the series, right away at least. I'll wait for them to actually reveal information about 5 and see how much more substance it has. Then, maybe I'd get 4S discounted later if 5 turns out to be the best RF yet.