Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Breezy Kanzaki

• Ein

• Caster

Top Posters In This Topic

EDsmk4AWkAUGPF1.png

22 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I'll have to admit that I've been putting the whole of Act III on hold. I'm trying to get my character married first. Not much of a reason, just for narrative reasons. I like the idea of the whole "bringing back Ventuswill" thing to be something that happens X years from her leaving. Since after the child is born, the calendar year jumps seven of them, iirc.

The calendar jumps five years after the child is born, not seven. And yet no one except the child ages.

Trying to get married in Rune Factory 4 is kinda wack because you need to view both an event specific to the character and their pre-marriage event, in that order. Both of which happen by chance (though you can savescum). So depending on how things go, you can potentially get married before the end of Act I or way after the end of Act III (which is what happened to me). So i'm hoping Special kinda cuts down on that randomness factor.

17 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

VC4 is good, but, it didn't fix VC1's flaws as much as I hoped. I can't quite ignore that.

That's quite upsetting. I liked Valkyria Chronicles 1 but there were a lot of things in it that made me go ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. The gameplay was interesting, but i wasn't a fan of the constant turn limits (20 in every map except Ch.4 where it was 10). Aside from that, while the story characters were good enough, the other units felt like actual fodder. I felt like it wouldn't matter if some died, though letting units die in Valkyria is near impossible given the generous grace period (which i liked).

Is the story of VC4 any better? I liked the premise of the first game: an empire invading a peaceful, neutral nation, not because "muh right to conquer" but because it was a fight for resources..............................and then the plot devolved into exactly just that. All the villains agree on conquering Gallia because they just want to and the story forgets about the resources they were fighting for in the first place. The only exception is Jaeger, who has personal reasons. And Selvaria but she's just horny for Maximillian. Still though, it's not a bad story, i was just led into expecting more.

13 minutes ago, Armagon said:

The calendar jumps five years after the child is born, not seven. And yet no one except the child ages.

Trying to get married in Rune Factory 4 is kinda wack because you need to view both an event specific to the character and their pre-marriage event, in that order. Both of which happen by chance (though you can savescum). So depending on how things go, you can potentially get married before the end of Act I or way after the end of Act III (which is what happened to me). So i'm hoping Special kinda cuts down on that randomness factor.

I thought the text said the child had turned seven. Or maybe I'm mixing it up with RF2, since the kids are seven years old there.

Speaking of time jumps, I'm pretty sure there's a one-year jump somewhere right before, during, or right after Arc II.

Ugh, yeah, I wish they change that. It's quite tedious. Specially with Margaret, because it's FOUR events you need to trigger before then triggering the pre-marrige event. Worth it, though.

All in all, it's a good thing there's very few repeatable events. Even then...

---

On the topic of VC, I got to see the anime of the first game before playing the game. Just some random fact. Was decent enough, I'd think.

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

Well yeah the excuse is bad but also what led up to the whole thing. Like a week before E3, Pokemon had it's own presentation, for some reason, and they revealed Pokemon Home, which was basically the next way to transfer your Pokemon from the 3DS games to Sword and Shield. At no point did it ever suggest that it would only be for certain Pokemon. It isn't until the E3 Treehouse livestreams when they just "oh yeah, you won't be able to transfer certain Pokemon". Like a month later, they put out a statement that basically said "yeah we hear your complaints but fuck you, we're doing it anyway". 

Tl;dr, bad excuses and terrible PR.

Yup. GameFreak/The Pokémon Company shot themselves in the foot with that one.

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

Haha, i was a toddler when Gen 3 happened and i wasn't even aware of Pokemon's existence until well into Gen 4. Didn't get my first Pokemon game until Gen 5 (White version). Anyway, the whole Gen 3 transfer fiasco happened both because of the new changes but also because the technology for games wasn't really that advanced. Game Boy -> Game Boy Color was simple because the latter was literally the same device but with color. Game Boy -> Game Boy Advance was different because at the time, backwards compatibility wasn't really a thing and things just weren't as developed.

Well, the mainline series peaked in Gen V, particularly with Black 2/White 2 (Gen IV still has the best spin-offs, though. Ranger Guardian Signs and Explorers of Sky are really good games in my opinion), so you went in at the right time, I'd say.
That aside, you're of course right. Technology wasn't that advanced back then.

Trying to remember, I think I wasn't bothered by the inability to bring Pokémon from Gen II to Gen III. Maybe it was really not that important to me, or maybe it was I soon knew of the Kanto remakes before I really thought about it. I do remember wondering how the heck to obtain the missing Johto Pokémon, learning of the purpose of the Altering Cave in the Sevii Islands. Then I found out they were shoved to Emerald's expanded Safari Zone... and that was that.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Trying to remember, I think I wasn't bothered by the inability to bring Pokémon from Gen II to Gen III. Maybe it was really not that important to me, or maybe it was I soon knew of the Kanto remakes before I really thought about it. I do remember wondering how the heck to obtain the missing Johto Pokémon, learning of the purpose of the Altering Cave in the Sevii Islands. Then I found out they were shoved to Emerald's expanded Safari Zone... and that was that.

I wasn't bothered by it, either, because I was eager to try the new Pokémon (because that's what I usually buy new games for - which is precisely why I didn't bother with Gen VII, as none of the new Pokémon appeal to me).
If you had every Gen III game, including XD and Colosseum (you needed these for Lugia and Ho-Oh - not that that's a bad thing), you could get every Pokémon aside from the usual, stupid event exclusives.

more Public transport Stories:

A few years ago, right before the Brexit referendum, i was in London. My return flight was at 5 in the morning...

Train that was suppossed to bring me to Victoria station from which i will go to the Airport was canceled, and the next one was set to come in two hour, and thus missed my flight.

And you know what's funnier? It was cheaper to book a new flight next day from Heathrow airport than Train ticket to Stansted airport.

The winter before last i went down to buy some stuff fast, expecting to just get bus, go to market come back, so i wore light-ish clothes for Winter....

The bus i planned to return to didn't come for an hour, and thus i returned to home walking for a hour, in the cold, with light-ish clothes, seeing aloooooooot of people on the way waiting for the bus that came a hour+ late

Edited by Shrimperor

Went to Gamestop again after a year.

The seller was competent and could solve my favor (giving me a memory stick for my PSP), but then he recommended me a psycho-killing game and shared all his passion for it...

I could successfully move to a Tales talk thankfully.

Gamestop is hiring the strangest creatures of the planet...

7 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

more Public transport Stories:

A few years ago, right before the Brexit referendum, i was in London. My return flight was at 5 in the morning...

Train that was suppossed to bring me to Victoria station from which i will go to the Airport was canceled, and the next one was set to come in two hour, and thus missed my flight.

And you know what's funnier? It was cheaper to book a new flight next day from Heathrow airport than Train ticket to Stansted airport.

The winter before last i went down to buy some stuff fast, expecting to just get bus, go to market come back, so i wore light-ish clothes for Winter....

The bus i planned to return to didn't come for an hour, and thus i returned to home walking for a hour, in the cold, with light-ish clothes, seeing aloooooooot of people on the way waiting for the bus that came a hour+ late

In-country air travels can be indeed more favorable than train travels unless it is a company like flix.

My transport stories would be: I am in a driving foreigners's registration office.

I am feeling like a foreigner myself, not gonna lie.

Not that it bothers me, but if people do not talk in my native language, or at least try, I can become quite ignorant.

Thankfully since my new work I do not have these obnoxious and long train travels anymore.

My bus travels are short and comfortable, however having10-15 minutes delay is quite common.

11 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Yup. GameFreak/The Pokémon Company shot themselves in the foot with that one.

Well, the mainline series peaked in Gen V, particularly with Black 2/White 2 (Gen IV still has the best spin-offs, though. Ranger Guardian Signs and Explorers of Sky are really good games in my opinion), so you went in at the right time, I'd say.
That aside, you're of course right. Technology wasn't that advanced back then.

That's not Soulsilver.

13 hours ago, Armagon said:

That's quite upsetting. I liked Valkyria Chronicles 1 but there were a lot of things in it that made me go ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. The gameplay was interesting, but i wasn't a fan of the constant turn limits (20 in every map except Ch.4 where it was 10). Aside from that, while the story characters were good enough, the other units felt like actual fodder. I felt like it wouldn't matter if some died, though letting units die in Valkyria is near impossible given the generous grace period (which i liked).

Is the story of VC4 any better? I liked the premise of the first game: an empire invading a peaceful, neutral nation, not because "muh right to conquer" but because it was a fight for resources..............................and then the plot devolved into exactly just that. All the villains agree on conquering Gallia because they just want to and the story forgets about the resources they were fighting for in the first place. The only exception is Jaeger, who has personal reasons. And Selvaria but she's just horny for Maximillian. Still though, it's not a bad story, i was just led into expecting more.

In VC4 you can unlock the equivalent of paralogues for fodder units so that's good.

VC4's story is alright. Most VC fans seem to prefer VC1. I think both have some good story beats and never reach average levels so eh.

I prefer the villains if only because they have Waltz, he's one based soulmate.

VC4's improvements are mostly gameplay based. There's a new class, a lot of new orders aaaaaand some well needed balancing...as someone who first played VC4 and then played VC1 I was blown away by how OP the scouts are. Especially Belgian bread girl GODLicia.

On the subject of public transportation, i had to take a two hour bus drive from my campus to my house. Problem was, buses do their last run at 8 PM. I got onboard the first two buses fine but missed the last one. It was around 8:50 when i got to the last stop. So what did i do? I walked. It was pretty nice actually, being able to walk around without the Florida sun cooking me alive. I stopped by the nearby Wawa, got myself a small meatball sub. All things were good.

10 hours ago, Hekselka said:

aaaaaand some well needed balancing...as someone who first played VC4 and then played VC1 I was blown away by how OP the scouts are. Especially Belgian bread girl GODLicia.

And yet, I still managed to 1-turn the one fight where you have to liberate some town for a resistance force in VC4. Scouts and Shocktroopers in both games were my bread and butter, everything else was situational, with Lancers being particularly underutilized. But I did like the APC, and the fact that tanks now only need 1 CP per turn to use. Though, the 1 CP cost is partly why I didn't need Lancers so much, a tank is just as good at being anti-tank as a Lancer.

-Admittedly, I developed something of a "save every turn" problem. Does it say the gameplay wasn't absolutely something I loved if I did? Or was I just given over to the easy ways out?

10 hours ago, Hekselka said:

I prefer the villains if only because they have Waltz, he's one based soulmate.

And he can make his troops to walk through fire unharmed by just telling them to.😀

I should see about emulating VC2 or 3 somewhere down the line. Apparently their approach to map design differs arguably for the better from 1&4, but 2 has a dullllllll school plot apparently, and each has some new flaws in their gameplay.

After playing it exclusively for the past few days, I think I'm going to swap from Ys VIII to FFXII. Even though they're both new, best to try 'em out before the return by for a refund date expires. Dinosaur Island is starting to gain a little narrative steam, but it is getting a bit tiresome at the moment. And after a while with XII, it'll be onto 3H.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And yet, I still managed to 1-turn the one fight where you have to liberate some town for a resistance force in VC4. Scouts and Shocktroopers in both games were my bread and butter, everything else was situational, with Lancers being particularly underutilized. But I did like the APC, and the fact that tanks now only need 1 CP per turn to use. Though, the 1 CP cost is partly why I didn't need Lancers so much, a tank is just as good at being anti-tank as a Lancer.

-Admittedly, I developed something of a "save every turn" problem. Does it say the gameplay wasn't absolutely something I loved if I did? Or was I just given over to the easy ways out?

True, I still found the game harder than VC1. VC1 you can complete 85% of the game with scouts + orders and it gets only easier when you get super Alicia. In VC4 figuring out how to one turn takes a lot more effort imo and your rank is not punished as hard by the game as in VC1.

Yeah, they need to find a way to make lancers better now that they introduced mortars and the apc/Tank only needs one CP to use. 

I never did that because it felt too cheap imo. The only time I saved every turn was when I had to redo the final boss on hard to get the true ending. 

5 hours ago, Armagon said:

Three Houses can finally be a challenge. But the Death Knight will still fall to-

>Death Knight has cav weakness immunity meaning Lysethia can't execute him on the spot

*snip*

HOW DARE YOU IS!

I heard about maddening. I also heard that it's barely changed from what people managed to mine out of the game >_>

7 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

should see about emulating VC2 or 3 somewhere down the line. Apparently their approach to map design differs arguably for the better from 1&4

Nope.

It isn't for the better at all, but for the much much much much much much worse.

In VC2/3, Maps are broken into small ''map parts'', and these map parts keep getting repeated over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

It's the main reason i dropped VC3 halfway through it, because i got bored of the repeating maps. I did like the bits of Story i played tho more than others

Very interesting seeing discussion about Valkyria Chronicles 2 and 3 because i was under the impression that these games didn't exist.

Honest question, is there a reason those two games never get acknowledged?

47 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Very interesting seeing discussion about Valkyria Chronicles 2 and 3 because i was under the impression that these games didn't exist.

Honest question, is there a reason those two games never get acknowledged?

for 2:
Psp
School

For 3:

Psp
lack of official localization

Alot of people love 3 though, despite the bad map design, it had class variety and trees, and the Story & Characters loved by alot of people

Edited by Shrimperor

image0.png

Nomura, for the love of God, stop putting Dementors in Final Fantasy 7. 

I'm not even that big of a Final Fantasy fan (by which i mean i've only played 7 and i haven't gone past Gold Saucer cause i kinda just stopped caring) but the writing of the remake is the biggest thing that concerns me and every time i see shit like this, it just gets worse, even if the rest of the game looks amazing.

57 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Alot of people love 3 though, despite the bad map design, it had class variety and trees, and the Story & Characters loved by alot of people

Oh that sounds pretty interesting. A problem with Valkyria Chronicles 1 gameplay is that there's only 5 classes, but you'll only ever use Scouts and Shocktroopers, with maybe a Sniper and Mechanic for your tank. And even after promotion, there isn't really a reason to use the new weapons.

7 hours ago, Hekselka said:

I heard about maddening. I also heard that it's barely changed from what people managed to mine out of the game >_>

That......shouldn't be right. From what i've seen, people are getting destroyed by the mock battle. And i've seen the stats on some enemies and they look pretty tough.