• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Breezy Kanzaki

• Ein

• Caster

Top Posters In This Topic

I found my new favorite video game area theme yesterday:

I think the title translates to "Waterside Poem". It's so peaceful, I almost forgot to play the game for a moment and just listened to the music for a good ten minutes. The area where this plays is also really beautiful.

23 hours ago, Hekselka said:

Eh, I was never a big fan of her. I did only play the original three games though, I don't know if my opinion would change if I played the newer games.

This is how I see it:

Neptune > Plutia = Noire >>> Vert >> Blanc

Sisters: Nepgear > Uni >>> Ram and Rom

Histoire is still the best though.

Tier Maker to the rescue!
Yes, I made a Nep tier list. HDD forms are tiered by how much I like their designs, as they technically still are the characters; I also excluded the villains, so it's playable characters that I know only.

vzJ6eQN.png

Please don't kill me.
I also just realized I forgot Tekken. Damn it. She'd be in the Great tier, easily.

Edited by DragonFlames

Hey guys

Depending on where you are in the world, it's September 19th, 2019 (since i live in the States, it's the 18th). You know what that means?

It's the one year anniversary of this absolute masterpiece.

19 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I found my new favorite video game area theme yesterday

Peaceful.

You know, this reminds me but something that's slightly disappointing about the soundtracks of Atelier Totori, Meruru and Lulua is that there aren't a whole lotta unique area themes. Not to say there weren't or that these themes were bad at all but for most areas, they simply used a variation of the world map theme. Atelier Rorona differs in this regard because every area had it's own theme.

21 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Tier Maker to the rescue!
Yes, I made a Nep tier list. HDD forms are tiered by how much I like their designs, as they technically still are the characters; I also excluded the villains, so it's playable characters that I know only.

vzJ6eQN.png

Please don't kill me.
I also just realized I forgot Tekken. Damn it. She'd be in the Great tier, easily.

>IF in F

Aight, i can't let this slide

Dm6_2m1W4AAmj-P.jpeg

Here's my correct tier list, sticking to the same rules as you (though i did leave out the HDDs)

CONbYjB.png

Everything outside of The Best is unordered.

Oh right, before i forget. If you're a fan of both Trails and Neptunia, imma show you something that's gonna curse your mind with knowledge. What if i told you that.....

......S-Sha just looks like genderbent Awakened Rean? Don't believe me?

latest?cb=20180628055913

latest?cb=20160507215134

White hair? Check. Red eyes? Check. Sword wielding character? Check. Black clothes (even if that only applies to CS4 Rean only)? Check.

You're welcome.

Edited by Armagon

10 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Peaceful.

You know, this reminds me but something that's slightly disappointing about the soundtracks of Atelier Totori, Meruru and Lulua is that there aren't a whole lotta unique area themes. Not to say there weren't or that these themes were bad at all but for most areas, they simply used a variation of the world map theme. Atelier Rorona differs in this regard because every area had it's own theme.

True.

12 minutes ago, Armagon said:

>IF in F

Aight, i can't let this slide

Dm6_2m1W4AAmj-P.jpeg

Didn't I ask people not to kill me?!?
I think we've discussed this before, but IF more often than not crosses the line into plain mean-spirited a-hole territory (which is actually the same problem I have with Ultradimension Noire and Blanc). I liked her until about halfway through Re;Birth 1, then it was all downhill from there.
That's just my interpretation of things, however, and it doesn't really matter much in the grand scheme of things.

19 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Here's my correct tier list, sticking to the same rules as you (though i did leave out the HDDs)

CONbYjB.png

Everything outside of The Best is unordered.

Obligatory "My Tier List Is Superior To Yours" comment.
I'm kidding, obviously.

Nobody likes Red. XD

19 minutes ago, Hekselka said:

Planeptune going strong!

They are pretty awesome, after all.

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Oh right, before i forget. If you're a fan of both Trails and Neptunia, imma show you something that's gonna curse your mind with knowledge. What if i told you that.....

latest?cb=20180628055913

latest?cb=20160507215134

White hair? Check. Red eyes? Check. Sword wielding character? Check.

You're welcome.

Can't ever unsee.

Honestly, though, S-Sha reminded me more of Lightning from Final Fantasy XIII, specifically her XIII-2 design (S-Sha is a much better character, though).

tfw you write a program, get it to run for a few hours while sitting in the office not being able to do anything
and then you get
Nothing

dissapointment.jpg

18 minutes ago, Armagon said:

i always saw her as a genderbent Crow tbh

EEv6_jOWkAUdUFT?format=png&name=900x900

Sirfetch'd, huh? Should've been called Sir'posterous. Anyway, it's actually really cool that Farfetch'd is getting an evolution after being irrelevant for 22 years. Dunsparce is next, right? 

11 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I think we've discussed this before, but IF more often than not crosses the line into plain mean-spirited a-hole territory (which is actually the same problem I have with Ultradimension Noire and Blanc). I liked her until about halfway through Re;Birth 1, then it was all downhill from there.
That's just my interpretation of things, however, and it doesn't really matter much in the grand scheme of things.

That's fair. My personal interpretation is that she's socially awkward as hell but masks that with how chuuni she is. I never felt she was being mean intentionally.

Honestly, though, S-Sha reminded me more of Lightning from Final Fantasy XIII, specifically her XIII-2 design

Makes sense, given that S-Sha is Square Enix but as an anime girl.

(S-Sha is a much better character, though).

I haven't even played 13 and i don't need to to know that. I have heard no good things about FF13 aside from maybe the visuals i guess. But SE is consistently good at visuals.

5 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Now that you mention it, i can see it too.

Edited by Armagon

I just finished my first Ys (and perhaps on b/c no PC/PS4) in Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana. I had to do it today, if I didn't, I feel like this game would have ended up in the Endgame Limbo where so many games I play do.

Gameplay-wise, Ys VIII was a nice ARPG. Game dragged on a little too long in gameplay and narrative, I expected it to be more like a 30 hour game, it ended up being a 60. But, Dana's optional dungeon was fun, if easy (played only on Normal- but I'd suck on harder difficulties).

I did really like Dana, which isn't something I take for granted, given mystery special power girls aren't at all my thing. And yet, Dana felt like an independent character more than a trope. They did well to lay out her character with foregrounding scenes before she is actually playable, her Sarai and Olga friendships helped cement her as a character. The tragedy of Dana was beautifully touching, but saddening. It was depressing enough that I might not ever play the game again, although I could have been getting too much into it personally.

And on a more random note, the NPC of Rastell, at first, I though his VA was the same as Tiz Arrior's from Bravely Default. But then later scenes with him made it deeper than Tiz's. I'm not sure if I was mistaking his VA originally, or if the VA actually started as Tiz's and got deeper later. But the possibility he shared a VA with Tiz, who I've crushed on, led me to cultivate a crush on Rastell, well that and his personality and shirtlessness. Which only made the realization he would inevitably die a virgin all the more saddening. He and Dana deserved to be together.

Well then, onto FFXII tomorrow! Hopefully it'll be great. I know it to be a more open-worldish FF, with XC1 back in the early days being compared to it. Albeit XII I've heard is very lacking in plot. Still, this Zodiac Job System better be good. I know the Switch is the "easiest" version of the game with infinite no-cost resetting of assigned jobs and job points, but I'll try to stick to using all Jobs without resetting even once if I can. A pretty world and fun fighting, thats all I'll ask for.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I expected it to be more like a 30 hour game, it ended up being a 60.

Ys 8 is the longest Ys, is also jokingly called Ys no Kiseki sometimes 😉

~30 Hours Ys are Ys 7 and Celceta

the rest are ~10-15 hours.

Did you get the True Ending btw?

Edited by Shrimperor

39 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Ys 8 is the longest Ys, is also jokingly called Ys no Kiseki sometimes 😉

I think the issue is the middle of the narrative. They needed to get to Dana a bit sooner. Starting with "stuck on deserted island, lets gather survivors and get off" is a fine introductory hook. So was adding dinosaurs to the mix as a big threat. But, they spent too much time there. Maybe they should've had Dana sleeping in the location currently taken by the Silent Tower, since the White Memory mentioned Eternians moving southward.

And I wonder if Ys 9 will match 8 for length. Or if Nihon Falcom will step back a bit from doing so much.

I saw online there was a True Ending when I was glancing a website to find all the fish locations. So I went for it.

Although given all it asks you to do max Approval on everyone and do a bunch of other ordinary things so you can to get Adol a 200+ Reputation (mine was 255), I probably would have gotten it naturally. I really wanted to explore the Isle of Seiren in full, and I did.

As for the True Ending itself (MASSIVE SPOILERS!)

Spoiler
  • Dana living is good. Sarai living with her is good. Dana becoming the Goddess of Evolution gives her immortality, so I approve.
  • The entire adventure and world being a dream of Maia is fine for me. This is a god's dream, which is more acceptable than a bunch of ordinary mortals just so happening to have the same dream at the same time.
    • Although Maia did say she plans to sleep again soon. So what would happen to the world she created after waking? Would it be absorbed into her dream? Or would her new dream world be apart from the world she has just created. And would Dana be responsible for evolution both worlds if they are separate?
  • The true final boss has a little problem of why it must be fought at all. All Maia says afterwards is that to see Dana, you must come into contact with the Origin of Life. That didn't necessarily mean I had to stab it. But, this is a video game, a JRPG specifically, you need a final fight, unless you're Mother, then you just do creepy stuff that takes the form of a battle.

• Not Good- Eternia never got resurrected. I wish it had. Bring back the Ocean, Ice Age, Insectoid, and Sky Eras too, I liked the final dungeon. Just restore Aegias and its citizens, leave the rest of Seiren wild. And restore the capitals of whatever the other eras' dominant species had, wherever they were.

the rest are ~10-15 hours.

Sound like tasty morsels then. Even if from a glance of Wikipedia Ys 8 belongs to a gameplay paradigm only begun with 7, if I ever get the chance to play any of them legally, I will.

Although has Ys 5 ever been fan-translated? If it has, then I'd be willing to emulate it owing to the lack of an official English release.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

As for the True Ending itself (MASSIVE SPOILERS!)

honestly, the ending is the one thing i hated about the game

Spoiler

-Dana madoka'ing herself is way too sad after all she did. Not to mention Adol loses another Person 😕

-True final boss sucked. Was too tanky (is also jokingly called Sponge of Life) 
Dana section Final boss is what should've been the final boss imho. Io the FE dragon 👌

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Although has Ys 5 ever been fan-translated? If it has, then I'd be willing to emulate it owing to the lack of an official English release.

I think there is, but i recommend waiting for the Remake like everyone is doing atm. It's the only old Ys game not to be remaked so far (1/2->Chronicles, 3->Felghana, 4->Celceta), and should be remaked next.

4 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Is this a thing every Ys game does or is Ys 8 basically the Cold Steel 4 of Ys games in which it's the only game in it's series to have more than one ending?

4 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

I.....wasn't expecting that tbh. The Ys 7 map seems kinda small with the plains between each town (and dungeon) being by far the biggest part of the world. I'm guessing there'll be going back and foward, or perhaps there's more the map than meets the eye. The desert town, where i'm currently headed towards, is like at the bottom left corner of the map.

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Even if from a glance of Wikipedia Ys 8 belongs to a gameplay paradigm only begun with 7,

As someone who's playing through 7, i'm curious how 8 improves on it when i inevitably get to it, though i am debating on if i get it on Switch or PC. Given that i have a Pro Controller, playing action games on my PC is far more viable for me now (i have been playing Ys 7 with keyboard controls but it's fine there since Ys 7 is more top-down-but-at-an-angle 3D than full 3D like Ys 8 is).

Edited by Armagon

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

As someone who's playing through 7, i'm curious how 8 improves on it when i inevitably get to it, though i am debating on if i get it on Switch or PC. Given that i have a Pro Controller, playing action games on my PC is far more viable for me now (i have been playing Ys 7 with keyboard controls but it's fine there since Ys 7 is more top-down-but-at-an-angle 3D than full 3D like Ys 8 is).

The game might have better technical performance on PC. The Switch port, at least now (initial release might have been a different story), has a minor technical issue in enemies when seen in the distance have laggy animations. All it does is immersion break though, since once you're in striking range of the enemies, the lag disappears.

Also "top-down-but-at-an-angle" might be summarized in the word "isometric". I haven't played 7, so I can't say if that fits the word.

The original release of Ys 8 had a really bad NISA translation I've been informed. So bad they had to patch in massive improvements later, the PC version should have the patch if the Switch version does. I don't know what all the issues were, but I recall one smaller one being "Archaeozoic Chasm" was originally translated as "Archaeozoic Big Hole". Technically "Big Hole" is acceptable English, but no one would refer to a geological feature like that, hence the change.

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

honestly, the ending is the one thing i hated about the game

About your second comment:

Spoiler

The one walkthrough I've found puts the true final boss at 400000 HP (on Normal I guess, if difficulty affects HP values).

By comparison, the boss that is final but not if you get the true ending, has 97800 HP. With a mere 19 less Def. The Silent Tower optional superboss has 134000 HP, and over 100 more Defense than the true final too.

As for Io, she was fun to fight. I liked having to counter her styles with Dana's styles, and a dragon form was perfectly fine for expressing it rather than fight a Dana clone. The transformation provided a little weight to the myth that Eternians were descended from Saurians/Primordials. I assumed the worst in Io when I realized she wasn't just a little girl. That she ended up being a force of good was a little surprising.

More surprising was hearing the Vita version lacking Dana's alternate styles and the Crypt entirely. Which means no White Memory either. That entirely hollows out Past Dana in gameplay.

33 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Also "top-down-but-at-an-angle" might be summarized in the word "isometric". I haven't played 7, so I can't say if that fits the word.

Yeah, that's the word. 

33 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The original release of Ys 8 had a really bad NISA translation I've been informed. So bad they had to patch in massive improvements later, the PC version should have the patch if the Switch version does. I don't know what all the issues were, but I recall one smaller one being "Archaeozoic Chasm" was originally translated as "Archaeozoic Big Hole". Technically "Big Hole" is acceptable English, but no one would refer to a geological feature like that, hence the change.

Yeah, i've seen the original translations. Most of the name changes weren't actually that different. Archaezoic Big Hole was kinda cringe but other than that, i don't remember anything terrible on the naming front. A lot of it reminded me of when people were getting mad over the name changes in Fates despite name changes being a thing in every Fire Emblem before Three Houses.

What was unacceptable of the original Ys 8 localization though is that some lines were just straight-up untranslated. Reminds me of Rune Factory 4 where the localization is pretty good but one of Margaret's lines didn't get translated. But it was literally just the one so i guess it slipped under Xseed's radar. I don't expect to see the untranslated line in Special.

But anyway, people really hated the original Ys 8 localization, weren't that big a fan of the updated one and that's why people got skeptical when NISA announced they were localizing Cold Steel 3. I'll have to see it for myself in it's entirety.

Edit: Oh yeah, regarding Ys 8, i can't find the article but i remember reading that the reason Falcom hasn't ported anything else to the Switch is because they kinda don't feel the need to. Ys 8 wasn't ported by them and they aren't opposed to the rest of their games being on Switch but their reasoning was that since most of their playerbase is on Sony and PC, there isn't really a reason for them to branch out. I understand the reasoning but it's also kinda dumb because i guarantee Falcom would get a boost to their sales if their games were on Switch. Before Ys 8 got put on Switch, i didn't even know what the series was but that's what got me interested in Ys and Falcom in general.......even though i played every pre-Cold Steel 3 Trails game before i even touched Ys. But like you get the point.

Also since the Vita is dead, the Switch is like, the JRPG machine now.

Edited by Armagon

32 minutes ago, Armagon said:

A lot of it reminded me of when people were getting mad over the name changes in Fates despite name changes being a thing in every Fire Emblem before Three Houses.

I'm still disappointed no one got renamed to Musashi or Benkei.

11 hours ago, Armagon said:

That's fair. My personal interpretation is that she's socially awkward as hell but masks that with how chuuni she is. I never felt she was being mean intentionally.

That's fair, too. I won't deny she has her moments where she's genuinely great.
Another thing I won't deny is that her skills Dragon Demon Flames and La Delphinus are incredibly strong. She's also very fast, which is good in any turn-based game. Now if only she wasn't so dang squishy.

11 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Can't unsee that, either.

11 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

jO3ywEq.png

I notice we all ranked Uzume and Umio pretty high and Red very low.
Also, LOL at the "Conquest" tier.

10 hours ago, Armagon said:

Is this a thing every Ys game does or is Ys 8 basically the Cold Steel 4 of Ys games in which it's the only game in it's series to have more than one ending?

15 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

only Ys 8, so far.

Well, there's Origin with it's 3 Routes, and only 3rd route is considered ''true''

As someone who's playing through 7, i'm curious how 8 improves on it when i inevitably get to it

Jumping is back, sprinting is back, better Enemy & Boss Design, and there are Solo Sections. Not to mention smoother control & Gameplay in general

though i am debating on if i get it on Switch or PC.

with PC it's a dice roll. Either it runs perfectly (like with me) or it crashes 24/7. People are still getting crashes to this day. Thanks NISA.

10 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

About your second comment:

I also was playing on Nightmare, which made Sponge sooo spongy <.<

Trails of Cold Steel 3 is 8 days away from releasing over here.
I think I'll be skipping this one or at least wait until it goes on sale or something. Reason being, CS2 left on a bit of a sour note and I can't exactly see things improving a whole lot in the sequel (and I was spoiled on a number of things that furthered that impression). Gameplay and especially the music will be undoubtedly fantastic (I mean, it's Falcom, so...), but still.

Also the fact that I still have two whole Atelier games to go through after I finish Rorona (which I expect will be sometime soon). And I want to get those done by the time Ryza comes out.

Edited by DragonFlames

More Promare bangers

3 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

with PC it's a dice roll. Either it runs perfectly (like with me) or it crashes 24/7. People are still getting crashes to this day. Thanks NISA.

DnlQ17BW4AA_ek4.jpeg

Yeah, i think i'll just get the Switch version. I'll take somewhat lag from distant enemies over potentially straight-up crashes.

9 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Another thing I won't deny is that her skills Dragon Demon Flames and La Delphinus are incredibly strong. She's also very fast, which is good in any turn-based game. Now if only she wasn't so dang squishy.

Don't forget Apocalypse Nova, which was my go-to EXE Drive until it got nerfed in ReBirth 2 and after.

5 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Trails of Cold Steel 3 is just 8 days away from release over here.

More like, an entire month. Release got pushed back to October 22nd. It was originally September 26th or 29th depending on the region but now everyone in the West gets in on the same day. 

I also won't be getting the game at launch but that's because i don't have a PS4 haha. But maybe that's a good thing because while i totally would be ok with playing Cold Steel 3 and Atelier Ryza at the same time (the latter comes out a few days later), i think i'll only have the time to focus on one for that point time and with no PS4, i can 100% focus my game time to Atelier Ryza as i'm pretty sure i'll have cleared my backlog by then (my backlog isn't that big and the games i still need to complete are either short or i'm nearly done). It's not like i'm getting anything else in October.

Cold Steel 3 will come to PC eventually.