The Last To Post Wins!

Darros

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1062040/Dragon_Star_Varnir/ Witches witches 😄

Re: show, don't tell.

Here's something i consider to be a bad example: CS2. The  game keeps talking about War here, War there...

But there wasn't a War anywhere, and the game failed to make the player feel like a War is going on or showing it.

That's a case where the writer kept telling us about something, yet didn't show it, which made it utterly fail on itself,

Good Example: Ys 8. You are in Island, and you have to survive. The game shows you that by making you defend yourself from monster attacks, helping in building a village, while exploring said island.
The game doesn't keep reminding you you need to survive by telling you, but by showing you.

Another Good Example: Sky Sc chapter. Seeing how society trying to survive without technology, how everything became a pain in the ass to do, etc. It showed us, not just telling us

• Replies 179.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Breezy Kanzaki

• Ein

• Caster

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

21d9848.jpg?width=243&height=499

Well, the marketing is definitly on point here.

Did you know that there was apparently a time when Atelier fans were accused of being pedophiles?

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Mmmm, i do think there is a bit of an unhealthy obssesion with "show, don't tell". Showing is definitly good but not everything has to be shown. Sometimes it's ok to simply tell. It all depends on context and execution. 

There are exceptions of course. Like in books, it's just text so you can't really show. But then you have to be really descriptive with your words.

Agreed.
As an aspiring writer myself, my kind of "show don't tell" is not spelling out what the character is currently feeling like "He felt anxious when he laid eyes on the dark figure before him and in fear, his hands were shaking", but instead showing it through his actions, like "hesitantly, he grabbed hold of his spear and levelled the tip against his would-be opponent. His arms were shaking, sweat was dripping from his forehead and chin. What would the person do?" Something like that.

15 minutes ago, Ingrid Brandl Galatea said:

I do not pay the GEZ. 

But psst, do not tell anyone about it, right!?

I don't pay it, either, so we're partners in crime now. XD

11 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

17.5€/Month for the 2 shows i watch semi-regularly and the football competition every 2 years :'D

Premium service right there.

Yup, so "premium" that every sports competition feels like the 1930s are back, and every news show is about the same quality as something you'd expect to see on RTL. Particularly on ARD.
*my dad watches TV fairly regularly, so he usually tells me about such stuff. We do watch sports events together, too, hence my knowledge of these things.

Just now, Shrimperor said:

I actually saw that game in a store the other day. I thought about picking it up, but I wasn't too sure about it. Maybe I'll get it when it goes on sale at some point.

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

Re: show, don't tell.

Here's something i consider to be a bad example: CS2. The  game keeps talking about War here, War there...

But there wasn't a War anywhere, and the game failed to make the player feel like a War is going on or showing it.

That's a case where the writer kept telling us about something, yet didn't show it, which made it utterly fail on itself,

Yup. That is one reason why CS2 fell kinda flat for me.

image0.png

Well, he was right about seeing Doom Eternal in 2020.

17 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Oh yeah, tha definitly was a problem. They tried to pass it off as "the war is happening in the west and you're in the east" but it didn't really work as well. At least CS4 handled the war plot better.

12 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Did you know that there was apparently a time when Atelier fans were accused of being pedophiles?

Wouldn't surprise me, given the stigma of "anime game bad". I actually have this good image showing the idiocity of that mindset

Image result for gaming journalism 101

After all, the West is the kind of place where people can say "anime is weird" but then watch Big Mouth unironically.

12 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

As an aspiring writer myself, my kind of "show don't tell" is not spelling out what the character is currently feeling like "He felt anxious when he laid eyes on the dark figure before him and in fear, his hands were shaking", but instead showing it through his actions, like "hesitantly, he grabbed hold of his spear and levelled the tip against his would-be opponent. His arms were shaking, sweat was dripping from his forehead and chin. What would the person do?" Something like that.

That's a good way to handle it. Since your story is exclusively being told through text, being more descriptive of something can replicate the feeling of showing.

Edited by Armagon

Just now, Armagon said:

Wouldn't surprise me, given the stigma of "anime game bad". I actually have this good image showing the idiocity of that mindset

Image result for gaming journalism 101

After all, the West is the kind of place where people can say "anime is weird" but then watch Big Mouth unironically.

Yup, it's a damn shame, really. But hey, you and I and many others don't fall into this idiocy, so let's just enjoy ourselves. I have chosen to ignore these things, honestly.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

That's a good way to handle it. Since your story is exclusively being told through text, being more descriptive of something can replicate the feeling of showing.

Yup.

Partners in Crime sounds like a great title for a movie or videogame xD

ARD became totally useless since DTM was sent to a (shitty) private station. And now even their sanctuary Die Lindenstraße will die next year. And who cares about (football) championships right now where the money and not the sports is in the preground.

You know what I miss on TV? 

A good weekend's child programm. 

Getting up early to watch old Disney or Tom and Jerry cartoons were the absolute TV highlight for me. Even today it would still apply. 

Edited by Ingrid Brandl Galatea

1 minute ago, Ingrid Brandl Galatea said:

ARD became totally useless since DTM was sent to a (shitty) private station. And now even their sanctuary Die Lindenstraße will die next year. And who cares about (football) championships right now where the money and not the sports is in the preground.

Getting up early with old Disney or Tom and Jerry cartoons were the absolute TV highlight for me. Even today it would still apply. 

7 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Regretera in a nutshell.

The ironic thing about Resetera is that it ends up getting people to buy the game they are complaining. As a wise-man once said, "if Resetera reeeeess, the product is good".

5 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

But hey, you and I and many others don't fall into this idiocy, so let's just enjoy ourselves. I have chosen to ignore these things, honestly.

Yep. 

4 minutes ago, Ingrid Brandl Galatea said:

Getting up early to watch old Disney or Tom and Jerry cartoons were the absolute TV highlight for me. Even today it would still apply. 

Same. As a kid, i remember my weekend's TV shows were essentially

• Friday nights: Ben 10 *insert subtitle here*, Star Wars: The Clone Wars and i think Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorperated. Idk if that one was Friday but i know Ben 10 and Star Wars were. I also watched Young Justice as well but i really don't remember if that was a Friday cartoon.
  • Saturday mornings: Pokemon
  • There was never anything on Sunday.

My kid's week (mid 90s): 

Each evening: The Snurfs, Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck, old Donald Duck cartoons

On saturday: Tom and Jerry, Looney Tunes cartoons

On sunday: Real Ghostbusters, Batman, Spiderman, MegaMan

Edited by Ingrid Brandl Galatea

1 hour ago, Ingrid Brandl Galatea said:

It does, doesn't it? XD

1 hour ago, Ingrid Brandl Galatea said:

Tell me about it. The new commentator for the DTM (Edgar Mielke) is even worse than the Formula One guys.

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

Dragon Ball Z every Saturday on 19:30!

Pokito/RTL2 is what got me into Anime xD

*Nostalgia intensifies*

Ah yes, good old Pokito... those were the days. Coming home from school and watching Digimon Frontier, Pokémon, whathaveyou...
And good old Tom and Jerry.
That reminds me that I watched stuff like Darkwing Duck, Ducktales, The Text Avery Show etc. on Super RTL when I was a kid. Darkwing Duck in particular will always be my favorite childhood cartoon.

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

>30% Launch discount on Dragon Star

I love you, Iffy. Now just gotta wait until deluxe bundle becomes available

If that is a thing on the PS Store, I might have another game I want.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

latest?cb=20160110084433latest?cb=20160110084437latest?cb=20160110084442latest?cb=20160110084451

Xenofashion Chronicles X.

2 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Unbenannt.PNG

Doggos OP
Pls nerf

That reminds me, i still haven't played Neptunia Shooter. I have it installed, i just haven't gotten around to it.

2 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

*checks PS store*
OOF.

The game is 60€ on PS Store
30€ on Steam

Steam always gets the good deals. 

Edited by Armagon

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Xenofashion Chronicles X.

I just find these to be a little nonsensical. They look like they're advertisements for NLA "Come to NLA and see all the hot and beautiful people!". 

The unserious absurdity of it lay in the "fact" that for all we know (although there is evidence otherwise), the rest of humanity is dead. "Come to NLA?" all humans alive literally are there already, there isn't anywhere else they could go or be at. Which makes these wall decals useless, unless the point is to show other intelligent lifeforms what humans commonly perceive as being "beautiful" or "sexy".

And even if there were other humans still alive out there, I don't think they'd need to see attractive people to want to come to NLA. I doubt they'd be like...

"Hey, our radar has discovered signs of human civilization on this one planet."

"Do we know what the people look like?"

"We can't at the moment. They're probably just fat old people, no bangin' chicks for you or drop-dead dudes for me."

"Alright, we'll be skipping it then. Set the warp drive for 150 thousand lightyears in the opposite direction."

Merely realizing there is another surviving group of human beings after the Earth went kaboom would be extremely exciting in itself.

But, it is worth remembering these only appear in the game as a tiny bit of decoration for your barracks if you want them.😆

Speaking of fashion, if you need a dress shirt, you can get a quality Pokemon-patterned one. Only fans of the first 151 need apply, yet if you can get past Gen 1 pandering, think on the bright side, it's more than Pikachu, Charizard, and Mewtwo. But be sure you have $100 USD on hand for whoever you choose! 

Maybe it's for when they expected to pull a Kirk or Riker if they ever encountered less hostile alien life.

---

Ah, got a new earworm.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

I find it curious that no one has commented on my project threads, just looking at them. If you have something to say about my projects, whether you like them or not, don't be afraid to! There may be someone who is anxious for updates and I don't even know.

On that note, I want to calculate a growth curve for my battlers, using a base stat (stat value at Lv. 1), a final stat (stat value at Lv. 99) and an acceleration value, like this:
unknown.png
But I have no idea how to do that...

21 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

It does, doesn't it? XD

Tell me about it. The new commentator for the DTM (Edgar Mielke) is even worse than the Formula One guys.

The RTL commentator is a nationalistic asshole who also focusses more on advertisement for the TV station he is working for than for the sports.

Ah yes, good old Pokito... those were the days. Coming home from school and watching Digimon Frontier, Pokémon, whathaveyou...
And good old Tom and Jerry.
That reminds me that I watched stuff like Darkwing Duck, Ducktales, The Text Avery Show etc. on Super RTL when I was a kid. Darkwing Duck in particular will always be my favorite childhood cartoon.

This was actually what I described. It was on Super RTL. Also I always want to participate in Super Toy Club. 

This is great commentary: 

21 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

*checks PS store*

OOF.

The game is 60€ on PS Store
30€ on Steam

OOF. Indeed.
Thanks for checking!

20 minutes ago, Ingrid Brandl Galatea said:

This is great commentary:

Indeed it is.

---

Everyone, want to play a game with me? How about The Anecdotes of Lunk?
g4lGn6w.jpg

Neptunia. Being topical on Pokémon Sword and Shield even three years ago.
ViA7ZPJ.jpg

The game called Cool of Beauty. Making fun of people's moms everywhere since ????
yOftL2r.jpg

And good old Outlier Roro. A fun game I played not too long ago. I prefer Outlier Lulu, though...
lj8SSST.jpg