The Last To Post Wins!

Darros

I am surprised how absurdly fast Ferdi is in my maddening run (almost tied Petra who is spreedscrewed though). I made him become a dodgetank by swordmaster => dancer.

I try to buff Bernadetta's strength by giving deathblow to her. Unfortunately she has a weakness in axes...

I benched Caspar and Dorothea of the BE, but I would not say they were terrible.

The only disappointing units are Bernadetta and Petra (slow).

I was very sad that I could not keep Ignatz alive in chapter 13 of my GD run because he had strength and speed far above average. 

Hopefully I will do better with him this time.

• Replies 179.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Breezy Kanzaki

• Ein

• Caster

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got a mail for my usual online place where I buy games that I get a €5 discount which is cool but it only lasts till 19th december and it has to be at least more than €50. Which means I'll take a good look at the switch games that are out there. Wish there wasn't a limit on it though, otherwise I would have waited for the release of XB1 or Trials of Mana.

2 hours ago, Lysithea said:

I am surprised how absurdly fast Ferdi is in my maddening run (almost tied Petra who is spreedscrewed though). I made him become a dodgetank by swordmaster => dancer.

I try to buff Bernadetta's strength by giving deathblow to her. Unfortunately she has a weakness in axes...

I benched Caspar and Dorothea of the BE, but I would not say they were terrible.

The only disappointing units are Bernadetta and Petra (slow).

I was very sad that I could not keep Ignatz alive in chapter 13 of my GD run because he had strength and speed far above average. 

Hopefully I will do better with him this time.

I still used Dorothea in my CF run because she gets physic and training her and Linhardt was super easy. Healers get a ton of exp in Maddening.

I did throw away Caspar. His damage output was very bad and he couldn't tank anything.

Edited by Strullemia

Tbh my problem with trubbish/garbodor and vaniluxe and the mid evolution (i like vanillite) is finding them ugly, while i think the apple thing is pretty cute, and i also think the fangs are a nice, albeit subtle, detail.

3 hours ago, FrostyFireMage said:

My Maddening mode Bernadetta has high skill/speed and bad everything else. But really the only “bad” BE unit I have is Ferdinand since he’s too damn slow (why do Cavaliers suck)

Ignatz is surprisingly awesome and fun to use as a support unit since he can get multiple rallies/Poison Strike/Seal Strength/Break Shot/Ward Arrow really easily

Why are you caring about ferdinand's speed, bro?

he has swift strikes, his speed could literally be zero and he would still double everything on player phase.

the only stats he cares about are str and move, just get his lance rank to A ASAP

Edited by Nobody

3 hours ago, Nobody said:

Tbh my problem with trubbish/garbodor and vaniluxe and the mid evolution (i like vanillite) is finding them ugly, while i think the apple thing is pretty cute, and i also think the fangs are a nice, albeit subtle, detail.

I'm more refering to the double standards at play. If Applin was a Gen 5 Pokemon, you can bet that people would be dumping it in with Trubbish, Vanillite and Klink.

What Pokemon Gen hasn't had at least one horribly "uncreative" design? Although I don't know Gen 6 or 7. And Gens 3 and 4, maybe they didn't? But this is much a matter of subjectivity barring Seel and Stanler

Just started up Persona 1, the thing that began it all b/c historical curiosity, and ooooooof the artwork is horrid. It has aged like a fungal infection. I'm not sure if I'll be able to put up with a game where these portraits are in my face all the time.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

So Atelier Ryza does this neat thing where after you find all the landmarks in an area, you can have a character write a journal entry about the area and what's written about the area depends on the character.

What i'm saying is that Xenoblade should start doing this.

10 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

What Pokemon Gen hasn't had at least one horribly "uncreative" design? Although I don't know Gen 6 or 7. And Gens 3 and 4, maybe they didn't? But this is much a matter of subjectivity barring Seel and Stanler

Off the top of my head for Gens 6 and 7, Klefki and Sandyghast are Pokemon that would fit the "uncreative" design. Though they do have a bit more to them than that.

The main issue I have with a lot of Pokemon in this game, are that they don't really like... look like Pokemon, to me.
Sure, I think Trubbish, and Vanillte, and their evolutions, are definitely silly, but they look like Pokemon. The Pokemon I have the most issue with are ones that just look like a collection of shapes, rather than a creature of any sort. I just don't like stuff like Dottler, or Duraldon, who just look like an arrangement of shapes and not just like, something. They don't have designs that feel weighty, or anything.  Of course there are Pokemon I don't like in other generations with this same issue, ( I don't like Pokemon designs like Necrozma or Avalugg either, but Gen 8 just has so many of these Pokemon that seem so... off, and just ugly to me.

This is a main reason I'm not getting the game, along with the fact how little care the game looks like it had  among an assortment of other issues, (lack of animation, barely any new ones, game looking very bad, no supplement to voice acting when it's really needed, even if it's small... etc .etc.)

People could probably compare it to Three Houses in some aspects, but even with Three House cutting corners for animations sometimes, and the game definitely looking ugly for the system, most of the times,  I feel like I'm getting my money with it. Three Houses has so many changes, and feels like it has so much care in the game, from most of the story, to the gameplay, to everything. As an FE fan I feel like I was listened to, and I really feel like there's something for everyone here, no matter what you like in Fire Emblem. And there's  so much replay-ability in Three Houses, I love it.
With Pokemon it just seems like I'm getting so much less than usual with the series, I know it basically has no postgame, and everything I've seen it just looks more watered down than usual. Just... bleh, at least to me.

There's my rant, if you're happy about the new games and how they turned out, that's fine, this is just how I feel. I'm not gonna attack anyone over the games just because I don't think they look good or worth my money.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

So Atelier Ryza does this neat thing where after you find all the landmarks in an area, you can have a character write a journal entry about the area and what's written about the area depends on the character.

This reminds me of Bravely Second's monster entries. Besides an objective description of the monster, the four playables would write a little conversation of like 5 lines between each other about each and every monster. Their text is color-coded, because each character called dibs on a different pen color for scribbling in Yew's journal. The only problem is you'd have to grind a whole bunch of any monster not a boss to unlock the full dialogue.

-

I do approve of the idea wholeheartedly though. Imbue the game with a little more of everyones' personalities and add an extra pinch of flavor the beautiful world at the same time.

But, you can only see one journal entry per region per playthrough? I'd be a little conflicted about whose to choose, even if Internet means I could look up the rest in three minutes.

In addition, this sounds like this could be a lot of writing (though given XC1 and X put up with hundreds of Collectopedia entries, I think they could do it). How many characters and areas does Ryza have, and how long are the entries?

Looking at XC1 (Numerical and Name SPOILERS):

Spoiler

It'd be 7 times...

1. Colony 9
  2. Tephra Cave
  3. Bionis's Leg
  4. Colony 6
  5. Ether Mines
  6. Satorl Marsh
  7. Makna Forest
  8. Frontier Village
  9. Eryth Sea
  10. Agniratha
  11. High Entia Tomb
    1. Prison Island 1?
  12. Valak Mountains
  13. Sword Valley
  14. Galahad Fortress
  15. The Fallen Arm
  16. Mechonis Field
  17. Central Factory
  18. Alcamoth
  19. Bionis's Interior
  20. Prison Island 2

so 7*20 = 140.

XC2 would be... (Numerical and Name SPOILERS):

Spoiler
  1. Argentum
  2. Gormott
  3. Uraya
  4. Mor Ardain
  5. Leftherian Archipelago
  6. Indol
  7. Temperantia
  8. Tantal
  9. Spirit Crucible Elpis
  10. Cliffs of Morytha
  11. Land of Morytha
  12. World Tree
  13. Orbital Ring

Not as many, that sounds nice. But then how many people to possibly write the entries? Only count the Drivers for writers? Yet Brighid keeps a journal, she should be able to write an entry, as should Pyra, Mythra, Dromarch, Pandoria, and Poppi. Should the entries be co-written by Driver and story Blade?

This doesn't address whether certain areas should have two entries. Like Gormott, should Torigoth get an entry separate from the wilderness around it?

For an XCX sequel, going off the basis of what XCX1 was like, there would be too many playable characters to have each of them write entries. Furthermore, there are only five regions in the first game, so using them as the object of the writing focus wouldn't give you very much.

Instead, being that XCX is distinct from XC, I'd propose a different focus for this kind of flavor writing. Assign the writing to either landmarks (Probe Sites especially) or plain old locations or base camps or scenic viewpoints/unexplored territories (so, anything but the region itself). And make the writing read more commonly like impersonal and objective research data, but it doesn't always need a cold, humorless tone.

7 hours ago, Strullemia said:

I still used Dorothea in my CF run because she gets physic and training her and Linhardt was super easy. Healers get a ton of exp in Maddening.

I did throw away Caspar. His damage output was very bad and he couldn't tank anything.

Dorothea gets experience as support unit, but I have other and better healers like Mercedes. In maddening I usually recruit all magic using units. 

I just noticed that I have no mounted unit for chapter 11, which means I will have trouble to get all the rewards... 

31 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

This reminds me of Bravely Second's monster entries. Besides an objective description of the monster, the four playables would write a little conversation of like 5 lines between each other about each and every monster. Their text is color-coded, because each character called dibs on a different pen color for scribbling in Yew's journal. The only problem is you'd have to grind a whole bunch of any monster not a boss to unlock the full dialogue.

Atelier Lulua does this as well, only the little conversations would be between two characters instead of all eight, which is understandable. On the flip side, there are also conversations for pretty much every item, whether it be a material or a synthesized item. There's a lot of them and i haven't read them all myself.

But, you can only see one journal entry per region per playthrough? I'd be a little conflicted about whose to choose, even if Internet means I could look up the rest in three minutes.

In the case of Atelier Ryza, yes. It does take in-game time for a journal entry about an area to be written (idk how much, maybe it's a day) and you can change who's writing the entry midway but once it's written, it's written and there's no way to change the entry.

In addition, this sounds like this could be a lot of writing (though given XC1 and X put up with hundreds of Collectopedia entries, I think they could do it). How many characters and areas does Ryza have, and how long are the entries?

Ryza has 14 areas (technically 15 but you can't skip travel to one, even though it's fully explorable). There six characters, so 14x6=84 journal entries total. 14 divided by 6 is not a whole number which means it's impossible for the journal entries to be evenly distributed, unfortunately. The same applies to both Xenoblade 1 and 2 though that issue could be negated if an area can have multiple entries.

This doesn't address whether certain areas should have two entries. Like Gormott, should Torigoth get an entry separate from the wilderness around it?

I don't see why it can't be combined. Though it does depend on how long the entries would be. Ryza's journal entries are only a page and up to three, maybe four short sections to each entry. How long the entry is depends on the character; you either get detailed writing or it's Lila, who never made it past third grade writing.

If Xenoblade will have journal entries limited to a page, then the settlements should have their own entry. If the entries can have multiple pages and/or be scrolled, put the settlements and areas together.

Edited by Armagon

Actually the Blue Lions units got the best levels. Annette and Ingrid are far above their average. Annette is faster than Lys with good magic and can double more than knights. Ingrid outclasses Petra is every stat now, including speed. Reminds me on my first BE run in normal when it turned more or less into an Ingrid solo. But enemies had no breaker skills there, so impossible to do it in maddening. (actually not since I have seen some crazy Ingrid dodgetank builds)

Edited by Lysithea

5 hours ago, Armagon said:

Have you had Lila write one for any area? If not, here's the gist of what she does:

Everyone else: Super detailed report about everything to do with the area.
Lila: Baths. I like baths. (direct quote from what she wrote for the Volcano area)

It's hilarious.
1 hour ago, Lysithea said:

Annette was MVP btw. 

Nice!

My current BL playthrough goes in a similar direction. Annette is faster than Byleth and Dimitri (11 Speed to their 8 and 10, respectively), while Byleth hasn't gained a single point of Speed in all 6 levels she got... I think I'll just start over at this point, honestly.

On 11/20/2019 at 7:27 PM, Armagon said:

Kalos was way more interesting in the anime than the games. The difference is night and day. Besides, i tend to judge the Pokemon anime on it's own terms because like i said before, Gen 5 is the best Gen but it's anime is super dull (and it didn't help that it came right after the Gen 4 anime which was pretty good).

But in terms of movies, the best Pokemon movie is the Darkari one. 

I've heard this too but when I heard what happened in the finale I didn't want to continue watching that season.

17 hours ago, Armagon said:

True Fact.

Personally I didn't even mind the Gen 5 pokemons like Trubbish, Vanillite etc. but Applin looks like it doesn't even have the expressions those pokemons had.

11 hours ago, Lysithea said:

Dorothea gets experience as support unit, but I have other and better healers like Mercedes. In maddening I usually recruit all magic using units. 

I just noticed that I have no mounted unit for chapter 11, which means I will have trouble to get all the rewards... 

Ah, makes sense. I also got Mercedes and she's a better healer that's for sure.

Flying units are better than mounted units anyway.

Huh, I consider fliers as mounted units too. But yeah, fliers are way better than cavaliers. I rarely have promoted someone into a cavalier yet, and in my BE run I do not think anyone to make become one.

Finally I could play a bit more Trails of Cold Steel III. Have done the prologue, but after two hours playtime I felt so dizzy that I had to stop and take medicine. I am not used to play on a big TV screen. The last time I played was FE10 more than a half year ago. In general I prefer playing on my Switch for being handheld anyways. 

Also I canceled my Star Wars order and bought NiNoKuni 2 (PS4) and God Eater 3 (Switch) instead. I have not played the prequels, but I know a little about the God Eater series. 

Edited by Lysithea

The Mandalorian is such a good show. Keeps getting better with each episode.

13 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Have you had Lila write one for any area?

Yes i have. "It's a wide, open area" - Lila in her journal entry about the Hidden Cove.

5 hours ago, Strullemia said:

I've heard this too but when I heard what happened in the finale I didn't want to continue watching that season.

Oh yeah, the finale was total bullshit. Everything was being set up for Ash to win but then TPC wanted Charizard dick-sucking.

Of course, Ash won the Alola leauge, which is historic but i haven't seen the buildup to that so i'll refrain from commenting on it.