The Last To Post Wins!

Darros

Oh, seeing people playing FE5 fulfills my heart with pleasure. 

It is a masterpiece for its time, but some mechanics really have no place in this series like missing staves or no guaranteed hit and miss. 

I still have to play the good translation patch. 

Also capturing is the best thing in FE and one of the reasons why I enjoy this game so much. I recommend to capture as many staves and siege tomes as possible. 

• Replies 180k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Breezy Kanzaki

• Ein

• Caster

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Zemuria said:

Seriously the PS4 has been the most pointless console I have bought yet since all interesting games also have a port for Switch. The only game I have which is not available for Switch (yet) is Devil May Cry 5. I have burnt about 350 € for nothing. 

If you don't mind an action RPG/beat 'em up, try Odin Sphere. You can change the difficulty at any time if you need to.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

I wish you the best of luck, my friend. You already know my opinions on Thracia but hopefully you can enjoy it more than i did.

Thank you! I already reached a point where I'm like "a'ight, this is just a tiny bit BS".
That Meteor Mage in Chapter 3. Luckily, he didn't do too much before I went Dagdar on him (now I have the Meteor tome. Or not, because then Raydrik happened).

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

You're never ever going to get any items that exist solely to be sold for money, or actual funds. You must Capture to obtain all the weapons you will need barring chests and villages. Not saying you must capture everyone, but if it isn't a hassle that interferes too much with your overall plan, you should try to take whatever enemies you can. Stuff you don't need you can sell for a handful of funds. 

Yikes. It's a good thing I got a few additional Bows and Axes, then. Thanks for the info!
This is all the more reason to keep Dagdar and Finn around.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

They usually carry a few Gravity attacks. Which until the postgame, is really bad for your Skells (mecha), since prior to the postgame ones, they all have negative Gravity resistance by default. Fortunately, except for the sleeping ones (which after the first you won't find yourself falling for), the Xe-doms that do exist leave you alone like the tiny ants your are on foot, they'll only attempt to squash you in a Skell.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

To add what Interdimensional Observer said, the particular one in the video is a Tyrant, which is basically an optional boss. Because of that distinction, it'll attack regardless whereas normal Xe-doms only attack Skells (and if you're a certain number of levels stronger than it, they'll leave you alone regardless).

Ouch. Running into one of those things underlevelled or unprepared sounds quite nightmarish.

1 hour ago, Caster said:

My general rule is capture what you want. And if it's too risky, then don't bother. It's up to you on how much you want to abuse it.
The only thing I would really go out of my way to capture are staves (Physic, warp, some rewarp, status staves, etc.) because staves are amazing and make your life so much easier in this game.
Other than that just mainly capture what you want.

I see, thanks!
I love how you can just steal tomes from Mages, even if they have them equipped.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

@DragonFlames If Thracia doesn't work out for you (understandable), may I suggest giving TearRing Saga a try? Not calling it the best game ever, but it's a solid FE. It's easy to discount it as not being one if you haven't played it, but..

Tear-Ring-Saga-English-patched-v1-04-201

does this look at all pleasing to you? Or familiar? Her Str & Spd are capped by the way. Never mind her AS, the Chu-no-ku/Gatling Bow is extraordinarily heavy, the price that comes for being a bow that naturally quadruples. She started at level 3.

Not too hard (if anything it's on the easy side), no status staffs belonging to the enemy, some access to grinding if you want to train up people. Still dated in ways, support conversations weren't invented yet, but I found it enjoyable.

My one reason for hesitating it as a total recommendation for you is that the co-lord Holmes, well the positive way to spin it is he is refreshingly different from all the goodie-two-shoes lords had been up to this point (pre-FE6). The critical way is to call him a bow-toting jerk. He's no pervert at all though he showed more interest in Shigen than Katri if you ask me.

That certainly does look very familiar. I do know Kaga made this, too.
Jerk protagonists are a bit on the dealbreaker side for me, if I'm being completely honest, but it's not like there aren't games that have done them well. Tales of the Abyss for instance hits the protagonist hard with karma by the end of the first third or so. 

1 minute ago, Zemuria said:

Seriously the PS4 has been the most pointless console I have bought yet since all interesting games also have a port for Switch. The only game I have which is not available for Switch (yet) is Devil May Cry 5. I have burnt about 350 € for nothing. 

Well, there's still the Tales games that aren't on Switch (Berseria, Zestiria), as well as some Atelier titles (Sophie and Firis). But otherwise, as a fan of JRPGs, you can practically pick and choose which game you want on which console. It's kind of fun, honestly. One advantage is if you run out of space on your Switch, you can get a game you wanted on the PS4 and vice versa.
This happened to me: the main reason I got the Atelier Arland trilogy on Switch was because I don't have that much space left on my PS4's hard drive.

---

While we are on topic of Thracia... Chapter 4 is a doozy and half, holy hell. I have had three attempts at the thing so far and they all ended in failure one way or another. The first ended with a civilian captured and carried off by a soldier because Brighton can't hit the broad side of a barn. Also, one of the Brigands got killed by one of the two Armor Knights at the top of the map. The second attempt ended in Lara dying to a Javelin, because Brighton is a f***ing failure at hitting things and I didn't keep the guy's range in mind when moving Lara to open the door to Leif and friends. The third attempt ended with Macha dying, because I didn't predict the ambush spawns right. Also, Brighton can't hit things.
I can assume you see a pattern emerging, don't you?
In any case, I can't rescue the trapped allies fast enough and give the playable units their gear back fast enough before I get overwhelmed by the Soldier reinforcements.
Also, Brighton is bench fodder.

3 minutes ago, Zemuria said:

Oh, seeing people playing FE5 fulfills my heart with pleasure. 

It is a masterpiece for its time, but some mechanics really have no place in this series like missing staves or no guaranteed hit and miss. 

I still have to play the good translation patch. 

Also capturing is the best thing in FE and one of the reasons why I enjoy this game so much. I recommend to capture as many staves and siege tomes as possible. 

Yeah, the missing staves thing along with the ambush spawns definitely docks a few points off for the overall impression.

2 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

That Meteor Mage in Chapter 3. Luckily, he didn't do too much before I went Dagdar on him (now I have the Meteor tome. Or not, because then Raydrik happened).

So ein mist!

Edited by Shadow Mir

1 minute ago, Shadow Mir said:

So ein mist!

In der Tat.

I hope I get it back once Safiya rejoins (I dumped the thing on her after nicking it from the dude). Then again, it's not like I have anyone who could make use of it right now. It would be nice to have once the first Mage joins, I guess.

5 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Jerk protagonists are a bit on the dealbreaker side for me, if I'm being completely honest, but it's not like there aren't games that have done them well. Tales of the Abyss for instance hits the protagonist hard with karma by the end of the first third or so. 

Holmes is around for a little less than half the game, since it's a SoV approach with the player alternating between him and the typical FE lord Runan. Holmes when drunk does get punched by Runan's also drunk old man advisor too at one point, so his jock-jerkiness doesn't go entirely uncriticized.

5 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

While we are on topic of Thracia... Chapter 4 is a doozy and half, holy hell. I have had three attempts at the thing so far and they all ended in failure one way or another. The first ended with a civilian captured and carried off by a soldier because Brighton can't hit the broad side of a barn. Also, one of the Brigands got killed by one of the two Armor Knights at the top of the map. The second attempt ended in Lara dying to a Javelin, because Brighton is a f***ing failure at hitting things and I didn't keep the guy's range in mind when moving Lara to open the door to Leif and friends. The third attempt ended with Macha dying, because I didn't predict the ambush spawns right. Also, Brighton can't hit things.

The "Manster Escape", particularly Chapter 4, is very infamous. It does feel like a real flight for your life, no punches spared, but its challenge is sudden and unexpected so early in the game. Once one reaches Chapter 8, things mellow down though.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

Holmes is around for a little less than half the game, since it's a SoV approach with the player alternating between him and the typical FE lord Runan. Holmes when drunk does get punched by Runan's also drunk old man advisor too at one point, so his jock-jerkiness doesn't go entirely uncriticized.

That's good, then.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The Manster escape, particularly Chapter 4, is very infamous. It does feel like a real flight for your life, no punches spared, but its challenge is sudden and unexpected so early in the game. Once one reaches Chapter 8, things mellow down though.

I mean, I like the idea of the chapter as a whole. And you're right, the whole thing wouldn't feel as important, so to speak, if it wasn't at least somewhat hard. That's why I can sort of forgive it.
Any tips on what to do?

18 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Yeah, the missing staves thing along with the ambush spawns definitely docks a few points off for the overall impression.

Not to mention the lack of magic - it bothers me that there are only a few spells for each type. Well, that, and the fact that only one spell in each school of magic is low rank, with everything else being high rank (Fire being the exception, as it has a C rank spell).

20191203_114902.jpg

Yeah Atlus definitly should've held off on that.

6 minutes ago, Zemuria said:

PC

Yeah, that's how i feel too. A lot of PS4 JRPGs tend to end up on PC as well (unless it's Persona) so my JRPG machine usually tends to be PC and Switch, especially since the former can emulate.

.......huh. It just hit me that Cold Steel 3 is getting a Switch port before a PC port.

4 minutes ago, Zemuria said:

However it also gives the opportunity to see the first two parts released for Switch too, maybe even more, although I know NiSA does not own the localisation. 

Cold Steel 1 and 2 ports are up to Xseed. However, NISA's likely localizing Cold Steel 4 so there's also the possibility of Cold Steel 4 coming to Switch. Especially since NISA themselves is doing the porting (pretty sure) as opposed to Ys 8 where they localized it but the porting was done elsewhere.

20 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I mean, I like the idea of the chapter as a whole. And you're right, the whole thing wouldn't feel as important, so to speak, if it wasn't at least somewhat hard. That's why I can sort of forgive it.
Any tips on what to do?

The reinforcements don't start showing up until turn 7 through 10, and you can block the spaces they occupy if you have to. Though those same spaces are used by the civilians to flee. If you don't care about turncounts and wait until the start of turn 25, you can block out all reinforcements except the ones from the lower left staircase.

That'd hopefully alleviate some pressure, making it easier to draw out the northern room. Vulneraries + 2 units able to survive 3 attacks a turn should make that more bearable. And, you could disarm Lithis or Lara and have them intentionally be captured to save someone from dying for a turn.

15 minutes ago, Armagon said:

.......huh. It just hit me that Cold Steel 3 is getting a Switch port before a PC port.

I'm thinking it says something about how dead the Japanese PC gaming scene must be. Though it could be the portability of the Switch too.

If the port is b/c NISA likes money, well, is it okay to ever show thanks to them?

FE5 is a mixed bag for me.
I very much like parts of it a lot, but other parts are more obnoxious than difficult, and I don't like dealing with obnoxious maps. 
So it sits proudly at my 3rd least favorite game in the series.
The highs for me are very high but the lows are abysmal and irritating to play through.

If CSIV should not make it for Switch, then the release of III would be utterly pointless. 

But yeah, I do not see much room and hope to see any other already released LoH game for Switch although I am dreaming of Crossbell games for Switch because I want to play them without a guide a / o translation

Edited by Zemuria

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'm thinking it says something about how dead the Japanese PC gaming scene must be. Though it could be the portability of the Switch too.

The PC ports are for the West. Japan doesn't really get them.

CS3 being on the Switch has an issue though because it is not a good starting point at all because it assumes you've played every game before it I hope people who are planning on getting the Switch port realize that.

5 minutes ago, Zemuria said:

If CSIV should not make it for Switch, then the release of III would be utterly pointless. 

Oh yeah, they pretty much have to since CS3 ends on the biggest cliffhanger of the series.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Same time as TMS#FE, too, it seems. Yes, I'll really be amassing an RPG backlog with the Switch. XD

IMG_20191203_134659.jpg

Ho ho what the fuck.

34 minutes ago, Karimlan said:

Same time as TMS#FE, too, it seems. Yes, I'll really be amassing an RPG backlog with the Switch. XD

Nah, TMS Encore has a confirmed release date of January 11th. Cold Steel 3 just has Spring 2020 at the moment.

Please don't release it in March. As my good friend Manta pointed out with P5R, March is really stacked. FF7R, Animal Crossing, DOOM.

But yeah, Switch is becoming really good with RPGs more and more. Next year, i've got

• Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive
  • Atelier Dusk trilogy DX
  • TMS Encore
  • Rune Factory 4 S (it counts)
  • Trails of Cold Steel 3

That's seven games. And we're probably getting another Atelier game as well since the series is yearly so make that a potential 8.

Try number six... still no luck.
I f***ing suck. Hey, that rhymed!

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The reinforcements don't start showing up until turn 7 through 10, and you can block the spaces they occupy if you have to. Though those same spaces are used by the civilians to flee. If you don't care about turncounts and wait until the start of turn 25, you can block out all reinforcements except the ones from the lower left staircase.

That'd hopefully alleviate some pressure, making it easier to draw out the northern room. Vulneraries + 2 units able to survive 3 attacks a turn should make that more bearable. And, you could disarm Lithis or Lara and have them intentionally be captured to save someone from dying for a turn.

Thanks for the tips. Blocking them off until they stop showing up feels like the only thing I have left that I even can do. I tried rushing to the cells a bit, ended with nearly everyone without a weapon to use. Hooray.
The issue I have with letting Lithis or Lara get captured is that I need them to open the doors and chests, as well as nick some healing from the reinforcements. Additionally, I can't trust the other units to be able to free them. My first attempt got ruined by Brighton missing crucial attacks on a Soldier that had captured a civilian (and I would like to save all of them. My gamer heart won't let me say "f*** it, let them die").
Also, I found out that if Leif and Lithis have more than 13 items in their inventory at the end of Chapter 3, you randomly lose two of those, which explains why the Light Brand or Lithis' Lockpick weren't in any of the chests, while the almost broken Iron Sword and the Fire tome I stole were.
That's some amazing game design right there. /s

3 hours ago, Caster said:

FE5 is a mixed bag for me.
I very much like parts of it a lot, but other parts are more obnoxious than difficult, and I don't like dealing with obnoxious maps. 
So it sits proudly at my 3rd least favorite game in the series.
The highs for me are very high but the lows are abysmal and irritating to play through.

Chapter 4 certainly is one of those lows for me. I could excuse the difficulty by Interdimensional Observer's justification the first three tries, but now after the sixth, my patience has worn very, very thin.