The Last To Post Wins!

Darros

19 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

bf2590691783c5ec1c506e512db78cc3.png

he didnt know how to switch accounts...

Magnificent. Just magnificent.

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

Please don't release it in March. As my good friend Manta pointed out with P5R, March is really stacked. FF7R, Animal Crossing, DOOM.

Fortunately, most of these don't seem to share an audience, other than P5 and FF7. Animal Crossing shares how many players with DOOM? Cue the PC mod that adds anime girls to DOOM like the Fallout mod and the Thomas the Train in Alone in the Dark mod.

The Langrisser I & II HD remake is coming the West in March. A smaller title in many regards, but certainly worth consideration amongst SRPG fans, not that I've every played a Langrisser, so how good they actually are I do not know.

5 hours ago, Armagon said:

IMG_20191203_093212.jpg

*Sees that 6000 jumps thing and is suddenly reminded of Fiora's jumping grunt*

As for the UM killings, Torna's addition of the gravestones to the map information was a pleasant touch. I'm gonna have to use the wiki to figure out where the remaining hit jobs must be done.

By the way Armagon, I just finished hunting dinosaurs to get to level 99, and now I need to farm Legendary Core Crystals to finish out the four non-NG+ Rare Blades I'm missing. I recall using the Uraya UM in the parasite area, and also using the Guido UM who I had Tora solo-Driver Combo, and now I could try the giant Armu because I surprisingly had enough stuff to feed it to maximum size. Which of these, or another, is the best source for quick and consistent LCCs?

And one of those Rares being T-elos obviously, why is her name not all caps like KOS-MOS?

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

• Replies 180k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Breezy Kanzaki

• Ein

• Caster

Top Posters In This Topic

So with Dragon: Marked for Death being on sale for $10, me and my friend each got a version. I got Frontline Fighters while my friend got Advanced Attackers. We're planning on playing online co-op.

55 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

By the way Armagon, I just finished hunting dinosaurs to get to level 99, and now I need to farm Legendary Core Crystals to finish out the four non-NG+ Rare Blades I'm missing. I recall using the Uraya UM in the parasite area, and also using the Guido UM who I had Tora solo-Driver Combo, and now I could try the giant Armu because I surprisingly had enough stuff to feed it to maximum size. Which of these, or another, is the best source for quick and consistent LCCs?

The giant Armu is by far your best bet. He's very tanky but he isn't as powerful as his level would suggest. Full Driver Combos on him will drop a lot of Core Crystals. 

Might try something SMT related to try to expand into the series more, again.
I wouldn't know what to try though, since I expressed my issues with it before, so...

6 minutes ago, Caster said:

Might try something SMT related to try to expand into the series more, again.
I wouldn't know what to try though, since I expressed my issues with it before, so...

I'm not sure what really is there that is more character-driven, other than Persona. Of which I've only played P2 Innocent Sin, which is so dated in gameplay it'd be rather burdensome for most.

I mean I could suggest Digital Devil Saga, which has a fixed cast instead of demons, but I wouldn't quite call that game as having characters bursting with personality. So I'm not sure that'd be a surefire bet.

Or, you could try SMTIV: Apocalypse, they tried to add a vibrant supporting cast there, but I felt it backfired and they ended up being insufferable and disparate from the usual direction of SMT.

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'm not sure what really is there that is more character-driven, other than Persona. Of which I've only played P2 Innocent Sin, which is so dated in gameplay it'd be rather burdensome for most.

I mean I could suggest Digital Devil Saga, which has a fixed cast instead of demons, but I wouldn't quite call that game as having characters bursting with personality. So I'm not sure that'd be a surefire bet.

Or, you could try SMTIV: Apocalypse, they tried to add a vibrant supporting cast there, but I felt it backfired and they ended up being insufferable and disparate from the usual direction of SMT.

Well, I guess to say completely character driven isn't exactly fair, I do prefer character driven games. Even if it's not completely focused on characters, I'm still fine with games like those, as long as there are characters that are well written enough and constant throughout the story and appear at least often enough to have them be at least somewhat central to it. I just don't like playing games with minimalist story and very little interaction with characters, which is why even if I think I'd like the gameplay of Nocturne the story would probably push me away, because I know it is like that.

I mean, I do love both of the Devil Survivors a ton, so I don't know if there's anything that could compare remotely to that type of atmosphere, I'm not really super well read on the series.

13 minutes ago, Caster said:

Well, I guess to say completely character driven isn't exactly fair, I do prefer character driven games. Even if it's not completely focused on characters, I'm still fine with games like those, as long as there are characters that are well written enough and constant throughout the story and appear at least often enough to have them be at least somewhat central to it. I just don't like playing games with minimalist story and very little interaction with characters, which is why even if I think I'd like the gameplay of Nocturne the story would probably push me away, because I know it is like that.

I mean, I do love both of the Devil Survivors a ton, so I don't know if there's anything that could compare remotely to that type of atmosphere, I'm not really super well read on the series.

Digital Devil Saga, if you're interested in trying something new in SMT, is a duology released after Nocturne on the PS2.

It features Serph, a classic SMT silent protag, but also his talking comrades Heat, Argilla, Gale, and Cielo. They gain the power to turn into demons- their Avatars- made visible by the symbols on their bodies called Atma. Together with the mysterious girl Sera, they venture through a land known as the Junkyard in order to reach Nirvana.

DDS has some vibes of young adult dystopia, that kinda popular youth literary genre. So it's more alive than Nocturne for sure. No alignment choices for affecting the ending, just one fixed narrative.

Not trying to force it on you, just explaining it to provide you with a possible way to try SMT more. I'll admit the games aren't flawless for various reasons, but I liked them.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Digital Devil Saga, if you're interested in trying something new in SMT, is a duology released after Nocturne on the PS2.

It features Serph, a classic SMT silent protag, but also his talking comrades Heat, Argilla, Gale, and Cielo. They gain the power to turn into demons- their Avatars- made visible by the symbols on their bodies called Atma. Together with the mysterious girl Sera, they venture through a land known as the Junkyard in order to reach Nirvana.

DDS has some vibes of young adult dystopia, that kinda popular youth literary genre. So it's more alive than Nocturne for sure. No alignment choices for affecting the ending, just one fixed narrative.

Not trying to force it on you, just explaining it to provide you with a possible way to try SMT more. I'll admit the games aren't flawless for various reasons, but I liked them.

No problem, don't worry. I was the one who asked.
Just trying to see if there's another game in this series I might end up loving a lot.
Might try it out after this semester is over.

Wow, I did not know the PSP could be connected to the TV screen. Normally I prefer handheld, but the screen of the PSP is a bit too small for me for playing Trails of Zero. Anyways restarting it all over again. Have not played much yet after doing tutorial dungeon and exploring Crossbell City. The dialogue script is pretty helpful. Kinda unfortunate gaming time is over already before really starting because work. Though I will use the weekend to start and finish it sometime. 

Edited by Zemuria

3 hours ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Digital Devil Saga is Devilman meets The Hunger Games

It's always gonna be a fun new experience when a comparison is two things I know next to nothin' about!

Coming by to sweep up a win.
And to inform you that Thracia 776 is not my cup of tea after all. Not to say it's a bad game, but... it does have some very, VERY questionable design choices that I am really not a fan of and I am glad I don't have to deal with them in newer Fire Emblem games. And if they already rear their ugly heads this early on, I really don't want to imagine how bad it gets later on. So... yeah, before I smash my laptop screen in rage, I'll concede defeat.

Luckily, I didn't need to fork over money for this game. If I had, good lord would I be mad right now.

Understandable, I was expecting this. The rough edges around the interesting ideas are rough, even if a certain optimism in me thinks they could be smoothed out in a remake I set myself up for disappointment saying that.

And yeah, emulation makes things always a bit less regretful than buying it. Thats a silver lining.

The Manster Escape I think inspired Path of Radiance Chapters 5-7 (which I do think aren't quite as thrilling, if infinitely more accessible to compensate). This is just my interpretation, but Tellius is inspired by Jugdral in some ways, and both Thracia 4-7 and PoR 5-7 involve fleeing from the enemy to safety. The difference is that Tellius stayed away from Jugdral's sharp faults and benefitted from some much appreciated modern updates. 

--

Can't believe it took me this long to realize how to screenshot on my Mac, even though it was only one web search away. I finally have access to these images I was surprised to not see available in better quality on Bulbapedia:

Screen-Shot-2019-12-03-at-10-24-33-PM.pnScreen-Shot-2019-12-04-at-8-43-03-AM.png

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The Manster Escape I think inspired Path of Radiance Chapters 5-7 (which I do think aren't quite as thrilling, if infinitely more accessible to compensate). This is just my interpretation, but Tellius is inspired by Jugdral in some ways, and both Thracia 4-7 and PoR 5-7 involve fleeing from the enemy to safety. The difference is that Tellius stayed away from Jugdral's sharp faults and benefitted from some much appreciated modern updates.

Path of Radiance Chapters 5-7 are among my favorite chapters in that game. I always had a fondness for "protagonists escape from a much more powerful enemy" situations in stories. And if I get to play these myself, I usually have a lot of fun.
That fun stops when the three characters you have for that chapter aren't up to the task of actually freeing everybody and holding out long enough until the others are geared up and ready to go.

Understandable, I was expecting this. The rough edges around the interesting ideas are rough, even if a certain optimism in me thinks they could be smoothed out in a remake I set myself up for disappointment saying that.

So, me being terrible at Fire Emblem is already this well known that people expect failure? I'm honored. XD
Joking, of course.

Can't believe it took me this long to realize how to screenshot on my Mac, even though it was only one web search away. I finally have access to these images I was surprised to not see available in better quality on Bulbapedia:

Screen-Shot-2019-12-03-at-10-24-33-PM.pnScreen-Shot-2019-12-04-at-8-43-03-AM.png

I find it hilarious how some characters in Pokémon Conquest look almost exactly like they did in Samurai Warriors 3.

That top games of the decade thread has me thinking about how Super Mario Galaxy 2, Kid Icarus: Uprising and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 are the only games i've ever given a 10/10 to.

9 hours ago, Zemuria said:

Wow, I did not know the PSP could be connected to the TV screen. Normally I prefer handheld, but the screen of the PSP is a bit too small for me for playing Trails of Zero. Anyways restarting it all over again. Have not played much yet after doing tutorial dungeon and exploring Crossbell City. The dialogue script is pretty helpful. Kinda unfortunate gaming time is over already before really starting because work. Though I will use the weekend to start and finish it sometime. 

Oh that's right, the PSP could do that. I did it once but i didn't do it for long. Speaking of connected to TV, sometimes i connect my PC with my TV via HDMI and play games on PC.

5 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

And to inform you that Thracia 776 is not my cup of tea after all. Not to say it's a bad game, but... it does have some very, VERY questionable design choices that I am really not a fan of and I am glad I don't have to deal with them in newer Fire Emblem games. And if they already rear their ugly heads this early on, I really don't want to imagine how bad it gets later on. So... yeah, before I smash my laptop screen in rage, I'll concede defeat.

Luckily, I didn't need to fork over money for this game. If I had, good lord would I be mad right now.

Well look at it this way: you got farther than i did. Cause i got to Ch.3 and i just gave up.

How is Pokemon Conquest anyway? I remember wanting to get it when i was younger but i never could.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Well look at it this way: you got farther than i did. Cause i got to Ch.3 and i just gave up.

The tricky part about Chapter 3 was that Mage that starts going for the treasure chests after a certain point, grabbing a Meteor tome to eff you over and remembering which child to bring to which house. Nothing too crazy, I found. The Bandit reinforcements, on the other hand... they nearly killed Eyvel. EYVEL.

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

How is Pokemon Conquest anyway? I remember wanting to get it when i was younger but i never could.

The premise is honestly the only really good part about it: Pokémon meets the Warring States (or Sengoku) period of Japan (i.e. the time of Nobunaga Oda, Tokugawa Ieyasu, and Hideyoshi Toyotomi).
The gameplay itself, while fun in concept, is excruciatingly slow like the Gen IV mainline games. I didn't get very far before I got bored and stopped playing.

5 minutes ago, Zemuria said:

Honestly I cannot give any game a 10 / 10. No game is perfect. FE10 and Brawl would geht a 9.3 from me each, Xenoblade 2 a 9.0.

Agreed.
One thing I always do when I "rate" games is ask myself the following questions: "does the good outweigh the bad?" and "did I enjoy this game despite the flaws?". If I can answer these with a "yes", then the game is a good game for me. If not, it probably wasn't for me in the first place.

Also, yay, another Brawl lover! It's my personal favorite Smash Bros. game. *runs and hides from the Smash fanbase*

Edited by DragonFlames

17 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

The tricky part about Chapter 3 was that Mage that starts going for the treasure chests after a certain point, grabbing a Meteor tome to eff you over and remembering which child to bring to which house. Nothing too crazy, I found. The Bandit reinforcements, on the other hand... they nearly killed Eyvel. EYVEL.

Well, since you won't be going back to it anyways, Eyvel can't die until really late in the game for plot reasons, so no she didn't. The RNG will manipulate itself so she doesn't get hit, so she's a very useful character early on. 

It's okay if you stopped, it's not for everyone, hell, I don't even think it's for me, but I still appreciate large parts of the game.
Personally I don't find Manster that hard, but it's probably because I've played FE5 enough that I know how to deal with it's shit.

If you didn't enjoy Manster, then you probably wouldn't enjoy the end chapters of the game, which is status stave city, and even though you can easily counter them with your own staves, I just personally find it annoying to have a laundry list of items to get so I don't have to deal with them, but that's just personally why the later parts of the game irk me so much.

More power to you if you don't like it, no need to force yourself something you aren't enjoying.

41 minutes ago, Zemuria said:

Honestly I cannot give any game a 10 / 10. No game is perfect. FE10 and Brawl would geht a 9.3 from me each, Xenoblade 2 a 9.0.

10/10 doesn't mean flawless. It just means that it's above the best of the best. I've played so many games but only three have recieved 10/10s from me.

6 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Coming by to sweep up a win.

Aw, sorry to hear that.

Some mechanics are not cool to casual players.

The gameplay is as brutal as the story.

Still the complexity of its mechanics is what this game makes it so interesting for me.

More reason for me to do a LP of the good translation patch to show the good things of this game.

1 hour ago, DragonFlames said:

Agreed.
One thing I always do when I "rate" games is ask myself the following questions: "does the good outweigh the bad?" and "did I enjoy this game despite the flaws?". If I can answer these with a "yes", then the game is a good game for me. If not, it probably wasn't for me in the first place.

Also, yay, another Brawl lover! It's my personal favorite Smash Bros. game. *runs and hides from the Smash fanbase*

Subspace Emissary is the reason why I love Brawl because it is the only part of the series which makes fun as single player.

Melee has some good single player modes too, but I had my issues to get used to the game speed.

That said I have not played the story mode of Ultimate yet, but honestly I am not really excited to do it.

47 minutes ago, Armagon said:

10/10 doesn't mean flawless. It just means that it's above the best of the best. I've played so many games but only three have recieved 10/10s from me.

My personal definition of a perfect rating is being flawless.

Finally at home.

A twelve hours day is so tiring

7 minutes ago, Zemuria said:

Subspace Emissary is the reason why I love Brawl because it is the only part of the series which makes fun as single player.

A hundred times yes!

7 minutes ago, Zemuria said:

Aw, sorry to hear that.

Some mechanics are not cool to casual players.

The gameplay is as brutal as the story.

Still the complexity of its mechanics is what this game makes it so interesting for me.

More reason for me to do a LP of the good translation patch to show the good things of this game.

I initially wanted to play it due to the mechanics, too. The whole thing about capturing, that every stat caps at 20, Pursuit Criticals, and the different skills is really interesting still and I will remember the game for those things, if anything. Still, I'll take Three Houses, Radiant Dawn, Path of Radiance, and Echoes over Thracia any day of the week.

What ultimately made me stop playing wasn't the mechanics of the game, but rather the fact that I got stuck on a chapter for almost two days without any solution to anything. I know I'm bad at Fire Emblem and I admit that fully (you'll never see me touch anything above Normal or Hard, depending on the game).
Which is why I eventually said "screw it, you tried it out, it wasn't for you, leave it at that" or as the saying goes "know when to fold 'em".

1 hour ago, Caster said:

Well, since you won't be going back to it anyways, Eyvel can't die until really late in the game for plot reasons, so no she didn't. The RNG will manipulate itself so she doesn't get hit, so she's a very useful character early on.

Well, isn't that just precious. I almost had a heart attack when she got low on HP and thought to myself "I have to do this crap all over again?!?"

It is very excusable to fail in FE5. 

Chapter 4, 4x and 5 feature tons of enemies against a weak undermanned  group.

Surviving against Darshin's knights and recruiting Asvel in time require a bit luck.

That said I do not like early game either because of the lack on units and resources.

The actual fun begins with the reunion and when more interesting stuff can be captured.

Edited by Zemuria

15 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And one of those Rares being T-elos obviously, why is her name not all caps like KOS-MOS?

I guess it's because KOS-MOS's name is an acronym.

Speaking of KOS-MOS and T-elos, I'm not sure if this is just coincidence or not, but Lana and Cia from the Hyrule Warriors games have their respective color schemes in their default appearances (for bonus points, the latter is left-handed).