The Last To Post Wins!

Darros

I don't usually tag people who I don't think actually like talking to me so I don't like to bother them know well.
But @Interdimensional Observer , I have started TearRing Saga, with the intent to actually finish it this time, and hopefully I won't need to swap computers, or lose my files somehow, again. 
So hopefully I'm in it till the end now.

Currently just beat chapter 8, before the first split. If you'd like to give any advice, since you're the only person I know who seems to like this game a lot and know it well, I'd just figure I'd say I was playing it.

• Replies 179.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Breezy Kanzaki

• Ein

• Caster

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Caster said:

Currently just beat chapter 8, before the first split. If you'd like to give any advice, since you're the only person I know who seems to like this game a lot and know it well, I'd just figure I'd say I was playing it.

Are you looking to get every secret item/thing? You'll have to put certain units in one group or another to do so, and often do some extra stuff on top of that.

I'll put all secret goodies stuff in a spoilers box, so you can see it if you want to, but you don't have to if you don't want to.:

Spoiler

Team Runan:

• Plum- Have her visit a certain house in Chapter 10. This will show benefits later, but Runan will lose her for the rest of this split.
  • Raffin- Gets to recruit someone, and a little something extra. Pay attention to the text, and you should have an idea of who he recruits.
  • Sasha- Gets a little Lck from a battle conversation with someone who you'll know she can talk to later.
  • Kate- If Sasha is also present, gets a conversation with no benefits from them.
  • Zieg & Norton- If placed in this group with Kate, they get conversation together.
  • Narron- Increases his support level with Runan.
  • Luca and Raquel- They get a no-benefits conversation together.
  • Esther- If Arkis is placed here, she gets a no-benefits conversation with him.

Team Holmes:

• Barts- Can visit a house in Chapter 14, if Plum visited a certain house in Chapter 10. Holmes can visit that house instead though.
  • Vega- Can have a conversation giving him supports with Shigen and another character yet to join.
  • Roger and Mel- Can obtain the Ensorcel staff for Mel if you visit Mars Temple.
  • Mahter- Can recruit somebody, but is not necessary for doing so, said character will automatically be recruited if you complete the chapter keeping them alive.
  • Xeno- Gets no-benefit conversations with Holmes, Katri, and an NPC armed with Prelude in a certain battle.
  • Juni- Will give the Empower staff to a certain character yet to join. Look to character titles as to who you need to do the recruiting of this character in the first place.
  • Garo- Can have a no-benefits conversation with an NPC armed with a Luna Sword in a certain battle.
  • At least one of: Sasha, Kate, Raffin, Esther, Norton, or Roger.

Could Go Either way and Benefit:

• Arkis and Kreiss-
    • Runan- They have a conversation strengthening their support bonuses to each other.
    • Holmes- Necessary for completing the Leteena Event.
  • Maruj- 
    • Runan- Obtains the Reeve Tome. This is an item that when sitting in a character's inventory, increases their HP, Magic, Luck, and Mastery growths by 10%.
    • Holmes- Can obtain a powerful tome in Mars Temple. There are two copies of this tome in the game, you can get the other without Maruj.

If you're curious about how to get the other copy of the tome Maruj obtains, then in Chapter 21, field a certain character who joins in Chapter 11. If you paid attention earlier about what that character said, you'll eventually figure out what to do. Also, bringing the other character who joins in Chapter 11 can give you a different reward, if you can figure out what they're supposed to do.

To put it in a separate spoilers box in case you're okay with more details for Chapter 21:

Spoiler

Alicia- Talk to Alfred.

Samson- Talk to Katrina.

Garo- Talk to Sennet, has no rewards.

Mahter and Frau- I think they can each talk with Verna, no benefits.

San- Can talk with her mother Silva, no rewards.

Xeno- Can talk to Tia, no rewards.

And maaaaybe Holmes can talk with Richard, or Maruj with Alfred, but I'm not so sure of these.

And Runan and Holmes reunite, kill Shigen. This will allow you to recruit another character notably sooner than you otherwise could. Don't worry, Shigen will rejoin later with his stats exactly as you left them. Delay his "death" for as long as you can so he can fight as much as possible. If you realize "Oh dear, Holmes is about to rejoin Runan!", it isn't an issue if you still have even one little fight left to go. Katri's Large Breath as Neuron can harm her allies, so you can use two shots of that to kill Shigen no problem. 

For more general advice not about obtaining goodies quite so secret:

Most important:

• Runan has a linear series of battles, no breaks between them. Holmes will have access to skirmishes for grinding, at least before he heads to a certain Valley (he'll get access to skirmishes again later). So give Runan most of your stronger units (Zieg is great!), and place anyone you want to train up with Holmes.
  • Mel will always follow her husband, if you split them apart, she will without you noticing it join whichever route he is on.
  • Raquel is great with Holmes, since he fights monsters a bunch more than Runan, and she has no ethical qualms about killing monsters.

About Narcus and money:

• If you intend to recruit Narcus, you should give most or all of your money to Holmes. If you have any Gold Bags, give them to Runan and wait until the start of Chapter 10 if recruiting Narcus to use them. This will be almost necessary if you wish to obtain one of only two Wyvern Flutes to promote Pegasus Knights in the game, since it costs 10k to buy it.
  • I don't think recruiting Narcus is absolutely necessary for getting two other characters later. As long as he is alive and you visited the house he was in in Chapter 3 with Runan, then you'll get the one who gets the other.

Useful concerning money, if you don't mind some grinding:

• Money can be tight in TRS, if you don't mind arena-grinding someone who won't break the rest of the game in half, put Tomas on Holmes's team. Teach him Gladiator from a house and throw him in the Arena against anything that isn't a mage or sword user, he has a very high chance of living and earning a little money. Buy him new bows as needed, since you use your own weapons in the TRS Arena.
  • Alternatively, you can use a Thief, since they'll have a Skl+Spd = % chance of stealing the enemy's weapon (which are often great) in the Arena, in addition to getting you money. But this is much riskier.
  • Holmes has a map that, during his second split, is infinitely repeatable and can last as long as at least one enemy lives. This map not only has an Arena, but it also has two shops with discounted prices. However, to use the shops, a male character from your team must man the Armory, and a female character the item Shop. Pick characters you aren't using to man these shops, they'll rejoin later.

And lastly:

• A key to the Secret Shops can be found exactly two spaces right of Narcus's starting position. I think you'll need him to find it. Secret Shops are just houses that'll shoo you away if you don't carry the key. Each visit to a Secret Shop, regardless of if you bought anything or not, depletes one use. They always have nice stuff, but it's really expensive.
  • There is a trip
  • Take Chapter 10 slow, let somebody with a stache go where they want to first.
  • Impossible enemies will resolve themselves, in time.
  • Too many chests to decide? This is your guide:
Spoiler
Gold Bag Saint Proof MAG Plus   Gold Bag Armorslayer Brave Crossbow
DEF Plus Gold Bag Physic   Gold Bag WLV Plus Gold Bag
Magic Shield LUK Plus Gold Bag   POW Plus Knight Crest AGI Plus
SKL Plus Gold Bag Gold Bag   Gold Bag Hero Crest Azioth
Steel Shield Gold Bag       MHP Plus Hellfire

I've corrected a few item names here to match the fan translation.

I can provide advice for the later route splits when they come up. Just one word of advice- makes sure the one bearing the title "Youth of Blahd" does not perish. I won't say why.

Did I go overboard? Just trying to help!

29 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Did I go overboard? Just trying to help!

Nope, you didn't, no worries! The specific help I wanted was to just make sure who I should send where, but all the other information is a nice bonus.

The only other thing I want to know is when exactly I should promote people (what level is preferred), since I don't entirely know how the system works in this game, so any information on that front would be helpful.
I know people learn skills in certain classes, so I'm wary of that. I know I should wait to promote Sasha until she's 10, so she gets her skills (which I did), but other than that I'm a bit in the dark.

2 hours ago, Caster said:

The only other thing I want to know is when exactly I should promote people (what level is preferred), since I don't entirely know how the system works in this game, so any information on that front would be helpful.
I know people learn skills in certain classes, so I'm wary of that. I know I should wait to promote Sasha until she's 10, so she gets her skills (which I did), but other than that I'm a bit in the dark.

How promotion works in TearRing Saga is as follows:

• Use the appropriate item, Knight Crest, Hero Crest, Wyvern Flute, or ...Sage Crest is it called? I forget exactly. This will be easy to figure out when looking at character in the menu and seeing what their unit type is. Not everyone can promote, including not a single Staff user or Thief.
  • Units who can promote, other than Sasha with her Pegasus Flute, must be at least level 10 to do so. Their maximum level is 20 unpromoted.
  • When a unit promotes, their maximum level cap becomes current level + 10. So a level 10 promoter has a cap of 30, a 15 has 35, a 20 has 40.
    • Sasha's promotion to Pegasus Knight does not increase her level cap. But she can use a Wyvern Flute to promote again.
  • Runan and Holmes have story promotions, and their level cap is 30 unpromoted. 
  • All units who can't promote/are already promoted have level caps of 30.
  • You can use an Occult Book to increase a unit's level cap by 10. The maximum level possible is 40.

As for skill-learning and promotion:

• If you have Narron, before he reaches level 12 is the time to promote. Narron gets Lethality- (unit Skl - enemy Skl + 3 = %) chance of instantly kill an enemy- if he reaches level 12 as a Gold Paladin.
  • Norton also wants to promote before level 12 to learn Pavise- (current level = %) chance gaining +20 Def when attacked- and Norton otherwise doesn't learn it until level 25. Norton gets +3 Move thanks to a horse too, which seriously helps his usability.
  • Maruj wants to promote at exactly level 19, because at 19 as a Mage he gets Adept, and at level 20 as a Sage he gets Sol.
  • Xeno gets Lethality as a level 13 Mercenary, so wait until at least after that to promote him.
  • Samson gets Nihil as a level 20 Fighter, so you should wait until he caps level to get it. But, Nihil isn't very useful, so you won't miss a lot promoting him earlier.
  • Attrom learns Sol at level 15 Mercenary, so wait until at least then to promote him.
  • Kate and someone else in her class gain a horse on promotion, so if you want the extra mobility, you should promote them earlier.

Mariah has to choose between one of two skills:

• Level 15 Mage- Wrath- Crit increases as HP falls (100 - [Current HP x 100 / Max HP]) = Crit increase. At exactly a quarter of your HP missing, this means the boost is 25 Crit, 50 at half, 75 at three-quarters, and almost 100 Crit at 1 HP. And everything in between gives in between amounts.
  • Level 15 Sage- Luna- (user Skl - enemy Skl + 3 = %) chance of negating enemy Def/Res when attacking.

Given Res is only 1/2 of a unit's Magic here, Wrath is the far better choice IMO. So I'd wait until she learns Wrath to promote her.

A slew of units get skills after level 30, one Thief gets Astra at level 40 for instance. But, don't worry about these. Unless you have Paragon or do a lot of Arena/skirmishes with Holmes, it is highly unlikely someone might reach level 40.

I found a lot of my units ended the game in their mid-20s, despite promoting at 20 for almost all of them, and I was fine, so a 30 level cap should suffice for many. And since those Occult Books exist, an early promotion, while not incentivized like Shadows of Valentia for many of its classes, is still perfectly okay in TRS.

20 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Ah! they changed the name to Ys in the new tl?

Yep. It used to be "Iss". This makes Ronan Adol the Blue.

Both the Thracia village and the Action-RPG franchise are very very likely derived from Ys/Is/Ker-Is/Ville d'Ys, a mythical city in the Brittany region of France, said to have sunk into the ocean. So it's like a French Atlantis or a modern NYC and Miami.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

30 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

-snip-

Alright, so promoting did work like how I assumed it did, so thank you for very much for answering! It makes a lot more sense, now.

And thank you for listing all of the skills. I was worried I missed something, or the skill system was more complex than I thought it was, but it isn't. Which is good.

2 hours ago, Caster said:

Alright, so promoting did work like how I assumed it did, so thank you for very much for answering! It makes a lot more sense, now.

And thank you for listing all of the skills. I was worried I missed something, or the skill system was more complex than I thought it was, but it isn't. Which is good.

You're welcome. 

And I did forget one thing earlier-

Give Holmes at least one of: Sasha, Kate, Norton, Raffin, Esther, or Roger. Only one is necessary, and if you're bringing Mel to Holmes for her Ensorcel staff, then you'll be bringing Roger here already. 

Doing this lets you pick one more character from Marlon's forces by visiting Welt Castle again. You'll have the three you didn't pick after Chapter 1, with their stats and equips the same. Or, you can pick Lionel, a new guy with nice stats.

I'd rather strip Geneaolgy of it's identity and get a fun game in return than have it be unique but a pain in the ass to play.

Hooo boy, i think that's my spiciest take i've ever had on Geneaology of the Holy War.

1 hour ago, DragonFlames said:

tzHNnHK.jpg

Scary...

3rd route taimu!

Yup, you get Marianna this time. She's some broken skills that girl. IIrc she had both AT delay and AT Advance skills. Pretty good support 😄

20 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Hooo boy, i think that's my spiciest take i've ever had on Geneaology of the Holy War.

Remake discussions always have 2 camps:

Those who want it super faithful including all the faults it had

Those want it to actually change and fix stuff

I am in 2nd camp. I'd rather play the old game than a new game just HD'fied. Noticeable changes should be there for a remake.

Edited by Shrimperor

Well at least they're being honest.🙄😙😜

And, British Amazon doesn't seem to know what a Nintendo Switch is:

Spoiler

"The UK arm of retail giant Amazon has been forced to apologise to a selection of its customers after they were sent seemingly random items instead of the Switch consoles they had purchased during Black Friday week.

Around a dozen customers have complained directly to Amazon via its Twitter account, which has stated that it is launching an investigation into why buyers were sent items unrelated to their original purchase.

However, some of those same customers are now angry that they will have to pay full price for the console as refunds take a while to process and the Black Friday reductions have since passed.

Some of the items sent out included a copy of David Walliams' latest book, a laptop fan cooler, a pack of AA Duracell batteries and a box of washing powder, a ream of paper, a microphone and a tambourine, a shaver and electric toothbrush, a Remington facial hair trimmer, Lego, bedsheets, and bottle of "photopolymer resin".

One customer was sent a box of dog food and washing up liquid, and, upon swiftly returning the item, was then sent a packet of air freshener as a replacement. Last time we checked, Zelda: Breath of the Wild isn't compatible with air freshener.

It would appear that this issue has been present since before Black Friday; in October, another Amazon customer reported that they had been sent a pack of condoms after ordering a Nintendo Switch."

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/12/people_order_switch_consoles_from_amazon_get_hilariously_random_items_instead

3 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Remake discussions always have 2 camps:

Those who want it super faithful including all the faults it had

Those want it to actually change and fix stuff

I am in 2nd camp. I'd rather play the old game than a new game just HD'fied. Noticeable changes should be there for a remake.

Ditto.

4 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

tzHNnHK.jpg

Scary...

Oh my god.