The Last To Post Wins!

Darros

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

tbf though, you should always check every unit before the Map starts. Especially since you just came from three houses with the 5 Range enemy Snipers, and 4 Range 7 Mov Bow Knights.

I mean yes, but at the same time, it's Ch.3. I personally don't check the map until i'm past the early chapters.

While i haven't gotten that far, i did find out that i'm gonna have to deal with Berserk Staffs again and i was just

ezgif-3-b0e22bab9804.gif

4 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I think this says more about Kaga as a game designer than anything else

I mean, all things considered, this game isn't as bad as FE4 or 5 imo. It's lack of budget shows but it honestly feels like a better version of FE3 but not in the way that FE12 is. It's basically FE3 but with skills and without the archaicness of the SNES game. That's the best way i can describe it. 

It also lets you save every five turns which means you won't always have to reset the entire map if you lose someone.

• Replies 180k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Breezy Kanzaki

• Ein

• Caster

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

I mean, all things considered, this game isn't as bad as FE4 or 5 imo. It's lack of budget shows but it honestly feels like a better version of FE3 but not in the way that FE12 is. It's basically FE3 but with skills and without the archaicness of the SNES game. That's the best way i can describe it. 

It also lets you save every five turns which means you won't always have to reset the entire map if you lose someone.

I didn't say he was a bad game designer, though. ;)

Facetiousness aside, I do believe Kaga is a bit of a sadist when it comes to designing games. He likes throwing players for a loop like that.
Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is entirely up to interpretation. *innocent whistle*

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

While i haven't gotten that far, i did find out that i'm gonna have to deal with Berserk Staffs again and i was just

Inb4, in true Kaga fashion, you don't get a restore staff until 5 chapters after the first Berserk staff.

Just now, DragonFlames said:

I do believe Kaga is a bit of a sadist when it comes to designing games.

I wouldn'T say he is a sadist. I never found his FE games that hard. 

However, he expects the players to have the power of foresight or something.

And in a game like FE, lack of player info is, imo, Bad game design.

Just now, Shrimperor said:

I wouldn'T say he is a sadist. I never found his FE games that hard. 

However, he expects the players to have the power of foresight or something.

And in a game like FE, lack of player info is, imo, Bad game design.

hqdefault.jpg

And since you asked about them (and I didn't see it until just now. Why?!?), here are some of my favorite maps in the series:

Radiant Dawn, 2-E
Echoes SoV: Act 3 Alm-side Final map
Echoes SoV: Duma map
Awakening: Chapter 20
Awakening: Chapter 21
Path of Radiance: Chapter 8
Radiant Dawn, 3-7
Radiant Dawn, 3-E
Three Houses Chapter 7
Three Houses Chapter 12
Three Houses Azure Moon/Verdant Wind Chapter 17
Three Houses Verdant Wind Final Chapter

I honestly haven't thought too much about what my favorite maps are. I'll have to give some thought to that.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

6 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I'd think most stuff is not things you have to know on a first playthrough.

usually you have to, or you lose a unit, or worse, game over.

@DragonFlamesVW Final Map is good? I really hope it is because CF and SS final maps were both, eh. Especially SS.

Edited by Shrimperor

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

usually you have to, or you lose a unit, or worse, game over.

Is having to do something like start the chapter again really that tedious? Even in the most egregious cases I've had to do something like that, it's never been that bad to me. I learned, now I know what to expect. Isn't that usually how things should go?

We're never told all to expect in any given situation in life, usually.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

5 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

@DragonFlamesVW Final Map is good? I really hope it is because CF and SS final maps were both, eh. Especially SS.

I thought it was pretty cool, at the very least. Plenty of tough enemies, terrain to hide in, plenty of opportunities for different approaches... and a music track that rivals Twilight of the Gods as far as the best final map themes go.

7 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Is having to do something like start the chapter again really that tedious?

Yes. Chapters in FE take a long a while, especially late game. I don't wanna restart an hour of progress for something that is no fault of my own.

7 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

it's never been that bad to me. I learned, now I know what to expect.

Example: Thracia 776 chapter where you get Ced. In that chapter, there are same turn reinforcements that teleport right in the middle of your army and move/attack at the same turn. A Dark Mage suddenly appearing made me almost rage quit a game that i almost finished. It was that bad.

Or Enemy green units that also appear and attack at the same turn. They appear at turn 8 :'D

And how can i expect Pegasus Knights to suddenly appear and attack(FE12)? That just forced me to play super campy.

And don't let me start on FE6.

No, thank you.

Spoiler

We're never told all to expect in any given situation in life, usually.

I don't play games to expect real life. Realism should be thrown outta the window if it's gonna make the game unfun.

Edited by Shrimperor

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

Yes. Chapters in FE take a long a while, especially late game. I don't wanna restart an hour of progress for something that is no fault of my own.

Well, for me, I can live with it. At least you can do a do-over in a video game. Life in general doesn't, after all.

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

Example: Thracia 776 chapter where you get Ced. In that chapter, there are same turn reinforcements that teleport right in the middle of your army and move/attack at the same turn. A Dark Mage suddenly appearing made me almost rage quit a game that i almost finished. It was that bad.

Or Enemy green units that also appear and attack at the same turn. They appear at turn 8 :'D

And how can i expect Pegasus Knights to suddenly appear and attack(FE12)? That just forced me to play super campy.

And don't let me start on FE6.

No, thank you.

I suppose I'm just used to it. I play SRW much more than FE, where enemy reinforcements can show up in the middle of the Enemy Phase (though their spawn triggers work in such a way you can trigger them in the middle of Player Phase instead); and since it's the EP, they can act right away. Never found it tedious either, by the way.

Just now, Shrimperor said:

Does SRW have perma-death?

Not as severe of a penalty. You loose money, which means it's money that isn't going for upgrades.

A less severe punishment doesn't invalidate the argument, though. It's still not ideal to loose money on repairs, so loosing a unit is still best to just restart. Or load your last battle save.

On the other hand, Game Over in SRW means you are sent back to the intermission screen... with all the money and EXP you gained in the chapter. On the other hand, SRW has scaling enemies so keeping your EXP does not do much when enemies level with you. Except that higher levels still mean more SP and Seishin unlocks, as enemies don't use Seishin.

Thing is, restarting a chapter or having to load a battle save is something that can still happen in SRW as in FE; and I'm fine with that.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

A less severe punishment doesn't invalidate the argument, though.

It definetly changes stuff though. 

Like, in Valkyria chronicles they are sometimes a thing as well, but when a characters falls there, you have some time to rescue them before they perma die, which makes it much much more bearable.

For me, nothing makes wanna drop a FE game so fast as bad ambush spawns early game.

Sounds like a shame.

As I see it, it only an ambush the first time around. Then it's just a regular spawn. Like when you gain a PC and can use right away in the turn they show up.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

You know, one thing i really miss in modern FE is old sytle recruitment + Hype recruitment theme in the middle of battle. New games have been really lacking in the regard. Especially the Hype recruitment theme thing.

Edited by Shrimperor

2 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I'd think most stuff is not things you have to know on a first playthrough.

I dunno - the Jugdral games in particular require heavy foreknowledge, and some other FEs have aspects that will throw you for a loop if you weren't warned about them beforehand (Chrom's forced marriage in Awakening, Kaze dying in Birthright, the children's paralogues in Fates in general, requiring certain items to get the true end in Mystery and Binding Blade, the switching perspectives in Radiant Dawn, as well as the fact that some of the overpowered characters you get in part 1 go away for a long time, meaning you better have raised your other units).

Edited by Shadow Mir

I was fighting the level 85 Unique monster in Torna, and I cant help but laugh at seeing myself healing him for 40,000 per hit, allies damage not included. This is kind of annoying, and aside from letting my allies die/forcing them not to attack, I'm not sure what the best way to deal with this is.

Reloaded my turn 240 save, and this time I burned my money some cheap Ancient-Classical units and few more Crossbowmen, when turn 250 rolled around, Montezuma never attacked me. I also realized he had a city wedged between two of mine that had no defenders at all, so I built a load of units east of it, ready to pounce if need be and then hurry to support the very important city beyond it.

Maybe the threat of losing his little city was enough to thwart his aggression, or maybe it was because I realized he could only get me on one side via a city-state, which I managed to flip to my suzerainty. Sure the city-state would have been devoured if he declared war, he had that many troops lined up, but, on Chieftain difficulty, this might have been sufficient deterrent. As a precaution I continued to build a few more troops and backed them up by flipping another two city-states he controlled, one of which served as a back door to his capital. Though that flipping came around the very last turn, and thanks to it I discovered he wasn't entirely defenseless, whereas elsewhere his army was Ancient to Medieval, he had whatever uses a bazooka icon at near his capital.

I didn't count the exact turn, but it couldn't have been later than 310 when I suddenly got my Cultural Victory. So, an emergency military buildup did nothing to slow down my ambitions of a refined world. Yay! I've won twice peacefully! 

And I did not realizing how Nzinga's ability worked initially, sculptures being so rare among Great Artists, he is better going for Archaeology if you can harvest the stuff.

Domination might be fun to try next, but now that I understand a Religious Victory better, I might go for that. I didn't Declare Inquisition before, I'll need to do that now. Apostles go on the offense, Inquisitors defend my cities, I get it.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

3 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I dunno - the Jugdral games in particular require heavy foreknowledge, and some other FEs have aspects that will throw you for a loop if you weren't warned about them beforehand (Chrom's forced marriage in Awakening, Kaze dying in Birthright, the children's paralogues in Fates in general, requiring certain items to get the true end in Mystery and Binding Blade, the switching perspectives in Radiant Dawn, as well as the fact that some of the overpowered characters you get in part 1 go away for a long time, meaning you better have raised your other units).

Yes, it can be unexpected; but nothing that you can't advance through the game after the fact.

1) Admittedly, I can't really tell well this; but I'm pretty sure Lucina can be a viable unit no matter the mother, even the Maiden. Though by Ch11 I'd think even a blind first-time playthrough is going to have Chrom with at least C rank with someone. There's also the fact that Lucian is, well, just one unit.
2) Sure, loosing a unit you've invested for a while can suck... but he's still just one unit. Game doesn't become unwinnable; and in the remote chance Kaze was your only trained unit outside Corrin... well, that's more player error than game error and Birthright is the game that allows you for endless grinding so getting everyone else up to par is possible. Having to do it could be considered the punishment for neglecting them. In that remote chance. Otherwise... rest of party should be in shape to go on.
3) Being paralogues they're already optional. Besides, this also applies the "look through it once to learn; if you couldn't deal with it, now you know for the second try".
4) True Endings they may be; but game is still beatable with or without unlocking them. If the player couldn't unlock the true end on the first try, well, that's the goal for a second playthrough, applying what they learned from the first. Besides, if the True Ending was meant to be the first ending you'd see... then they wouldn't be unlockable. They'd be the default ending instead. Of course you'd have to work for an unlockable ending.
5) Whenever your party is replaced, at least at first, you're never thrown in a situation where your new party is unable to continue the game, as they'd start with base stats (save for any transfer bonus from PoR you did) against enemies scaled accordingly. The thing about many Part 1 units not rejoining with the rest could be a valid point; except that most of them join in the latter half, which means you'd have to have used some of the other units first. Also, between the Bargains and Base Conversations, you're given stuff to compensate. Perhaps this was something addressed in localization, since the Prf weapons of the Dawn Brigade were added to overseas releases, likely on that very chance you mentioned of not being trained properly beforehand. In the off-chance you were deliberately ignoring them in the first half... well, that's once again player error than the game's. It's expected to face consequences.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Also another thing I forgot to mention about Thracia 776 is, that everyone is usable. I cannot really speak for the other parts aside of maybe FE9 for being extremly easy. Though the issue is that support conversations do not really exist and you do not really get to know anything about them. 

Vestaria Saga Ch.5. There's a really strong axe and sword couple in the middle-northen portion of the map. Both of them say they don't like the fight and are planning on leaving. I don't know how to get them to leave. 20 turns later. I find out that i have to get the squishy cleric that appeared earlier in the map in range of the sword girl so that the latter would attack her but miss all four times (this is garuanteed). Doing so will cause the couple to become green allies. The game does not tell you that you have to do this. Had i not asked on Discord, i wouldn't have found out. Because who in their right mind would send a squishy cleric against a brave sword-wielding swordmaster?

Kaga. This isn't the 90s anymore. You gotta tell me these things.

Also FE4 Great Shield is back. Jooooooooooooooooy.

18 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

You know, one thing i really miss in modern FE is old sytle recruitment + Hype recruitment theme in the middle of battle. New games have been really lacking in the regard. Especially the Hype recruitment theme thing.

At least in regards to recruitment, it's really just Echoes and Three Houses that don't have it. In both instances, characters are recruited outside of battle. As for hype recruitment themes, we haven't had those since FE8 (not counting the various remixes of Together We Ride).

15 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

I was fighting the level 85 Unique monster in Torna, and I cant help but laugh at seeing myself healing him for 40,000 per hit, allies damage not included. This is kind of annoying, and aside from letting my allies die/forcing them not to attack, I'm not sure what the best way to deal with this is.

Oh yeah, that one. Is that the one that eats the Element Orbs? Because you're not supposed to use Blade Combos on it.

Edited by Armagon

It's time again

Time for full hype
time for

16 minutes ago, Armagon said:

we haven't had those since FE8

...With Us/Stalwarts unite? It's my fav. xD

And Kaga at it again i see xD

8 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

wpy7Im3.jpg

See you in three days, guys!

Have fun^^