The Last To Post Wins!

Darros

32 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Getting Shinon back in Path of Radiance is another egregious one, largely because character death in this series is permanent far more often than not. The only hint to this happens to be in a completely different game

I'm confused. What hint about Shinon's PoR recruitment is in a different game?

35 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Even Three Houses doesn't avoid this, as some paralogues are only available after the timeskip, and some even require students from two different houses (the sole exception is Petra and Bernadetta's paralogue). What's more, on one route, one paralogue can even close after a certain point, and that's only avoidable by having Byleth defeat one of two specific characters. Once again, that's not even hinted at at all. For bonus points, said paralogue also requires units from two different houses. Or how about the Opera Co. Volunteers battalion? It requires taking Dorothea to the Enbarr map on any route aside from Crimson Flower (to be fair, the game does tell you that the opera hall is tied to Dorothea and Manuela's past, and this does get brought up quite a bit) and having her approach the opera hall.

Hiding stuff for the sake of hiding stuff is just stupid

I don't think the game is designed to get all the paralogues and characters in one playthrough and I think that's fine. It's less hiding stuff from the player and more rewarding players for replaying the game and trying different characters and strategies imo.

37 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Another concern, which is the polar opposite, is the fact that a new player won't know who's good for long-term use and who is best avoided, and might spread experience too thin.

I don't really get this argument. New players don't need to be coddled. When I first got into the series, I sucked. Like having troubles with Sacred Stones on normal mode sucked. But I faced consequences from my misplays/mismanagement of resources and it made me a better player.

• Replies 180k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Breezy Kanzaki

• Ein

• Caster

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:
Still, there should be a hint at least. Chapter 16 in FE6 is especially egregious, as is involves NOT killing a certain enemy... with nothing in the way of hints that you should not kill said enemy. Worse yet, the enemy you should not kill always advances towards your army. Getting Shinon back in Path of Radiance is another egregious one, largely because character death in this series is permanent far more often than not. The only hint to this happens to be in a completely different game. Even freaking Stefan from the same game at least gave you a hint via an info conversation. Odds are no one would know how to get those two without a guide. Even Three Houses doesn't avoid this, as some paralogues are only available after the timeskip, and some even require students from two different houses (the sole exception is Petra and Bernadetta's paralogue). What's more, on one route, one paralogue can even close after a certain point, and that's only avoidable by having Byleth defeat one of two specific characters. Once again, that's not even hinted at at all. For bonus points, said paralogue also requires units from two different houses.

Hiding stuff for the sake of hiding stuff is just stupid, especially when some of the stuff you're not told is necessary to beat the game. Like F-Zero for the SNES, which has one course with a big jump you won't make unless you hold down on the D-Pad during the jump to give your vehicle extra lift. The manual says the D-Pad is only for steering, which would make the player think down wouldn't do anything.

I don't think I can answer everything in just one post, so let me answer piece by piece, starting with this. I won't answer the Three Houses example because I don't have the game and haven't checked enough videos for every single line of script and stuff. I can answer the others, however.

First: Douglas. There are hints. Dialogue before Ch16 clearly states Douglas isn't fighting for Bern or the Revolutionaries, he fights for the Etrurian King, currently prisoner. By that point you know Elphin is Etruria's prince. If you recruited Percival, you also know Larum is his adopted daughter. Also, being an Etrurian General, you know Percival and Cecilia also have ties to him. At this point, even if Binding Blade is your first game, you should be familiar with the FE formula of characters being able to Talk with others to recruit them, depending on their relations. All but Percival are mandatory recruits, so unless they died, which would be player error instead of game error, then you have the tools at your disposal and already know how to use them.

Now, when you play the chapter, you have up to three units to talk to him. It can be understandable if sending one to talk you get surprised Douglas doesn't join; and it's repeated with the others. However, Douglas makes quite clear of his intentions:

To Elphin, he says:

“The king is still in the enemy’s hands. If I turn against Bern now, the king would be in danger…”

To Larum he says something similar:

“King Mordred is still in the hands of the enemy. If I turn to Lycia Alliance Army now, then the king’s life would be in danger.”

Cecilia:

Cecilia:
“Lord Douglas… Why is someone of your stature fighting for the Revolutionaries…?”

Douglas:
“I am prioritizing the king’s safety. That is all.”

And Percival:

“The king is still in the hands of the enemy. If I turn to Lycia Alliance Army now, then the king’s life would be in danger.”

It's made quite clear there: Douglas doesn't betray Bern and the revolutionaries so long they're active. Take them out; and Douglas would have no reason to keep being your enemy. You can be told thrice, so it's absolutely false the game doesn't tell you what you need to do: To keep him alive while you take out every other enemy. Since every map is a Seize map, you know there can still be enemy units present even after you kill the boss, so Douglas still being alive and a enemy becomes a non-issue. If there's no event of him changing sides even if you rout everybody else... then that's just a sign you must seize.

Now, it's true Douglas will go to attack you... but again, unlocking the True Ending is meant to be a challenge. So having him with an aggressive AI is simply part of it. IT's not meant to be easy, since again, it's an unlockable alternate ending what you're aiming for (or at least a powerful weapon for endgame). You can experiment, however. True to his words, Douglas will actually not attack neither Elphin nor Larum. Makes sense when one is the prince and the other his daughter. Unless you make a complex move of sending Elphin/Larum to talk, then use your cavalry to move them away, you can easily learn he won't attack them, so you can use them as bait. Also... he's a General. By that point most of your units are of similar or higher Mov. Look what route he's taking, then have Roy use the other. If he's getting closer, put a unit you know he won't be able to kill in his path, then put Elphin/Larum as well to block his path. It's called Strategy.

Okay, this post is getting too long. I'll add Shinon's explanation in a separate one.

17 minutes ago, Quiyonce said:

I'm confused. What hint about Shinon's PoR recruitment is in a different game?

The fact that it involves Rolf. They're never seen interacting in Path of Radiance before Shinon leaves. Then it requires defeating him with Ike (this part is more obvious, as every interaction between the two has Shinon make it clear he doesn't like Ike). Radiant Dawn, on the other hand, outright states that Rolf is Shinon's student.

Edited by Shadow Mir

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

The fact that it involves Rolf. They're never seen interacting in Path of Radiance before Shinon leaves. Then it requires defeating him with Ike (this part is more obvious, as every interaction between the two has Shinon make it clear he doesn't like Ike). Radiant Dawn, on the other hand, outright states that Rolf is Shinon's student.

No. PoR tells you in an all-but-outright-statement.

When Rolf joins:

Ike:
“And when did you learn to use a bow?”

Rolf:
“Well, let’s see…Um…I guess I just…sorta…picked it up naturally?”

Boyd:
“Stop lying, you booger-eating brat! You can’t just pick up a weapon and start firing away! Someone has to teach you the basics!”

Who was the only other archer in the Mercs for Rolf to learn archery from? Bingo.

Also, the game do hints at you that Rolf has a hand in his recruitment process:

Shinon
Look, it doesn't matter who you send to talk to me. My answer's the same.

Mist
Even Rolf?

Shinon
...Yeah. Even Rolf.

Look too specific. Game wouldn't have this dialogue if, in accordance to what Shinon claims, Rolf really didn't triggered something after all.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

2 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

When Rolf joins:

Who was the only other archer in the Mercs for Rolf to learn archery from? Bingo.

Look too specific. Game wouldn't have this dialogue if, in accordance to what Shinon claims, Rolf really didn't triggered something after all.

I Oscar also hints that Shinon trained Rolf based on how Rolf holds his bow in the brothers' triangle attack support. Don't remember if that was before or after Shinon's re-recruitment tho.

13 minutes ago, Quiyonce said:

I Oscar also hints that Shinon trained Rolf based on how Rolf holds his bow in the brothers' triangle attack support. Don't remember if that was before or after Shinon's re-recruitment tho.

That convo is after, since it's a Ch19 base conversation. In any case, it's beyond a doubt PoR does hint at you about Shinon and Rolf's master-student relation.

I just saw this as the rectangular ad to pop up for me on SF:

16177544313819586819?sqp=4sqPyQQrQikqJwh

Cuteness overload.

Finally an ad I like on SF. Too many GoT ones have shown up for far too long, all because I read a ton of articles on the cacafuego surrounding the final season once on Apple News, because watching something collapse can be entertaining.

Didn't realize Nintendo let Namco make this stuff. And Banpresto in particular? Kirby piloting Robobot Armor in an SRW please!

What? I thought that was the name of the Kingdom of Thracia castle conquered in Chapter 8? *Checks to see "Mease" is one spelling of it.* Did someone goof at IS? 

Mease is the castle castle directly south of Manster. I very much doubt this is a misunderstanding on the part of either the players or the translators, but it's the only thin explanation I can think of.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

They mixed up Meath and Manster, they're both taken directly from the provinces of Ireland (Meath and Munster), as is the rest of Alster, Leonster and Conote (Ulster, Leinster and Connacht).

Mease/Meath is just meant to be a city & castle in Thracia.

Edited by Tryhard

TFW just came home and you want to sleep...

Anyway,

current planned ships for BL. 

Spoiler

Dimitri x Flayn
Sylvain x Mercie
Byleth x Annette

Also, today i will reach chapter 12 again 😄

I love that map ❤️

Edited by Shrimperor

2 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Also, today i will reach chapter 12 again 😄

I love that map ❤️

I agree, it is fairly nice among 3H maps, even with me having zero context and music to go with it, I can tell the feel of the fight, it and the design aren't bad. The CF alternative is fun too. Although doesn't Hanuman have Excalibur here when he doesn't learn it as an ally?

Ten days until Tokyo Mirages Sessions #FE Encore edition releases. It's probably going to flop again, but I still like the game. Again, I'm thinking I'll do a Lunatic run of the Wii U version to share in the spirit of TMS.

20 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

When Rolf joins:

That sounds more closer to "roundabout" than "all but telling you", if you ask me, even if it is obvious enough that Rolf is lying. Also, that conversation you quoted is from ten chapters ago - well before he reappears. You think someone playing the game for the first time would remember that for when he shows up again?

18 hours ago, Quiyonce said:

That's after. But that's easy to miss because it requires having Oscar pick bows when he promotes and also requires Boyd promoted.

50 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Although doesn't Hanuman have Excalibur here when he doesn't learn it as an ally?

He does. Seems mages as enemies call upon TCIACB and get new spells that they couldn't get otherwise. Most notable with Hubert, Flayn, Mercedes and Linhardt.

Edited by Shadow Mir

Meath sounds like "Mief", which is a colloquial German word for a terrible stench.
... FE5 just got 10 times more hilarious.

---

This is bar none the best thing I have seen in a video game this decade:
o4ZJVkb.jpg

4 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

current planned ships for BL. 

Hide contents

Byleth x Annette

i-see-youre-a-man-of-culture-as-well-fea

4 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

That sounds more closer to "roundabout" than "all but telling you", if you ask me, even if it is obvious enough that Rolf is lying. Also, that conversation you quoted is from ten chapters ago - well before he reappears. You think someone playing the game for the first time would remember that for when he shows up again?

Not really. Only other option is take Rolf at face value; but then that just means it's either "Rolf taught himself, or Boyd is right and someone, who is all but stated to be Shinon, taught him". It's a nice balance between the answer being spoon-fed to you and you having to figure it out.

Someone already familiar with FE would know to commit it to memory. Or write it down. Someone new... well, there is a chance they still might. I know I would. In any case, even on the chance a player doesn't remember... well, there's the little reminder of Shinon going into specific denial about Rolf talking to him. This is the only thing you could have a point with, that the reminder hint could be vague or not easy to get since it involves talking to Shinon with a different character... but you can't say the game doesn't tell you. It does. It just doesn't spoon-fed you the answer... and that's okay.

---

Now, as promised:

On 1/6/2020 at 9:00 AM, Shadow Mir said:
Like what? The Black Knight doesn't show up until turn 6 (at least on difficulties aside from Easy). Another concern, which is the polar opposite, is the fact that a new player won't know who's good for long-term use and who is best avoided, and might spread experience too thin.

3-6 Bargains and Base Conversations:

Storm Sword Bargains
Short Spear Bargains
Short Axe Bargains
Steel Longbow Bargains
Beast Killer Bargains
Physic Bargains
Torch (staff) Bargains
Elixir Bargains
Master Crown Base conversation
Brave Axe Base conversation
Caladbolg Base conversation
Lughnasadh Base conversation
Tarvos Base conversation

The Beast Killer in particular is noticeable, since you do know in advance you will fight Laguz. This in addition to the stuff you would still have from Part 1. Most of the units that leave are Laguz, so it's not like you would have loaded lots of weapons and stuff on them to lose them for a long time. Even then the Beorc don't overlap. You're not going to get much use of any magic tomes that aren't Light (the element, not actual named Light tomes) so no big loss when you discover Ilyana and Tormod are among those who leave.

Also, Volug's Halfshift becomes removeable.

So what if they don't know. The whole point of starting a game such as FE blind for the first time is that you don't know things like that unless you deliberately look them up. Fire up the easiest difficulty, experiment, educate yourself, etc. By the time you each a point such as 3-6, you are going to have at least something you can use. Volug even at base without Halfshift can compete with 3-6 enemies, as for the others, even a first-time player is bound to start sticking with some units. BEtween the Bargains and Base convos you are given stuff to compensate any offset.

On 1/6/2020 at 9:00 AM, Shadow Mir said:
Ehh, you might not have been around back then. Some of the reviews Radiant Dawn got soon after its release bashed it for being too hard even on easy mode. Also, none of the other FE games the Americas had gotten back then were particularly hard, which would make Radiant Dawn in general a huge difficulty spike.

Not remember =/= Never learned it in the first place. I might only been following up a site like Serenes since late 2008; but I've frequented the Internet since at least 2002, as well as being interested in Fire Emblem since... about 2004-2005, more or less. Thing is, my memory ain't the best of them for stuff that happened now over ten years ago (or even more recent things).

Anyway, to be honest, reviews aren't something I'd put too much confidence with. They help; but ultimately things like the difficulty are things you have to find out yourself. A reviewer may have found it hard; but perhaps that's more on the reviewer's skill than the game actually being hard or not. The fact is I had little to no problems; and I'm fine with it.

There's also the issue of the difficulty renaming that happened in localization, if the reviews complaining about it being hard were those of overseas. The designated Normal, or default, difficulty got renamed as Easy for overseas markets. So people choosing Normal may not have known they were actually playing the designated Hard difficulty. Becomes an understandable mistake to make if they think the game is too hard by default.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

3 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

This is bar none the best thing I have seen in a video game this decade:

the decade just started though

3 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

i-see-youre-a-man-of-culture-as-well-fea

We have similiar tastes, you and i xD