The Last To Post Wins!

Darros

62,000 people at the end of the fourth in-game year... yeah, that bad ending is unavoidable at this point. GG, Atelier. GG.
I swear to any number of deities, if the Dusk trilogy has a time limit in even ONE of its games, I'm staying the f*** away from that.

• Replies 179.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Breezy Kanzaki

• Ein

• Caster

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I swear to any number of deities, if the Dusk trilogy has a time limit in even ONE of its games, I'm staying the f*** away from that.

From what I read in some reviews:

Now, we say race against the clock here and, true to Atelier series form, there is a time mechanic at work in Atelier Ayesha; however, more than at any point in the long-running history of this franchise, it's lax to the point of not really being a huge factor – unless you're really taking things way too slowly. The basic setup in terms of the time limit is that you've got three years to solve the mystery at the core of the game. Every action that you take – travelling to-and-fro across the game world, running errands and crafting essential equipment – eats away at your time, as is constantly indicated in the top corner of your screen. It's a system that's always played a big factor in Atelier games and it was a brave decision on the part of developer Gust to relax this element, as it's one we feel makes Atelier Ayesha a great jumping-in point for anyone who wants to dive into this sprawling series of twenty-one games.

First off, the time limit – which has always been a central facet of these games and which was loosened up considerably for Atelier Ayesha – is even more relaxed here. Tasks and assignments must now be completed in four-month blocks and, as long as you manage to take care of the story-pertinent task fairly rapidly, you'll always have a ton of free time left over to mill around collecting materials and hoovering up whatever side-quests you need to before handing in your final report card for the month, levelling up and receiving that sweet, sweet end-of-job stipend. [Escha and Logy]

As well as being the first Atelier game to feature a freely-moveable camera whilst out in the wilds – something that really makes it feel much more modern – this third part also switches up some of the standard gameplay loops of the franchise, this time completely excising the time limit which usually sees your characters having to complete their various tasks and missions within a set period or fail. To be fair, the last two Atelier games had made it so lax that it wasn't really much of a challenge to keep within your allocated time, but by completely removing it here, this entry allows players to relax, taking all the time they want to explore its various locations, gather and discover new resources and battle monsters. [Shallie]

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

From what I read in some reviews:

Now, we say race against the clock here and, true to Atelier series form, there is a time mechanic at work in Atelier Ayesha; however, more than at any point in the long-running history of this franchise, it's lax to the point of not really being a huge factor – unless you're really taking things way too slowly. The basic setup in terms of the time limit is that you've got three years to solve the mystery at the core of the game. Every action that you take – travelling to-and-fro across the game world, running errands and crafting essential equipment – eats away at your time, as is constantly indicated in the top corner of your screen. It's a system that's always played a big factor in Atelier games and it was a brave decision on the part of developer Gust to relax this element, as it's one we feel makes Atelier Ayesha a great jumping-in point for anyone who wants to dive into this sprawling series of twenty-one games.

First off, the time limit – which has always been a central facet of these games and which was loosened up considerably for Atelier Ayesha – is even more relaxed here. Tasks and assignments must now be completed in four-month blocks and, as long as you manage to take care of the story-pertinent task fairly rapidly, you'll always have a ton of free time left over to mill around collecting materials and hoovering up whatever side-quests you need to before handing in your final report card for the month, levelling up and receiving that sweet, sweet end-of-job stipend.

As well as being the first Atelier game to feature a freely-moveable camera whilst out in the wilds – something that really makes it feel much more modern – this third part also switches up some of the standard gameplay loops of the franchise, this time completely excising the time limit which usually sees your characters having to complete their various tasks and missions within a set period or fail. To be fair, the last two Atelier games had made it so lax that it wasn't really much of a challenge to keep within your allocated time, but by completely removing it here, this entry allows players to relax, taking all the time they want to explore its various locations, gather and discover new resources and battle monsters.

If it's lax, then that's a tiny plus, though it doesn't exactly inspire confidence, if I may say so in honesty.

And i now have Double Blow Wyvern Hilda, Death Blow Wyvern Claude, Darting Blow Sniper Leonie, Sonic fast Assassin Ignatz, Muscles Grappler Raphael and one shot killers Lys and Marianne

Golden Memes going strong.

And i think i cought up with maddening levels, for now. I shouldn't need to grind for a while.

Edited by Shrimperor

13 hours ago, Armagon said:

No, it's just that Xenosaga Episode I has like eight hours worth of cutscenes. 

I'm glad you do because it's like the only battle theme in the game apart from the final boss theme.

Yeah, this is true.

I dont mind this, honestly. It's just that good to me, I can listen to just this theme and be content.

Just played Super Mario Kart for the first time. The game genuianly makes me motion sick. But even without that, the game controls so badly and the visuals are just too much that i feel like if i was around when it came out, i would've hated it.

23 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

First off, the time limit – which has always been a central facet of these games and which was loosened up considerably for Atelier Ayesha – is even more relaxed here. Tasks and assignments must now be completed in four-month blocks and, as long as you manage to take care of the story-pertinent task fairly rapidly, you'll always have a ton of free time left over to mill around collecting materials and hoovering up whatever side-quests you need to before handing in your final report card for the month, levelling up and receiving that sweet, sweet end-of-job stipend. [Escha and Logy]

So Escha and Logy is literally just Rorona 2. That's certianly inspiring confidence.

30 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

62,000 people at the end of the fourth in-game year... yeah, that bad ending is unavoidable at this point. GG, Atelier. GG.

Like i said before, it's not really a bad ending. In case you want to know what it is

Spoiler

it's basically Meruru feeling kinda unmotivated but with a few helpful words from Keina, she gets motivated again.

19 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

If it's lax, then that's a tiny plus, though it doesn't exactly inspire confidence, if I may say so in honesty.

From what i've played of Ayesha, the objective requirements are less about "do these certain tasks" and more of just "follow the story". I guess that's one of the reasons why it's considered the starting point, at least in regards to the games with timelimits.

Oh btw, Atelier Shallie doesn't have a time-limit. That's the game that got rid of them.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

From what i've played of Ayesha, the objective requirements are less about "do these certain tasks" and more of just "follow the story". I guess that's one of the reasons why it's considered the starting point, at least in regards to the games with timelimits.

Oh btw, Atelier Shallie doesn't have a time-limit. That's the game that got rid of them.

I was not aware of this.

If the Dusk trilogy takes the Rorona approach, that's fine. Totori and Meruru get too stress fuel-y for my liking.

I is having the acquisition of first placement in this game of forums!

Edited by Benice

11 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I was not aware of this.

If the Dusk trilogy takes the Rorona approach, that's fine. Totori and Meruru get too stress fuel-y for my liking.

Well from what i've read, Escha and Logy take the Rorona approach. Ayesha takes on more of an....Ayesha approach since i can't really compare it to anything else that i've played in the series other than Ryza and that's really just in terms of tone. And then Shallie, again, has no time-limit and the time-limits wouldn't be seen again until Firis and just for it's first half (and then no game after Firis had a time-limit).

A thing to note about Ayesha. The world map looks big but only visually. Mechanically, it's really not that big. The distance that took like 10-15 days in Totori/Meruru can be crossed in like six days in Ayesha. Just eyeballing it though, don't know if i'm actually right.

I didn't get that stressed over Meruru though i do think the 100,000 population goal is dumb because the game doesn't actually tell you about it. But the overall gameplay is much, much better than Totori's so i'd rank it much higher because of it.

Edited by Armagon

Kirby's Dream Course is fun.

Just now, Rosalina said:

Population in Atelier!?

Is this series meant to be an economic simulation partially?

If so, that would be cool.

I love games like The Sims.

Well Meruru anyway since the game is about revitalizing the economy of the kingdom. I don't know if any of the other Atelier games do that. Maaaaaybe one of the pre-Rorona games but i really know nothing about those other than two of them are "Atelier goes to school".

No one would say Super MK it's the best Mario Kart around, it has retro charm to it and invented the franchise, but thats it. The Super FX Chip was no true 3D graphics. MK is a franchise where I think you can say it's only gotten better with time. Although I think there are some who prefer MKWii over MK8 on a technical level. (F-Zero seems a bit split over X vs. GX.)

This is unlike Super Mario Bros. the 2D platformers, where I see people not really ever caring for the New SMB games. And they instead put SMB3 on the golden pedestal ~65% of the time, and the remaining ~35% of the time goes to SMW.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Weirdly, despite being a big Nintendo fan with like 20 Wii games or more, I never personally owned Mario Kart Wii, I only ever borrowed it from a casual gamer cousin. But, that made my limited time with it even more treasured. Growing up, I had SMK, Double Dash, Super Circuit and weirdly DS (I dunno how I got it), and I really liked DD. Never had 64, yet again, only through a cousin did I ever play it at all, which leaves the game with a thin former mystique for me.

I can understand that. I've never owned Mario Party 1, but I have a sort of weird connection and like of it, since I had only played it a lot when I was younger because it was at this... I guess recreation center, I went to often when I was younger, so.

Y'all wanna feel old?

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Although I think there are some who prefer MKWii over MK8 on a technical level.

MKWii also has an active mod scene so that also might be a reason why some prefer it over 8.

But yeah, Mario Kart is really one of those franchises that gets better with each game (debatable in the case of Super Circuit and DS) and it gets really hard to go back to the older games if you started with the newer ones.

I started with MK Wii and this is my perspective:

Super, 64 and Super Circuit are basically unplayable. 64 controls the best out of the three but that's not saying much as it still controls like wack.

Double Dash is still fun and has a unique mechanic to make it stand out.

DS is.....fine but being forced to use a D-Pad is bleh. Missions were cool though.

Wii, 7 and 8 are basically the top three best Mario Karts imo.

Despite the headline, there's three things to note:

1. Initial supply wasn't that big

2. Most of what they had was sold out

3. Digital sales are (probably) not accounted for

This is basically Echoes all over again.