The Last To Post Wins!

Darros

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Chad.

Agreed.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Also chad.

Also agreed.
I hope to see more of this dude. He's funny.

Yeah, Monolith's been flexing on the other Nintendo-owned studios for about a decade when it comes to world design. Pictured:

27sdzfe0kzp11.png

Bionis_Leg.jpg

Img_field02_kuro_03.jpg

F8ueEopt3AQSFeeJMsrXoTqoZS2MkUQNadyp5FcF

(First two images are from Xenoblade 1, last two are from X)

Bonus: Breath of the Wild. Monolith Soft designed Hyrule in that and it shows (though I will say BotW Hyrule does feel rather empty compared to Xenoblade worlds)

1200px-BotW_Great_Plateau.png

botw-landscape.jpg

Now, I will say that despite the amazing world design and visuals, Xenoblade 1's character models were..... kinda bleh. It wasn't until 2015 with Xenoblade X that the character models started to look nicer. And this year, Xenoblade 1 finally gets to have the good character models that the other games have.

Three words: Drop Dead Gorgeous.
And I heard about the character models in Xenoblade 1. Never seen 'em myself, though, so I can't judge.
They looked fine in Xenoblade X when I saw them that one time I visited a friend who played the game.

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Thank you!
Eargasm intensifies.

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yeah, the Christianity parallels in the Japanese version are much more obvious. In addition to what you mentioned, all of the Titans are named after the Seven Deadly Sins in the Japanese version. Well, most of them. I think two of them are named after the Seven Heavenly Virtues.

The English version actually keep this trend but changes it so it's not as obvious. Gormott's Japanese name is the Latin word for Gluttoney. The English version is the derived from the French word Gourmand. Mor Ardain's name is derived from the Scottish Gaelic word mór-àrdan, which also means Pride. See the pattern here?

This is interesting. So they just picked different languages to "take" the words from. Cheeky, cheeky!

11 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Other stuff was changed to be not as obvious. The Aegis in Japanese is literally just called the Holy Grail. Elysium is literally called Eden in Japanese.

Yup. They keep calling Pyra (who herself is called Homura) "Ten no Seihai", which is Japanese for Holy Grail of Heaven, if I am not mistaken.
And Elysium is referred to as "Rakuen", which to my knowledge translates to "Paradise", which... is Eden, pretty much. 

Not to sound like a weeb, but I kinda prefer the name Homura to Pyra. It sounds more elegant.
And it reminds me of Tales of the Abyss, where the protagonist was called "Seinaru Homura no Hikari", which translates to "Light of the Sacred Flame", which is an awesome name (his actual name is just Luke, but apparently, "Light of the Sacred Flame" is what Luke actually means in that universe. Go figure.)

14 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yeah, every Xeno game has heavy Christianity parallels. It's especially present in Xenogears and Xenosaga, the latter having Jesus Christ himself. And trivia, Xenogears has so much religious symbolism and themes that it almost didn't get localized because it was the 90s and the localizers didn't want to offend people (this was around the same time that "Pokemon is Satanic" was going on) but they didn't want to change the words. In the end, they settled for some mistranslations of name, where you can tell what is is, it's just not spelled right.

Meanwhile, SMT had the God (referred to as YHVH, which is what the name is spelled like in Hebrew) be a final boss in not one, but two games and nobody said anything (though I think in the second game he appeared in, that was overshadowed by everyone getting upset over Krishna wearing a fedora).
And Digimon has the Seven Deadly Sins represented rather faithful to their descriptions as the Seven Great Demon Lords and nobody said anything.

Just now, Armagon said:

This actually isn't too far off the realm of possibility since Monolith Soft does assist other Nintendo themes with their games. BotW is the obvious one, yes, but they've also helped with Smash Bros, Animal Crossing, Splatoon. It's not as obvious but the fact that they are involved in so many other projects shows Nintendo's level of trust in them. You can't really say the same about other Nintendo studios (I mean specifically regarding how they work with other studios, you don't see IntSys doing this for instance).

Story written by Idea Factory/Compile Heart.
Gameplay by Gust.
World by Monolith.
Music by Revo.
Character design by Tsunako.
^ My personal best game ever made right here.

• Replies 180k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Breezy Kanzaki

• Ein

• Caster

Top Posters In This Topic

Nier tomata on sale, huh.

I might get this one.

42 minutes ago, Armagon said:

1 hour ago, DragonFlames said:

What is that theme you fight Akhos to for the first time called? I need that song in my life.

...I have to wait too much until my next switch haul lol. This game is definetily in it.

25 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Also agreed.
I hope to see more of this dude. He's funny.

The Zekenator will return.

The next time he shows up is considered a fan-favorite moment by the fandom, so you have that to look forward to.

And I heard about the character models in Xenoblade 1. Never seen 'em myself, though, so I can't judge.

The biggest issue with Xenoblade 1's character models was that they kinda had trouble expressing facial emotion. I do cut it some slack though because it was on the Wii and the game looks much better in it's enviornments but it's still a fair criticism.

Of course, like I said, XenoblaDE is improving upon that in every way. Here's a comparison:

Not to sound like a weeb, but I kinda prefer the name Homura to Pyra. It sounds more elegant.

I'm too used to Pyra to refer to her as Homura to refer to her by the latter but I will admit it has a nice ring to it.

Interestingly, all the Blades have different names in the Japanese version but all the humans kept their names. Though like with the names of the Titans and such, the thematics are still kept. 

33 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Meanwhile, SMT had the God (referred to as YHVH, which is what the name is spelled like in Hebrew) be a final boss in not one, but two games and nobody said anything (though I think in the second game he appeared in, that was overshadowed by everyone getting upset over Krishna wearing a fedora).
And Digimon has the Seven Deadly Sins represented rather faithful to their descriptions as the Seven Great Demon Lords and nobody said anything.

Now this is just hypothesis but I think the reason it was an issue for Xenogears' localizers is that Xenogears was a Square Enix game (then Squaresoft) and Square was like, the JRPG studio back then. SMT was around at that time too but it wasn't as known. And Digimon was 2000s iirc, so the issue wasn't there anymore.

23 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

...I have to wait too much until my next switch haul lol. This game is definetily in it.

It's my current favorite game of all time so I definitely recommend it.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

The Zekenator will return.

The next time he shows up is considered a fan-favorite moment by the fandom, so you have that to look forward to.

I already am!

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

The biggest issue with Xenoblade 1's character models was that they kinda had trouble expressing facial emotion. I do cut it some slack though because it was on the Wii and the game looks much better in it's enviornments but it's still a fair criticism.

I see, I see.
Well, judging from the video you've posted, they don't seem to be as bad as, say, the original Final Fantasy X. Heck, even in the remaster, it's still pretty bad.

I'm too used to Pyra to refer to her as Homura to refer to her by the latter but I will admit it has a nice ring to it.

I'll probably keep referring to her as Pyra, too, to avoid confusion.
While we're on the subject, playing the game in Japanese means I have to regularly look up the English names, because I keep forgetting them. When I asked you about Akhos' battle theme, I almost referred to him as Yoshitsune instead. XP
Or I could just... y'know... write them down.

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Now this is just hypothesis but I think the reason it was an issue for Xenogears' localizers is that Xenogears was a Square Enix game (then Squaresoft) and Square was like, the JRPG studio back then. SMT was around at that time too but it wasn't as known. And Digimon was 2000s iirc, so the issue wasn't there anymore.

That is a definite possibility, yeah. After all, Square was, as you said, the studio for JRPGs back in the day, thus a lot of attention was given to them in comparison to others like Atlus. Digimon started its life in 1997 as a virtual pet series (it was marketed as "Tamagotchi for boys" at the time, I believe), but the Demon Lords didn't come out until *checks Digimon wiki* the early 2000s, like you guessed. The first of them that did come out in 1999 (this guy) wasn't referred to as a member of the group at the time, I think. I could be wrong about this.

8 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Man, i was planning a months long trip soon, before i start my work life and stuff....

Why did this whole virus thing have to happen <.<

And it's kinda getting outta control...

The Corona stuff you mean? Yeah, that stuff is going to be rough.
According to an expert on epidemics from Hongkong, 60% of the entire human population will be infected by it if nothing is done.
And yet people keep travelling by plane, anyway. I would almost reference the "surprised Pikachu face" meme if the situation wasn't so serious.

Well, I've signed up for a possible chance to be accepted on an... I think the term here would be apprenticeship, I think, for CNC machining.

So that I can fulfill the "must have X time of experience" requirement of something for once....

---

Oh boy, is talk of the virus gonna be here too...

7 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

And yet people keep travelling by plane

I mean, people still need to get stuff done. Honestly, i see big gatherings (Hello, Carnival...)  as more of a problem...

5 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Oh boy, is talk of the virus gonna be here too.

Sorry sorry for bringing this up. It's just, i was planning a change of scenerey that i really need before starting real worklife and all, but then this happened and it's scary

My brother and I are stocking up on supplies just in case this gets too serious. If y'all haven't thought about doing that yet you probably should before everything runs out. Get some gas masks, canned food, bottled water, guns, and a flashlight. At least, if y'all are doomsday peppers like my brother. Oh, and, sorry for bringing this up. Just wanted to notify y'all.

Edited by Brovett

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

SMT was around at that time too but it wasn't as known.

Not a single NES/SNES one left Japan, and considering the first has the silent protag's mom eaten by a demon in the first two hours, and within the next 3-5 US Ambassador Thorman on behalf of God nukes Japan to cleanse it, I think I can understand why. 

One of the first games to leave Japan, the very first Persona, was infamously twisted in the original translation. 90% of things that indicated it was in Japan were replaced with things to make it feel "American"- names, food, money, and they cut out the alternative story route to boot. And then they didn't bring Persona 2's first half over because the big bad takes the form of Hitler to accomplish its goals.

SMT's breakout in the West was SMTIII: Nocturne (the second edition of the game specifically, called Nocturne Maniax in Japan and Lucifer's Call in Europe) in 2004. Persona's breakout was in 2007, with Persona 3.

And as an aside, Nocturne has two opening sequences when you load up the game, and the second is still cool to me.:

Spoiler

The original non-Maniax version that was only in Japan had very different openings too:

Spoiler

---

As for Coronavirus, I was watching the news and a former federal health official said only 15-20% of the infected seem so far to require hospitalization, the rest experience nothing worse than a case of cold or flu.In addition, the death rate is 2-3%, not good to have any death rate, but one shouldn't overly panic. And, while large gatherings are being canceled, they said nothing is wrong with taking a flight to virus non-hotspots or going to a restaurant. Still, packing two weeks' of emergency supplies as you would for a natural disaster someone else said is a good idea.

59 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Not a single NES/SNES one left Japan, and considering the first has the silent protag's mom eaten by a demon in the first two hours, and within the next 3-5 US Ambassador Thorman on behalf of God nukes Japan to cleanse it, I think I can understand why. 

Yeah, that definitly wouldn't have flown in the West in the 90s. 

9 hours ago, Falcom Knight said:

Happy Birthday, Lysithea!

Praise the best character in Three Houses and the best mage girl in Fire Emblem!

Also the one with one of the best S-supports and Byleth endings in the game and the best S-support art, in my humble opinion.
latest?cb=20190724150401
Makes me go "aww" every time.

Happy Birthday, Lysithea!
__lysithea_von_ordelia_fire_emblem_three

12 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

When I saw Lysithea for the first time and heard her voice, my first thought was of this girl right here:

Torri-331548-full.jpeg

---

Also, happy birthday to my third favorite FE Warriors character (Tiki, that is)!

Skunk!
(I don't know who this is, I just like split hair.)

12 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

So... yesterday, it snowed like crazy and now it's all gone. I swear this weather is weird...

It should here too, but didn't thankfully.

Winter always have been come late in the past years... if ever.

Literally in every weekend a storm is going to happen, so annoying!

I am literally stuck in my flat.

Edited by Falcom Knight