• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Breezy Kanzaki

• Ein

• Caster

Top Posters In This Topic

Truly a man of culture...

By the way, that's not just the BGM. He truly has his ship playing out the music out loud.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

2 hours ago, Caster said:

Well, online classes suck. 
Feel like I'm not learning anything.
Ugh.

I get the vibe.

Star Ocean R is on sale for $16. Hmmmmm. I do like me some sci-fi JRPGs. 

Only thing i'm cautious about is that it seems the combat is reminescent of Tales. Specifically the 2D kind. At least that's what it looks like. And y'all know that the gameplay is the main thing stopping me from enjoying most Tales games.

But still, $16 isn't too much. And the game is $20 normally. Hmmmm.

Edited by Armagon

Star Ocean R? What does the R stands for here?

Hm, really? Their gameplay was more common with early 3D ones, like Symphonia's. Even the first Star Ocean was like that, not like 2D's Tales.

3 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Star Ocean R? What does the R stands for here?

Hm, really? Their gameplay was more common with early 3D ones, like Symphonia's. Even the first Star Ocean was like that, not like 2D's Tales.

Presumably "Remake" or something like that.

Now that I think about it, how many dedicated sci-fi JRPGs, with a visual lean towards the "spacey" subgenre, are there? Besides Xeno-, Star Ocean has been pretty poor/dead for a long time, and the same applies to Phantasy Star. I'd like more, given how omnipresent high fantasy and mixed-medieval fantasy & sci-fi (IRL modern-ish or more fantastical) games are. Oh, and Super Robot Wars in the SRPG world, but mechaaaaaaaaaaaaa, while fine, is too in one's face- sci-fi isn't just about mecha it's just the most important part you say?.

In particular, I'd want Atlus at the moment, when it finally makes this EO spiritual successor it teased once, to go full sci-fi with a sequel for it, I wanna see what classes they come up with. And how sci-fi could influence the designs of the stratum.

Fire Emblem on Mars is absolutely another idea I'd enjoy. I would be fascinating to see if fewer melee weapons (by no means guaranteed in a sci-fi game) and more range as result shifted FE combat in a fun/new way. It'd mean revamping the visuals and names of all the old classes that'd survive the shift too.

But, I'd like another well-alive ordinary JRPG game/series too. At the moment, maybe the place of spacey sci-fi in gaming is other genres, like pure adventure/exploration? I don't really know.

It's totally the most important part.

Zone of the Enders - Fist of Mars is pretty much SRPG on Mars. Though it's more SRW than FE when it comes down to it. Pft, hahaha...

I suppose it's just the dominance of the fantasy genre in RPG's. It's where they come from and began, after all. Though some do incorporate aspects of other genres. Like, a game like FFVIII has lots of sci-fi elements, specially when reaching the Esthar portion of the game.

7 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Now that I think about it, how many dedicated sci-fi JRPGs, with a visual lean towards the "spacey" subgenre, are there? 

Besides what you mentioned, does 7th Dragon count? At least from i got from Code VFD, it might count. The Dragons are said to be extraterrestrial. And VFD also has a more science-y version of time travel.

Besides that, i can't think of too many since a lot of sci-fi JRPGs are interwoven with fantasy. Even Xeno. Xenogears and especially Xenosaga are pure sci-fi but then the Xenoblade games are more "sci-fi fantasy" (X is the exception, that one is also pure sci-fi).

5 hours ago, Caster said:

I really need to be face to face to learn.
Otherwise it makes like no sense to me.

Same but mainly just with maths and then i forget it anyway after all is said in done.

But for basically any other subject that doesn't require hands-on learning, i'm fine with online classes.

Edited by Armagon

I would really like them to intertwine Xenosaga and Xenoblade stories somehow. Besides the references to the Zohar, I think there could be alot of neat things you could do with that. Even if it would be something little, I would be happy.

Edited by lightcosmo

18 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

You too, with your current and future works.

Thank you!

---

I was in a bit of an Atelier mood today and...qHHUoIA.jpg

This is probably what the writers said while they pitched the premise for Atelier Sophie to the higher-ups.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Besides what you mentioned, does 7th Dragon count? At least from i got from Code VFD, it might count. The Dragons are said to be extraterrestrial. And VFD also has a more science-y version of time travel.

And 2020 and 2020-II both have their final dungeon and battle be in space after you've ascended the Tokyo Sky Tower. It's there where Nyala/Fomalhaut were watching everything unfold, and telepathically tell you about themselves and call you cattle coming to be eaten as you approach.

I do enjoy 2020/II & VFD for the aesthetic difference overall. Sure, the Mage class and Fortuner classes in VFD are pure fantasy, but I felt the Destroyer and especially the Rune Knight and Atlantis from whence it came had enough of a science veneer (laser swords) to fit into a modern and loosely sci-fi setting.

I haven't gotten to emulating the original 7th Dragon for DS yet, I question how it's QoL might be, but I believe its more pure fantasy.

Done with Zero's prologue.

Guess it will become quite fun although I have to admit I'm not quite in the mood for investigations right now.

If it was a dungeon crawler like Sky 3rd, I would be more motivated to play.

I really need to patch Azure for PSP since playing on my laptop is supposed to be a short enjoyment.

After 90 minutes I have to recharge the battery which is nasty.

That's a rather hefty price, holy crap!

---

@Armagon, @Falcom Knight
If you ever play Atelier Sophie again and find yourselves in the Café, you should definitely interact with the piano that's standing in the upper right corner. If you do, Sophie can take up piano lessons for one, but more importantly, if you go back there at night, you will find this lady sitting at the piano like so:
I5fPAtV.jpg

If you talk to her, you can listen to a rather awesome song as long as you're inside the Café.
Just thought I'd tell you about this since I missed it on my first playthrough.

So, apparently, Compile Heart will announce the final game in a ''popular numbered'' series. Could very much be Neptunia.

I am fine with this however if they can top off Megadimension and end the series on a high note. Better then becoming something it isn't anymore.

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

So, apparently, Compile Heart will announce the final game in a ''popular numbered'' series. Could very much be Neptunia.

I am fine with this however if they can top off Megadimension and end the series on a high note. Better then becoming something it isn't anymore.

Yup, definitely. Better to end on a high note than live on to become a shadow of what you once were.
If it is Neptunia, I'm very much looking forward to the announcement.

Just now, Shrimperor said:

should be the 28th. so soon!

Or even earlier if it get's leaked like dengeki stuff usually does 

Nice!
If it really will be the finale of Neptunia, I wonder how they're planning to end it. Ngl, I'm feeling a little hype right now.

And if it isn't Neptunia, I wonder what other "popular numbered" series they could be referring to and if that would be something to check out.

Just finished watching Kong Kong 2005. It was pretty good. Not as good as Skull Island personally but i still enjoyed it. That said, 2005 didn't need to be three hours long. You could've trimmed it down and not lose anything.

Oh yeah. Jack Black is in King Kong 2005 as a main character. Caught me off guard.

1 hour ago, DragonFlames said:

If you ever play Atelier Sophie again and find yourselves in the Café, you should definitely interact with the piano that's standing in the upper right corner. If you do, Sophie can take up piano lessons for one, but more importantly, if you go back there at night, you will find this lady sitting at the piano like so:
I5fPAtV.jpg

If you talk to her, you can listen to a rather awesome song as long as you're inside the Café.
Just thought I'd tell you about this since I missed it on my first playthrough.

Nice. I'll check it out next time i hop on the game.

32 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Ending the Neptunia series would be........an interesting twist. Considering Neptunia is the face of Compile Heart, i find it odd that they'd even consider ending it (unless there's financial reasons). 

Edited by Armagon

It has come to my attention that people are acting suspicious of my puppet, as if they know that something is wrong, despite every precaution I have taken to avoid being detected.

Therefore, I realise I have no choice but to leave my puppet alone and lay low for a while.

WeAreNewcastle will be able to speak to you themselves after this post has been submitted.