The Last To Post Wins!

Darros

2 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

So basically, Zeke is Reyn but even more hyper. Got it. XD

And Reyn is the musclehead bro character who is there to back the wimpier childhood friend Shulk, not uncommon RPG faire. Reyn served in gameplay as "how aggro works and how you can deal with it for beginners"- he taunts the enemies into hurting him, while Shulk does the damage via positional stabs and slashes. Shulk also does the Breaking and Reyn the Toppling afterwards, to introduce that mechanic.

46 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I should likely be in awe at the flashy colors and blond hair, but my more imminent question is: why the heck is he standing back to back with Brighid and does Morag know?
I know it's probably more a coincidence than anything, but still.

Morag, offscreen, is leaping over Pandoria with a near-minimum of space between between the former's crouch and the latter's headspace. Nobody has time no time to worry about touching backsides or other body parts, Land of Challenge simulator Malos and Akhos are no less threatening than the real deal.

Nia, Rex, Tora and their Blades are eating popcorn in an unseen part of the stoney stands. They're taking some pleasure in seeing how the Grand Inquisitor and Zekenator struggle against the Torna duo after they misspoke and made some unserious remarks of "how bad it could it have been in Uraya?", which touched a nerve.

I liked the Xenogears reference I'll say for sure, but the Bart colors didn't look so good on Zeke, I'm not sure I'd ever have him wear it. The Sigurd recolor isn't so ketchup and mustard, so it's definitely the better one to me.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

• Replies 180k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Breezy Kanzaki

• Ein

• Caster

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

CURSES!
get it?

FE3H was IS copying Falcom. Then Falcom pulls a reverse uno card and copies a certain aspect of FE.

Sadely, it's the worst one, and the one i hate the most in the series

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Morag, offscreen, is leaping over Pandoria with a near-minimum of space between between the former's crouch and the latter's headspace. Nobody has time no time to worry about touching backsides or other body parts, Land of Challenge simulator Malos and Akhos are no less threatening than the real deal.

Nia, Rex, Tora and their Blades are eating popcorn in an unseen part of the stoney stands. They're taking some pleasure in seeing how the Grand Inquisitor and Zekenator struggle against the Torna duo after they misspoke and made some unserious remarks of "how bad it could it have been in Uraya?", which touched a nerve.

This...
This is art.

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

FE3H was IS copying Falcom. Then Falcom pulls a reverse uno card and copies a certain aspect of FE.

Sadely, it's the worst one, and the one i hate the most in the series

Since they talked about a "Curse of Erebonia" (hence my CURSES! """"""joke"""""" earlier), I'm gonna guess the following: it was the Curse's fault all this time and the many plotholes and inconsistencies in how characters (particularly villains) act were all due to that "Curse". And the "Curse" was actually manipulating everything this whole time.

Because the Erebonia arc got too complicated for Falcom to resolve in any other way without resorting to some serious asspulls that would severely take people out of the story if the whole "Curse" thing didn't take care of that already.
At some point, someone in the writing staff should have said "Stop. This is too much."

Edited by DragonFlames

Hello Boys GIF - IndependenceDay RandyQuaid HelloBoys - Discover ...

*Who was that Acacia Sgt guy again?*

I'd say, I made significant progress on DQIV. Started the Pioneer Town sidequest, beat Balzack... well, Baalzack at Zamoksva, got the Karstaway Stone from Dunplundrin, and got the Zenithian Helm from Canalot.

I'd say, Baalzack was easier than the Marquis... if only because the worst it had was Crackle. Not that it wasn't an annoyance either way. Perhaps if I had obtained Magic Vestments before and not after... ah well. I guess now it's gonna be the hunting of the Zenithian equipment. Next stop, back to Bonnie Burland for the Zenithian Shield... though that will be for another time.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

19 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:
Spoiler

Since they talked about a "Curse of Erebonia" (hence my CURSES! """"""joke"""""" earlier), I'm gonna guess the following: it was the Curse's fault all this time and the many plotholes and inconsistencies in how characters (particularly villains) act were all due to that "Curse". And the "Curse" was actually manipulating everything this whole time.

Because the Erebonia arc got too complicated for Falcom to resolve in any other way without resorting to some serious asspulls that would severely take people out of the story if the whole "Curse" thing didn't take care of that already.
At some point, someone in the writing staff should have said "Stop. This is too much."

I will spoiler the confirmation/denial

Spoiler

sadly, you are right.
Osbro, the one they've been building up for 9 games... is a good guy all along lul. This shitty curse even affects the back story of Trails in the Sky. It affects the whole series. It's no longer about people's choices or ideals. It was a curse all along.

Honestly, they didn't even need to resort to asspulls to resolve the story. They just needed to kill people off. Permanently. But everyone comes back to life for some reason <.<

7 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Shulk also does the Breaking and Reyn the Toppling afterwards, to introduce that mechanic.

And then it all comes back full circle once Shulk gets Shaker Edge for Daze infliction.

Though of course, by then, you have other characters who can inflict Break/Topple/Daze but it's a nice little arc in my eyes.

7 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I liked the Xenogears reference I'll say for sure, but the Bart colors didn't look so good on Zeke, I'm not sure I'd ever have him wear it. The Sigurd recolor isn't so ketchup and mustard, so it's definitely the better one to me.

Oh yeah, there's a little bit too much color going on and i don't really think it fits Zeke like that. Appreciate the reference but that's it.

5 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Reveal hidden contents

sadly, you are right.
Osbro, the one they've been building up for 9 games... is a good guy all along lul. This shitty curse even affects the back story of Trails in the Sky. It affects the whole series. It's no longer about people's choices or ideals. It was a curse all along.

Honestly, they didn't even need to resort to asspulls to resolve the story. They just needed to kill people off. Permanently. But everyone comes back to life for some reason <.<

Correction:

Spoiler

The curse doesn't affect the whole series, it was just certain specific aspects of Erebonia, so it's not even the entire arc. And the only times Sky and Crossbell were affected by the curse was when Erebonia directly affected them but other than that, Sky and Crossbell happen independently outside of this curse. And whatever arcs we get after won't be affected by the curse either. 

Though it is messy, i wouldn't call it an asspull because it has been hinted at throughout the entire arc. It's not like Falcom just pulled the rug from under your feet was like "haha gottem".

Ok since the "watcha playing thread" is basically dead, i have decided to post my TMS review here instead. It'll be like this from now on.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions was one the two Wii U games i wanted a Switch port of, the other obviously being Xenoblade Chronicles X. I didn't expect TMS to be the one getting the port before X but that was a welcome surprise. It definetly felt like an underrated gem that nobody gave credit to because "lol idols" and i'll admit, i'm not really a fan of idols. I purchased TMS Encore a few days after released and spent the next three months playing it. 

I know it's not the Fire Emblem x SMT crossover that everyone expected but let me start off by saying that the character designs in this game are pretty dope. The "SMT'ified" versions of Fire Emblem characters are pretty cool (especially some of the promotions) but what i really liked the most was the Carnage Forms of each character. They manage to maintain that Fire Emblem look while at the same time managing to have a unique feel not found in any other Fire Emblem game. The characters themselves are good enough (not you Barry). I wouldn't call them amazing but they serve their purpose and i liked the cast overall. The side stories definitely help flesh out the characters more since the story kinda isn't good at doing that. In fact, i'd say that just like Xenoblade X, this is a game where the side stories are better than the main story. On the subject of the characters, Kiria is best girl, Touma is best boy. As for the actual Fire Emblem characters themselves, the Mirages that are allied with the party stay in character to their original counterparts but i have to give extra props to Tharja for actually not being a bad character. Crazy how Tharja is a better character in TMS than in Awakening.

The gameplay was actually pretty good. It's simple yet rewarding and those Session attacks can get addicting. I will say that it does feel like TMS gets easier as you progress. Once you start unlocking the Open Session passives for everyone, you'll have an overall easier time dealing with enemies than in the early game, where you could only do two Session attacks. I also appreicate the very generous amounts of EP the characters have, since you're almost never going to use the normal attack. Ad-lib and Duo attacks were pretty cool to see and this does tie back into the idol influence that i mentioned earlier. While i don't like the idol genre, the reason this game worked for me is because it actually did something unique with the idol genre, not to mention there were other elements of the entertainment industry. Most things in the idol genre are just reskins of Love Live.

• Also, i really like the theming of everything in this game. The party members were refered to as "cast members", locations were "scenes" and the characters were "artists". I also think it's pretty cool that the "magic circle" thing that shows up whenever a character uses magic is actually just their signature. It's pretty cool.

My main issues with the game is that there are times when the combat does feel a tad bit too repetitive. Dark and Light skills are also pretty useless since they can't Session into anything and Almighty is almost as useless except it has one use in breaking through Tetra/Makara skills. Some dungeons have puzzle elements but they weren't doing that well. The puzzles themselves weren't hard but a lot of the times, it was just impossible to see what it is you're actually trying to solve, so it results in undeeded trial and error. Also, the inability to swap out Itsuki from the party (i know you can in NG+) is a problem since it kinda limits you at times. In battle, characters can swap out at any time during their turn for no penalty (and it can be done as many times as needed) except Itsuki. He must always be there, even when it isn't beneficial at all.

The music is.....pretty forgettable actually, which is strange to say in a Modern FE world and in a game about music, because every Fire Emblem game since Awakening has had solid OSTs (before Awakening, most Fire Emblem games had like five memorable songs at most). The vocal songs themselves are pretty good but other than that, the soundtrack is just there. Good in the moment but nothing to really write home about. 

Overall, the game isn't amazing but it's a solid addition to the Switch's library. It gets the Armagon seal of approval. I do recommend this game.

Edited by Armagon

40 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Ok since the "watcha playing thread" is basically dead, i have decided to post my TMS review here instead. It'll be like this from now on.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions was one the two Wii U games i wanted a Switch port of, the other obviously being Xenoblade Chronicles X. I didn't expect TMS to be the one getting the port before X but that was a welcome surprise. It definetly felt like an underrated gem that nobody gave credit to because "lol idols" and i'll admit, i'm not really a fan of idols. I purchased TMS Encore a few days after released and spent the next three months playing it. 

I know it's not the Fire Emblem x SMT crossover that everyone expected but let me start off by saying that the character designs in this game are pretty dope. The "SMT'ified" versions of Fire Emblem characters are pretty cool (especially some of the promotions) but what i really liked the most was the Carnage Forms of each character. They manage to maintain that Fire Emblem look while at the same time managing to have a unique feel not found in any other Fire Emblem game. The characters themselves are good enough (not you Barry). I wouldn't call them amazing but they serve their purpose and i liked the cast overall. The side stories definitely help flesh out the characters more since the story kinda isn't good at doing that. In fact, i'd say that just like Xenoblade X, this is a game where the side stories are better than the main story. On the subject of the characters, Kiria is best girl, Touma is best boy. As for the actual Fire Emblem characters themselves, the Mirages that are allied with the party stay in character to their original counterparts but i have to give extra props to Tharja for actually not being a bad character. Crazy how Tharja is a better character in TMS than in Awakening.

The gameplay was actually pretty good. It's simple yet rewarding and those Session attacks can get addicting. I will say that it does feel like TMS gets easier as you progress. Once you start unlocking the Open Session passives for everyone, you'll have an overall easier time dealing with enemies than in the early game, where you could only do two Session attacks. I also appreicate the very generous amounts of EP the characters have, since you're almost never going to use the normal attack. Ad-lib and Duo attacks were pretty cool to see and this does tie back into the idol influence that i mentioned earlier. While i don't like the idol genre, the reason this game worked for me is because it actually did something unique with the idol genre, not to mention there were other elements of the entertainment industry. Most things in the idol genre are just reskins of Love Live.

• Also, i really like the theming of everything in this game. The party members were refered to as "cast members", locations were "scenes" and the characters were "artists". I also think it's pretty cool that the "magic circle" thing that shows up whenever a character uses magic is actually just their signature. It's pretty cool.

My main issues with the game is that there are times when the combat does feel a tad bit too repetitive. Dark and Light skills are also pretty useless since they can't Session into anything and Almighty is almost as useless except it has one use in breaking through Tetra/Makara skills. Some dungeons have puzzle elements but they weren't doing that well. The puzzles themselves weren't hard but a lot of the times, it was just impossible to see what it is you're actually trying to solve, so it results in undeeded trial and error. Also, the inability to swap out Itsuki from the party (i know you can in NG+) is a problem since it kinda limits you at times. In battle, characters can swap out at any time during their turn for no penalty (and it can be done as many times as needed) except Itsuki. He must always be there, even when it isn't beneficial at all.

The music is.....pretty forgettable actually, which is strange to say in a Modern FE world, because every Fire Emblem game since Awakening has had solid OSTs (before Awakening, most Fire Emblem games had like five memorable songs at most). The vocal songs themselves are pretty good but other than, the soundtrack is just there. Good in the moment but nothing to really write home about. 

Overall, the game isn't amazing but it's a solid addition to the Switch's library. It gets the Armagon seal of approval. I do recommend this game.

Yeah, this thread is definitely easier for casual (and in-depth) discussion on games.
Sounds like you liked the game despite all of its flaws. Any chance you wanna try out a Persona or SMT game after this one should any get released on the Switch?
Seriously, Atlus, where's the Persona 5 Switch port?

10 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Reveal hidden contents

sadly, you are right.

Big OOF.

---

I learned three neat things about Mary Skelter today.

1. The Blood Skelter Mode (that has a Blood Maiden go completely bonkers until she dies) isn't just a looming thread within the story, it's an actual gameplay mechanic. As your team takes damage in battle, they simultaneously accumulate "Corruption", which turns the Massacre gauge an increasingly darker shade of pink. If the Massacre gauge fills completely (through hitting enemy weak points or killing them) and the level of Corruption is at its highest, it's Blood Skelter time. What does it do? Well, the Blood Maiden in question will undergo a horrific transformation, get a massive stat boost aaaand... randomly attack both enemies and allies alike (i.e. you can say goodbye to life).
And you wanna know the best part? The amount of Corruption carries over from battle to battle. Oof.

There is hope, however, as Jack has finally another use other than get beaten up in place of the girls: his blood has the special property to cleanse Corruption from the Blood Maidens, and he was given a gun that is connected to his blood system known as the Mary Gun, so he can shoot his own blood on one of his fellow party members should they be close to going Blood Skelter. Funny part and disadvantage: You only have a limited amount of blood available and Jack will faint if you use it all, so it is yet another way to get him knocked out (poor guy can't catch a break, can he?). Though in order to avoid frustration, you can take one of Jack's turns during battle to refill his blood amount.

Huh, so the Mary Gun can suppress Blood Skelter Mode. Now we know how the game got its name.

2. My active party has four people now (technically five, if we include Jack). In addition to Alice and Red Riding Hood, Snow White and Sleeping Beauty have joined the fray.
Snow White's initial class is Scientist and her starting weapon is a bomb. In dungeons, she can blow up walls, Bomberman-style. Also, she's scared of mirrors.
Sleeping Beauty is an Archer and her starting weapon is thus the bow. In dungeons, you can use her arrows to shoot at distant objects. True to her fairy tale, she is constantly sleepy, which also just happens to be her nickname. Yes, her nickname is "Sleepy".
EzDlxn6.jpg

Alice

ophxuiy.jpg

Red Riding Hood

IQQCQ02.jpg

Snow White

cdO0d7U.jpg

Sleepy

uvHDYUb.jpg

Speaking of weapons, Red Riding Hood starts with a giant pair of scissors as her initial one, which she can use to cut down fences that are dotted around the dungeons.
Meanwhile, Alice gets a bog-standard sword, and her special skill is that she can place save and escape points anywhere you want them.

And a note on Jack's name: I realized he likely represents the main character of Jack and the Beanstalk.
3. I briefly touched upon the existence of a Job System in this game. Similar to Bravely Default, you can assign a number of Jobs to your characters, but aside from two who are shared across all characters, they are all unique to that character. Alice' Job selection focuses on close combat, both offensively and defensively, for instance. But a very neat part about this is that the different Jobs change the Blood Maidens' outfits not only in their menu portrait, but also in their portraits during story scenes, which I find pretty cool.

Edited by DragonFlames

17 minutes ago, Caster said:

@DragonFlames What kind of games are you into?
Do you read VNs?
Just curious. You seem to like a lot of weeb similar stuff to me, at least, so.

I play mostly JRPGs. And by mostly, I mean almost exclusively.
I do play other games sometimes, as well (like Warriors games, Okami, and Shadow of the Colossus), but JRPGs are my main genre, so to speak. I know it's not exactly a clear answer as I don't have much preference for a specific kind of JRPG. Just give me a good story with good characters and fun gameplay and I'm happy.

As far as VNs go, I haven't delved too far into them to know too much about them. I do know that some anime I've seen have been adapted from VNs (like Fate/Stay Night), however.

Edited by DragonFlames

12 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Any chance you wanna try out a Persona or SMT game after this one should any get released on the Switch?
Seriously, Atlus, where's the Persona 5 Switch port?

I'm not sure about SMT. From what i've seen of SMT, it feels a bit too dark in tone for my liking. I'm fine with dark tones but there's a limit and it feels like SMT exceeds that limit.

As for Persona though, i'm totally onboard on playing them......if they ever show up on Switch. I know Sony said that Persona exclusiveity was important for them but i'm pretty sure that's just PR talk and there's no actual contract that states that mainline Persona must go on PlayStation and nothing else (Persona 5 Royal could've easily been on Switch but nah, it's PS4 exclusive, which is odd considering Persona 5 was already on PS4).

I guess i could emulate Persona 3 though (with the mod that lets me control my party members).

Of course, i had an interest in Persona before i played TMS, TMS just increased that interest.

33 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Red Riding Hood

Wait hold on, her class is "Liberd"? What is Liberd? I get the other classes. Fighter? You're fightin'. Scientist? Smart. Archer? Shooting things. What is Liberd? I even looked it up and i got nothing except Scrabble results.

EUnhd4mUcAEclRF?format=jpg&name=large

Context: The Last of Us 2 originally shared the May 29th release date with XenoblaDE but coronavirus concerns caused the former to be delayed again. 

So as funny haha as the meme above is, i won't deny that there is a possibilty that XenoblaDE might also get delayed for the same reason.

But for now, this means that XenoblaDE has no competition. Good.

Edited by Armagon

14 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I guess i could emulate Persona 3 though (with the mod that lets me control my party members).

I haven't played Persona 3 myself, but if you have the opportunity to do so, go right ahead, I'd say!

17 minutes ago, Armagon said:

As for Persona though, i'm totally onboard on playing them......if they ever show up on Switch. I know Sony said that Persona exclusiveity was important for them but i'm pretty sure that's just PR talk and there's no actual contract that states that mainline Persona must go on PlayStation and nothing else (Persona 5 Royal could've easily been on Switch but nah, it's PS4 exclusive, which is odd considering Persona 5 was already on PS4).

Not porting Royal to the Switch, especially after Joker got into Smash Ultimate, was a dumb move on Atlus' part that I guess was done because of contracts and the like.

17 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I'm not sure about SMT. From what i've seen of SMT, it feels a bit too dark in tone for my liking. I'm fine with dark tones but there's a limit and it feels like SMT exceeds that limit.

As someone who has only played SMTIV, Apocalypse and Strange Journey Redux (don't play this one!), I can definitely attest to the dark tone of those games at the very least.
Part of that is how realistic the games portray the consequences of the question "What would happen if every myth and religion was true/real and all the creatures and people from said myths and religion suddenly decided to appear on Earth?"

16 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Wait hold on, her class is "Liberd"? What is Liberd? I get the other classes. Fighter? You're fightin'. Scientist? Smart. Archer? Shooting things. What is Liberd? I even looked it up and i got nothing except Scrabble results.

It's actually supposed to be "Libero", I think. The fond is a bit weird there.
As for what kind of class it is, well... I'm not too sure myself what it is. It seems to be some sort of Jack-of-all-Trades, Master of None kind of class and Red's alternate Jobs suggest as much, too.

5 hours ago, Armagon said:

Correction

Spoiler

It affects Hamel, which is directly tied to Sky. It also affects the action of Osbro, which they've been building up the whole series.

The problem isn't that it is an asspull, but that it removes all the politics, human actions and responsibilities and shoves it all on the curse. No one can be bad. Everyone is good. Everyone will live anyway. I expect better from Falcom.

The supernatural was always a part of the series, but there was always a balance between it and Politics and realism. CS arc shoves all of the politics and realism away in favour of the supernatural, which is also my least fav. part of the series (along with the hafem stuff, which crossbell is guilty of as well).

Edited by Shrimperor

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

On the subject of the characters, Kiria is best girl, Touma Yashiro is best boy.

Fixed it for ya.

Enjoyed the game as well, even if it is something that I'm averse to, thematically.

1 hour ago, DragonFlames said:

I play mostly JRPGs. And by mostly, I mean almost exclusively.
I do play other games sometimes, as well (like Warriors games, Okami, and Shadow of the Colossus), but JRPGs are my main genre, so to speak. I know it's not exactly a clear answer as I don't have much preference for a specific kind of JRPG. Just give me a good story with good characters and fun gameplay and I'm happy.

As far as VNs go, I haven't delved too far into them to know too much about them. I do know that some anime I've seen have been adapted from VNs (like Fate/Stay Night), however.

I see, I see.
Was just curious on the VN part, cuz I had suggestions, but didn't want to offer them unless you were okay with them.
I would recommend Fate, obviously. But another series I love dearly is Danganronpa, I think if you like stories with characters I think you would like the series (if you can get through with no spoilers, as it's a very spoiler heavy VN, it does have gameplay for some parts, but yea. It gets compared to Ace Attorney a lot, but I think it's only a base level comparison, since Danganronpa plays and delves in different areas that Ace Attorney.
But yea, there are my recommendations, I suppose.

Just now, Caster said:

I see, I see.
Was just curious on the VN part, cuz I had suggestions, but didn't want to offer them unless you were okay with them.
I would recommend Fate, obviously. But another series I love dearly is Danganronpa, I think if you like stories with characters I think you would like the series (if you can get through with no spoilers, as it's a very spoiler heavy VN, it does have gameplay for some parts, but yea. It gets compared to Ace Attorney a lot, but I think it's only a base level comparison, since Danganronpa plays and delves in different areas that Ace Attorney.
But yea, there are my recommendations, I suppose.

I'm usually always open to try out new stuff.
Danganronpa is one series I do have a slight interest in, but I haven't yet been able to act on that interest.

6 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I'm usually always open to try out new stuff.
Danganronpa is one series I do have a slight interest in, but I haven't yet been able to act on that interest.

I see, I see, any reason, or?
I could tell you when they go on sale on steam or something, if you use steam for playing games nowadays.