The Last To Post Wins!

Darros

7 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

I forgot to respond to your notes about Devil Survivor and that was rude of me. Apologies.
My 3DS is in fact still working like a charm and I'm still playing it regularly due to so many games I love being on there. Thus, I think I'll give Devil Survivor a go once I get the chance.

If you needed any advice, I'd be willing to offer it. Not that I remember everything about either game, but I should remember enough to be somewhat helpful.

And, I'll throw this your way, the original DS version's opening- which got replaced with an entirely new one in the enhanced 3DS port.:

The new opening is good, but the replacement of "Reset" with "Soul Survive" as the opening song was a touch questionable, since Reset is actually used sans lyrics ingame.

Darned for you it doesn't look like the digital version had a permanent 1/2 off price cut in Europe as it did in the US. DS2 Record Breaker might be on sale for Europe right now though. Don't feel pressured to splurge spend though (and of course, if you don't like the games at all it turns out thats fine too).

7 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

And to further annoy y'all with Mary Skelter, I discovered that you can "level down" by certain amounts in a process called "Blood Devolution". Similarly to Etrian Odyssey's Rest/Retire features, this will reset your allocated skill points so you can redistribute them as well as grant you a bonus to your stats. Differently from Etrian Odyssey, however, you can choose how many levels you want to go down. The lowest amount is 15, the highest is 80. So if you use Blood Devolution at, say, level 19, you go back down to level 4 (because obviously you can't go down into the negatives). Another difference is that you can't use this any time you wish. To do it, you need an item called Devolution Rights, of which you get one for each Blood Maiden every 10 or so levels.

So a blend of Rest and Retire in one. The -15 levels hit sounds excessive, though the first two DS Etrians had a -10 levels cost to Rest. Although, someone might argue the -2 levels of modern Rest is too small a cost. I would hope EXP gain is really really rapid at a lower level, otherwise thats a ton of grinding you'd have to do to catch back up.

• Replies 179.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Breezy Kanzaki

• Ein

• Caster

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Armagon said:

@DragonFlames so Nights of Azure 2 is $30 on the eShop right now. Can i just play this one without the first one or no and that's important because the first Nights of Azure literally isn't on Switch. It's just not there (i'll also need to look into if 2 actually runs well on Switch because iirc, this was one of Gust's first Switch ports and if Lydie & Sulle is anything to go by, well....)

You can, actually. Nights of Azure 2 is a sequel to the original, but it doesn't really expect you to have played the first one. Think of it like Atelier Lulua to the other Arland games.
The only thing playing Nights of Azure 2 first will do is spoil the True Ending of the first game, and you probably won't feel as attached to certain characters as someone who did play the prequel first. Everything else the game will catch you up on regarding lore and backstory, both of which aren't too complicated anyhow.

Whether it runs well on the Switch, I cannot say. I haven't seen any Switch gameplay of it yet.
EDIT: Found it. Here you go (it's the first hour of the game):

If you want my opinion, it looks good. In comparison to the PS4 version, I'd even say they're about equal in terms of graphics and framerate.

Sadly. the first Nights of Azure did not get a Switch port. In that regard, the NoA games and Atelier's Mysterious trilogy share the same sad fate. It should be available on PC, though.

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

If you needed any advice, I'd be willing to offer it. Not that I remember everything about either game, but I should remember enough to be somewhat helpful.

I'll take you up on that offer when I get the games then. Thank you!

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

So a blend of Rest and Retire in one. The -15 levels hit sounds excessive, though the first two DS Etrians had a -10 levels cost to Rest. Although, someone might argue the -2 levels of modern Rest is too small a cost. I would hope EXP gain is really really rapid at a lower level, otherwise thats a ton of grinding you'd have to do to catch back up.

Yeah, that's just it. Like EO, the EXP you get from battles is split evenly across your party. And if you have a full party, going into low-level areas will net you about 6 EXP per fight, which is... not great. Though you could go into higher level areas, that's taking a lot of risk, since your equipment can only do so much for you in terms of stat boosts.

Edited by DragonFlames

33 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

She needs to work on her confidence, I swear.

Yup

19 minutes ago, Armagon said:

@DragonFlames

I hope you enjoy it more than i do. Atelier Ayesha is cute but i found it to be the weakest Dusk game and just one of the weakest entries in the series overall imo.

I started with Ayesha to come to Shallie.

This brings up my question, if the order matters or I could start directly with Shallie?

I'm wondering too why Nights of Azure 2 but not 1 exists for Switch.

Had to buy 1 for PS4.

Devil Survivor had a massive bug which made me want to sell it.

Demons couldn't be summoned on the map once one has been defeated.

Whenever I clicked on summon, the game crashed.

Regardless the sequel is much MUCH better.

Edited by Reisalin Stout

2 minutes ago, Reisalin Stout said:

I'm wondering too why Nights of Azure 2 but not 1 exists for Switch.

I can think of two answers to that question. The game either didn't sell well enough to warrant a port or Nights of Azure 1 came out before the Switch was a thing and it wasn't ported because of that. Perhaps it was a combination of the two.

And now that I'm talking about it, I suddenly feel like playing it again... Gosh darn it.

47 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

EDIT: Found it. Here you go (it's the first hour of the game):

If you want my opinion, it looks good. In comparison to the PS4 version, I'd even say they're about equal in terms of graphics and framerate.

OH it's Musou combat. I thought it was just normal action RPG like Ys or Tales (there are three screenshots on the eShop page and none of them gave the impression that it was Musou). Uh, i'll have to think about this. I don't dislike Musou combat but it's usually not my thing and i would usually only play it if an IP i'm familiar with does it, like Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem Warriors (and even then, i haven't bought either, though i have played like one hour of the former on Wii U).

I have until the 19th of April to decide if i want to jump on this sale or not. I'll think about it.

43 minutes ago, Reisalin Stout said:

This brings up my question, if the order matters or I could start directly with Shallie?

The order doesn't really matter, but it never has.

Thing is, Ayesha has probably the worst alchemy system out of any Atelier game i've played on account of it's still the only one where i don't actually understand how it works. The game also just assumes you can see the future, so that's another problem.

34 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Nights of Azure 1 came out before the Switch was a thing and it wasn't ported because of that.

Probably this. Nights of Azure 2 was one of the Switch's earlier 3rd party games, so the first game was around before then.

Of course, they could port the first game to Switch, just like how Ys 8 got ported to Switch like, three years after it's release (Ys was released in 2016, the Switch came out in 2017 and the Ys 8 port was 2018). So why they haven't yet must be for a different reason.

As for the first two Mysterious titles, when Mysterious DX happens, i garuantee it'll be on Switch. It's a little bit too early for that though, especially with Lydie & Sulle already being on Switch.

Edited by Armagon

12 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I have until the 15th of April to decide if i want to jump on this sale or not. I'll think about it.

Yup, definitely do so, especially if the combat system isn't for you. It's not as extreme as the usual you vs. 1,000 style other musou games have, the boss fights in particular are more strategic (as in, you actually need to block and dodge at the right times), and while I do think it's slightly better than "regular" musou combat, I can't deny that the similarities are still there.
When I first played the original Nights of Azure, my first thought was "Hey, this plays sort of like a Warriors game."

6 minutes ago, Reisalin Stout said:

Alright, will start with Shallie then since.

Enjoy!

Edited by DragonFlames

... And now I'm right back in my "internally gushing about Nights of Azure and Nights of Azure 2" state. *sigh* what did these games do to me?
Someone use the Mary Gun on me before I completely lose it.

Anyway...

Nights of Azure has the second best video game protagonist, Arnice, surpassed only by Neptune.
Nights of Azure has one of the best stories in a video game.
Nights of Azure 2 has the single best antagonist.
Nights of Azure 2 has the best way to introduce said antagonist (just watch the video I posted earlier between the 21 and 22 minute mark).
"Funny" note: Nights of Azure 2 is the first and so far only game I've played where the antagonist is my favorite character.
Both games combined have one of the most beautiful soundtracks I have ever had the joy to listen to.
Lucia is the best song ever put in a video game and one of the best final battle themes. I will die on that hill if need be.

1 hour ago, Reisalin Stout said:

Didn't you start a LP of it!?

I did, didn't I?
And I promise I'll continue it. Only thing I need is to play until I reach the part I left off at last time and NOT forget about making screenshots again like an idiot.

Edited by DragonFlames
made a correction

29 minutes ago, Reisalin Stout said:

bbVEC11.jpg

That's adorable.
And could almost be interpreted as social commentary considering how little real life trash collectors make.

This is the PS4 version, right? The graphics are really pretty from what I see here.

6 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

That's adorable.
And could almost be interpreted as social commentary considering how little real life trash collectors make.

This is the PS4 version, right? The graphics are really pretty from what I see here.

It's the definition of the 1€-job.

It's the Switch version.

Still applies, graphics are improved compared to PS3.

2 minutes ago, Reisalin Stout said:

It's the Switch version.

Still applies, graphics are improved compared to PS3.

I assumed it was the PS4 version at first due to those copyright notes in the corner of the picture that appear when you take screenshots on the PS4.
Every Switch game I played, including Atelier games, didn't add these to screenshots, so it didn't occur to me that it could be the Switch version instead.

Either way, it looks cute and welcoming, like Sophie.

---

Aaaaand I got another game over in Mary Skelter. That makes three now.
I really should pay more attention to this Corruption stuff. Blood Skelter Mode is not to be trifled with, especially not when Alice is the one doing it, since she does by far the most damage out of everyone on my team right now.

Well, like I said, started my CK2 playthrough. Another start as the King of Asturias. Because if there's one thing I like to do the most is help the (not-as-distant-as-one-may-think) motherland and become the Imperator Totius Hispaniae. Although as always... dammit, Umayyads, making it truly a challenge!

Didn't do much today. Just a Holy War to get the Navarra, taking advantage the Umayyads tried to Holy War against Charlie. Pft, they got decimated to the point a Catholic uprising in Granada was able to win, for once. However, I'm not restricting myself to Hispania. I sent my Court Chaplain to the balkans, where it had success converting a few of the pagan realms in the area. Gotta get them before the Orthodox do!

Oh, and just my luck. I had invited a Karling to court to prepare to add the Carolingian Bloodline to my dynasty... and lo and behold, the guy gets a son not soon before the King has a daughter, greatly simplifying and speeding up the process. The eugenics game is off to a very good start.

---

One of these days, one of these days! I'll get EU4 and HoI4, and be able to make a 769-1948 mega campaign...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

4 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Every Switch game I played, including Atelier games, didn't add these to screenshots, so it didn't occur to me that it could be the Switch version instead.

No, the Atelier games on Switch have always done this, not to mention some other third party games. Maybe you just didn't notice it but it's always been there for certain games.

Finished watching Godzilla vs Megaguirus. It's about slightly better than Godzilla 2000, which is to say, mediocre. The Millenium series of Godzilla films is average at best imo. Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla is actually pretty good and so is GMK but that's about it. Tokyo S.O.S is fine but a disapointing sequel to Against MechaGodzilla and both Godzilla 2000 and Vs Megaguirus are forgettable. Now, i haven't seen Final Wars yet because i'm still saving that for much later but as a whole, for now, even with two movies i really liked, the Millnenium Godzilla films might be the weakest Godzilla series overall. Well, i say that without knowing the full extent of the Showa and Heisei series. Although now that i think about it, the Reiwa series might actually be the weakest because while Shin Godzilla is good, the other Reiwa Godzilla films are the anime trilogy and if Planet of the Monsters is anything to go by........major oof.

Anyways, i'll be moving on to the Heisei series now. As those follow one contiunity, i'll be watching them in order as opposed to jumping around like i did with Millenium.

To hold myself over until Xenoblade Definitive Edition releases, I decided to get Final Fantasy VII because I guess I'm on an RPG spree at the moment and because it was on sale. Since Xenogears started as Takahashi and Saga's concept for FFVII, you might say that it's Xenoblade's step-granduncle or something. I left Midgar in little under six hours, so now I can say that Square made a whole game out of a six hour segment.

In my Xenoblade 2 replay I reached Garfont in over nine hours, which I imagine is longer than it took on my first playthrough since I did sidequests in Gormott while doing Umon's quest. Rex got Nim on his fourth Blade summon or so, and I'll try to get Nia a Rare Blade for herself before long. And I only got killed by Territorial Rotbart once!

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Now, i haven't seen Final Wars yet because i'm still saving that for much later but as a whole, for now, even with two movies i really liked, the Millnenium Godzilla films might be the weakest Godzilla series overall.

That's quite bold of you to say, since you've only seen one non-Millennium/Reiwa movie.

Edited by Lightchao42

20 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

That's quite bold of you to say, since you've only seen one non-Millennium/Reiwa movie.

True, but King Kong vs Godzilla was pretty funny and i hear apart from the first two Godzilla movies, the Showa era does try to be more humorous than the rest of the franchise. I mean, this is the same series where Godzilla slides across the land with his tail and he flies backwards.

That alone would hopefully put the Showa era over the Millenium era (even if Against MechaGodzilla is still my favorite Godzilla movie that i've seen so far).

2 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

To hold myself over until Xenoblade Definitive Edition releases, I decided to get Final Fantasy VII because I guess I'm on an RPG spree at the moment and because it was on sale. Since Xenogears started as Takahashi and Saga's concept for FFVII, you might say that it's Xenoblade's step-granduncle or something. I left Midgar in little under six hours, so now I can say that Square made a whole game out of a six hour segment.

Midgar itself isn't a bad opening though, despite some bumps. -Or so I'd say. I think it's understandable why it'd get a lot of emphasis in a remake, even if making a 20-30 hr (so I've heard, roughly) Part I game out of it is an eh move now watch it score 10/10s for no reason other than name recognition.

Speaking of VII, it turns out FFVII Remake isn't a remake of FFVII in the sense that its narrative simply didn't have some new side content added, they went ahead and ended Midgar maaaaaaaaaaaasively differently. Nomura looks to be at it with his Kingdom Hearts esotericism again, and I can't remember the source, but I think he said somewhere he only plans one KH game's plot ahead. Not good. Poor VII (no, I'm not being sarcastic), the only version of VII that Nomura didn't botch will be forever stuck with hideously aged graphics and a flawed English translation.

And to speak of Xenoblade, I'm hoping that after Future Connected (SPOILERS)...

Spoiler

Monolith does not try to force the inevitable Xenoblade Chronicles 3 into a shared world with 1&2. Noooooo inventing fourth Aegises, noooooooo to anything contrived to connect to The Experiment. Let's avoid Nomura unplanned-from-the-start esotericism. Start on a perfectly clean slate XC3.

...Fine! Have Meyneth be only half of Galea and warp away some of humanity instead of killing it all of it during The Experiment, but that, is, it. Absolutely no more after that. You'd dishonor the old games by creating stuff that creates retcons that undermine the old.

---

I did something a little different from my usual for video games, I watched a Let's Play for the story of a game.

Since the major gameplay clunk of the original Persona outweighed how much my historical curiosity was willing to bear, I gave up on actually playing it. I now see why, though it invented the franchise, it has otherwise been forgotten, the narrative and and characters aren't bad, just underdeveloped I would say. The choice to have two totally separate stories in one game likely wasn't a good move either, the Snow Queen Quest is ultimately a sideshow.

Persona 2 on the other hand. Sure more presentation and characterization would be great, and a few modern touchups to the plot, but on the matter of narrative, the duology of Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment (I have hopes) still holds up decades later. Ultimate Personae feel like more than an uncreative afterthought here too.

Tragically, Persona 2 Innocent Sin is *encounter* still *encounter* severely *encounter* dated *encounter* in friggin' gameplay! Fusion spells are cool, and I'm not opposed to classic SMT, but the poor dungeon design and extreme encounter rate are agony.

Hence, although I've played Innocent Sin to the end, I'm not going to do the same for Eternal Punishment, which never had it's PSP port translated and hence will end up being even worse than its English PSP ported predecessor. Instead, I'll emulate EP for a bit, to get a feel for the game firsthand, but once it becomes too frustratingly tedious, I'll swap over to watching an LP for the rest.

I've been thinking about downloading the first 7th Dragon, but nope, Desmune crashes at a certain point and I'd have to hack around it. I'm too much of computer noob to do that. That or I try a different emulator- not happening either.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

I'll be honest, when I first heard of VII and that it had three discs, I legit thought Midgard alone would be the entirety of Disc 1.

Imagine my surprise to know it was not even close. Years later I learned that all three discs carry the entire game anyway. The only thing they don't share is the FMV's. For those you need to swap the discs; but other than that you can play through Disc 1 story in, say, Disc 3, and it'd be fine.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

No, the Atelier games on Switch have always done this, not to mention some other third party games. Maybe you just didn't notice it but it's always been there for certain games.

Weird. Even in the screenshots I took for the Arland games (and the other third party titles I played on the Switch, for that matter), there wasn't anything like that.
Perhaps by a stroke of dumb luck, I only played exactly those games where the copyright note isn't inserted into screenshots.
Evidence:
8ZaeRgA.jpg

Although another explanation could be that I'm using an SD-card reader to get the screenshots from my SD card to my computer.

4 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

>Be me
>take a small nap due to headache
>nap turns into 8 hours sleep

Look at the bright side, at least you had the sleep you missed due to Ao's hype train not stopping.
In all seriousness, hope that headache is gone now!

9 minutes ago, Reisalin Stout said:

And now for the most difficult decision in the game:

SIeJx3Y.jpg

zA0Xst8.jpg

Who to pick?

Shallistera looks prettier between the two, but Shalotte seems like the more fun character.

Just now, Reisalin Stout said:

Thanks, although it doesn't really help me further.

Sorry.
If it helps, judging from the descriptions, Shallistera's story could be potentially more interesting - that is, if there is a difference between the two at all.
The premise is intriguing to me, at the very least.