The Last To Post Wins!

Darros

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Combination attacks also needed positioning and formation

True, I almost forgot about those!
Which is embarrassing, because I have been spamming the things lately... Superior Angels is still my favorite of these, just like it has been since I've first seen it in Re;Birth 2.
Though the original CPUs' Guardian Force comes close.

Edited by DragonFlames

• Replies 180k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Breezy Kanzaki

• Ein

• Caster

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Shrimperor said:

Loli power supreme, eh? xD

eJ7LAwS.jpg

Jokes aside, I just like the way Superior Angels looks, and I always feel somewhat nostalgic when using it, because it was the finishing move against many a boss back in Re;Birth 2.
Also, the name is awesome.

In general, I will admit to being fond of the CPU Candidates. They are incredibly useful in combat (definitely the most effective of the three "groups" (CPUs, Candidates, Gold Third) at working as an actual team), their formation skills are awesome, and they are just great characters in general.
But you knew that already. XD

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

I looked it up

Ether_Planter_tutorial.png

What I found more tedious was how rare some of the items were. It's why I really want collection points.

Maybe I just wanted to forget.

I agree with you, it's way to luck based the way it was.

No usual E3 Nintendo Direct? Why? Afraid of digital leaks and the like? Would planning the presentation on clay tablets written in Sumerian cuneiform and sending the 1950s programming punchcards containing the presentation itself via pigeon mail be a solution?

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

Btw, is it alright if i keep tagging you guys when talking about these info drops? I won't do it for every info drop (like how when they just showed the new character renders) but for stuff like this, i think you guys would've like to know, given how.......arcahic the original Xenoblade 1 could be at times.

No, I don't mind at all, you can keep it up. I don't like being hyped up, but I can activate my Anti-Hype Diffusion Ventilation System for that.

I do appreciate the changes they're making, it's more than a lazy remaster/port that way. Gives more reason to double dip, and it's a sign Monolith cares about the player experience.

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

In other news, while we knew about fashion gear, the example they used when talking about was shirtless Dunban, because of course they did. Even Soraya Saga was kinda amused at how Western Xenoblade fans like shirtless Dunban so much.

How did you not realize the reason the Monado rejected Dunban was because he was sexier than it was awesome? Shulk gets to use it because the puny nerd could never dream of being cool without it. 

And, Monolith deserves blame for promoting Naked Dunban as an actual battle build- albeit a bad one b/c it means you lose out on five Gem slots.

7 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

I don't mind either way, but regardless we can be the Four Horsemen of the Xenopocalypse.

I call Black Rider! Because the next time we see the Black Knight, I will outdo everyone else here at the Scream With Joy Contest.

5 hours ago, Armagon said:

That's got a nice ring to it haha. I'd say the Four Testaments of the Xenopocalypse, to get that Xenosaga reference in (and there are four Testaments, who are 100% inspired by the Four Horsemen) but it doesn't roll off as nicely.

Testament was reused as the name for the Reclaimers in XCX in the Japanese just as a reminder. So, Elma (and Yelv- he even silently shows up behind Elma in the post-credits scene) is a "Testament" too.

Does the Japanese version explain the name? I wonder. Reclaimer is readily understandable, and I can see Testament as meaning "a testament to humanity's existence"- referring to the Lifehold. But is it actually explained ingame in Japan? If it isn't, the name is a little awkward as anything other than a name drop.

4 hours ago, Karimlan said:

And then I saw the upcoming Brigandine game demo available on the eShop.

I'm keeping my eye out for reviews of the game, it sounds like it could be a fun new SRPG based on an obscure old one. But after Langrisser I&II turned out to be lukewarm in the reviews, I'll be cautious in my expectations.

On 4/28/2020 at 4:06 PM, Karimlan said:

@Strullemia: are you doing NG+ on Trials of Mana, or are you going with a fresh file?

On 4/28/2020 at 4:13 PM, Strullemia said:

Still need to do some of the Post-Game content (just unlocked the fourth tier classes) and then I'll try NG+. Depending on what carries over and how the game handles NG+ I might change my mind and go with a fresh file. 

Speaking of, is it easier to get money in the remake or not? Because one thing I originally found painful was the fact that after a certain point (most likely around the time the Benevodons returned), getting new weapons broke my bank.

@Shadow Mir: I haven't gotten there yet on the remake, but the Lil' Cactus subquest helps out with perks (occasional x2 exp, shop discounts to name a couple) and all you gotta do is look for him on any given map.

Edited by Karimlan

4 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

In Liberl people still hated the empire even 10 years after the war, and now you want to tell me Crossbellans suddeny like Rean

.....did they? I know Agate used to have some angst but that was directed at both Liberl and Erebonia. Other than that, i can't really recall anyone in the Sky trilogy who outright hated the empire. Well, the Calvardian ambassedor i guess but she's Calvardian, they hate the empire because it exists.

....Was it some NPC dialouge? Cause i don't talk to every NPC and i certianly didn't do every quest in the Sky trilogy so maybe i missed some stuff.

That first part would also explain the "6 out of 10 Crossbellans like Rean" because i don't remember seeing that.

4 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

There was at least some semblance of logic behind that, with you needing to attack the enemy from a specific direction to break their parts, the only hard part is getting to move your characters in such a way that they can do that, especially in Affimojas' case, where you have to attack him from behind to damage his cape. And he always positions himself in such a way that this becomes very hard to do (which is actually pretty smart boss design, I think).

I will say though that sometimes it wasn't exactly clear what was breakable and what wasn't. And even when you do find it, the hit detection could get wonky at times.

2 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

There was at least some semblance of logic behind that, with you needing to attack the enemy from a specific direction to break their parts, the only hard part is getting to move your characters in such a way that they can do that, especially in Affimojas' case, where you have to attack him from behind to damage his cape. And he always positions himself in such a way that this becomes very hard to do (which is actually pretty smart boss design, I think).

It does and Ch.2 is probably my favorite part of the game. I like that they didn't go the generic "empire oppresses it's occupied provinces" route but you can subtley tell that Crossbell is kinda a shadow of it's former self. I mean, the song that plays is literally called The Caged Crossbell.

And of course, showing both sides of the citizens. People who are alright with the occupation and people who aren't. Though it doesn't really dive too deep into it.

32 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

No usual E3 Nintendo Direct? Why? Afraid of digital leaks and the like?

Most likely because COVID-19 is forcing everyone to stay at home and even though it's a video presentation, it'd still cause some struggles.

A recent Famitsu article with Sakurai did state that the Smash DLC was doing fine because it's DLC but had they been working on a new game, it would've been a lot harder.

Not counting the rumored 3D Mario collection (because we have no confirmation), i think XenoblaDE will be the last big Nintendo game we'll see for a while. 

35 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Testament was reused as the name for the Reclaimers in XCX in the Japanese just as a reminder. So, Elma (and Yelv- he even silently shows up behind Elma in the post-credits scene) is a "Testament" too.

Oh that's pretty interesting. It probably was just a reference or at the very least, thought it sounded cool. If Xenoblade 2 is anything to go by, any religious references are still directly used in the Japanese version as opposed to using a similar word.

16 minutes ago, Armagon said:

....Was it some NPC dialouge? Cause i don't talk to every NPC and i certianly didn't do every quest in the Sky trilogy so maybe i missed some stuff.

Yeah, and even the characters. They were still atleast pretty angry with the empire.

Well, it wasn't outright hate (well some NPCs were), but it wasn't a positive reaction at all when they were mentioned.

16 minutes ago, Armagon said:

That first part would also explain the "6 out of 10 Crossbellans like Rean" because i don't remember seeing that.

Randy says that.

Edited by Shrimperor

24 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Speaking of, is it easier to get money in the remake or not? Because one thing I originally found painful was the fact that after a certain point (most likely around the time the Benevodons returned), getting new weapons broke my bank.

When I fought the first or second Benevodon I went to those cat Merchants to buy the new armor and couldn't get all of the parts for my third party member.

After that I decided to wait a few areas to buy new armor/weapons. You don't actually need all of the newest gear anyway. 

23 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Oh that's pretty interesting. It probably was just a reference or at the very least, thought it sounded cool. If Xenoblade 2 is anything to go by, any religious references are still directly used in the Japanese version as opposed to using a similar word.

There are other name differences for the BLADE Divisions besides latest?cb=20150218183133, but none are prior Xeno references.:

latest?cb=20150218183133- "Colpedian". As in the Collectopaedia, and filling it is the main way to get Division Points to increase your BLADE level if you're one of these. The symbol looks like a "C" too.

latest?cb=20150218183135 - An appropriately gentle name for the Mediators, in the shape of a giant "C" with an unfinished "o" in the middle maybe.

latest?cb=20150218183134 -The symbol looks like an "L" and a "b", albeit with one upside-down relative to the other. 

latest?cb=20150218183135- I can see an "A" without the middle line to the left and an "M" to the right here too.

latest?cb=20150218183135- Why this of all names?

Pathfinder and Interceptor are the same in Japanese. Neither of those use the "symbol looks like letters from the name" either.

It appears they went through a one or two logo designs before choosing the official ones.:

latest?cb=20160321154650

The old Interceptor logo got turned upside down and became the finalized Pathfinder one I'm noticing.

2 hours ago, Karimlan said:

@Shadow Mir: I haven't gotten there yet on the remake, but the Lil' Cactus subquest helps out with perks (occasional x2 exp, shop discounts to name a couple) and all you gotta do is look for him on any given map.

1 hour ago, Strullemia said:

When I fought the first or second Benevodon I went to those cat Merchants to buy the new armor and couldn't get all of the parts for my third party member.

After that I decided to wait a few areas to buy new armor/weapons. You don't actually need all of the newest gear anyway. 

I see. Also, did they make the game harder or something? Because I've seen some screenshots with level 61 enemies.

3 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Yeah, and even the characters. They were still atleast pretty angry with the empire.

Well, it wasn't outright hate (well some NPCs were), but it wasn't a positive reaction at all when they were mentioned.

Ah, i'm guessing it was more of a distaste towards the nation but not it's people, then? Cause nobody had a genuine problem with Olivier. But honestly, i mainly remember the characters having a neutral reaction whenever Erebonia was mentioned. Not positve but not neccisarily negative either.

As for the Crossbellans, i think it's because it was already a melting pot and there were a lot of Erebonians in Crossbell already so for them, it's like "ah whatever". Obviously, for the Calvardians, it's a different matter. And if Calvard had been the occupier, the reverse would've happened.

Just offering some potential reasons for why Liberl and Crossbell's perspectives would be different. 

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It appears they went through a one or two logo designs before choosing the official ones.:

latest?cb=20160321154650

The old Interceptor logo got turned upside down and became the finalized Pathfinder one I'm noticing.

Meanwhile, it looks like one of the concepts for the BLADE logo was the Monado. Would've been a neat little reference if they went with it, and fitting too. Whether or not the reason they didn't go with it is because there was already a Monado reference in the form of Lin's little hairpins remains to be seen but i doubt it.

I wonder how XCX and XC2 would be handled if the first Xenoblade Chronicles was named "Monado: The Beginning of the World " like it was originally planned, because they would probably try to justify the title somehow. Would Pyra be "the Monado" instead of the Aegis? Would all Blades be called Monados? Would BLADEs be MONADOs too? Or would the title be switched to Xenoblade at some point? We can't travel to alternate universes so unfortunately we'll never be able to find out.

You mean it was not "Xenoblade Chronicles" or the alternate name would be a subtitle placed after "Xenoblade Chronicles"?

5 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

You mean it was not "Xenoblade Chronicles" or the alternate name would be a subtitle placed after "Xenoblade Chronicles"?

The former. It's well documented that "Monado: The Beginning of the World" was the original title, and that it was Iwata's idea to rename it to Xenoblade as a homage to Tetsuya Takahashi's previous works. I was wondering how the follow-ups would change if the Monado title was retained.

2 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

I wonder how XCX and XC2 would be handled if the first Xenoblade Chronicles was named "Monado: The Beginning of the World " like it was originally planned, because they would probably try to justify the title somehow. Would Pyra be "the Monado" instead of the Aegis? Would all Blades be called Monados? Would BLADEs be MONADOs too? Or would the title be switched to Xenoblade at some point? We can't travel to alternate universes so unfortunately we'll never be able to find out.

MONADO:

• Modus
  • Operandi
  • Navigating
  • Artificial
  • Destiny
  • Obliterator

...I still don't entirely get the Japanese meaning for BLADE.

Does the "Artificial Destiny Emancipator" part mean the destiny is artificial, or is the it the Emancipator that is? I guess it's the destiny, but what is the artificial destiny then and why is it fake?

And what does "Beyond the Logos" refer to? A quick definition lookup says Logos is the Word/Reason/Order of God. And that it can also mean Reason and judgment in Jungian psychoanalysis- associated with the concept of animus, and which in term reminds me of anima, another Jungian concept which Xenogears (and I believe Saga) includes. Both the Christian and Jungian meanings have relevance for Xeno.

To combine the two parts, I'd interpret it as a godslaying message. Emancipate oneself from the Artificial Destiny imposed by the Logos of something. But we don't have a definitive subject forcing the Logos, the best we have currently is the Ganglion trying to eradicate humanity. Or, you could say it's the trial of being exiled from Earth and forced to find somewhere new in space to survive that is the Logos. Lastly, the acronym could be foreshadowing the coming menace of XCX2, but I'd doubt that.

And then, the English acronym shares no meaning with the Japanese, and should it ever become relevant again that'll be a localization problem. Builders of the Legacy After the Destruction of Earth is only a good translation if the evil Logos is meant to be the Destruction of Earth in general.

6 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

"Monado: The Beginning of the World" was the original name for Xenoblade Chronicles, it was not intended to be a new start to the Xeno franchise. The change to Xenoblade was because:

It was originally shown at E3 2009 with the title Monado: The Beginning of the World. But one little switcheroo and it'll probably sell twice the copies. Nintendo's not even going to bother saying that the name change is a coincidence. "We decided to call it Xenoblade to honor Mr. Tetsuya Takahashi who poured his soul into making this and who has been working on the Xeno series," said Iwata.

Thank you Iwata, I hope you can hear me from the Pure Land of Amida Buddha, or wherever it is you ended up. And more:

The game's director, Tetsuya Takahashi clears any sort of confusion over the "Xeno" name in a lengthy interview in this week's Famitsu. The Xeno name, he said, should be taken as just a symbol, placed there as some sort of common point with Monolith's past works.

And this was the game's original 2009 trailer under the old name:

Ah, i'm guessing it was more of a distaste towards the nation but not it's people, then?

Kinda. It's when talking to people really affected by it, and when the Empire tries to invade again in SC chapter 8.

And some NPCs here and there iirc. And Agate's anger.

As for the Crossbellans, i think it's because it was already a melting pot and there were a lot of Erebonians in Crossbell already so for them, it's like "ah whatever". Obviously, for the Calvardians, it's a different matter. And if Calvard had been the occupier, the reverse would've happened.

Walking around Crossbell almost everyone seems to have a problem with the Empire
Yet they like Rean for some reason???

Honestly, that 6 out of 10 like Rean thing is really out of place. Really felt like Falcom  added just so Rean becomes the one beloved by all, as usual.

Melting pot or not, it's a country occupying another, and you feel that through the chapter. Military everywhere, controlled news, unhappy people etc.

Anyway, True Crossbell Experience

Spoiler

sqPPCbm.png

Edited by Shrimperor

38 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Perhaps a Star Wars thing could've happened here. Originally, A New Hope was just callled Star Wars and it actually remained that way up until the Special Editions, where it got the name A New Hope. So maybe we could've had Monado: Beginning of the World, which would later be changed into a subtitle. So it'd later be: Xenoblade Chronicles: Monado: Beginning of the World.............actually never mind, that sounds like a Kingdom Hearts title.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

So it'd later be: Xenoblade Chronicles: Monado: Beginning of the World.............actually never mind, that sounds like a Kingdom Hearts title.

If you dropped "Monado" and tweaked it to Xenoblade Chronicles: The Beginning of the World, it'd be okay. A little wordy, but blame Nintendo of Europe for adding the "Chronicles", it's plain old "Zenobureido" in Japan, nothing else.

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

If you dropped "Monado" and tweaked it to Xenoblade Chronicles: The Beginning of the World, it'd be okay. A little wordy, but blame Nintendo of Europe for adding the "Chronicles", it's plain old "Zenobureido" in Japan, nothing else.

Actually, thinking about it now, Monado Chronicles could be a good name in this alternative timeline.