• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Breezy Kanzaki

• Ein

• Caster

Top Posters In This Topic

Of the top five Toho Kaiju, i'd say Mothra has the strongest debut film, though the original Godzilla is on par with it. Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster was decent and the original Rodan was kinda boring.

Now i just need to watch the original Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla to see what MechaGodzilla's introduction was like. Though that'll be later, even though i jumped around a bit, i've decided to watch the Showa Godzilla series in order. And MechaGodzilla doesn't show up until the final two films of that series. 

Finally got around to completing a Domination Victory again in Civ VI Gathering Storm. A Seven Seas on King as the Ottomans (I scrapped the True Start Europe run), I had a great starting location, got up all the cities I wanted, built my economy, assembled about ten Warriors which I half-off upgraded into Swordsmen and then Janissaries to avoid the population loss. I waited until I got past a Dark Age where a key city of mine needed everything I had to stop it from bleeding Loyalty (and even then I staunched it so late it's Loyalty dropped into the 30s and sat at 0 gain/loss, rendering it unproductive), and then through a Heroic and two Golden Ages, began and ended an endless war.

First a small but terrain-heavy China battle, then Arabia, which I thought would be easy, but they got Renaissance Walls up in time and Bombards- the only remedy to them- are very weak, upgrading to Artillery fixed that big time. The Arabian slog was followed by a fairly painless Hungarian conquest, and an easy Russian where the army consisted of unemployed Great Musicians, Artists, and Writers. 

I limited the conquest of the Maori to their capital with one Battleship Army and a Destroyer, Loyalty stacking a Golden Age and an incredible 24 population mitigated the need to raze or capture any other cities to avoid revolt. I had a lone Barbary Corsair raid Kupe's coastline during this time, I never realized how strong pillaging is, and the Barbary Corsair can do it multiple times per turn- the Ottomans are a near-perfect war machine. Need to play Archipelago with Norway some time for the most pillage-fun.

I had the Janissary + Artillery Army sail over to fight the Zulu and upgraded everyone to Infantry and Rocket Artillery, and at the start of my second consecutive Golden Age had a purchased Bomber in position for a short war using a second army of Infantry, Rocket Artillery, and a Machine Gun I had assembled. On turn 277 Tenochtitlan fell, maybe five turns into the Aztec war, and two turns later I squeezed in the capture of Ulundi, Domination achieved. For two war-oriented Civs, neither the Aztecs nor the Zulu had any real army to fight, the AI is stupid. Instead, it was mostly city defenses and lots of Encampments, the Zulus get a cheaper unique version, and them uselessly spamming them explains why I got just two Great Generals over the entire play.

And with that, I've won every victory except Score (who cares?) and Diplomatic (which is eeeeeeh I'm coming to think, but I'll try for one again eventually) in Gathering Storm. I think I can take a break from Civ VI now. Next time I want to try to mix some war into my usually peaceful playstyle when it comes to Cultural and Science Victories. Persia seems perfect for that.

GeUUaYy.jpg

Is this the certain spot?

Anyways game has become much better because

Spoiler

former class VII members who don't suck. Normal mode was perfectly managable.

and

Spoiler

Agate and Hamel

Best song so far:

Put in spoilers for reasons (for everyone who hasn't played the Liberl triology)

Spoiler

Edited by Falcom Knight

yyc9RTm.jpg

😍

It looks like that chapter 2 features all the top tier characters from Zemuria.

Anyways Rean finally became an adult...

... though he still sucks.

I have no fucking clue how to beat Le Guin in the quest.

Forte + 200 CP s-craft aren't enough to bring her down to 70% HP.

She can't be delayed and I have no access to make Rean become a dodgetank, so I have no idea what to do.

Alisa may as well be carrying around a giant neon sign that says "desperate" with that dress.

On 5/1/2020 at 4:21 PM, Armagon said:

Yeah, i always figured the more likely scenario is that the Switch would be made into processor parts that'd be shared between Blanc and the twins.

But then the only ones who would get Next Next Forms would be Neptune, Noire and Vert, leaving Blanc awkwardly out of the equation.

I actually meant it so that would apply to everyone, not just Blanc. Just have variations of the Next Form be processor units instead of all new forms.
One thing I have always hated about Dragonball Z (it's one of the reasons I never really got into it, the other being the wonky powerscaling and flimsy justifications for sudden power-ups) and shonen anime in general is that each further form/transformation makes the previous seem utterly meaningless.
I don't want that to happen to the Next Form. I want it to remain this special power that only surfaces when the situation in the story calls for it. If they keep introducing new forms upon new forms, it could potentially devalue the finale of the Hyperdimension Arc, which was otherwise a very powerful, meaningful scene.

I don't know if this makes any sense or not, but that is my reason why I suggested keeping further upgrades restricted to processor units.
The other reason is that I just like to play around with the various customization options they give you. Would be fun if we could do that for the Next Form, too.

On 5/1/2020 at 5:55 PM, Falcom Knight said:

Anyways I have (philosophical) question:

What does underrated mean?

I see so many videos and threads where this word is used and I have no idea what the definition of this term is.

It's not based on any measure, so this word is absolute meaningless to me.

As far as I know, "underrated" means that something a person likes/thinks is good isn't getting enough attention in that person's eyes.

I personally think it's meaningless, too, since just because most others don't like what you do doesn't devalue your personal fondness for it.
The same holds true for the opposite. When something you like is considered "overrated" by some (or many) others, so what? You like it, and that's that.
Though I am guilty of using both terms in the past, especially the "overrated" thing. I could punch myself for it.

15 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

JunaErebonians.jpg

me atm.

Fuck them.

Nuke the Country.

Kick them out

#DieterDidNothingWrong

So you have reached that scene, I assume?
If so, then I completely understand. I was in that mood when I saw it, too.

16 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

So you have reached that scene, I assume?
If so, then I completely understand. I was in that mood when I saw it, too.

Urge to Thanos Erebonia out of existence rising every second i am in Crossbell.

Also, kinda funny how every time i get old Class 7 they are so much weaker than the new ones, stat wise lol

Edited by Shrimperor

Just now, Shrimperor said:

Urge to Thanos Erebonia out of existence rising every second i am in Crossbell.

I just had a really weird thought: maybe that's the point? Maybe we are supposed to hate Erebonia, even as we're playing for their team?

That scene certainly accomplished that goal for me, if that was the intention. Holy hell did I ever hate the empire in that moment.
Though I have to say the writing in that scene was excellent.

3 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I just had a really weird thought: maybe that's the point? Maybe we are supposed to hate Erebonia, even as we're playing for their team?

yeah, it's pretty clear. Not that i didn't hate Erebonia before coming from Crossbell and Liberl xD

3 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Though I have to say the writing in that scene was excellent.

Yes.

Actually, everytime CS3 follows on Sky/Crossbell it's 👌

Everytime it follows on CS1/2 it's 💤

CS3 is hurt by being a cold steel game, with it's biggest weakness being CS1/2 leftovers (especially Rean and Rean-worshipping)

Edited by Shrimperor

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Actually, everytime CS3 follows on Sky/Crossbell it's 👌

Little surprise that even I, as someone who never played Sky or Crossbell, say that those parts were among my favorite in CS3.

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

CS3 is hurt by being a cold steel game, with it's biggest weakness being CS1/2 leftovers (and Rean and Rean-worshipping)

My personal biggest gripe with CS3 is slightly different (and strongly connected to my fondness for the new Class VII), but I agree that those dragged it down a lot, too (still think it's better than CS2, though).
Also, I will say that I think CS1 built a pretty strong foundation... which was then swiftly thrown off a cliff and into the depths of an erupting volcano in the sequel.

5 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

and strongly connected to my fondness for the new Class VII

let me guess, it's old Class 7 one up'ing new one every time, right?

It's a bit annoying yes, even if makes sense story wise (what doesn't make sense is giving me old Class 7 with 50 SPD while my current Party has 90 lol)

Also, I will say that I think CS1 built a pretty strong foundation... which was then swiftly thrown off a cliff and into the depths of an erupting volcano in the sequel.

yeah, that i can agree with. CS1, despite it's downfalls and shit school setting, is a decent game and a good build up.

CS2 is just Falcom being on crack or something.

Honestly, CS3 should've been CS1, with Civil war told in flashbacks, as only in Flashbacks can Falcom write consequences, it seems.

Seriously though, i will never acknowledge old Class 7 as heroes, unless something big changes (which i know doesn't).

Estelle's gang were heroes, the SSS were heroes. Old Class 7 are scrubs at best.

Also, As much as i like Juna

Her existence is one massive retcon

Edited by Shrimperor

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

let me guess, it's olf Class 7 one up'ing new one every time, right?

That's only part of it, believe it or not. I'll put the full one in spoilers just in case:

My reason is that new class VII is almost never ever allowed to have any accomplishments in the story. They have one moment where they are allowed to be awesome in the Hamel Chapter when they ambush Duvalie and co. and that's it. That's the only moment they get. Everything else has them being downplayed to hell, they're sidelined outright by Falcom's hard-on for NPCs, or have to have themselves get bailed out, CS2-style. One particular moment near the end drove me up the f***ing wall and made me seriously consider quitting the game right then and there. This one I won't specify, but you'll know what I'm talking about when you get there.

6 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

CS2 is just Falcom being on crack or something.

XD

7 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Honestly, CS3 should've been CS1, with Civil war told in flashbacks.

You know, I completely agree with this.

7 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Seriously though, i will never acknowledge old Class 7 as heroes [...] Old Class 7 are scrubs at best.

I blame CS2 making them out to be scrubs for that.

My reason is that new class VII is almost never ever allowed to have any accomplishments in the story.

gotta make old Class 7 relevant somehow lul (even though they are still the same scrubs, and the only good and relevant ones are the same relevant ones for back then, except Emma getting her role stolen by her cat)

Honestly, old Class 7's role should be more of a support role rather than Main cast role. Like for example Sky cast in Crossbell, there Sky cast acted as support, and didn't one up the SSS every time.

Honestly, i know i would be much more annoyed at the whole ''no need for Valimar'' thing everytime if i didn't knew about it before hand. 

I blame CS2 making them out to be scrubs for that.

And Rean for being the chosen one MC for everything on the freaking continent. Seriously <.<

I want my normal peeps MCs back. No super power shit.

Edited by Shrimperor

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

gotta make old Class 7 relevant somehow lul (even though they are still the same scrubs, and the only good and relevant ones are the same relevant ones for back then, except Emma getting her role stolen by her cat)

I noticed that, too. They're all "We've all grown so much!" and yet they never show it. Not once.

Which makes it a very egregious asspull when they suddenly do. Like that one part where Alisa is suddenly able to one-shot a f***ing Magic Knight, a thing everyone pissed their collective pants over previously.

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Honestly, old Class 7's role should be more of a support role rather than Main cast role.

Definitely. I had hoped for this, but that didn't exactly pan out.

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Like for example Sky cast in Crossbell, there Sky cast acted as support, and didn't one up the SSS every time.

Characters getting one-upped by others even when it really does not make any sense (a.k.a. character shilling) is CS' writers' favorite story tool, it seems.
"Consistency? Tension? Pfff. Who needs that stuff, anyway? Shill this character next!" - CS' writing staff, probably.

5 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Honestly, i know i would be much more annoyed at the whole ''no need for Valimar'' thing everytime if i didn't knew about it before hand.

As someone who didn't know about it beforehand let me tell you that it was really annoying. The first time, it was like "okay, that's pretty clever", but then they pulled that shit over and over and over and over again to the point where it got stupid.
Kinda like the whole "characters get rescued in the nick of time" thing in CS2.

Meaning we can add "Moderation" to the list of words the writers for CS clearly do not have in their vocabulary, right along with the above-mentioned "Consistency" and "Tension".

11 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

I want my normal peeps MCs back. No super power shit.

Either Kurt or Juna being the MC would have already improved CS3 for me.
Kurt in particular would have probably been a good option for that role, since his Vander family seems pretty relevant to the overall story, and parts of it were playable in past games as far as I'm aware.

Just now, DragonFlames said:

I noticed that, too. They're all "We've all grown so much!" and yet they never show it. Not once

That spoiler

493135310973304842.png?v=1

Or here's another one

Spoiler

Sharon getting rekt by Mcdonalds guy, yet Emma, Alisa and Machias stopped him

Seriously, Power levels in the series were always whack, but in CS they are extra kind of whack.

Atleast in Sky and Crossbell by the end of the 2nd game your Team was able to defeat the society (and it made sense since you had strong peeps like Kevin and Wazy in your Party). Here they always pull the ''time to stop holding back'' shtick. 

Also, why even have human battles when they don't even matter anyway and it all leads to Mecha battles?

4 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Characters getting one-upped by others even when it really does not make any sense (a.k.a. character shilling) is CS' writers' favorite story tool, it seems.
"Consistency? Tension? Pfff. Who needs that stuff, anyway? Shill this character next!" - CS' writing staff, probably.

Their 2nd favourite tool is: ''No one, especially MC-kun, is responsible for anything''

6 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Kinda like the whole "characters get rescued in the nick of time" thing in CS2.

What made it extra bad in CS2 is that they pull that shit at the end of the game lol.

7 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Kurt in particular would have probably been a good option for that role, since his Vander family seems pretty relevant to the overall story, and parts of it were playable in past games as far as I'm aware.

Müller, Olivier's bodyguard/best friend/plaything  was playable in SC (only at the very end though) and Sky3rd.

And yeah i agree, Rean's role should've been reduced, alot. Along with any Rean worshipping

That 6/10 Crossbellans like Rean shit still annoys me, especially when you see what a sorry state Crossbell is in.

41 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Or here's another one

Reveal hidden contents

Sharon getting rekt by Mcdonalds guy, yet Emma, Alisa and Machias stopped him

Seriously, Power levels in the series were always whack, but in CS they are extra kind of whack.

Atleast in Sky and Crossbell by the end of the 2nd game your Team was able to defeat the society (and it made sense since you had strong peeps like Kevin and Wazy in your Party). Here they always pull the ''time to stop holding back'' shtick. 

That one was pretty egregious, too. Especially since that person was involved with the moment I mentioned, as well.

About the McDonald's guy (XD), just wait until Chapter 3. McBurn. Deserves. Better. That is all.

43 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Also, why even have human battles when they don't even matter anyway and it all leads to Mecha battles?

Because an entire game based around Mecha battles with an actually fun combat system wasn't on the idea list someone pasted on to the fridge that day.

46 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Their 2nd favourite tool is: ''No one, especially MC-kun, is responsible for anything''

And that, I hear, reaches its ugly peak in CS4.
I'm dreading that trainwreck already...

48 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

What made it extra bad in CS2 is that they pull that shit at the end of the game lol.

"Oh you think your characters are allowed to finally become the heroes they should be at this point if the story was written with even the slightest bit of basic understanding of how storytelling works? Well f*** you!"
~ CS2 writing staff

50 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Müller, Olivier's bodyguard/best friend/plaything  was playable in SC (only at the very end though) and Sky3rd.

Bold part: lol
I remembered seeing him on some screenshots you and Falcom Knight posted before. Glad I didn't have that wrong.

---

Taking a galaxy-sized dump on CS is more fun that I thought.

12 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Because an entire game based around Mecha battles with an actually fun combat system wasn't on the idea list someone pasted on to the fridge that day.

Tfw Cool Giant Mechas with sick soundtrack is a 1 hour long RPS battle

WHO'S IDEA WAS THAT?

Really xD

13 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

And that, I hear, reaches its ugly peak in CS4.

Oh yes. Oh yes. It retroactively ruins all games (not just CS) before it.
You know what else reaches it's ugly peak in CS4: Nostalgia bait.

14 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I'm dreading that trainwreck already...

Atleast prepare for something good: First Part doesn't have Rean. Which is also the best part.

Once Rean comes back though...

I love that emoji so much

16 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

~ CS2 writing staff

CS2 basically: ''Ya know, we need a chapter at the end of CS1 to be parallel to end of Ao''

''How about making it a whole game instead''

''Perfect''

17 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Bold part: lol

The whole universe is Olivier's plaything, my friend.

He isn't called the debachourous Prince for no reason xD

18 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Taking a galaxy-sized dump on CS is more fun that I thought.

Yes let that hate fill you join us

I think

Falcom's decision to make CS ''newcomer friendly'' was their biggest mistake, as Crossbell picks up right where Sky stops, and thus has 👌 pacing and Story. CS they kinda tried to do a new thing and at the same time to continue the old story. Really doesn't work

Today I went through my old ps2 games and...

You guys ever get older and think: "Mom/Dad, why the hell did you ever get me this game and why didn't you take it away when you saw me play it?"

I mean I'm glad my parents aren't the controlling type but...

Seriously just look at the gameplay here

I played this game when I was not even 10 years old and then I had no idea was doing but my parents should've at least raised some eyebrows xD

Edited by Strullemia

27 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Oh yes. Oh yes. It retroactively ruins all games (not just CS) before it.

Omega Ouch.
I'm seriously considering saving that 60€ for something else at this stage...

You know what else reaches it's ugly peak in CS4: Nostalgia bait.

Ah yes, nostalgia bait. That cursed thing that always betrays how little faith a producer has that their work can stand on its own.

Most of that will probably be lost on me, though.

Atleast prepare for something good: First Part doesn't have Rean. Which is also the best part.

At least they keep that consistent, then. That's going to be a nice few hours...

I love that emoji so much

It is a pretty funny emoji.
I want a Nepgya emoji.

CS2 basically: ''Ya know, we need a chapter at the end of CS1 to be parallel to end of Ao''

''How about making it a whole game instead''

''Perfect''

Whatever drugs they had when they thought of this, I don't want any.

The whole universe is Olivier's plaything, my friend.

He isn't called the debachourous Prince for no reason xD

True, true. XD
And Alfin is basically him with boobs. As of CS3, at least.

Yes let that hate fill you join us

I fully joined and devoted myself to your side the moment CS2's nonsensical epilogue came on.

Falcom's decision to make CS ''newcomer friendly'' was their biggest mistake, as Crossbell picks up right where Sky stops, and thus has 👌 pacing and Story. CS they kinda tried to do a new thing and at the same time to continue the old story. Really doesn't work

The CS games as a whole are kinda this "have your cake and eat it too" deal. And that never works.

25 minutes ago, Strullemia said:

Today I went through my old ps2 games and...

You guys ever got older and thought: "Mom/Dad, why the hell did you ever get me this game and why didn't you take it away when you saw me play it?"

I mean I'm glad my parents aren't the controlling type but...

I played this game when I was not even 10 years old and then I had no idea was doing but my parents should've raised some eyes xD

*before checking out the gameplay* Huh, doesn't look too bad. It kinda looks like any old platformer from that era.
*after checking out the gameplay* ... I have SEVERAL questions...

Edited by DragonFlames

Ah yes, nostalgia bait. That cursed thing that always betrays how little faith a producer has that their work can stand on its own.

And they don't do even do it right, that's the problem.

And Alfin is basically him with boobs.

We call Alfin Lolivier for a reason xD

And Alfin is basically him with boobs.

yeah. They couldn't decide what they want to be. 

Someone should tell them Player choice + continuity just does.not.work.

Edited by Shrimperor

And they don't do even do it right, that's the problem.

Words can't cover my reaction to that. As such:

yeah. They couldn't decide what they want to be.

That sums it up pretty well.
Funnily enough, that statement covers my impression of the Pokémon franchise, too.

Someone should tell them Player choice + continuity just does.not.work.

Oh so much this.

Edited by DragonFlames

Me, a Cold Steel fan, walking into this thread and seeing both DragonFlames and Shrimperor wage war on the Cold Steel games

IMG_20200122_203744.jpg?width=651&height

3 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

I don't know if this makes any sense or not, but that is my reason why I suggested keeping further upgrades restricted to processor units.
The other reason is that I just like to play around with the various customization options they give you. Would be fun if we could do that for the Next Form, too.

I see. Yeah, getting processor parts for the Next Forms would be nice. Increases the customization aspect.

2 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

I noticed that, too. They're all "We've all grown so much!" and yet they never show it. Not once.

I'm pretty sure that was meant in more of a "life" way and less of a "combat" way. Cause they all became at least somewhat respected in the careers they chose to do. So in that sense, yes, they have grown. 

But yes, i will agree all the bailouts are annoying. I didn't really mind them in the previous games but it's actually noticable here.

2 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Except that there are significantly less mecha battles compared to human battles. And you can't even summon Valimar for three turns like you could in Cold Steel 2.

1 hour ago, DragonFlames said:

Falcom should've hired Monolith Soft to design the mecha battles.

Jokes aside though, even if they are very specific, there should've been more depth to Cold Steel's mecha battles. I don't mind them because they don't happen often but i do often just hit the turbo button when i fight them.

If they can significantly improve the mecha battles and decide to bring them back in a future game, i'd be down.

57 minutes ago, Strullemia said:

IMG_20200331_195838.jpg

I never thought i'd see "using boobs as a helicopter propeller" would be one of the things i see during my time on this Earth. What the fuck.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Me, a Cold Steel fan, walking into this thread and seeing both DragonFlames and Shrimperor wage war on the Cold Steel games

IMG_20200122_203744.jpg?width=651&height

You're a Cold Steel fan? How dare you?!? HOW DAAAAAAAARE YOUUUUUUUUUUUUU?!?!??!?!?!?!

... Is what I'd never ever say.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I see. Yeah, getting processor parts for the Next Forms would be nice. Increases the customization aspect.

Yup!

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I'm pretty sure that was meant in more of a "life" way and less of a "combat" way. Cause they all became at least somewhat respected in the careers they chose to do. So in that sense, yes, they have grown.

Point taken.

I'd still throw my lot in with Shrimperor and say they aren't even close to being worthy of the title of "heroes" the way other JRPG protagonist groups are. And three games into a saga, one that is called "The Legend of HEROES" no less, that sure as hell is not a good thing.

When I started playing, I went into it with the mindset of "okay, old Class VII is done, they had their opportunity to become something worthwile, they ruined it, now it's time for some new faces". That is why I wasn't too excited when old Class VII showed up to steal the spotlight from the characters I felt deserved it more.
And by the end of CS3, new Class VII left me with that very same feeling. Because they are, with one singular exception, never allowed to be anything more than scrubs that need to get bailed out by someone or something. And they constantly have what should be their moments to shine stolen away in increasingly egregious ways.
If I didn't like them so much, I would even go so far as to say there was no point to them existing as major characters in the first place.

22 minutes ago, Armagon said:

But yes, i will agree all the bailouts are annoying.

I talked about this before, so I'll keep it brief, but this plays into my point above. I should not be asking myself "okay, who will ruin this success this time?" when a boss battle ends.

What just utterly baffles me is the thought process behind this. What point is there to always ruin the protagonists' moment other than to completely devalue them and make them seem like weaklings? It's not even that I as the player want to feel like I succeeded. I want the characters to succeed, to have their moments where they're allowed to be awesome. But the Cold Steel games have this weird insistence of coming in and ruining everything with bullcrap like that.
And because they pull this shit constantly, it just becomes close to impossible for me to root for the characters you're supposed to care about.

When I played through CS3, I sometimes felt like part of the writing staff wanted totally different characters to be playable instead and had a grudge against the other part who got their characters made playable instead.

... And I didn't keep it brief. Damn it.

42 minutes ago, Armagon said:

And you can't even summon Valimar for three turns like you could in Cold Steel 2.

Now that I think about it, you're right! Whatever happened to that one, Falcom?
I mean... Not that I missed it, but still.