*instrumentals come on*
Hey, sounds cool! I wonder what he meant by personal tas---
> Rap happens.
NOPE!
> Rap stops.
Well, it's fine I guess.
> Rap comes back on.
NOPENOPENOPENOPENOPE!

And that was an accurate account of me listening to the first three minutes of Xenoblade X's battle theme.

Yep. I was very much not a fan either. I like it now but it took a few years for it to grow on me. Thankfully, not counting the Skell variant of that song, it is the only battle theme in the game to have rap. So for those who really don't like rap, there's light at the end of the tunnel. Plus once you reach Ch.5 you can just overwrite Black Tar with Wir Fliegen because Overdrive is busted.

2 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

You know, on that subject even if they would've only been available in Chapter 6, I think they should've added a few cross-army supports. Then again, perhaps that might as well be the reason they didn't. Oh well.

Really would've been nice to see Supports between the Whitewings and Camus Zeke.

21 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

About that...
AIeESwH.jpg
This is my playtime at the beginning of the game's second to last chapter, at what I think is pretty normal speed. I didn't particularly rush things nor did I intentionally slow down. I just tried to do everything I could.

Wait for real? Damn, before i accidentally skadooshed my previous PC's screen, i was only at 30 hours in Ch.3. Each chapter seemed to last about 10 hours each so i predicted i'd be at around 40-50 hours when i finished the game.

• Replies 180k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Breezy Kanzaki

• Ein

• Caster

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

The difference is night and day. And then you listen to the regular battle themes of the other Xenoblade games and they all nuke Time to Fight from orbit

Time to Fight peculiarly is not by ACE+ either, that could explain its relative weakness. Yet it was the first Xenoblade composition ever revealed. Yoko Shimomura was a known and popular composer at the time, it's understandable they'd open with tracks- the Main Theme, Prologue and Colony 9- by her. ACE+ and Manami Kiyota were an unknown entities until XC1.

14 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yep. I was very much not a fan either. I like it now but it took a few years for it to grow on me. Thankfully, not counting the Skell variant of that song, it is the only battle theme in the game to have rap. So for those who really don't like rap, there's light at the end of the tunnel. Plus once you reach Ch.5 you can just overwrite Black Tar with Wir Fliegen because Overdrive is busted.

Black Tar's Skell variant is somewhat better to me, it feels more chill and if I were the kind of person to get up and dance, I'd go ahead and do it. Being in a Skell is ample reason to be more relaxed, given the noob-friendly power boost it provides over on-foot combat. You're not so struggling just to survive if you've got a Skell.

Uncontrollable is a bugbear in the soundtrack even without rap. A breakup song as the main Tyrant battle theme why?  Though I've warmed up to its disparate nature. And I genuinely like In the Forest.

They absolutely need an option to stop Wir Fliegen override next game, it's to the detriment of the good music it replaces. And Wir Fliegen is upbeat good.

37 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

A breakup song as the main Tyrant battle theme why? 

What's funny is that Uncontrollable feels too hype-inducing to be a breakup song. It's really funny when you think about it.

....A lot of the vocal tracks in Xenoblade X have funny lyrics, the winner of which is Don't Worry.

35 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And I genuinely like In the Forest.

Same. Though i do prefer the instrumental variant, Codename Z.

35 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

They absolutely need an option to stop Wir Fliegen override next game, it's to the detriment of the good music it replaces. And Wir Fliegen is upbeat good.

They won't, considering that the gameplay clips on XenoblaDE's JP website show that Vision Reacts will still override music. And unlike Wir Fliegen, Vision Reacts is bad.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Really would've been nice to see Supports between the Whitewings and Camus Zeke.

That could've been interesting. Looking at things, I'd expect any conversation would end with the Whitewings deciding to keep it a secret he was still alive. Since being amnesiac then it means it's over as far his involvement with Archanea is concerned (or so they think), and it's not like they'd have reason to divulge that anyway.

Either way, if that had happened, I'd then expect a re-remake of MotE to address this particular point that they did met up with each other back in Valentia.

Godzilla Raids Again is such a disapointing sequel to the original 1954 film. Didn't realize that Godzilla's monster fighting career began on such a boring note.

Quoted wrong person by accident at first, so sorry for that!

I still have no clue how to delete embded quote boxes.

Yeah, that's the one. Congrats on beating it!
Bardias is on my "I hate you list" for this battle, as well as a cutscene that should be happening pretty soon (or maybe it already happened, depending on if you finished the chapter or not).

I only won because boss because I could freeze the boss.

The auto heal on bosses is an absolute disgusting gimmick. I have no fucking clue why Cold Steel brought up this thing. There are few bosses in other parts who have this too, but it's rather like earth pulse and only in a certain timeframe.

AIeESwH.jpg
Well, then I would have done about the half yet. This would be longer than both Crossbell games together although I have to admit I would have needed ten more hours for Azure for sure, if I hadn't used a translation guide.

Hence why I say she sucks, too.
As do the rest of the Ironbloods minus Millium.

Lechter is a really cool guy, but you have to play Sky 3rd and both Crossbell games to figure it out.

Edited by Falcom Knight

9 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

R.I.P.

civilization-6-new-frontier-screenshot_6

Forest fire, Oxford University is up in flames in the lower left.

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

They won't, considering that the gameplay clips on XenoblaDE's JP website show that Vision Reacts will still override music. And unlike Wir Fliegen, Vision Reacts is bad.

Vision Reacts is appropriate for its context- you know a nasty enemy attack is coming and should panic to stop it. The first 40 seconds are bad, but then it picks up somewhat, if never becoming great. Considering this randomly pops in on any fight, the vision will get your initial attention and you'll try to break it ASAP, starting on the wrong foot dooms it.

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

....A lot of the vocal tracks in Xenoblade X have funny lyrics, the winner of which is Don't Worry.

Don't worry about the future it's all right

We've got 14% before it's good night.

Never mind the broken grammar and random topic changes, the opening lyric contradicts the pressing issue of time humanity is faced with. The heroes make it to the Lifehold Core with 0.2% power left, enough to sustain the shields for only another 15 minutes, and if the shields went, humanity ought to follow very shortly. But the cutscenes after that announcement alone amount to 36 minutes before backup power is activated. Not sayin' post-shields power couldn't have lasted another hour, though it's pushing the boundaries of plausible.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

10 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

The best character in Mary Skelter, most definitely.

7 hours ago, Falcom Knight said:

The auto heal on bosses is an absolute disgusting gimmick. I have no fucking clue why Cold Steel brought up this thing.

That's the boss saying "You think you've won? Think again!"
But yes, it's bad game design. It frustrated me more than once, as well.

7 hours ago, Falcom Knight said:

Lechter is a really cool guy, but you have to play Sky 3rd and both Crossbell games to figure it out.

I can't stand him, I admit. From the moment he first appeared, he already annoyed me.
And then CS3 came along and pretty much set my dislike for him in stone.

16 hours ago, Armagon said:

Wait for real? Damn, before i accidentally skadooshed my previous PC's screen, i was only at 30 hours in Ch.3. Each chapter seemed to last about 10 hours each so i predicted i'd be at around 40-50 hours when i finished the game.

That's what I initially thought, as well. Believe me, I was genuinely shocked when I opened the menu and saw I had already played over 75 hours with no end in sight.

Edited by DragonFlames

9 hours ago, Falcom Knight said:

I have no fucking clue why Cold Steel brought up this thing

Because Modern Falcom has no idea how to balance anything. So they keep giving players more and more op tools (Break Mechanic is bleh in CS3, and Brave Orders are the most op thing in existence) and try to 'balance' it by giving Bosses annoying stuff

Edited by Shrimperor

9 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Vision Reacts is appropriate for its context- you know a nasty enemy attack is coming and should panic to stop it. The first 40 seconds are bad, but then it picks up somewhat, if never becoming great. Considering this randomly pops in on any fight, the vision will get your initial attention and you'll try to break it ASAP, starting on the wrong foot dooms it.

A solution would've been to make it only play once and then whatever the original battle theme was resumes. And if it's a unique theme, like Tragic Decision or the final boss themes, it shouldn't override it at all.

My problem with Vision Reacts is just the feeling. It's the song that plays when you change the future, something that is a good thing......but the song feels like one of those "you're low on health" songs. And funnily enough, Vision Reacts will play for those scenarios too, or when the party tension gets low iirc.

Vision Reacts just drains the hype out of any fight.

2 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

That's the boss saying "You think you've won? Think again!"
But yes, it's bad game design. It frustrated me more than once, as well.

The worst part is that it's not a one-and-done deal. There's nothing stopping the bosses from Enraging again. I remember being trapped in a boss heal loop until i was finally able to break out of it.

@Interdimensional Observer @Lightchao42 @lightcosmo the official Xenoblade Twitter has officially revealed XenoblaDE's own version of Challenge Mode.

Here's the enterance. Looks identical to the enterance to Xenoblade's 2 Challenge Mode, only it's red

EXySdw7VcAAL3ej?format=jpg&name=large

As you can see, it's in Colony 9 so it looks like we'll have access to it earlier than Xenoblade 2's Challenge Mode. Given Sharla's in the party, i predict Challenge Mode will open up before you reach Colony 6.

EXyScg4VAAEZZra?format=jpg&name=large

For lack of an official term, let's refer to Xenoblade 1's Challenge Mode as the Land of Challenge just like in 2. The Land of Challenge here looks very different though. Oh, and while Shulk is obstructing the view, you initiate Challenges the same way: by talking to the Nopon Archsage.

Unlike Xenoblade 2, there are two kinds of challenges you can have here: free and limited. Free challenges basically let you take on a challenge however you like. Limited challenges place specific limits and restrictions, much like Xenoblade 2's Challenges.

EXySchJU0AEzcrF?format=jpg&name=large

UI looks very similar btw (limited challenges are the red tab).

And of course, you get ranked based on how well you did

EXySdhZVAAA27MB?format=jpg&name=large

And just like in Xenoblade 2, you can exchange the Nopon Crystals you get from this for brand new gear. And because Monolith Soft knows us so well, they used some new swimsuit gear. Although i guess "vacation atire" would be the more appropriate term

EXySdCxUEAEANTv?format=jpg&name=large

EXySdDeUMAAfgjE?format=jpg&name=large

EXySdYNUMAE6Wsq?format=jpg&name=large

EXySdfRUYAAOWOI?format=jpg&name=large

He turns himself into Pineapple Riki. Funniest shit i've ever seen.

49 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Because Modern Falcom has no idea how to balance anything. So they keep giving players more and more op tools (Break Mechanic is bleh in CS3, and Brave Orders are the most op thing in existence) and try to 'balance' it by giving Bosses annoying stuff

This is why I enjoy Liberl and Crossbell games way more.

They are balanced without having any OP skills / abilities on both sides.

Regardless the outcome of Cold Steel III I'm really not excited for IV since I know the same mechanics like brave orders return.

I just hope Hajimari won't turn into similar like Cold Steel III.

31 minutes ago, Falcom Knight said:

I just hope Hajimari won't turn into similar like Cold Steel III.

Hajimari seems to be more like Sky 3rd 2.0 than a Cold Steel game.

Agreed.

Reyn on the other hand looks very boring. I'm not sure what it's supposed to be.

Dunban exudes masculinity, but the light blue radiates femininity to me. I get a "real men wear pink!" fashion defiance vibe from this.

Shulk we've see before, it's sleek and it's fine, and the orange pops in a good way.

The Land of Challenge itself looks prettier to me. Not so flat and empty, with the new ruins-like appearance that fits in with some of the other ruins on Bionis- Satorl and Makna to name what comes to mind.

One of the selling points of the Land of Challenge in XC2, to me at least, was the intraseries crossover trio. I can't see this new Land of Challenge without imagining the possibility of it happening again.

Yet, I'm trying to dump the entire Eryth Sea on my expectations, because as hot as the flames of desire burn, cold reason tells me the likelihood of Elma and Pyrex being playable is extraordinarily supremely slim. They only worked in XC2 because of the Blade system. Adding eighth and ninth playable characters of at least 8 Arts (yet everyone but Shulk has 16) + 1 Talent Art, 3-5 Skill Trees each, and lots of new armor models is too, too much. -Well, maybe not for Elma because you could readily convert her entire Arts lineup from XCX with a few tweaks and rework some XCX passive Skills into Skill Trees, but it's certainly too much for Rex.

At very best, we're realistically looking at some fun fights, maybe costumes and a weapon, and nothing more. Rex could pivot between two modes with Pyra and Mythra, but unlike Elma, he's too needy to make for a cool single foe. And honestly, I'd rather fight Jin in his happy days alongside Lora, and don't forget Haze while we're at it. A 3-on-3, sounds great to me. As for Elma, repeating the same fight from last time would be unoriginal, so either do a 3-on-3 with Lin and Lao, or let Shulk prove his hypothesis that the Monado can cut through the Ares.

I do like the Land of Challenge becoming a franchise norm now. It's good. Although technically it began with XCX's Time Attack, Squad, and Support Missions.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

I think the Challenge Battle has potential for interesting fights. A Faced Mechon gauntlet, a Telethia gauntlet, fighting the cast of XC2, YOU WILL PAY FOR YOUR INSOLENCE's revenge, reenacting the Battle of Sword Valley,

Spoiler

fighting Alvis who makes Avalanche Abaasy look easy, etc.

My pipe dream for the final final battle would be

Spoiler

fighting Alvis, Pneuma, and Malos at the same time

not that I expect that to happen.

@Interdimensional Observer @Lightchao42 @lightcosmo the official Xenoblade Twitter has officially revealed XenoblaDE's own version of Challenge Mode.

Here's the enterance. Looks identical to the enterance to Xenoblade's 2 Challenge Mode, only it's red

EXySdw7VcAAL3ej?format=jpg&name=large

As you can see, it's in Colony 9 so it looks like we'll have access to it earlier than Xenoblade 2's Challenge Mode. Given Sharla's in the party, i predict Challenge Mode will open up before you reach Colony 6.

EXyScg4VAAEZZra?format=jpg&name=large

For lack of an official term, let's refer to Xenoblade 1's Challenge Mode as the Land of Challenge just like in 2. The Land of Challenge here looks very different though. Oh, and while Shulk is obstructing the view, you initiate Challenges the same way: by talking to the Nopon Archsage.

Unlike Xenoblade 2, there are two kinds of challenges you can have here: free and limited. Free challenges basically let you take on a challenge however you like. Limited challenges place specific limits and restrictions, much like Xenoblade 2's Challenges.

EXySchJU0AEzcrF?format=jpg&name=large

UI looks very similar btw (limited challenges are the red tab).

And of course, you get ranked based on how well you did

EXySdhZVAAA27MB?format=jpg&name=large

And just like in Xenoblade 2, you can exchange the Nopon Crystals you get from this for brand new gear. And because Monolith Soft knows us so well, they used some new swimsuit gear. Although i guess "vacation atire" would be the more appropriate term

EXySdCxUEAEANTv?format=jpg&name=large

EXySdDeUMAAfgjE?format=jpg&name=large

EXySdYNUMAE6Wsq?format=jpg&name=large

EXySdfRUYAAOWOI?format=jpg&name=large

Alright, that looks amazing! Hopefully the challenge battles dont drag on like 2's did.

2 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Considering XC2 skipped on including XC1 spoilers with its selection, I'd think they'd do the same here. I'm still disappointed the battle that lets Shulk and Fiora into Alrest has "Dino" in the name, but isn't a Telethia fight in the lower region of Gormott.

5 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

A Faced Mechon gauntlet, a Telethia gauntlet, fighting the cast of XC2, YOU WILL PAY FOR YOUR INSOLENCE's revenge, reenacting the Battle of Sword Valley,

For the bolded, I'd first say that Metal, Bronze, Silver, Jade, and Gold all in the same fight would be exhilarating. Telethia would be good for me to notice again the differences in physical form that the Telethia have.

And Sword Valley akin to that Jin Mor Ardain battleship raid would be suitable, now with the Fortress Mechon the game shows but you don't fight having to be destroyed. But as Sword Valley Dunban had only two Arts, turning it into a standard LoC fight where you've your usual team is acceptable. Or they can do that Riki Nopon marathon solo again and force you to only bring your current Dunban, with help from uncontrollable Dickson and Mumkhar again.

17 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

At very best, we're realistically looking at some fun fights

This is the likely scenario. Remember, Tora had an exclusive Challenge where he fights a bunch of Nopon, two of which were Riki and Tatsu. So fighting characters from other games in the series without having them recruitable already has precedent.

14 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

My pipe dream for the final final battle would be

Reveal hidden contents

fighting Alvis, Pneuma, and Malos at the same time

That would be an amazing bit of fanservice but as mentioned above, that'd be too much into spoiler territory.

8 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Hopefully the challenge battles dont drag on like 2's did.

I don't recall 2's Challenge Battles ever dragging. The only one that i can kinda think of is Jin's Battleship Raid (or whatver it was called) but that's because Jin's Arts have slow recharge rates (which makes sense, he can pull off a full Driver Combo with just two Arts).