4396b3.jpg.ac2c21b08b97dadc43c5e520160c51a4.jpg

Thank you so much for this!

53 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

also, happy birthday @DragonFlames

Thank you!

---

Binged Blue Reflection today.
Here are some impressions:
This game really does tug at my heartstrings with its story. And it's a lot of fun to play, too. If I had to summarize it, it's basically Persona 5 meets Magical Girls pushed through the Atelier aesthetics filter, and slathered with a big old layer of onions. It does have its share of funny moments, too, however, particularly in the side events.
Gist is, you're Hinako, a former ballet dancer who suffered a career injury that caused her to close herself off from the world, freshly transferred to an all-girls high school, where she meets the twin sisters Yuzu and Lime, who bestow the power of a Reflector upon her. A Reflector is a type of warrior (magical girl), that can travel to a world born from the collective unconscious of humanity known as the Common, and help fix people's shattered emotions.
The battle system is nearly identical to Atelier Ryza, only you can manipulate enemy turn speed via skills that have knockback effects (which may be a game breaker if used correctly, as you can practically lock out enemies from ever getting a turn if you do it right). The three main protagonists, Hinako, Yuzu, and Lime, are all really likeable from the get-go, too (they also look like different versions of Rorona, Totori, and Meruru respectively).
And have I mentioned the visuals yet? Because good lord, this game looks gorgeous (spoilers for image size reasons).

38eUxeJ.jpg
2YbHxfl.jpg
X3cMuSs.jpg

Next, some funny stuff.
Hinako is not tech savvy at all:

2ARUney.jpg

And there is apparently a stalk-- I mean, watcher...

yTcu6Xr.jpg

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

btw @DragonFlames I am bit curious after what you wrote about Blue Reflection...

Did you ever watch Madoka?

No, but I heard about it and what it becomes later on. Internet memes don't care about spoilers like that.

Edit: By the way, is that Chrome from Super Neptunia RPG as your pfp?

Edited by DragonFlames

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

OOF

You should still watch it imo xD

Maybe I will if I find the time to do it. Though university has eased off a little, I still have my writing, then the HF movies, and now Blue Reflection has my attention.

tenor.gif

1 hour ago, Strullemia said:

To play with Japanese or English voices, that is the question!

My personal recommendation is English. The British voice acting brings a lot of charm that the Japanese voice acting doesn't replicate (for someone who isn't Japanese anyway). Besides, JP voice acting won't let you understand the mid-battle dialouge, which is one of the best parts of the series. 

38 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

And have i mentioned the visuals yet? Because good lord, this game lloks gorgeous.

I do recall seeing some Gust fans talk about how Blue Reflection has a pretty good art direction. The official art seems to have a watercolor aesthetic.

Edited by Armagon

12 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I do recall seeing some Gust fans talk about how Blue Reflection has a pretty good art direction.

It does. I'd even go so far as to say "pretty good" is a severe understatement.

12 minutes ago, Armagon said:

The official art seems to have a watercolor aesthetic.

That and the character designs is why I drew the comparison to Atelier.
Lime immediately reminded me of Meruru, purely based on looks.

bbX7VvG.jpg

That golden bear thingie is her weapon, btw.

And Yuzu's clothes remind me of Totori's.

W4WQcQI.jpg

I read that Blue Reflection was part of the same development cycle that also brought out Atelier Firis and Nights of Azure 2.

Edited by DragonFlames

Looks like if I will be really busy for the next weeks. I'm glad because this distracts me from gaming a little bit and also will refresh my creativity and writing skills. Tio x Lys was suggested what I was kinda hoping for because I already made my thoughts about these two (cuties). 

Well, played a little SoV today. I'm at the Mila statue at the Thieve's Shrine, ready to promote the villagers. I decided to just go for what is "suggested". So Mercenary Gray, Archer Tobin, and Mage Kliff. Now I'm debating over what to promote Faye to. Unlike the other three, the game doesn't give a suggestion for her. Most of her Cipher cards depict her riding a pegasus, while Heroes has given her and her alt a bow. Except the latter can't be done in-game. That said, she's the only one with access to the Again spell if made a Cleric. Hmm, might just go that route, although... do I really need that spell? Hmm... decisions, decisions...

Ah, hadn't had this kind of contemplation since long. I so missed playing FE...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

4 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Now I'm debating over what to promote Faye to. Unlike the other three, the game doesn't give a suggestion for her. Most of her Cipher cards depict her riding a pegasus, while Heroes has given her and her alt a bow.

I made her a peg knight in my relatively brief time with SoV and she had some great growths. Although I personally prefer Clair as a character, Faye is the better peg knight.

I suppose it's not a bad idea. That said, I ended up choosing Pegasus Knight in the end. I suppose I'll see if I made a good decision. If not... well, there's always those Pitchforks. Not that I plan to use those, either, but who knows.

Well anyway, I only did the Thieves' Shrine and returned to Ram to clear the sidequests. To my surprise, I though the "Defeat twenty brigands" one only applied for the ones within the shrine. Turns out it was just any twenty brigands. I was expecting to make two trips through the dungeon. Well, I still have to, to pick up the reward from the other sidequest, but still, it saves a trip back to Ram. I've yet to head in for the second time as I've stopped for now. 3DS's battery got too low.

Hmm, I'd say, I sometimes wonder if the battery has lost charge capacity or SoV is simply more energy intensive. I used to time my playing sessions. Still do. I've noticed a noticeable drop of battery time. So it's either the game or the battery life, since it has been too months since I last used my 3DS. Maybe even close to a year.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

After refamiliarizing myself with Xenoblade 1's combat after a long time, i can say definitively (heh) that Xenoblade 2 and Torna have much more superior combat. Xenoblade 1's combat is still good but it doesn't feel as satisfying to pull off as Xenoblade 2 and Torna's imo. I do like Future Connected's Union Strike's more than the main game's Chain Attacks though. The one that forces Daze on all enemies is busted.

In other news, i saw some pictures of some of Sharla's new costumes from the XenoblaDE Special Edition artbook.

EZLiZtjWAAE4gDa?format=jpg&name=4096x409

EZLiaRCWsAIQl4r?format=jpg&name=4096x409

EZLibdTXkAAq0p7?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Me thinks someone at Monolith Soft was particularly horny for Sharla.

3 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Lime immediately reminded me of Meruru, purely based on looks.

Reveal hidden contents

I see the resemblence. Though based on looks, i'd imagine she's a lot quieter than Meruru.

4 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

I read that Blue Reflection was part of the same development cycle that also brought out Atelier Firis and Nights of Azure 2

Wouldn't surprise me, given how often Gust puts out games. That reminds me, they haven't announced anything for this year (though the Dusk DX trilogy did come out in January.....God, has it really been that long ago?)

I would prefer if Future Connected let you use all four party members at once, because it feels weird for just one character to be left out. Xenoblade X already had four characters in battle, and Xenoblade 2 only went back to three because, with the Blades, there are actually six characters in battle and eight would be too much. I suppose they wanted Future Connected's battle system to be generally the same as the base game's, or maybe four characters might be imbalanced, but it isn't too much of a big deal either way.

Anyway, Final Fantasy VII is done at around 50 hours and I think it holds up well even today. I didn't really know what I was doing while fighting Bizarro Sephiroth, but he and Safer Sephiroth weren't too bad (especially compared to Dragon Quest XI's final boss). I got tired of fighting the Iron Giants along the way, so I started using Knights of the Round on the first turn they showed up. I imagine the game would've been much harder if I didn't learn every Enemy Skill along the way. Now I'm finally free for when I get Xenoblade... whenever that is.

Now, I can't tell if the level penalties in XenoblaDE have been toned down from the original or if the Ponspector buffs just make fighting higher-leveled enemies easier.

At the very least, I'm not getting utterly destroyed by anything higher than two levels from my current level. But I haven't tried taking on any red-tagged monsters yet so we'll see.

I finished Dragon Quest XI today.
I also beat the final boss without realizing I could weaken him, so... that was definitely... something. 

But despite some gripes with the last act, I had a lot of fun with the game. Glad I picked it up.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Now, I can't tell if the level penalties in XenoblaDE have been toned down from the original or if the Ponspector buffs just make fighting higher-leveled enemies easier.

At the very least, I'm not getting utterly destroyed by anything higher than two levels from my current level. But I haven't tried taking on any red-tagged monsters yet so we'll see.

They seem the same to me. Not that I have an issue with it, but it seems pretty much umchanged.

11 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

They seem the same to me. Not that I have an issue with it, but it seems pretty much umchanged.

Level penalties were my biggest issue with the original so if they did get toned down, I'd be very pleased.

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

I see the resemblence. Though based on looks, i'd imagine she's a lot quieter than Meruru.

That is true. She plays the straight man to her sister's antics and is usually the one to explain things more clearly.
In terms of personality, Yuzu (who is said sister) is a lot closer to your typical Atelier protag.

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

Wouldn't surprise me, given how often Gust puts out games. That reminds me, they haven't announced anything for this year (though the Dusk DX trilogy did come out in January.....God, has it really been that long ago?)

Time flies fast. It's downright ridiculous sometimes.
But yeah, they haven't said anything after Dusk DX released, which is sort of odd, but understandable, when one considers current conditions.

1 hour ago, Caster said:

I finished Dragon Quest XI today.

Congrats!

Okay, did the Hay sidequest, and so Saber's back! I so missed that cat. Hmm, should I bring him back to my active party...

Also, pft, Hay, the one place Madason won't have a warm reception in the future. Ah well, can't win them all I guess.