• Ein

• Caster

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Benice said:

I do feel like Roy was a good character who wasn't well-written,

......wait

giphy.gif

That seems.......paradoxical.

Anyways, i too think Roy isn't that bad. There isn't really anything i'd say is wrong with him. Even gameplay-wise, i never found him to be an issue. Just give him the Boots so he doesn't fall behind.

6 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Ah, finishing Colony 6, I still hate it!

I got all the Colony 6 sectors to Lv.1 and doing so reminded me that Xenoblade 2's collection points are far superior. Don't understand why DE lets you track items but not for quests. And the items needed for Colony 6 can be bought in Time Attack but not right away.

5 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

As of today I'm finished with Future Connected. Hooray!

Reveal hidden contents

It was fun. Though there aren't any grand revelations of things we didn't know before (unless they're about future games, see below), it was still nice to get more content and explore a new location.

It was nice to get a story with Monado Boy and Bird Lady again, and Kino and Nene were likable and endearing. The latter two being Riki's littlepon was a fun addition, and it serves to make Riki more likable too because he's a good dadapon. I spent the last thirty minutes thinking that Tyrea would become playable at some point, since there are Quiet Moments between her and Melia, and then I thought she would be unlocked after beating the final boss. I'm still not sure how those moments are viewable if she never joins the party, but I'll find out eventually.

I get the impression that part of the reason FC exists is because Monolith wanted to include the Bionis Shoulder but didn't want to change the main game in a significant way. Thus, we get a separate story where the Shoulder is playable. It's fun to explore and is big enough to justify the plot being focused entirely there (and some of Alcamoth).

As for the second reason for FC's existence, the nature of the rift and the Fog King is never explained but I don't mind too much because they'll probably be important to the plot of the next game, whether it's Xenoblade 3 or X2 or whatever. And people thought Ontos was sequel bait... I was half-expecting Gael'gar to merge with the Fog King and become the final boss, but it turns out he's dealt with in a sidequest so at least he gets some conclusion. Maybe they should've had Mumkhar survive his apparent death and have him be a recurring antagonist.

As a side note, Shulk never says the word "Fiora" once throughout the entire plot. Are we sure this is the real Shulk?

Nice nice

Spoiler
6 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

I was half-expecting Gael'gar to merge with the Fog King and become the final boss, but it turns out he's dealt with in a sidequest so at least he gets some conclusion.

Honestly, i didn't know this until like yesterday. Makes Gael'gar even worse in my opinion. His motivations are pretty generic "we are the chosen ones" type thing, which would be fine if he was given more time but he just leaves the story.

7 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

As for the second reason for FC's existence, the nature of the rift and the Fog King is never explained but I don't mind too much because they'll probably be important to the plot of the next game, whether it's Xenoblade 3 or X2 or whatever.

I mentioned this to lightcosmo but did you notice that the Fog King is functionly a Gnosis? Interdimensional beings that are completely intangible unless affected by a strong enough wave of certain energy.

The Fog King still looks like a Guildo, even in it's final form, so i'm curious as to what that's all about.

8 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

As a side note, Shulk never says the word "Fiora" once throughout the entire plot. Are we sure this is the real Shulk?

....Oh my God, you're right. He didn't. 

Speaking of Fiora, i do like the little pictures at the end where Shulk returns to Colony 9 and everyone's there to greet him but Fiora's pouting, probably being a little bit upset at being left behind. A nice touch and it's a good way of showing their relationship without words.

Just now, Armagon said:

I got all the Colony 6 sectors to Lv.1 and doing so reminded me that Xenoblade 2's collection points are far superior. Don't understand why DE lets you track items but not for quests. And the items needed for Colony 6 can be bought in Time Attack but not right away.

Yeah, I'm at level 3 for them all so far. And its grind heavy doing the time attack fights over and over. 

25 minutes ago, Benice said:

Maybe I should post a poll to see who people think is the worst lord in the series is, character wise; it'd probably be close between Roy and Sigurd; but I do feel like Roy was a good character who wasn't well-written, whereas Sigurd feels like an FE1 character who causes a game over if he dies in the first generation; in an FE6 remake, I'd love to see his self-doubt be more prevalent, as I think that's supposed to be one of his flaws.

I do not dislike Sigurd. However, I went into FE4 wanting to uphold him as some direction I had wanted a lord to take- one who saw war as a duty and did not dislike it, but was not bellicose akin to a barbarian. Sigurd did not emerge as this notion of a lord I had no real reason to tie himself to in the first place.

My stance on Sigurd is that he himself is not very interesting. However, I consider the circumstances around him to be interesting and unusual by FE's standards. Compared to Roy, who nothing interesting around him, Sigurd is superior, but not on his own merit. Roy and struggle? Not found. Sigurd is thrown into guano and doesn't rise from it pristinely.

Seliph is FE4's poor lord to me. As the story of FE4 collapses in the 2nd Gen, so does it lead character. Seliph expresses little emotion and is played as straight Marth clone, Sigurd at least was an imperfect Marth knockoff whose archetypal (not for FE) naive, loyal soldier behavior got him dead. Seliph is perfect, his life hiding in exile means nothing, he lacks Book 2 Marth's angry face. When Arvis is slain for Sigurd, I didn't do for Seliph's sake, but Sigurd's if anyone's at all. I can't feel for Seliph.

However, I can feel for Leif, Leif is what Seliph should've been- a runaway royal whose life is appropriately shaped by his harrowing experiences. Kvetch as you will about Thracia's gameplay- I ain't talkin' about that- but Leif as a character isn't bad, held back by a few presentation shortages and no supports, his personal story is fundamentally good with a few moments that I'd say hold in script at least even now.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Seliph is FE4's poor lord to me. As the story of FE4 collapses in the 2nd Gen, so does it lead character. Seliph expresses little emotion and is played as straight Marth knockoff, Sigurd at least was an imperfect Marth knockoff whose archetypal (not for FE) naive, loyal soldier behavior got him dead. Seliph is perfect, his life hiding in exile means nothing, he lacks Book 2 Marth's angry face. When Arvis is slain for Sigurd, I didn't do for Seliph's sake, but Sigurd's if anyone's at all. I can't feel for Seliph.

This i agree with 150%

FE4 gen2 is pretty bad in general, and Julius  isn't any better than Anankos. From the political drama in gen1 to good guys vs. Dragon in gen2.

Edited by Shrimperor

You would need to come up with a different type of trading for FE4, open trade wouldn't work and would just make half of the mechanics redundant. And make the game even so much easier than it already is.

27 minutes ago, Armagon said:

......wait

giphy.gif

That seems.......paradoxical.

Ah, yeah, that was poorly explained.

I feel like Roy was a good concept for a character, but it wasn't pulled off well; I got the sense that he deeply doubted himself and felt as if he would let everyone down but it wasn't properly shown and he instead was always perfectly cool and confidant.

27 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Anyways, i too think Roy isn't that bad. There isn't really anything i'd say is wrong with him. Even gameplay-wise, i never found him to be an issue. Just give him the Boots so he doesn't fall behind.

No, he's not an awful lord IMO. And in terms of gameplay, he's certainly bad, but keeping him safe isn't that hard if you're pretty good.

20 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I do not dislike Sigurd. However, I went into FE4 wanting to uphold him as some direction I had wanted a lord to take- one who saw war as a duty and did not dislike it, but was not bellicose akin to a barbarian. Sigurd did not emerge as this notion of a lord I had no real reason to tie himself to in the first place.

My stance on Sigurd is that he himself is not very interesting. However, I consider the circumstances around him to be interesting and unusual by FE's standards. Compared to Roy, who nothing interesting around him, Sigurd is superior, but not on his own merit.

Seliph is FE4's poor lord to me. As the story of FE4 collapses in the 2nd Gen, so does it lead character. Seliph expresses little emotion and is played as straight Marth knockoff, Sigurd at least was an imperfect Marth knockoff whose archetypal (not for FE) naive, loyal soldier behavior got him dead. Seliph is perfect, his life hiding in exile means nothing, he lacks Book 2 Marth's angry face. When Arvis is slain for Sigurd, I didn't do for Seliph's sake, but Sigurd's if anyone's at all. I can't feel for Seliph.

I haven't reached 2nd gen yet, but so far for me, Sigurd's been really flat. I personally think that characters are more important that plot; a good plot with bad characters may not interest me as much as a bad plot with good characters; I find Binding blade to be a lot more interesting than FE4 because a lot of the characters are the kind that resonate well with me; The Ilian characters, Wade and Lot, Fir...I just find the cast more interesting.

10 minutes ago, Benice said:

I personally think that characters are more important that plot; a good plot with bad characters may not interest me as much as a bad plot with good characters;

100% agreed. Good characters can salvage an otherwise bad plot but a good plot can't salvage bad characters.

It's why I don't completely hate Fates' writing like some people, because there are a decent amount of characters I like.

For example, two of my favorite kinds of characters are characters that are just really chill and casual and characters that don't give a shit about what people think of them and Soleil happens to be both of them.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It's hair dye! She bought it at the same late 100s-early 200s store as Guo Huai bought this:

Screen-Shot-2020-06-05-at-3-02-40-PM.png

Mr. *cough coughhh* looks badass for once, what a shame someone is about to murder him.

And Xiahou Ba has a freaking rocket in 8XL, while Deng Ai uses a drill that can shoot bombs in 8 Empires, and Jia Chong looks like a straight up vampire.  And Sima Zhao gives body surf a whole new meaning in one of his attacks.
Jin is wacky. Though that is partly why they are my favorite faction in DW. If only because their theme in 8 is awesome.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Appearently, blonde hair can be traced back to 11,000 years ago. Given China's geographical position, it's not out out of the question.

Oh, I didn't know that! Interesting!
Blonde hair or no, Wang Yuanji is my favorite DW character.

I love the cast of FE4. Not everyone will get the most lines. But the lines most characters have I feel give a good amount of depth to most of them and you can understand how most of them feel about the situation and their personality.
Tailitu is my favorite FE character. I feel like through all her conversations, it's very easy to tell the type of person she is, and what she's hiding from others and her own fears. Especially with what happened to her afterward in Gen 2. It really shows the type of person she is. Love her a lot.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

Nice nice

Reveal hidden contents

Honestly, i didn't know this until like yesterday. Makes Gael'gar even worse in my opinion. His motivations are pretty generic "we are the chosen ones" type thing, which would be fine if he was given more time but he just leaves the story.

I mentioned this to lightcosmo but did you notice that the Fog King is functionly a Gnosis? Interdimensional beings that are completely intangible unless affected by a strong enough wave of certain energy.

The Fog King still looks like a Guildo, even in it's final form, so i'm curious as to what that's all about.

....Oh my God, you're right. He didn't. 

Speaking of Fiora, i do like the little pictures at the end where Shulk returns to Colony 9 and everyone's there to greet him but Fiora's pouting, probably being a little bit upset at being left behind. A nice touch and it's a good way of showing their relationship without words.

Spoiler

I didn't notice at first, but it makes sense when you put it that way. Maybe the Fog King is a member of a Gnosis-like species that will be important to a future game, and the Fog King entered Shulk's universe through the rift.

If I recall, the Gnosis are dead humans who rejected the collective unconscious, though Xenoblade doesn't currently have any concept like that. The Architect says that many people and many things disappeared into other dimensions after his experiment, so the Fog King and its ilk can be humans that ended up in interdimensional limbo and became monsters if the Gnosis angle is maintained (it also connects to the Guldos, which are also mutated humans). Zanza's theme plays during the first phase of the final battle and in Alcamoth, though that might be because it's also a final boss theme.

I also didn't notice that immediately, but also note that Reyn is trying to calm her down while the rest of the party, Otharon, and Juju ignore her and Shulk waves at them obliviously. None of the other main characters appear during the story so it's nice that they at least made cameos during the credits.

The BESTEST Nopon makes a background appearance while Nene and Kino reunite with Riki and Oka, so Monolith Soft clearly knows what the fans want to see.

Edited by Lightchao42

3 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

FE4 gen2 is pretty bad in general, and Julius  isn't any better than Anankos. From the political drama in gen1 to good guys vs. Dragon in gen2.

I politely disagree on Julius -but I don't know much about Eyeball Eater. Though I'm not big on any FE4 villain, other than Travant. Travant got nuance, except for his treatment of Altena, that is the one black mark against him. Kingdom of Thracia's theme is an intoxicating favorite FE track of mine.

3 hours ago, Benice said:

I haven't reached 2nd gen yet, but so far for me, Sigurd's been really flat. I personally think that characters are more important that plot; a good plot with bad characters may not interest me as much as a bad plot with good characters; I find Binding blade to be a lot more interesting than FE4 because a lot of the characters are the kind that resonate well with me; The Ilian characters, Wade and Lot, Fir...I just find the cast more interesting.

Well thats fine. I'm not entirely sure of my own priorities of world vs. plot vs. characters. And don't listen to me, I'm a Hector sympathizer and a Florina critic. Can we agree that they shouldn't be wed?😉 

FE4's cast isn't bad to me, though being pre-Supports (which aren't the be-all-end-all of characterization I shall add) is a major detriment. Yet Lewyn and Azelle are still good let's not speak of Gen 2 Lewyn.

2 hours ago, Caster said:

Tailitu is my favorite FE character. I feel like through all her conversations, it's very easy to tell the type of person she is, and what she's hiding from others and her own fears. Especially with what happened to her afterward in Gen 2. It really shows the type of person she is. Love her a lot.

I don't think I love Tailtiu as much as others do, but I do sincerely like her character for the reasons you say.:Tinny: 

(Yes, I know thats Tine, but close enough.) 

2 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

And Xiahou Ba has a freaking rocket in 8XL, while Deng Ai uses a drill that can shoot bombs in 8 Empires, and Jia Chong looks like a straight up vampire.  And Sima Zhao gives body surf a whole new meaning in one of his attacks.
Jin is wacky. Though that is partly why they are my favorite faction in DW. If only because their theme in 8 is awesome.

Jin is good, though I've only played DW7 and WO3. I guess I could replay one of those for some fun battles with the meritocratic usurpers of the Sima clan in the absence of a good new DW.

And because I don't overly enjoy engaging in- hopefully I keep it polite- criticism in a topic where I come to relax, mind if I use that bodysurfing mention to shill more Xiaomu?

She's great, no shortage of charm.😁

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Can we agree that they shouldn't be wed?

Yes. Hector x Florina is my least favorite FE7 pairing. Their personalities are way too contrasting to feel right and their supports are basically him scaring her until she gets the strength to say thank you. Then they get married. That’s it.

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Well thats fine. I'm not entirely sure of my own priorities of world vs. plot vs. characters.

I can understand a plot taking precedence over characters, actually. I just personally find stories to lose my interest if they don't have a decent cast.

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And don't listen to me, I'm a Hector sympathizer and a Florina critic. Can we agree that they shouldn't be wed?😉 

Oh, I think Hector's a great character. I just dislike him. And I was never really big on Florina until she started to save my ironman.

Bold:

Truer words have never been said.

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

FE4's cast isn't bad to me, though being pre-Supports (which aren't the be-all-end-all of characterization I shall add) is a major detriment. Yet Lewyn and Azelle are still good let's not speak of Gen 2 Lewyn.

Of the cast that I know, I like Talitiu, Azelle and Arden. Lewyn's okay IMO. And it certainly isn't a BAD cast, it's just not my cup of tea. I won't argue that FE6 has a better plot than FE4, I just prefer it. It's the same way with characters. They have many good ones, but they're not my type.

Jin, huh.

Ah yes, I like their DW8 campaign. Specially their Hypothetical Path.

---

So, finally got the ship to travel around the world. Gotta be a long honeymoon, hah. First stop, the casino ship Ventuno. No, I didn't play the slots this time. Rather, the T 'n' T board. Took me four tries. First and third tries I fell on a trapdoor tile. Second try I landed on a "back to the Start" tile at one roll of the die left. Fortunately, two of those tries I got tickets to break even. Though I'll admit on the third I reset the game. Still, got it at the fourth try!

EZyayyuVcAEAw7C?format=jpg&name=large

EZyayzJU0AEDmoM?format=jpg&name=large

EZyayzUUcAAzX-r?format=jpg&name=large

EZya6lRUMAAxATz?format=jpg&name=large

EZyclp0UYAARybZ?format=jpg&name=large

Have i mentioned how gorgeous Xenoblade is?

Bonus: Watch the sunset turn into night while gazing at Makna Falls

2 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I didn't notice at first, but it makes sense when you put it that way. Maybe the Fog King is a member of a Gnosis-like species that will be important to a future game, and the Fog King entered Shulk's universe through the rift.

If I recall, the Gnosis are dead humans who rejected the collective unconscious, though Xenoblade doesn't currently have any concept like that. The Architect says that many people and many things disappeared into other dimensions after his experiment, so the Fog King and its ilk can be humans that ended up in interdimensional limbo and became monsters if the Gnosis angle is maintained (it also connects to the Guldos, which are also mutated humans). Zanza's theme plays during the first phase of the final battle and in Alcamoth, though that might be because it's also a final boss theme.

I also didn't notice that immediately, but also note that Reyn is trying to calm her down while the rest of the party, Otharon, and Juju ignore her and Shulk waves at them obliviously. None of the other main characters appear during the story so it's nice that they at least made cameos during the credits.

The BESTEST Nopon makes a background appearance while Nene and Kino reunite with Riki and Oka, so Monolith Soft clearly knows what the fans want to see.

Spoiler
2 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

If I recall, the Gnosis are dead humans who rejected the collective unconscious, though Xenoblade doesn't currently have any concept like that.

Yeah, so far, the closest we have to that are the Guildos and Xenoblade 1's Telethia. But the circumstances of people turning into those things is vastly different, not to mention they were alive when it happened (probably in the case of the Guildos). 

Previously, i had likened the Ghosts from Xenoblade X to the Gnosis, purely on design. But in terms of function, the Fog King is more like a Gnosis (the one thing we know about the Ghosts is that they can be hit under normal circumstances). Interestingly, the ability of the Fog King to convert normal monsters into Fogbeasts is similar to that virus (?) in Noctilum that makes monsters far more aggresive than they normally are. Mira exists under strange circumstances, perhaps the Fog King is originally from Mira?

And on a different note, i wonder if Alrest is in any danger from Fog Kings (i don't think the one that showed up in Future Connected was a unique individual). Shulk theorized that the rift opened up because the new world is, well, new and a bit unstable. The Experiment affected Alrest, a.k.a, Earth as well and the Conduit left at the end of the game. Although maybe because Alrest is Earth and Earth is where The Experiment happened, it's safe from Fog King danger. I'm just rambling here.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

mind if I use that bodysurfing mention to shill more Xiaomu?

She's great, no shortage of charm.😁

She does look like a fun character. From what i got from some of the few screenshots you posted, she seems to be among the most likable among the cast. Am i right in that assesment?

I think what I found most hilarious of Jin's hypothetical storyline in 8 was that Sima Yi went full "Kids these days!" mode. It's more hilarious considering that, thanks to the stages' opening narrations giving the passage of time, he's already over eighty by the final stage, and is still more or less going: "Bah, do I still have to help you out, my sons?"

Edited by Acacia Sgt