Darros

The Last To Post Wins!

Apparently, Sword and Shield is directly reusing models from X and Y according to dataminers.
Despite having claimed otherwise.
Justified removing over half the Pokémon with the statement that they wanted to redo the models for Sword and Shield.

I'm not mad, just disappointed.

Edited by DragonFlames

29 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

We're in the Denial stage, eh? XD

did you see the reviews? 8+
Gamefreak will get away with everything

Edited by Shrimperor

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

That's the worst part, isn't it?
No matter how much they get f***ed over by devs and publishers alike, people will still praise them to hell and back *looks at Bethesda and Activision-Blizzard*.
Stockholm Syndrome should be counted as an epidemic at this point.

6 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Apparently, Sword and Shield is directly reusing models from X and Y according to dataminers.
Despite having claimed otherwise.
Justified removing over half the Pokémon with the statement that they wanted to redo the models for Sword and Shield.

I'm not mad, just disappointed.

The irony is that no one would mind the reused models (models themselves are fine tbh) and animations if Game Freak had just kept their mouths shut. For the record, reusing animations isn't inherintly a bad thing either. But they said they were "working on improving the models and animations" to justify cutting the Dex and that's clearly a lie.

5 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

I wasn't expecting anything less tbh.

I won't attack those who do want the game or who enjoy it. But i think we should've gotten a lot better. For what SwSh is offering, it is not worth $60. Link's Awakening HD is worth more.

The sad thing is that people are so obsessed with Pokémon that a lot of them don't dare to critisize GF. Bethesda, Bioware, EA, Ubisoft, Blizzard? Sure! THOSE ARE HORRIBLE but when GF messes up they'll get a #ThankYouGameFreak hashtag.

Lol at people thanking a corporate company that just wants their money.

IMG_20191113_130846.jpg?width=281&height

So basically

Ryza_Meme_TemplateSwSh.png?width=554&hei

SwSh is definitly disapointing but some people just take it too far.

5 minutes ago, Strullemia said:

The sad thing is that people are so obsessed with Pokémon that a lot of them don't dare to critisize GF. Bethesda, Bioware, EA, Ubisoft, Blizzard? Sure! THOSE ARE HORRIBLE but when GF messes up they'll get a #ThankYouGameFreak hashtag.

Lol at people thanking a corporate company that just wants their money.

#ThankYouGameFreak had me split because one one hand, yeah it's nice to remincese about Pokemon memories. I even saw one from the guy with all those cool realistic Pokemon artwork, where he said that it's because of Pokemon that he was able to get on so many art projects, including the Detective Pikachu movie. On the other hand, what a coincidence that #ThankYouGameFreak started trending shortly after reports of "low morale at Game Freak" instead of something that would actually warrant a trend like that, such as say, the alternate timeline where Game Freak goes out of buisness. Where was #ThankYouAlphaDream (Mario & Luigi devs) when they went out of buisness?

I should try my hand at Pokefanficting again, or just silently pray that Monolith could swipe Pokemon for a single open world spinoff that shows GF how to do better in certain ways. I'd be fine if said open world was a new region born of a Legendary's dream that spliced together old locations (hence the region being pure wilderness untouched by humans), since Monolith could make the waters of Hoenn, the mountains of Sinnoh, the Viridian Forest, the Dragon's Den, and the whatevs of everywhere else, look better than GF ever could.

I mean, GF has put out a statement hoping people are excited by the free-moving camera, which is a little pathetic when that has existed since Super Mario 64. As times change, workers might need reeducation for job performance, if Nintendo is a buddy-buddy family of different dev teams, the Game Freak should look to others within the company praised for certain things, and ask them how they do what they do. 

On a totally unrelated note:

G9x_l4hR_oAXY7kJ?format=jpg&name=small

I'd play with this mod.

I actually gave up on getting Sword/Shield completely, even second hand.

No Super settings on the battle tower was the last straw.

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

#ThankYouGameFreak had me split because one one hand, yeah it's nice to remincese about Pokemon memories. I even saw one from the guy with all those cool realistic Pokemon artwork, where he said that it's because of Pokemon that he was able to get on so many art projects, including the Detective Pikachu movie. On the other hand, what a coincidence that #ThankYouGameFreak started trending shortly after reports of "low morale at Game Freak" instead of something that would actually warrant a trend like that, such as say, the alternate timeline where Game Freak goes out of buisness. Where was #ThankYouAlphaDream (Mario & Luigi devs) when they went out of buisness?

The "low morale at Game Freak" was never even fully confirmed, was it?

10 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

just silently pray that Monolith could swipe Pokemon for a single open world spinoff that shows GF how to do better in certain ways. I'd be fine if said open world was a new region born of a Legendary's dream that spliced together old locations (hence the region being pure wilderness untouched by humans), since Monolith could make the waters of Hoenn, the mountains of Sinnoh, the Viridian Forest, the Dragon's Den, and the whatevs of everywhere else, look better than GF ever could.

God, a Monolith Soft-developed Pokemon game would be something i buy in a heartbeat.

15 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I mean, GF has put out a statement hoping people are excited by the free-moving camera, which is a little pathetic when that has existed since Super Mario 64.

And the camera doesn't even work that properly, in the Wild Area. Only one set speed and barely any vertical movement.

11 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Sword and Shield honestly has the most barren post-game out of any post-Gen 3 game aside from Let's GO. Disapointing.

Honestly, Galar itself feels pretty barren. A measly 10 routes and a semi-open world area with nothing of interest in it. Fuck, i never thought i'd put a region below Kanto (though Galar still has better Pokemon).

13 minutes ago, Strullemia said:

You're right, it wasn't. It was just a rumor.

I just can't get over the fact that a Pokémon game from 20 freaking years ago had better animations than a Pokémon game on the Switch has nowadays.
I think it's very telling that games like Pokémon Stadium, Stadium 2, Pokémon Snap, Collosseum, and XD: Gale of Darkness still hold up graphically when compared to the new games.

Mario, Zelda and Fire Emblem released games on the Switch that are widely considered to be milestones for their respective franchises. Meanwhile Pokémon does... well...
And it's that contrast that makes this whole ordeal so interesting to me.

17 minutes ago, Nobody said:

My last straw was the new Pokémon. Despite one or two exceptions (the legendaries are pretty cool, even if one is just a rip-off of a boss in Dark Souls 1, and that sheep thing is pretty cute), not a single one of them was even slightly appealing to me. Not to mention the "Galar Forms", which are just... just... no.
It's like Gen VII all over again.

24 minutes ago, Armagon said:

The irony is that no one would mind the reused models (models themselves are fine tbh) and animations if Game Freak had just kept their mouths shut. For the record, reusing animations isn't inherintly a bad thing either. But they said they were "working on improving the models and animations" to justify cutting the Dex and that's clearly a lie.

Yup.

35 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I wasn't expecting anything less tbh.

I won't attack those who do want the game or who enjoy it. But i think we should've gotten a lot better. For what SwSh is offering, it is not worth $60. Link's Awakening HD is worth more.

We should have gotten better, indeed.
Pokémon is one of the biggest franchises in history and all we're getting are mediocre cash-grabs. Then again, that's nearly every AAA game these days.
Next thing you know, they'll release a Pokémon Looter Shooter Battle Royale game with microtransactions, lootboxes, the whole nine yards.

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

IMG_20191113_130846.jpg?width=281&height

So basically

Ryza_Meme_TemplateSwSh.png?width=554&hei

SwSh is definitly disapointing but some people just take it too far.

Indeed they are. Jeez.

Unrelated: Why is Ryza so memeable?

9 minutes ago, Strullemia said:

I'd say it's a PR stunt to get people to fork over money out of pity.

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

God, a Monolith Soft-developed Pokemon game would be something i buy in a heartbeat.

That'd be so fun. I wish Nintendo would lend members from their teams to gamefreak for a better game =/

4 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

My last straw was the new Pokémon. Despite one or two exceptions (the legendaries are pretty cool, even if one is just a rip-off of a boss in Dark Souls 1, and that sheep thing is pretty cute), not a single one of them was even slightly appealing to me. Not to mention the "Galar Forms", which are just... just... no.
It's like Gen VII all over again.

I actually really really liked the new pokemon, which makes it hurt even more lol

Edited by Nobody

1 minute ago, Nobody said:
I actually really really liked the new pokemon, which makes it hurt even more lol

Yeah, I can imagine that.
The decision to jump ship is certainly a lot easier when the main draw of the game (in this case, the Pokémon) is unappealing to someone.

2 minutes ago, Nobody said:
That'd be so fun. I wish Nintendo would lend members from their teams to gamefreak for a better game =/

Sorry for the double post, but we already have Pokémon games not made by GameFreak (with mainline gameplay at that) that I would consider better than any mainline game: Pokémon Colosseum and Pokémon XD, to be exact.
And that's not even getting into the actual spin-offs like Snap, Ranger, and Mystery Dungeon (up to and including Sky at least).

35 minutes ago, Armagon said:

You're right, it wasn't. It was just a rumor.

Right, and people jumped on it. I'm certain that if another developer had news similar to this, that the reaction wouldn't have been that big.

33 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I'd say it's a PR stunt to get people to fork over money out of pity.

It wouldn't surprise me.

24 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Sorry for the double post, but we already have Pokémon games not made by GameFreak (with mainline gameplay at that) that I would consider better than any mainline game: Pokémon Colosseum and Pokémon XD, to be exact.
And that's not even getting into the actual spin-offs like Snap, Ranger, and Mystery Dungeon (up to and including Sky at least).

Maaaaaaaan, that game made me feel more than any of the stories in the mainline games did.

I mean fuck when this started playing ;_;

And then the events after that....the endgame messed with my emotions so much and when Eplorers of the Sky released they only made it worse by including Special Mission 5. Seeing Dusknoir's arc and Grovyle holding Celebi ;_;

Man, and I thought Dialga's Fight to the Finish already sounded great...

... and it still gives me Terranigma vibes, no matter the version, pft.

---

Also, man, I can't believe it took me until now that the problem I had with my laptop since... too long, was due to the antivirus. It was using up like 50% of the CPU, now nuts!

Edited by Acacia Sgt

It's kinda funny i bought a 3DS to play pokemon, and when i get a switch the only ninty game i don't want to get is pokemon kek.

Then again, main reason why i want a switch is FE16

2 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Mario, Zelda and Fire Emblem released games on the Switch that are widely considered to be milestones for their respective franchises.

People do complain of frame rate issues in BotW, and not enough music, and too empty. And blah de blah de blah for 3H, and some people don't love SMO either.

But, all of these games did something right in the old way, or different and not bad in itself. Generally speaking that is, individual players can always differ, and not always for bad reasons.

And that's not even getting into the actual spin-offs like Snap, Ranger, and Mystery Dungeon

Has anyone found textures or some other little detail from Stadium or Snap or Hey You Pikachu! that is better than what SwSh has? I don't mean to bash SwSh this way, I'm just curious from the Ocarina of Time tree comparisons.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

I've come to the realization that when I loved Pokemon, besides the Pokes themselves, it was the world that got me. Not the storyline, not the people, those could be nice, but I think it might been exploring the world which I loved the most, which is why I'd like a true open-world Pokemon game.

Monolith would be able to deliver me and maybe three 'mons of my choosing following me in the field (or if I'm with two other trainers, one Poke), climbing, flying, and surfing all over the place. (Did they ever bring back the whole "lead Pokemon can follow you around" thing of HG/SS?) XC2 is chibi-enough that the aesthetic would almost perfectly work for a more "mature" but still lighthearted and child-friendly Pokemon experience. 

Unique Monsters/Tyrants would end up being replaced with awesome rare Pokemon. Weather conditions, which XC1 and X already used to control the spawning of certain enemies, could easily bring out certain Pokemon. "Intense Sunlight" could bring out the Sunkerns and Glooms, besides maybe spawning Groudon/Solgaleo in the postgame. And, every little area could be cleverly thought out to include different Pokemon, and perhaps be designed with those Pokemon in mind.

Those are pretty basic XC things, but when you replace all the ordinary monsters with Pocket Monsters, things could really pop. A Gaur Plain of Armus is one thing, a "Rolgren Plain" of Tauros, Miltanks, Poochyenas, Starlys and one pesky roaming Darmanitan is gloriously another, by virtue of Pokemon being all about the Pokemon. Whereas the Xenomonsters fill the beautiful plain to make it not empty and therefore feel natural, the life of Pokemon would be as significant as the beautiful plain itself.

I was thinking that besides: exploration, catching, battling, some obligatory crafting element, and maybe those old Hoenn-Sinnoh Contests, that they could add another gameplay aspect. I read a plot summary of Undertale once, and its whole promotion of pacifism wouldn't be out of place in a Pokemon game. Rather than KO/catch wild Pokes all the time, why not include the option to calm them?

You wouldn't catch them, nor would you get a lot or any normal EXP for doing so, but you'd adjust the aggressive wilds to your presence and they'd stop attacking you unless you attacked/tried to catch them. You'd need an arsenal of pacifist items and techniques added for this to work, and being reminded of XD's Purification Chamber, why not allow your own Pokemon to assist in the calming of wilds? Since any open world game would have to have plentiful enemy drops, using pacifist techniques on a harmless wild Happiny could still yield benefits if it decided to treat you with some materials. Would the Ranger games be worth drawing influence from here -aren't they about using wild Pokemon to temporarily help you?

Until Monolith can snatch Pokemon for a project, I'll just imagine myself spraypainting a Millesaur green and brown, and using giant leaves from Noctilum and some bananas, to make it look like a Tropius. My imaginary self would probably be squished by the agitated Millesaur, oh well.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Unrelated: Why is Ryza so memeable?

I came up with the meme template at 1 in the morning.

2 hours ago, Nobody said:

Same. There's so many cool ones and i appreciate the Galarian forms being more spread out as opposed to just being Kanto pandering. I even like how some have Galarian-exclusive evolutions. It's been a long time since we got evolutions to already existing Pokemon that wasn't Eevee.

My knowledge only extends to the Mystery Dungeon games but the Explorer games especially also had better soundtracks. 

1 hour ago, Strullemia said:

I just took a quick look at the price of Pokémon Soulsilver/Heartgold and damn...they’re worth as much as FE PoR/RD.

What? How? It's not like those games were rare.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Has anyone found textures or some other little detail from Stadium or Snap or Hey You Pikachu! that is better than what SwSh has?

Well when it comes to move animations, Stadium definitly has SwSh beat.

You know, sometimes i feel like mainline Pokemon should've never gone 3D. Oh God. Am i.......a Sonic fan?

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Monolith would be able to deliver me and maybe three 'mons of my choosing following me in the field (or if I'm with two other trainers, one Poke), climbing, flying, and surfing all over the place. (Did they ever bring back the whole "lead Pokemon can follow you around" thing of HG/SS?) XC2 is chibi-enough that the aesthetic would almost perfectly work for a more "mature" but still lighthearted and child-friendly Pokemon experience. 

Unique Monsters/Tyrants would end up being replaced with awesome rare Pokemon. Weather conditions, which XC1 and X already used to control the spawning of certain enemies, could easily bring out certain Pokemon. "Intense Sunlight" could bring out the Sunkerns and Glooms, besides maybe spawning Groudon/Solgaleo in the postgame. And, every little area could be cleverly thought out to include different Pokemon, and perhaps be designed with those Pokemon in mind.

Those are pretty basic XC things, but when you replace all the ordinary monsters with Pocket Monsters, things could really pop. A Gaur Plain of Armus is one thing, a "Rolgren Plain" of Tauros, Miltanks, Poochyenas, Starlys and one pesky roaming Darmanitan is gloriously another, by virtue of Pokemon being all about the Pokemon. Whereas the Xenomonsters fill the beautiful plain to make it not empty and therefore feel natural, the life of Pokemon would be as significant as the beautiful plain itself.

I was thinking that besides: exploration, catching, battling, some obligatory crafting element, and maybe those old Hoenn-Sinnoh Contests, that they could add another gameplay aspect. I read a plot summary of Undertale once, and its whole promotion of pacifism wouldn't be out of place in a Pokemon game. Rather than KO/catch wild Pokes all the time, why not include the option to calm them?

You wouldn't catch them, nor would you get a lot or any normal EXP for doing so, but you'd adjust the aggressive wilds to your presence and they'd stop attacking you unless you attacked/tried to catch them. You'd need an arsenal of pacifist items and techniques added for this to work, and being reminded of XD's Purification Chamber, why not allow your own Pokemon to assist in the calming of wilds? Since any open world game would have to have plentiful enemy drops, using pacifist techniques on a harmless wild Happiny could still yield benefits if it decided to treat you with some materials. Would the Ranger games be worth drawing influence from here -aren't they about using wild Pokemon to temporarily help you?

20191113_172353.jpg

All this talk about Monolith Soft developing Pokemon has me thinking: if Pokemon is gonna have a Wild Area in the next game (assuming it's not a one-off gimmick but it probably is), Game Freak should at least contract Monolith Soft to do that part of the game. Because in concept, the Wild Area is a good idea. But it's so barren, falling victim to the "big but empty" syndrome, something Monolith Soft has been able to avoid (some people call BotW empty, personally i disagree since i had a lot of fun exploring the world there).

So yesterday on Neppit someone posted Neptune from Super Neptunia holding Histy tome, and someone asked if Neptune could cast Magic with it. Being the FE fan that i am, i made this:

Neptune

Class: Swordmage

Weapon Ranks:

Swords A Wind Magic D Fire Magic D Thunder Magic D Staves E Light Magic S*

Skills:

Leader Aura: +20Hit/Avo to nearby allies.

Histoire: The World's Tome. Gives access to S Rank Light Magic. +10 Magic, +20% Mag growth. Since everything is 3, S Light Magic has a 3 turn recharge time.

Elemental Blades: Can use Magic Blades.

HDD: has access to HDD. Grants Flight and Bonus stats/Authority.

No Caps: Stats and Damage don't have a Cap.

Pudding: Pudding Pudding.

Stat Growth Rates: HP 75% STR 70% DEF 40% MAG 15%(+20%) RES 10% SPD 50% SKL 40% LCK 80%.

Authority: 5 (HDD: 10)

Supports: Nepgear, Plutia, Uzume, B-Sha, IF, Compa

XD

33 minutes ago, Armagon said:

You know, sometimes i feel like mainline Pokemon should've never gone 3D. Oh God. Am i.......a Sonic fan?

Sonic and Pokemon are entirely different matters in 3D though. Sonic has to contend with gameplay changes, Pokemon remains the same in any dimension.

3D Sonic adding Z-axis movement and the need of a good camera when you're rolling around at the speed of sound. Sonic fans also bicker over 2D sidescrolling and 3D linear platforming (not-SM64/S/O style), with Sega trying to cater to both.

Meanwhile, Pokemon did have the technical load increased from going 3D, but the fundamentals remained the same. 3D does nothing to affect battles, nothing to affect catching, and its impact on exploring is minimal when Pokemon was top-down beforehand and the camera angle wasn't quite changed the way Zelda went from top-down ALttP to behind-the-back OoT. Pokemon going 3D was like Final Fantasy going 3D, it didn't change the gameplay whatsoever (besides shrinking the usual combat team from 4 to 3), and whilst the graphics have aged terribly, FFVII and VIII for their time did spectacularly nail the presentation.

Sonic's failures are understandable. Speed and the extra dimension are difficult to keep in a stable emulsion, they want to separate and leave Sonic falling into a glitched bottomless void that loses him a life. Pokemon is just what happens when an old team used to working on weak portable systems, fails to rise to new and far great technical heights of a home-hybrid console with the power of a smartphone, combined with a lack of time b/c somebody at GF or TPC is greedy.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Speaking off a good Pokémon game. I saw these screenshots on Resetera and they look pretty good, kind of the game a lot of people wanted.

UKikJ9n.jpg

This looks pretty damn cool.

39 minutes ago, Armagon said:

My knowledge only extends to the Mystery Dungeon games but the Explorer games especially also had better soundtracks. 

What? How? It's not like those games were rare.

Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky has some fantastic OST. I just love it.

---

I honestly have no clue. Maaaaaaybe it's because it's the only DS game that has something like the pokewalker?