Strategy Videos

I know I wrote my guide. But, hey, considering WiFi is pretty much dead, and my guide is pretty clumsy to update. I decided to start making some videos to help explain key concepts.

Here are a few short ones, that I might turn into guides later:

Scouting - It's really hard to explain the concept of brute force (poke) scouting. So here's a battle in practice mode where I use it to scout out the enemy.

You can see, I can find exactly where the enemy is by exhaustively trying all possible movement locations for my unit.

On top of this, I use "counting" to speed things up. I know where the enemy starts, and I can therefore know where to expect them to end up.

Here is a typical start to map 6. It shows how to use choke points and warp.

There are subtleties to it, do you use them all?

• The first time I move the horseman, I keep it 1 space away from the wall. To avoid it being revealed on the enemy turn.
  • I don't use pure waters on the first turn, I know no sage will be able to attack me, so I save it for turn 2
  • I don't warp on turn 1, since this would waste movement for the swordmaster and sage
  • I equip the bow on the horseman. This gives the highest chance of a counterattck.
  • I move the bottom units before warping, in case the enemy blocks them in, I can warp the swordmsater down there
  • I move the swordmaster to the edge of the sage's movement, so that the sage can warp and not waste movement.
  • I leave the units 1 space out of the doorway. This helps ensure that even if the horseman or the swordmaster is killed, the enemy unit will still be in vision range.
  • I don't move units up the the enemy swordmaster, tthis means if I kill the swordmaster, I'm stil hidden in fog.
  • The sage is kept 1 space away from the outer wall, to avoid being spotted.
  • I move the furthest units first, so that if they end up near an enemy unit, my others will be in range. I don't move to their maximum movement.

These two are really basic. Probably don't even need to be videos.

It just shows using some lateral thinking to avoid "unbeatable" tactics. Notably, map 3 and the "first turn kill" tactics. (even though in the map 3 vid I still end up on top, that's because the AI sucks)

Basically, card choice isn't something to forget about.

There are a LOT more things to consider here, I'd especially like to make more videos and player 2 (but I can't do it as easily, since practice mode is only player 1)

Map 5 in particular has some very nice strategic value for player 2.

Edited by Sylvan

^I bet you will have forgotten that in a week.

Nice videos, although basic stuff. If you want to make p2 videos, I'll gladly play with you :) Or, you know, if you want to play just for the fun.

What kind of stats/chars does your Horseman team have? :o Everything forged? (damn I really need to finish up making that RNG-team)

IMO using gravity just to counter a few specific and not widely used strategies is kinda a waste.. Sure it has nearly no downsides either (unless the other team specifically was a gravity-team-counter, but wtf is the purpose), but you'd probably make much more out of some other cards if your metagame doesn't include knowing the other team's card and char classes.

^I bet you will have forgotten that in a week.

Nice videos, although basic stuff. If you want to make p2 videos, I'll gladly play with you :) Or, you know, if you want to play just for the fun.

What kind of stats/chars does your Horseman team have? :o Everything forged? (damn I really need to finish up making that RNG-team)

IMO using gravity just to counter a few specific and not widely used strategies is kinda a waste.. Sure it has nearly no downsides either (unless the other team specifically was a gravity-team-counter, but wtf is the purpose), but you'd probably make much more out of some other cards if your metagame doesn't include knowing the other team's card and char classes.

... probably if the topic just dies.

The only purpose of Gravity is avoiding or Counteirng being Player two in the Coliseum 3. Of course can also be used to screw your opponents Scout tactics, specialy when you suck at scouting. Also it is a strategy... that does not mean he will use it often (specialy with that High mov units team... He is a Champion Sccouting after all).

He plays to win... that means his character have the 6 capped stats, and weapons forged to their Max Mt, Crit and High Hit.

I would like to encourage Sylvan to play FE12 wi-fi... I know you do not want BUT you have to see that with your own eyes. Also you could update your FE12 guide part.

On that team, max everything bar mag and res. I usually don't use it to fight people though.

Just Remember the videos to make cheaters/hackers disconnect please

I'd need record an actual battle to do this, obviously I can't force a disconnect in practice mode, but I'll try on the weekend.

I would like to encourage Sylvan to play FE12 wi-fi... I know you do not want BUT you have to see that with your own eyes. Also you could update your FE12 guide part.

I don't own FE12. I've played it on computer, which can't actually play WiFi. My guide was a prelim thing, to be updated once the game was released overseas... which never happend =/

Yeah, I was already fearing you had capped RES lol :D

Does it also have good supports? (mostly meaningless but the crit can sometimes barely make a difference)

When I finish my team, I'd love to battle against it. :)

Aren't there emulators which provide Wi-Fi support? I doubt that all hackers are only using AR.

Come to IP chat if you want to play.

Edited by KALLLucas

Does it also have good supports? (mostly meaningless but the crit can sometimes barely make a difference)

Yes, and that's the only reason I used RNG abuse at (all my other teams aren't RNG abused). The difference in supports is enough to allow the team to work without Dazzle as their card.

Aren't there emulators which provide Wi-Fi support? I doubt that all hackers are only using AR.

They use flash cards, which aren't emulators.

Here's an old vid about the first turn kill, I may as well post it here:

Come to IP chat if you want to play.

I'd love to, but don't have time this morning.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is one with the hacker DC in it. I started recording as son as I found out they were a hacker. (18 move swordmaster) sorry about the low quality, I wasn't set up to record like I usually do (black out the lights to minimise reflections). This is probably the best I'll get.

Although I haven't recorded the top screen, most of the necessary stuff is on the bottom.

Commentary:

The first enemy attack with abel comes at 1 space away from Tiki. You can hear, they use mercurius. This tells me on their screen, able is supposed to be next to Tiki. This is all the info needed to force a DC.

In my turn, you can see I try and scout past the spot Tiki would have been attacked in on their screen. This forces my unit to ! against their unit on their screen, but on my screen I end up far away.

You can see this in effect instantly. The next time their Abel attacks Nagi, the battle terminates without any damage being dealt. I imagine on their screen, Nagi has taken damage.

I then zoom out to show the top screen, you can see all max stats, also you can see briefly, that their unit isn't actually attacking mine. I'm taking no damage. (I could force the DC now, but I waited to be sure)

Again, they attack. I watch the direction my units face when being attacked. This tells me were to move though on my turn. On my turn I move though the space next to my units, since they were using 1 range weapons in their turn.

NOTE: I have not attacked them at all up till now. This is important to stop my game from freezing.

Back to their turn, they attack me again, it does nothing. (except for their Xane, which is negligible, I can force the DC at any time with Nagi)

To be sure, I scout some more.

Now, the important bit, they take the flag. This tells me both catria and nagi (who should be on their screen) are dead on their screen. They have stopped attacking. Also, neither of my sages are attacked, because the units next to my sages on my screen are next to the castle on their screen.

I let it go a couple turns to be sure. Sure enough, none of their units even move in response to mine, and they re-take the castle without being on it.

Here comes the DC. All I have to do is launch an attack with Nagi or Catria. Both those units are dead on their screen, but still alive on mine. Attacking with a dead unit will crash the game.

Sure enough, they have disconnected!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Here is the general overview:

Watch which weapons they use to attack.

Anything that doesn't look right (eg 1 rage weapon from more than 1 range) gives you information to scout with.

Move through those squares. Do not attack their units*.

Repeat this until they stop attacking a particular unit. (this tells you they have 'killed' this unit)

Attack them with the 'killed' unit, and they will disconnect.

* you can, but it's more risky, since you can take damage this way, and if you take damage it greatly reduces the chances of staying alive on your screen, dead on theirs. If you launch an attack, chances are you can force yourself into a disconnect (rather than forcing them into one) Either way doesn't really matter, since you won't record a loss. But the hacker will record a win, which usually feeds their ego seeing a player rage quit against them (that's just what it looks like to them).

Edited by Sylvan

INDEED *Hands Down* Thank you Sylvan for accepting my request.

So It is clear now...

Notes in my mind:

Strange... He should have the 32 Mov, that means he did not want to crash the match.

Like you said the Game only follows up to 14 mov or so (14 wich would be a Flying dragon Mov with boots FE12...)

The DC happens when you attack with what in the Opponent DS is a Death Unit.

You Know you the D/C is happening when in the Beginning of the opponent fase the time is not running.

Also a topic with a title strategy videos suggest that you will show (hopefully) more videos. I am looking foward to them (however I sold my DS in the past Holydays so no playing Wi-fi in a while), I hope in the future people remember this.