Battle Before Dawn sucks

Aethereal

I'm in the middle of an S-Rank run as a challenge from my roommate, and I'm going absolutely insane trying to get to Jaffar in time to save him. I'm reaching him on about turn 6, and he's died on that turn every single time I've done this, with a large variety of strategies. My biggest problem is that I don't feel capable of reaching him on turn 5 because of Maxime. I've pretty consistently had a paladin pull Maxime on turn 3, with some good Ninian use gotten the kill on turn 4, and then gone from there. Except if I could do this same thing without using my paladin and just had him rush ahead, I think I could reach Jaffar on turn 5. Is there any way of killing Maxime easily I'm not thinking of? Anybody else who's S-Ranked mind sharing what they did? I just don't remember Jaffar being this suicidal. =X Thanks ahead of time for any feedback.

Isn't an S ranking still possible without bothering with NoF? If so and trying to save Jaffar is proving to be annoying, then I say leave Sonia to rot in her temple.

10 turns for 5 star tactics

1900 EXP for 5 star EXP

99500G for 5 star funds

You do get the Fell Contract but it doesn't seem like the best chapter to pad your rankings overall. Still, I'd want to do that for a sense of completion.

Have you tried burning RNs so that Jaffar dodges more things?

Have you tried burning RNs so that Jaffar dodges more things?

Yeah, it's not that he's not dodging enough generally, what's happening is he's charging straight into that bottom room, and on turn 6 gets attacked by a hero, mercenary, sniper, swordreaver fighter, a handful of mages, a monk, and a shaman. I'm pretty close to giving up on Jaffar as is.

You do get the Fell Contract but it doesn't seem like the best chapter to pad your rankings overall. Still, I'd want to do that for a sense of completion.
Yeah, basically this. Part of the "challenge" was to recruit every character and enter every sidequest. (with the exception of 19xx) I don't need to stick to those rules, but I'd like to.

10 turns for 5 star tactics

That's only NM. HM is a whopping 28 turns. NoF is very good to go to in an HM S rank run (which I assume this is if Jaffar keeps dying) just for that. In my HHM S rank run I saved a full 14 turns there.

Is there any way of killing Maxime easily I'm not thinking of?

Halberd!Sain if he avoids being doubled by the extra weight of the axe. Ferried Hero!Raven/Harken with a Longsword/Lancereaver/Bravesword.

That's only NM. HM is a whopping 28 turns. NoF is very good to go to in an HM S rank run (which I assume this is if Jaffar keeps dying) just for that. In my HHM S rank run I saved a full 14 turns there.

Yeah, it's hard mode. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Maxime is a real asshole on HHM

Very much.

Halberd!Sain if he avoids being doubled by the extra weight of the axe. Ferried Hero!Raven/Harken with a Longsword/Lancereaver/Bravesword.

My Sain got speed screwed and I never promoted him because of it. Raven seems to be my only real option, just stinks because I've been using him to kill Ursula. I've been thinking about forcing a Luna crit, but I hate crap like that.

Edited by Aethereal

Ursula is easy enough to kill with just about anyone if you can get to her before her Bolting runs out. I usually have someone with Lances do it because of the Mercenaries around her. Florina is my main pick for that.

Marcus with a pure water boost and a lance can usually take out her mercenaries, and then switch to a brave weapon to destroy Ursula

This might've been a better idea tbh, but I didn't feel a big need to get any one from the right side over to the left. Anyways, I just finished it, and had Fiora deal with Ursula after Marcus took out the Mercs around her, both with a pure water/barrier boost. Slight change from your idea. Halberd!Raven handled Maxime, which let Kent reach Jaffar before he could suicide into the 15~ enemies in the bottom room. Gotta love that NPC AI.