What did Sephiran do?

Jotari

Due to the nature of this thread it will have Major Spoilers about pretty much the entire plot of Radiant Dawn and a portion of Path of Radiance. So just a spoiler warning if you haven't played them yet.

I understand Sephiran enticed Ashnard to carry out all his misdoings in Path of Radiance but what part did he play in Radiant Dawn? The war that nearly woke Yune was started by the Laguz. They were the aggressors, Bengnion were just defending themselves. And manipulating Daein to join the conflict. That seemed a lot more like the work of the senate. Was Sephiran really manipulating the people who caused the Serenes Massacre, ie the reason he's become so intent on erasing humanity. And if so what was the point of having himself arrested? It seems like all Sephiran did in Radiant Dawn is get arrested, wait for everybody else to free Ashera and then go and serve her. Pretty much exactly the same as Dheginsea.

Edited by Jotari

I understand

Sephiran enticed Ashnard to carry out all his misdoings in Path of Radiance but what part did he play in Radiant Dawn? The war that nearly woke Yune was started by the Laguz. They were the

aggressors, Bengnion were just defending themselves. And manipulating Daein to join the conflict. That seemed a lot more like the work of the senate. Was Sephiran really manipulating the people who caused the Serenes Massacre, ie the reason he's become so intent on erasing humanity. And if so what was the point of having himself arrested? It seems like all Sephiran did in Radiant Dawn is get arrested, wait for everybody else to free Ashera and then go and serve her. Pretty much exactly the same as Dheginsea.

I personally have always thought on the same line as you about this, but I feel like it may be more complex things going on that he set up perfectly to serve his ends.

GIGANTIC ASS SPOILERS AHEAD

1. Sephiran sent the Black Knight to allow the Dawn Brigade to succeed in taking over Daein (the BK literally came at the last second to save Micky's life); this has two seperate effects.

- Allows for the set up of a puppet dictator via the use of a blood pact (the Senate did the actual blood pact, but Sephiran obviously knew what was planned).

- Ensures the survival of Rafiel, who communicates the information that the Senate ordered the extermination of the herons and sparked the great war. I suspect that Sephiran surmised that Rafiel would eventually commincate this to the laguz; it being pure coincidence seems unusual to me (at the very least, Sephiran took full advantage of a massive stroke of luck).

2. Sephiran sent the Black Knight (under his other guise, Zelgius) to ensure that the laguz would not succeed in defeating Begnion after Ike and his mercs are instrumental in crushing the incompetent generals that Begnion originally had guarding the border. This, of course, prolonged the war, allowing Sephiran to manipulate the Senate into pulling the strings of their new puppet regime (one that had the support of Daein as defenders of freedom, in all its great irony) and eventually causing Ashera to awaken and start her apocalypse (Sephiran, of course, is here to proclaim to her about just how violent all people are, conveniently forgetting to explain how he started it all).

3. Possibly is behind the assassination attempt of Senaki. I wasn't exactly clear about this one -- in plain sight, his servant Zelgius is there to save her life, and it seems like Sephiran supports her. However, this seems odd considering his plans; it alienates him against the Senate, who he needs to be buddy-buddy with in order to manipulate them. It may be that he drummed up a plan with the Senate for them to pretend to try to assassinate her, have him swoop in and "save" her, making her trust him completely.

The Senate is probably thinking that they could use Sephiran to then control Senaki and use the war to gain absolute power (Senaki's pro-Laguz standpoint is obviously unpopular when Begnion citizens -- who already have prejudices against Laguz -- are in constant fear for being torn to shreds by the "savages"). Sephiran, in reality, is using the situation to control Senaki in addition to the Senate, giving HIM total control of a superpower without anybody actually knowing it, which is brilliant.

4. The obvious things past Part 4.

GIGANTIC ASS SPOILERS OVER

...So what didn't he do? It's not like he's some one-dimensional idiotic villain that goes out and says "OH HAI THERE GUIZ THIS IZ WHAT I DO TO DESTROY THE WOOOORRRRLLLLDDDD". He's far more subtle, using the Black Knight/Zelgius to do what he cannot as High Chancellor.

The war that nearly woke Yune was started by the Laguz. They were the aggressors, Bengnion were just defending themselves.

You missed the bit where a Laguz messenger sent to Begnion is assassinated - that's what started the war between Begnion and the Laguz in the first place.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

I don't think sephiran did anything directly (atleast not most things). Rather he set people up and he knew how they'd react, this is probably how he started the Mad King's war (unless i'm mistaken and it wasn't sephiran who told Ashnard about the medallion).

Edited by SlayerX

GIGANTIC ASS SPOILERS AHEAD

1. Sephiran sent the Black Knight to allow the Dawn Brigade to succeed in taking over Daein (the BK literally came at the last second to save Micky's life); this has two seperate effects.

- Allows for the set up of a puppet dictator via the use of a blood pact (the Senate did the actual blood pact, but Sephiran obviously knew what was planned).

- Ensures the survival of Rafiel, who communicates the information that the Senate ordered the extermination of the herons and sparked the great war. I suspect that Sephiran surmised that Rafiel would eventually commincate this to the laguz; it being pure coincidence seems unusual to me (at the very least, Sephiran took full advantage of a massive stroke of luck).

2. Sephiran sent the Black Knight (under his other guise, Zelgius) to ensure that the laguz would not succeed in defeating Begnion after Ike and his mercs are instrumental in crushing the incompetent generals that Begnion originally had guarding the border. This, of course, prolonged the war, allowing Sephiran to manipulate the Senate into pulling the strings of their new puppet regime (one that had the support of Daein as defenders of freedom, in all its great irony) and eventually causing Ashera to awaken and start her apocalypse (Sephiran, of course, is here to proclaim to her about just how violent all people are, conveniently forgetting to explain how he started it all).

3. Possibly is behind the assassination attempt of Senaki. I wasn't exactly clear about this one -- in plain sight, his servant Zelgius is there to save her life, and it seems like Sephiran supports her. However, this seems odd considering his plans; it alienates him against the Senate, who he needs to be buddy-buddy with in order to manipulate them. It may be that he drummed up a plan with the Senate for them to pretend to try to assassinate her, have him swoop in and "save" her, making her trust him completely.

The Senate is probably thinking that they could use Sephiran to then control Senaki and use the war to gain absolute power (Senaki's pro-Laguz standpoint is obviously unpopular when Begnion citizens -- who already have prejudices against Laguz -- are in constant fear for being torn to shreds by the "savages"). Sephiran, in reality, is using the situation to control Senaki in addition to the Senate, giving HIM total control of a superpower without anybody actually knowing it, which is brilliant.

4. The obvious things past Part 4.

GIGANTIC ASS SPOILERS OVER

...So what didn't he do? It's not like he's some one-dimensional idiotic villain that goes out and says "OH HAI THERE GUIZ THIS IZ WHAT I DO TO DESTROY THE WOOOORRRRLLLLDDDD". He's far more subtle, using the Black Knight/Zelgius to do what he cannot as High Chancellor.

No. Just no.

...Read this and then come back.

I wrote it. Like 2 years ago.

To add to the article:

MEGA SPOILERS INCOMING

- Sephrain genuinely loved Sanaki. After all she (as well as Micaiah) is his blood relative through his relationship with Altina.

- The terms of Ashera's deal had fine print only Lehran knew about. The added stipulation was that if Lehran felt the Beorc and Laguz could not get along or vice versa before 1,000 years passed, he could wake her up so they could be punished or rewarded accordingly. Of course we know which he decided to do, hence Part 4.

- In Path of Radience, Reyson found a dais in Serenes Forest (no copyright infringement intended, LOL) that he at first planned to use to kill all the Beorc in the forest (at the time unaware Ike and Co. found Leanne). It wouldn't be hard to assume Lehran was aware the dais existed and could have used the Dais himself to kill the Beorc who slaughtered the Herons.

- Even after Misasha (Sanaki and Micaiah's grandmother and the previous Begnion Empress) was assassinated and his clan was massacred as a result, Lehran didn't lose all hope for reconciliation between the tribes. The tipping points were the assassination attempt on Sanaki and his imprisonment. After that he was basically "damn you all to hell" and woke Ashera.

- While true the Senate intended to use Sephrain to manipulate Sanaki, as a Heron he knew what their intentions were from the beginning. When you consider Sanaki is like a daughter to him it's not hard to believe there's nothing he wouldn't do to keep her safe. When you talk to Sephrain with Sanaki in the tower, he doesn't target her afterwards.

- When Yune brings him back to life after the battle he joins Ike during the final battle. At this point, he decided leaving the fate of all creation to an incomplete goddess was a BAD idea so...yeah.

- Perhaps as a sign of "no hard feelings" Lehran regains his wings after Ashunera is reunited.

END MEGA SPOILERS

As a sidenote: Am I the only person who noticed the oddness with Lehran having BLACK Wings? You can only Imagine what his Laguz form looked like O.o;

- Even after Misasha (Sanaki and Micaiah's grandmother and the previous Begnion Empress) was assassinated and his clan was massacred as a result, Lehran didn't lose all hope for reconciliation between the tribes. The tipping points were the assassination attempt on Sanaki and his imprisonment. After that he was basically "damn you all to hell" and woke Ashera.

Just want to address this. From SF's script of 4-E(4)

Sephiran: Sir Ike, I'm afraid your father's death was an unfortunate result of Zelgius's own personal agenda. I did not order Sir Gawain killed. However, I must admit that I did ask him to seize the medallion and hand it over to King Ashnard. The goddess was to be freed...and all living creatures destroyed.

It also seemed as if not for Daein's reconstruction Rafiel would have told the rest of the Laguz the truth a lot sooner. I mean he was pretty much dependent on Nailah for survival and she seemed to have randomly decide to waste time by helping these strangers take back a country she knew noting about. Lekain also gleefully takes full credit for the blood pact and awakening of the Goddess even though he knew noting about the medallion. So if he really was manipulating them it would have to have been behind their backs but still even if he did know exactly how the senate would react it didn't seem like he had to do much. Just send Zelgius to Daein (when at that point it didn't really look like Daein needed any more help, perhaps he was hoping the appearance f the Black Knight would stir up some more trouble, that or the Black Knight had been watching Miciah for several chapters and only choose to appear when she was in real danger). Later send Zelgius to battle the Laguz which would be the logical reaction of any leader regardless of their motives.

As a sidenote: Am I the only person who noticed the oddness with Lehran having BLACK Wings? You can only Imagine what his Laguz form looked like O.o;

Except he has brown wings, meaning that he's a non-royal heron...

Edited by NinjaMonkey

...Your point?

He simply stressed Greil's Death was all Zelgius' doing. He wanted the Fire Emblem but he never gave Zelgius permission to kill for it.

He asked to give it to Ashnard, which means he had this plan even before RD.

No. Just no.

I'm sorry, every single one of Seph's actions has the effect of indirectly starting or prolonging the war between laguz and beorc, with the possible exception of Senaki; claiming that he is merely a shocked bystander is silly, since he is the mastermind (and Zelgius is the hand) that started the wars in both PoR and RD, and there's plenty of evidence in both games supporting this. The whole affair with Senaki, as I said, is the only one that I'm not sure of, simply because the evidence is so slim to support any theory. It's possible he may have loved Senaki as a great-great-great-great-great....-granddaughter (isn't it heavily implied that he, as Lehran, started the Begnion bloodline, explaining Micky's branded status as Senaki's older sister?), but that doesn't mean he didn't use her. After all, he loved Zelgius as a son, but still used him as a tool for his mechanations (although Zelgius, agreeing with Sephiran's endgame, was in on Seph's plans; Senaki, who would never agree to such a malicious plan, was kept in the dark).

Simply put, there is almost no reason for the Senate to assassinate Senaki when they had the support of the people and could arrange an overthrow of her rule by the people from the shadows. If Senaki was assassinated when it was obvious the Senate was making a power grab, it would be way too obvious who did it and why, resulting in a chance that the wrath of the citizens of largest known nation in the world would be focused on them. The Senate may be greedy, but these are the same people that used Jarod's brutality to spawn a Daein revolution, instilled a worm in that revolution, and used the worm to create a puppet ruler using the power of a little known "blood pact"; they're not THAT stupid.

He asked to give it to Ashnard, which means he had this plan even before RD.

By "he" you mean Zelgius?

Zelgius had his own reasons for going after Greil (which we know about of course). Given Sephrain saw Mist didn't go insane after her father slaughtered an entire town meant he didn't had no reason to get it back anytime soon. Ashnard knew of the Medallion because the unnamed Heron maiden he kidnapped had it (who later gave it to Ike's mother). He heard about what it did for Greil and thought "Hey, that sounds like fun. ME WANT!" As for his wanting to throw the world into chaos for the sake of the medallion, that was never actually stated. All he gave a damn about was having the biggest sword (no pun intended) and proving it, hence why he didn't flee Crimea when Ike and Co. show up.

I'm sorry, every single one of Seph's actions has the effect of indirectly starting or prolonging the war between laguz and beorc, with the possible exception of Senaki; claiming that he is merely a shocked bystander is silly, since he is the mastermind (and Zelgius is the hand) that started the wars in both PoR and RD, and there's plenty of evidence in both games supporting this. The whole affair with Senaki, as I said, is the only one that I'm not sure of, simply because the evidence is so slim to support any theory. It's possible he may have loved Senaki as a great-great-great-great-great....-granddaughter (isn't it heavily implied that he, as Lehran, started the Begnion bloodline, explaining Micky's branded status as Senaki's older sister?), but that doesn't mean he didn't use her. After all, he loved Zelgius as a son, but still used him as a tool for his mechanations (although Zelgius, agreeing with Sephiran's endgame, was in on Seph's plans; Senaki, who would never agree to such a malicious plan, was kept in the dark).

Simply put, there is almost no reason for the Senate to assassinate Senaki when they had the support of the people and could arrange an overthrow of her rule by the people from the shadows. If Senaki was assassinated when it was obvious the Senate was making a power grab, it would be way too obvious who did it and why, resulting in a chance that the wrath of the citizens of largest known nation in the world would be focused on them. The Senate may be greedy, but these are the same people that used Jarod's brutality to spawn a Daein revolution, instilled a worm in that revolution, and used the worm to create a puppet ruler using the power of a little known "blood pact"; they're not THAT stupid.

1. Explain the Serenes Massacre and the previous Empress' assassination then. Lekain states he orchestrated both the massacre and Misasha's death himself several times in RD.

2. Yes. He is the father (and so on) of every Begnion Empress after Altina (as well as Sanaki even though Micaiah was the true heir to the throne). He calls Misasha "my daughter" the night before she was killed to show he acknowledges her as one of his and Altina's descendants.

3. He never said that about Zelgius. God, I got chills the first time I saw that flashback. He took pity on Zelgius for being a Branded because the stigma was personal for him on so many levels. Sephrain and Zelgius' relationship can be compared to Ike and Soren's. If their relationship was considered deeper than than just close friends/mentor Sephrain would've retaliated after Zelgius killed Greil or defeated Skrimir (he opposed the war against the Laguz Alliance from the start).

4. Again, Lekain found out Misasha was a Branded and wanted her (as well as Sanaki and Micaiah) dead so he could seize the throne. You'd be surprised what arrogant people in power could do to them. History is full of examples =D

Edited by Aurabolt

By "he" you mean Zelgius?

Zelgius had his own reasons for going after Greil (which we know about of course). Given Sephrain saw Mist didn't go insane after her father slaughtered an entire town meant he didn't had no reason to get it back anytime soon. Ashnard knew of the Medallion because the unnamed Heron maiden he kidnapped had it (who later gave it to Ike's mother). He heard about what it did for Greil and thought "Hey, that sounds like fun. ME WANT!" As for his wanting to throw the world into chaos for the sake of the medallion, that was never actually stated. All he gave a damn about was having the biggest sword (no pun intended) and proving it, hence why he didn't flee Crimea when Ike and Co. show up.

"I did ask him(Zelgius) to seize the medallion and hand it over to King Ashnard. The goddess was to be freed...and all living creatures destroyed" <---Sephiran said that. Sephiran was trying to give Ashnard the medallion, in order to have Ashnard free the goddess and have all living creatures destroyed. Your point about him not having this plan until after PoR is false; Sephiran's attempt to free Ashera and bring Tellius judgement happened before RD, or at least before Zelgius kills Greil. It's right there in front of you, dude.

Everything in the above quote is irrelevant or wrong. Everything in bold is either false, or happens because Sephiran pushes Ashnard whichever way Sephiran wants.

Edit: Italics part of the quote is false. I don't want to dig through to find more specific quotes, as this should suffice.

Ashnard

Yes, I tried to get her to free the dark god from the medallion,

Edited by Aethereal

No. Just no.

...Read this and then come back.

I wrote it. Like 2 years ago.

To add to the article:

MEGA SPOILERS INCOMING

- Sephrain genuinely loved Sanaki. After all she (as well as Micaiah) is his blood relative through his relationship with Altina.

- The terms of Ashera's deal had fine print only Lehran knew about. The added stipulation was that if Lehran felt the Beorc and Laguz could not get along or vice versa before 1,000 years passed, he could wake her up so they could be punished or rewarded accordingly. Of course we know which he decided to do, hence Part 4.

- In Path of Radience, Reyson found a dais in Serenes Forest (no copyright infringement intended, LOL) that he at first planned to use to kill all the Beorc in the forest (at the time unaware Ike and Co. found Leanne). It wouldn't be hard to assume Lehran was aware the dais existed and could have used the Dais himself to kill the Beorc who slaughtered the Herons.

- While true the Senate intended to use Sephrain to manipulate Sanaki, as a Heron he knew what their intentions were from the beginning. When you consider Sanaki is like a daughter to him it's not hard to believe there's nothing he wouldn't do to keep her safe. When you talk to Sephrain with Sanaki in the tower, he doesn't target her afterwards.

- When Yune brings him back to life after the battle he joins Ike during the final battle. At this point, he decided leaving the fate of all creation to an incomplete goddess was a BAD idea so...yeah.

- Perhaps as a sign of "no hard feelings" Lehran regains his wings after Ashunera is reunited.

END MEGA SPOILERS

Lehran lost all of his powers after Altina gave birth to his daughter. This i stated in the game, and is implicit, even if its not said, because any laguz that procreates with a beorc will lose his powers after their child is born. this means lehran had no way of reading the Senator's mind. Rather, Lehran probably had his own suspicions that they were the killers of the last Apostle and was wary of them. Yune technically didn't revive him, rather she healed him before right at the second between life and death. While killing the humans with the Dais in the forest was an option for him (he regained powers temporarily, probably due to the medallion or something), it wouldn't have been what he wanted. Lehran was a sentinel, who was too look at beorc with a judging eye, and report to Ashera if they were not worth it.

Lehran had to do many things indirectly. It was him that wanted to wake Ashera in order to destroy the world.

Herons have brown wings and black hair. The only different ones are royals.

Another small question here. Is Spehiran's immortality a result of being a Heron or is it a gift from Ashera?

And I feel I should also note that according to his conversation with Haar he did try to make changes in Bengnion as prime minster but the senate rejected them. Which implies he didn't suddenly become world hating after the massacre and tried peaceful ways of changing the world at first.

Herons have finite lifespans, half of that of dragons. Lehran possesses Mantle, which means he's been blessed by the goddess, in particular perhaps by...

Ashunera?

Edited by VincentASM

But Sephiran never capitalized on Sanaki's trust, and actually gave away that she had to kill him in order to open the door to Ashera.

Per Aurabolt's writeup on Zelgius and Sephiran:

The two are not seen together until after Crimea falls during the Mad King's War. Zelgius—under the guise of the Black Knight—has a chance meeting with Sephiran. Sephiran helps Ranulf escape certain death at the hands of the then-infamous Daein Rider.

Well, the two of them are not seen by the player until that point, but that doesn't mean that there wasn't coordination between the two of them in the intervening period (in case you were trying to imply otherwise with that sentence).

So what? Sephiran genuinely loved the people of the world - otherwise he wouldn't have minded the suffering they go through in their incessant wars. That didn't mean he wasn't willing to wipe the slate clean.

Sephiran: Sanaki, my long life has shown me the people of this world deserve only destruction. The selfishness, the brutality... The disregard for others, the endlessly quarreling laguz and beorc. We have been given many chances to correct our behavior and ourselves, and have squandered them all. The only remaining hope for a peaceful, orderly world is for Ashera to wipe us all out and begin again. To fulfill my ambition of destroying all beings, I had to use you... I had to betray you.

So he was going to have Sanaki killed by Ashera.

This makes no sense, as the beorc who killed the Herons are no longer in the forest.

4. Again, Lekain found out Misasha was a Branded and wanted her (as well as Sanaki and Micaiah) dead so he could seize the throne. You'd be surprised what arrogant people in power could do to them. History is full of examples =D

I don't remember anything about Lekain finding out Misasha was a branded...is this true?

But Sephiran never capitalized on Sanaki's trust, and actually gave away that she had to kill him in order to open the door to Ashera.

Sephiran: "Senaki[...]To fulfill my ambition of destroying all beings, I had to use you... I had to betray you."

He's basically saying RIGHT THERE that he did use her (and thus capitalized on her trust). Plus, Sephiran could have said it because he liked Senaki (I honestly think he did, quite a bit) and didn't think they could kill him (and even if they did, he never imagined that they would "defeat" Ashera). I think he had such a personal connection to Senaki that he wanted to be honest to her before the end of all life by Ashera.

Sephiran staging a fake assassination attempt would make sense, because his job was to destroy all humanity, by any means possible -- and to do that, he needed the war to go on for the goddess to awaken, which meant he needed the trust of both the Senate and Senaki by being two-faced and playing both sides.

Edited by Kngt_Of_Titania

Sephiran staging a fake assassination attempt would make sense, because his job was to destroy all humanity, by any means possible -- and to do that, he needed the war to go on for the goddess to awaken, which meant he needed the trust of both the Senate and Senaki by being two-faced and playing both sides.

Sephiran doesn't play with both sides though. He and sanaki always did things which the senate didn't like. Lekain states this in 4-E-1.

Lekain:

We had to take advantage of this obvious miracle. In an unprecedented move by the senators, we elevated Sephiran to prime minister, keeping him serving as close to you as possible. This plan, radical as it was, proved far more effective than we dared dream. A young, handsome prime minister and an adorable moppet of an apostle brought the people's support to incredible new heights. Apparently the common citizenry is gullible enough to blindly follow any leader who is sufficiently attractive. Enamored as they were, no one ever seemed to care whether or not you could hear the voice of the goddess. With the new apostle and prime minister, the political landscape became unrecognizable. Even in the face of overtly unreasonable legislation, the two of you would stand on the balcony... A smile and a wave later, the people would cheer and go on with their happy lives.

It was too good to be true, however. Both of you were only meant to be puppets! Each year you interfered with our government more and more, imposing your soft-hearted ideals over our sovereign rights. Were such trivialities as laguz slavery and the Daein occupation worth making issues of? The pair of you were becoming an increasingly bothersome thorn in our side. And then this war against the laguz forces... You went so far as to expose our previous indiscretions and demand reparations for the sub-humans. This was unforgivable. Clearly you both had to be removed. Sephiran would be falsely accused and jailed, necessitating his removal from office. The apostle would suffer a sudden illness, and be excused from official proceedings. Or so we intended...

Lekain makes it clear that Sephiran never worked very well with them. Plus Sephiran escaped from jailed and rallied the people against the senate.

• 2 weeks later...

I question myself this.

Did he really plan the Serenes Massacre, or did Lekain did this by his own personnel agenda? And about Lekain being his pawn, that is utterly wrong. Since the Senate jailed him in the first place and Lekain governs over all of the senate.

In general, Lekain was only adding fuel to the fire.

I question myself this.

Did he really plan the Serenes Massacre, or did Lekain did this by his own personnel agenda? And about Lekain being his pawn, that is utterly wrong. Since the Senate jailed him in the first place and Lekain governs over all of the senate.

In general, Lekain was only adding fuel to the fire.

No he defiantly didn't plan the Serenes Massacre. That was the biggest thing that prompted him to end all life.

No he defiantly didn't plan the Serenes Massacre. That was the biggest thing that prompted him to end all life.

That's right, that is proved in one of the memories that Micaiah experience in the tower.