Rate the Unit, Day 17: Sain

Kngt_Of_Titania

Alright, I promised. I must discuss in detail about why Sain is so great. First (which can't be counted in the rank, sadly) there's the fact that Sain (along with Serra) IS the comedy in Fire Emblem 7. Nearly every funny scene that doesn't have Serra in it is Sain's personality clashing with somebody else's, usually Lyn or one of the pretty girls he sets his eyes on (read: Every one old enough to have undergone puberty, even promoted Nino; the sole exception is Prissy, who even Sain realizes is trying to get in Raven's pants).

But just as good as his comedic talents are his stats. With a little luck, he'll hit his first tier STR cap before 20/-- (and has 1-shot Kishuna on HHM with a random silver lance crit cool.gif) and he's one of the only characters in the game who will hit second tier cap on average by the level he'll end HM in, which is awesome. You know what else is awesome? The fact that he takes Kent's useless SKL and replaces it with awesome green hair STR while keeping roughly the same SPD (and more than enough to double practically everything in the game). OK, that's almost the same thing, but whatever. Oh yeah, he also has one of the best availabilities of any character in FE7 and has a horse in a game with plenty of flat terrain and almost no horseslayers. Even his CON is nice considering his weaponry and rescuing capabilities.

What's not so awesome? His DEF, which I find rears its ugly head in Kinship's Bond, and is the only time Lowen is actually better than him at something. The horror! No, seriously, his DEF sucks. Like Prissy-Poo on Raven's...anyways, it's not THAT big of a deal most of the time, since he has an actual health pool (unlike casters) and doesn't die to everything with a bow (Florina and Fiora). Oh yeah, I'm missing something...ah, right!

Rating: 8.5/10

Current ranks (in order):

Bartre-2.8

Rebecca-3.13 (...the irony)

Dorcas-4.1

Eliwood-5.34

Guy-5.63

Erk-6.05

Lyn-6.12

Matthew-6.3

Serra-6.3

Oswin-6.7

Lowen-6.75

Kent-8.17

Hector-8.3

Priscilla-8.3

Florina-8.43

Marcus-9.29

Edited by Kngt_Of_Titania

9/10

Lhm crest is awesome on him.

Toss in a. Decent growth spread and support list, and he rams the game

Cons-

Average defense and not having marcus's weapon ranks by hhm?

And he can get silver axes by lategame, blowing his attack through the roof!

Edited by The Creeper

Other than his skill and strength, he matches Kent statwise. There's also his luck, which is a little better. That strength puts him ahead of Kent, for me anyway. His defense is pretty average but his HP is enough to keep him out of trouble. Otherwise, it's a horse, good stats and availability.

8.5/10

Absolutely dominates when promoted in LHM and fed the kills there. Which is probably in your best interest. Not as great in an S-Rank run, because of the lack of an early promo, but still awesome. 9.5 for my money, it'd probably be a 10 if he didn't miss the first six chapters.

Always get RNG screwed, risk taking is not exactly my best strategy, especially when I depend on somebody to actually hit. At least he's got good strength.

7/10

...Why are you basing this rating entirely on the fact that you tend to have poor luck with him?

Anyway, Sain's better than Kent where it matters and adequate where he isn't (eg. Speed). Kent's strength often suffers, he doesn't have much more speed and his skill lead barely matters. I'd take Sain, any day. Well, I'd take both anyday on pure stats, but I dislike Kent's personality. That aside, 9.5.

Amazing class, great strength, good enough skill/speed, joins in Chapter 16, LHM for training. He can even become an Oifaye if you feed him lots of kills and promote him in LHM. Sain has almost everything he'd ever want. His only real catch is his sketchy 20% defense growth, but his decent base defense and good HP can mitigate that problem.

9.8/10

6.5/10

He was useful at first as a solid unit, but wasn't doubling. Knight Crests comes late (because I didn't abuse the LHM crest), and he becomes to frail to go charging off, even with WTC. He was the biggest pain in night of farewells, and was worse than Lucius at not dying. Sub par speed combined with bad defense and horrible resistance = bad.

I gave him a little benefit of the doubt that he was just really screwed though. If this was based entirely on personal playthroughs (or playthrough where I actually used him) it would've been a 4.

Edited by deranger

High strength Cavalier, definitely one of the best units due to his high offense matched with high movement and flexible weapon access. While he's a little on the frail side defensively he's rather good when it comes to ORKO's or even OHKOs against magic users once he gets going, which is valuable on the merit that he's taking less damage if the enemies can't survive him through to enemy phase or in more uncommon but possible circumstances to even counter him.

9/10

Flexible, powerful, and just quick enough to be useful beyond measure.

If he gets rng screwed, sucks to be you. Fact is, he its still a solid unit with constant weapon triangle control, mounted mov, and very good availability.

8.9 from me. The .9 comes from the rest of the .1 that Kent stole from him.

-1 pt only due to S rank runs hurting his early performance.