Rate the Unit, Day 18: Wil

Integrity

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shitty bases and never grows into much special. 2 range lock sucks, LHM may salvage him a little if you feed him enough, but not really worth it. Can shoot some pegs in Lyn's join chapter in HHM so that's worth something I guess

3/10.

7/10

Wil's about on par with Beccy. There are numerous advantages and disadvantages to each, but I'm going to get flamed as it is, so yeah.

Wil's STR almost keeps up with Bartre's, but he can actually double more than half the game, esp. with LHM training. At worst, he's pseudo-doubling with Brave Bow (which practically is his PRF wep most playthroughs he's used -- i.e. all of mine) after C20.

He's almost unquestionably better than Bartre, in my view. Better SPD base, time to train in LHM, easier to train in HHM (Wil can do accurate decent hitting 2-range chip, which means little countering if any, while Bartre's hand axe accuracy is absolutely terrible even with WTA because of axe's low hit + his crap SKL base, and Bartre's 1 range is still inaccurate with him being doubled and ORKO'd or nearly ORKO'd by almost everything not a loldier), and a SPD focused promo, which he wants.

Wil with killers/silvers has a great PP, and you can maipulate decent EP on most chapters.

EDIT: Had a shift that started half an hour before I could update the Unit of the Day. Just got off of it. (Plus, I've been dreading doing Wil)

Edited by Kngt_Of_Titania

7/10

Wil's about on par with Beccy. There are numerous advantages and disadvantages to each, but I'm going to get flamed as it is, so yeah.

Wil's STR almost keeps up with Bartre's, but he can actually double more than half the game, esp. with LHM training. At worst, he's pseudo-doubling with Brave Bow (which practically is his PRF wep most playthroughs he's used -- i.e. all of mine) after C20.

He's almost unquestionably better than Bartre, in my view. Better SPD base, time to train in LHM, easier to train in HHM (Wil can do accurate decent hitting 2-range chip, which means little countering if any, while Bartre's hand axe accuracy is absolutely terrible even with WTA because of axe's low hit + his crap SKL base, and Bartre's 1 range is still inaccurate with him being doubled and ORKO'd or nearly ORKO'd by almost everything not a loldier), and a SPD focused promo, which he wants.

Wil with killers/silvers has a great PP, and you can maipulate decent EP on most chapters.

EDIT: Had a shift that started half an hour before I could update the Unit of the Day. Just got off of it. (Plus, I've been dreading doing Wil)

lol.

Anyway 1/10. Shit archer.

Ballistae aren't really that worth it in this game for the few chapters they're around. Except to take out a few flyers here and there. But they come with extremely heavy risk, and the three Ballistae users are all very frail.

Ballistae aren't really that worth it in this game for the few chapters they're around. Except to take out a few flyers here and there. But they come with extremely heavy risk, and the three Ballistae users are all very frail.

Wil isn't really frail. At least, no more frail than Raven (who isn't), having similar HP and DEF at roughly equal levels.

Rebecca is frail. Louise...eh, she's a prepromo with a (defensive, IIRC?) A support with Pent.

As for ballista, I find them semi-useful for like Vaida's chapter and maybe the occassional chip on FFO. They're way too heavy to be very useful (something like 20 WT or something stupid).

EDIT: I actually just checked. Geitz base and just post-promo Wil (which is usually around where he and most other characters are by this point in MY playthrough) are almost identical stat-wise, Geitz getting a slight edge in HP and Wil getting SKL/RES (so mostly meaningless differences). Geitz gets axes, Wil gets earlier access to silvers. I forgot how good of a pre-promo Geitz is.

EDIT2: Thanks for the new avatar!

Wil isn't really frail. At least, no more frail than Raven (who isn't), having similar HP and DEF at roughly equal levels.

I don't wanna start any arguments, but they'll never be at roughly equal levels. Raven's EP will catapult his levels compared to Wil's PP only exp gain. That kinda statement's a little disingenuous.

I don't wanna start any arguments, but they'll never be at roughly equal levels. Raven's EP will catapult his levels compared to Wil's PP only exp gain. That kinda statement's a little disingenuous.

They'll never be far apart in levels to have any significant differences in durability most of the time, either (as in, where one is 3RKO'd and the other is 2RKO'd or one is ORKO'd while the other is 2RKO'd). I've never had Wil fall significantly behind in levels, simply due to how EXP works in FE7 (you hit diminishing returns so quickly in HM EXP calcs it almost feels like there's a soft cap for levels depending on the chapter).

I just think Wil gets a bad rap, even as archers go. There's not a lot Rebecca doubles that Wil does not (FE7 enemy AS is balls, remember?), most of her doubling and Wil not happens between maybe Pirate Ship and Dragon's Gate, and Wil has (and maintains) slight edges in STR, DEF, and HP. Rebecca didn't score high (she at least got 3/10, which is less than she deserves, but whatever), but you can't rate Wil a 1/10 or 0/10 (well, you can, but I don't think you should). Not in a game with units like Bartre and Nino and Renault.

I'm not going to lie, Wil sucks. Let's get started with his stats: On offense, a 5/0 Wil(and I'm being real generous here)going into Chapter 16 has 8str/6spd, giving him 14atk/6AS with iron and 17atk/3AS with steel. With the steel bow he's 2HKOing everything except cavaliers, which he 3HKO's, and he obviously one-shots pegs. 6 spd by itself is not doubling and with a 40% growth, Wil will not double for a LONG time. On defense, he has 22HP/6def, which is -1/-1 over base Lowen. While 5/0 Wil isn't getting 2HKO'd by the whole map, mercs and myrms double his sorry ass, causing them to 2RKO him anyway. 75HP/20def do not go a long way to stopping fluke 2-3HKO's, and to top it off, Wil has no enemy phase due to being bow locked. This obviously cuts into his exp gain, meaning that he levels slowly. And cut the 'Just feed him kills' crap. It isn't happening.

I wouldn't even bother with him past C16, and probably during C16. Unless your Kngt.

And here's someone who shares the same opinion of Wil as me:

incredibly shitty archer

poop leaks out of his anus

Edited by darkandroid125

And cut the 'Just feed him kills' crap. It isn't happening.

I just want to note a few things:

1. Wil getting 5/-- or 6/-- is not hard in S rank LHM. His offense is also decent in LHM (even at base), given his competition and the terribly weak enemies.

2. Wil gets free experience because pegasi CHARGE him right away in C16. Free bags of experience.

3. Like 80-90% of C17 is archers/nomads/etc...can you say EP?

4. C18 has TONS of low AS pegasi and low DEF magic units. HINT HINT

5. C19 has pegasi reinforcements.

6. Wil gets the Brave Bow to double artificially by C20H, if he isn't doubling naturally by then. And STR that will match Geitz's (well, almost match, with Geitz's HM bonus) post-promo.

EDIT: Comp's about to die, and I'm tired anyways. Good night, SF! (I'm obviously going to be the only non-1/10 rating here for Wil, which is fine. wink.gif)

In a battle between Wil and Nino, I think Wil wins. Furthermore, he's forced for a portion of the game where everything is such that his bow chip is marginally useful. I'm not a huge fan of his support base, and my favorite convo with him is Rath. Eh, I thought he was cute when I first got the game, and Rebecca doesn't have that to her name. There's also massive pegasus spam in HHM, so the archers suck just a little less. Just a little.

3/10, with the extra +1 for aesthetic reasons, and because I'm insane enough to find ways to level characters that aren't supposed to gain levels (go see my FE8 drafts for examples of this).

IF ONE REALLY WANTS TO GO WITH PAINFULLY TRAINING AN ARCHER, USE BECCA.

HAVE YOU SEEN WILS SUPPORT OPTIONS?

THE CAELIN COURT DOESN"T WANT HIM

AND IF YOU'RE FIELDING BOTH WIL AND BECCA, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG

ICEXWIND IS CRAPPY, AND RAVEN HAS BETTER THINGS TO DO.

and, when every other bow user is better, you know that he is kinda crappy.

And, why baby Wil, when we can baby someome like Eliwood/Barte/Dart/Rath/Heath and then we can get a unit with 1-2 range and much more to offer.

Eliwood is a prime one for babying IMO.

high aid+mount is good

WIL IS SOO CLOSE TO BEING WOLT, THAT THE ONLY GOOD THING WIL HAS IS A +10% STRENGTH GROWTH.

5/10, because even one of the lesser units in FE7 is still perfectly useable. Then again, I'm not rating the units by scale.

IF ONE REALLY WANTS TO GO WITH PAINFULLY TRAINING AN ARCHER, USE BECCA.

HAVE YOU SEEN WILS SUPPORT OPTIONS?

THE CAELIN COURT DOESN"T WANT HIM

AND IF YOU'RE FIELDING BOTH WIL AND BECCA, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG

ICEXWIND IS CRAPPY, AND RAVEN HAS BETTER THINGS TO DO.

and, when every other bow user is better, you know that he is kinda crappy.

And, why baby Wil, when we can baby someome like Eliwood/Barte/Dart/Rath/Heath and then we can get a unit with 1-2 range and much more to offer.

Eliwood is a prime one for babying IMO.

high aid+mount is good

WIL IS SOO CLOSE TO BEING WOLT, THAT THE ONLY GOOD THING WIL HAS IS A +10% STRENGTH GROWTH.

You're talking to the same chick who promoted Colm at level 20 before Tana was ready to promote in a draft.

I just want to note a few things:

1. Wil getting 5/-- or 6/-- is not hard in S rank LHM. His offense is also decent in LHM (even at base), given his competition and the terribly weak enemies.

2. Wil gets free experience because pegasi CHARGE him right away in C16. Free bags of experience.

3. Like 80-90% of C17 is archers/nomads/etc...can you say EP?

4. C18 has TONS of low AS pegasi and low DEF magic units. HINT HINT

5. C19 has pegasi reinforcements.

6. Wil gets the Brave Bow to double artificially by C20H, if he isn't doubling naturally by then. And STR that will match Geitz's (well, almost match, with Geitz's HM bonus) post-promo.

EDIT: Comp's about to die, and I'm tired anyways. Good night, SF! (I'm obviously going to be the only non-1/10 rating here for Wil, which is fine. wink.gif)

I gave him a 4. I gave my reasons for it, even. I'm one of the highest-rating people on Wil, sans you and Refa.