Forums Skin

SwordsAreShiney

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arabic and the Ancient Tongue are both cursive scripts (to a degree, the Ancient Tongue letters at least appear conjoined even if they wouldn't be written cursively) but because Arabic is written right to left, most of the curves and loops go the opposite direction of the Ancient Tongue. Arabic also makes use of dots while the Ancient Tongue makes use of none, sans periods.

arabic45pxhlz1.png versus galldrexampleinvertedcova2.jpg

Most people probably wouldn't be able to recognize the difference without a direct comparison (Arabic might be a little closer to the Ancient Tongue if mirrored, actually) but I think it would be better to create and use an Ancient Tongue font regardless. An Ancient Tongue font would be more authentic. The letters in the Ancient Tongue directly transliterate into the English alphabet. One could use this

image as a guide (Vincent, you are absolutely amazing for having researched and discovered so much content which relates to Fire Emblem) for creating a font, if such a font has not already been created.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to create a scalable font. I once made a font for the kind of lettering used in character screens (the font used for names, like in this example (which I did not create), and for item names) but that was a while ago and the program I used was unsophisticated.

EDIT 01 (19.01.2008):

I recall reading somewhere (I am not sure where) that the Ancient Tongue used in Radiant Dawn is different from that of Path of Radiance. Is this true? Do the two games use a different fictional writing system, or a different font?

It might be fun to learn to write in the Ancient Tongue. Because the Ancient Tongue directly transliterates into the English alphabet it would be very easy to use. The letters g, and possibly j, don't appear to flow but neither does the letter E. The symbol for capital letters (presumably it's for capital letters but I'll check that the next time I pick up the game) looks like it might take some practice to get used to, as do a few of the numbers. The characters does look too difficult to write or read though, assuming one has fair enough penmanship to compensate for the few characters which are very similar to each other.

When I feel the need to write notes to myself that I don't want other to be able to read I use another language; however, because I'm not fluent in any language other than English I invent quite a few of my own English loanwords. The Ancient Tongue would likely prove the most superior alternative alphabet because it would bypass this problem entirely. It is also prettier than other alphabets.

I removed the words and added galdr...and I think it looks much better! I wanted to add the ancient language they have here in this current wallpaper, but I couldnt find any...infact the one I used was the one posted on this topic by Wist (thanks!), so if i can get more images to other galdr, I'd gladly use them :D

serenesforestwgaldrqh1.th.jpg

The comments and critiques are great! Keep them rolling!

[EDIT]

Oh, and I moved Leanne up a bit, she looked a bit too low...

Wist, you made my life horrible by actually knowing what you were talking about.
I apologize, by no means was I intending to make you appear uninformed. It is not illogical that one would not see the differences between the two scripts unless they were put side by side. I am relatively familiar with what Arabic writing looks like because I once researched some of the world's major alphabets, but what I mentioned in the previous post is half of everything I know about the script. I have flirted with a random array of topics but, because I jump between so many interesting subjects, my base of knowledge for each of them is rather shallow.

Again, I am sorry if I have caused you disconcertion. Please don't allow that to inhibit what you may post or contribute in the future.

Again, I am sorry if I have caused you disconcertion. Please don't allow that to inhibit what you may post or contribute in the future.

Wow.... I'm going to take this as a joke. Please don't be offended. I'm not.

I don't mind being wrong as long as someone comes and does tell the truth.

I removed the words and added galdr...and I think it looks much better! I wanted to add the ancient language they have here in this current wallpaper, but I couldnt find any...infact the one I used was the one posted on this topic by Wist (thanks!), so if i can get more images to other galdr, I'd gladly use them :D

serenesforestwgaldrqh1.th.jpg

The comments and critiques are great! Keep them rolling!

[EDIT]

Oh, and I moved Leanne up a bit, she looked a bit too low...

Hmm You used the same word over and over. Try mixing it up a bit. If you look at the alphabet here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/Vin...dr_revised2.png

You can take that and use it to make more words.

Wow.... I'm going to take this as a joke. Please don't be offended. I'm not.

I don't mind being wrong as long as someone comes and does tell the truth.

I was under the impression that you may have felt I was representing you as uninformed, or trying to show you up, which was not my intention at all. It would seem that I had misinterpreted your response. No harm done.

No, I realized it, I'm just kind of weirded out by it.

Well, not weirded out... it's just that the internet was made to destroy intelligence and the English language in one blow, and when someone speaks intelligently on it... well, it's not usual. That's all.

Wist, I think you speak brilliantly. It's just that the tone of your words can be a bit misleading under good intentions. ^^'

I found the actual wallpaper to this site with a bit of searching and digging. I used the galdr from it and put it in roughly the same place too!

serenesforestwgaldrtz9.th.jpg

Let me know if this is better, and as always comments and critiques are appreciated!

Wist, I think you speak brilliantly. It's just that the tone of your words can be a bit misleading under good intentions. ^^'

I found the actual wallpaper to this site with a bit of searching and digging. I used the galdr from it and put it in roughly the same place too!

serenesforestwgaldrtz9.th.jpg

Let me know if this is better, and as always comments and critiques are appreciated!

The top left and top middle texts could use a little bit better blending, but otherwise it's good.

No problem : P

Well, it is quite good.

Just a word of warning though: I might change the background image again later... but chances are I'll probably be too lazy to, so it'll probably be here for a while XD