Rate the Unit, Day 21: Canas

Integrity

seriously I DON'T EVEN CARE ABOUT FE7 and yet I'm the only one assed to make these at 1900 every day.

Calculizing Lucius now. 7.02

Wil: 1.86

Bartre: 2.8

Rebecca: 3.13

Dorcas: 4.1

Eliwood: 5.34

Guy: 5.63

Erk: 6.05

Lyn: 6.12

Matthew: 6.3

Serra: 6.3

Oswin: 6.7

Lowen: 6.75

Lucius: 7.02

Kent: 8.17

Hector: 8.3

Priscilla: 8.3

Florina: 8.43

Raven: 8.47

Sain: 8.83

Marcus: 9.29

Edited by Integrity

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4/10

Pretty decent at combat, but E staves is worthless, and you have lots of good combatants. Luna is pretty useless beyond the dragon.

it was posted at 1607 here

Edited by General Horace

Do you really have to go around doing that, Soul? Just fuck off already.

Doing what?

I give him a 6. He can honestly be pretty decent. Just feed him kills until he promotes, then he'll actually have some mean offense

7. Pretty useful with luna, not that incredibly useful for anything other than dragon.

|

|

\/

Edited after I forgot about that. Raised to 7

Edited by Aran613

4/10. Outshined by Erk and Lucius, and while Luna's nice it's just not useful for much aside from the dragon. Dark tomes being heavy doesn't help his case.

Edited by Metal King Slime

3/10

Canas is basically nothing more than access to Luna before the Final Chapter. Now we all know Luna is way too good, trivializing so many boss fights it isn't even funny. But here's the thing: Canas is so weak that he manages to keep Luna in check simply by being horrible.

On average, Canas will end up with 24 Magic at Level 20 promoted, assuming he promoted at Level 20. The odds that he managed to make it to Level 20 unpromoted are not the highest, especially with his mediocre speed growth. On one hand, he NEEDS the promotion; +3 to speed is a godsend and will be needed to keep up with boss speed growths. On the other hand, that kills his speed lategame, which is where Luna really starts getting good and helpful against bosses.

Now let's be honest, Luna really doesn't crack the game open until Light. Until then, Luna is at BEST on par with silver weaponry with killing bosses. Now endgame (NoF on) is actually somewhat scary, unlike FE8 (lolFE8 endgame).

Ursula is probably a fine candidate to Lunabomb; same with Sonia, but Killer weapons will also work because lolMorphLuck. Linus is still somewhat a pushover no matter what the game or the Iron Rune would tell you. Lloyd would murder Canas with or without Luna. If Canas makes it to the next chapter (i.e. the one in which you can send ONE other unit in with Hector), either you were sleepy, or you forgot to draft other magic-using units. Denning is a joke, no matter how much memetic mutation may try to make him appear otherwise. Battle Preparations...if you have trouble beating THIS, you need to stop playing Fire Emblem. Limstella; also a good candidate to Lunabomb, but she's a morph: Killer weapons will murder her.

Finally, most of the really nasty bosses that Luna is good against show up in Light.

:Athos: now shows up, and makes Canas look like fail in comparison. Same speed as Canas, 1 more point of constitution, 30 magic when Canas MIGHT hit 20 magic by end game...Canas suddenly looks like a benchwarmer.

Should I also mention that Light is kind of a joke difficulty-wise outside of Lloyd and Linus? And should I mention that even that can be trivalized by using Berserk on one of the two? Heck, Nergal dies horribly to Aureola (which is a better option against him than Luna), and the Fire Dragon is a joke.

Canas is only popular because he has a monocle. And he's not even the only magic user in FE to do that, Etzel does it while actually being a more usable unit (especially in FE12).

In conclusion, Canas is horribly overrated. As is Luna.

EDIT: [acronym|that Integrity is a pushy jerk :P]Just remembered[/acronym] this is FE7 and Dark Magic weighs 50 million pounds. Still a 3/10, but his speed issues are much more pronounced than I originally pushed towards.

Edited by Lightli

Damn, I'm giving the same rank as dondon, 4/10, Here's why:

In many ways, Canas is simply Erk, but worse. His SPD is largely wrapped up in his promotion gain, which is pretty gonzo. So in a S rank run, Canas isn't doubling for a LONG time, and in an efficiency run, we may or may not get Canas' SPD to double consistently all game because he's looking at 11.7 SPD + 35% growth @ 20/1, which is kind of shaky. And then we get everything but Flux (which isn't stellar) being way too heavy to ever double with (except against slower enemies with Luna if you're rather lucky with SPD procs), and then Canas just doesn't look too hot. Boss killer, maybe, but bosses aren't normally hard enough to justify it with MArcus.

Sub monocle gets a 4.25. He comes with a free secret book...who complains about that?

We all know Etzel is mine, but Sub monocle jus can't pull it off.

Alright at combat. +3 speed on promo's pretty hawt even if he gets a bit speed screwed. Can use Luna, but not as well as Athos if you're gonna use it on a dragon. Can use Luna on annoying high-res magic bitches (hello CoD) anyway since Athos doesn't need to use every use of Luna ever. Never getting a staff rank outside of E, maybe D at best, ever, though. 5.7/10.

Cool bookworm with full domain over dark magic up until Athos shows up. However, Luna isn't that good unless you pour a lot of exp into him or he ends up Magic blessed; otherwise it's mediocre. Also, dark magic's fricken heavy.

6/10