I feel retarded and need help.

JaketheGr3at

I tried softpatching it didn't work. I downloaded the patch changed the name to match the ROM (named Fire Emblem) and copied the patch into the file it doesn't work.

The EN patch is an .UPS patch (IIRC), so softpatching won't work. Use the method described for the .UPS patches (using NUPS).

Edited by Krad

The EN patch is an .UPS patch (IIRC), so softpatching won't work. Use the method described for the .UPS patches (using NUPS).

It said the patch doesn't match the file and won't work

None of them will work and I have no idea why

Edited by Red Fox of Fire

Do you have the (U) version, or the (E) version? The American release is probably what the hack uses, and its scene release is tagged as rom dump #1235. Make sure you have the right version, or else you'll risk having the patch overwrite data that's not supposed to be.

Do you have the (U) version, or the (E) version? The American release is probably what the hack uses, and its scene release is tagged as rom dump #1235. Make sure you have the right version, or else you'll risk having the patch overwrite data that's not supposed to be.

Is there actually much difference between the (E) and (U) versions? Just out of curiosity, (U) is like 99.99% certain-ly the one Arch used.

Is there actually much difference between the (E) and (U) versions? Just out of curiosity, (U) is like 99.99% certain-ly the one Arch used.

Considering the fact that they include two entirely different languages ON TOP of English, as well as a modified English script where it's concerned, yes, it is a little different XD Data has very likely been shifted around to accommodate the two entirely new scripts, as well as possible alterations even how text is handled. Localization has a LOT of things going into the projects besides just translating :newyears:

Considering the fact that they include two entirely different languages ON TOP of English, as well as a modified English script where it's concerned, yes, it is a little different XD Data has very likely been shifted around to accommodate the two entirely new scripts, as well as possible alterations even how text is handled. Localization has a LOT of things going into the projects besides just translating :newyears:

I see, I don't believe I knew that. Do they separately localize them, despite having one of the languages shared between them?

Some games seem to be localized separately, that is, NoE and NoA translate from entirely different beginnings, and do not share any translations. Maybe FE11 is an example of it, with its different name choices? I also believe it was released by NoE before NoA released the game stateside. The latest Advance Wars game also has evidence that it was handled completely individually with similar differences across numerous names and items, as well as originally being unveiled in French... not even Japanese. But I could be wrong on that. I know some of the Fire Emblems which have been localized by NoE are probably based on the NoA localization, as changes made from the NoJ->NoA are retained in the NoE versions, if my memory serves me well enough. It all depends on the game really.

(and on a separate note, Nintendo is finally expanding their translations to include Russian, Portuguese, and Dutch translated content ^_^ )

Nintendo of * = No*

Edited by Celice

Well that's interesting :P You'd think Nintendo would save themselves some work and just use the NoA translation as a base, but I guess they've got a bit of a close deadline and whatnot too, as the European fans seem to get pissed if their games take longer than America's (and vice versa)

Even if Nintendo were to re-use translation, there's no guarantee everything will be in same offsets, especially if the game was recompiled.

Yeah, when Celice said they had different languages too I figured it was probably not very safe to try using the (E) one, I just got curious :3

I'm pretty sure the EN patch is just a straight uncompressed UPS but I'm too lazy to check. I don't have a zip or .rar anywhere that I was too lazy to delete, at least :P But he could still be trying to apply it to a compressed ROM I guess.