Rate The Unit Day 4: Gilliam

Rules

- Ratings are assumed to be on Difficult Mode. Also, they should be based on when the unit is first available. In the split route case, you will see.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted (unless they fall into the general parameters of the average rating, but reasoning is still strongly encouraged on those even if you just wanna quote people) — incredibly low scores or high scores without proper justification will not be counted. Don't put in some random text thinking it'd count as justification. Put in at least a little thought and give REAL reasoning.

- Numbers for votes, please - not something like "Marcus/10", etc. Proper Justification will be determined by me and whoever decides to help, whether it be Iris and Lumi again or someone else.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is okay, but no more.

- Votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Makes it easy to calculate, please and thank you~!

- Every ranking phase ends approximately at 20:00 EST. Do the math for your timezone.

-We will ask you to not use the "Not Seth" reason on every nonSeth character. Because it will be used a lot.

Average Ratings, lowest-to-highest

Eirika: 7.31

Franz: 9.31

Seth: 9.91

So Gilliam, tied with Franz for third best availability in the game. But having 4 mov hinders him. Thankfully, he hits rather hard when he joins (and when he hits), and can find use in rout maps against monsters (Chapter 4 comes to mind). He can promote to get a horse with complete WTC, which is nifty.

I'm going to give him a 5.5/10

Edited by Knuckles

6.5/10.

Is there when Franz is.

But lolMove.

And he can get out of that rump, by ch7 and it's knight crest.

And becomes Duessel, with lower weapon ranks and res.

Bad start-Average-ish later.

Not that bad, but the competition kills him.

Except for lolAmelia.

But it's fe8, and being in an easy game, allows him to do more.

When I use him in drafts, he becomes Eirikas armoured car for later maps.

Edited by The Creeper

3/10. As this is FE8, his durability isn't that useful. Even if you don't wanna use Seth for combat, Seth with no weapons meatshielding still does a better job for ages since he has 8 move and have a very low chance of death. Gilliam's earlygame isn't all that great, as whlie the maps are small, you already get 2 mounted units at the time of his joining, and many, many axe users which aren't fun for him. With some training he can become okay, and thanks to branched promotions should you get him to level 10+ he can salvage his movement a little by going Great Knight and having the same move as regular foot units, but damn. This is FE8. Enemies are shit. You don't need overkill defense especially if you play smart. Especially not one with nonexistent move before promotion. I guess if you play casual having a wall is kinda nice but that's really his only redeeming factor.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

you already get 3 mounted units at the time of his joining

Franz and Seth don't add up to 3, last time I checked.

Gilliam. The world's slowest knight, unless you happen to be an Ostian or Rausten generic one.

He's slow, gets mutilated by magic...

But he comes early, and can promote in C7 if you don't like Franz.

And He's capable of using Garm without AS loss. Something quite a few units can say, though. And one of them is faster.

5/10.

Franz and Seth don't add up to 3, last time I checked.

Derp, Forgot he joined with Franz so I was accounting for Vanessa. Goes to show how little he mattered in C1.

Seth counts for 2

Edited by Luminescent Blade

Rules

- Ratings are assumed to be on Difficult Mode. Also, they should be based on when the unit is first available. In the split route case, you will see.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted (unless they fall into the general parameters of the average rating, but reasoning is still strongly encouraged on those even if you just wanna quote people) — incredibly low scores or high scores without proper justification will not be counted. Don't put in some random text thinking it'd count as justification. Put in at least a little thought and give REAL reasoning.

- Numbers for votes, please - not something like "Marcus/10", etc. Proper Justification will be determined by me and whoever decides to help, whether it be Iris and Lumi again or someone else.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is okay, but no more.

- Votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Makes it easy to calculate, please and thank you~!

- Every ranking phase ends approximately at 20:00 EST. Do the math for your timezone.

-We will ask you to not use the "Not Seth" reason on every nonSeth character. Because it will be used a lot.

Average Ratings, lowest-to-highest

Eirika: 7.31

Franz: 9.31

Seth: 9.91

So Gilliam, tied with Franz for third best availability in the game. But having 4 mov hinders him. Thankfully, he hits rather hard when he joins (and when he hits), and can find use in rout maps against monsters (Chapter 4 comes to mind).

Actually, his offense is pretty terrible against monsters because he can't double.

He can promote to get a horse with complete WTC, which is nifty.

While Gilliam has a horse he has 6 move, so in practice he's just a foot unit who takes higher movement penalties.

Trash. 2/10.

Uh, nice hair? His weight, his MOV, and his horrid Speed don't do him any favors. Even as a GK, he's still slow, and unlike Duracell, doesn't have lolmazing ranks in something that's not lances. His best use is to visit villages on C2.

3/10

In Chapter 4 HM, Base Gilliam does 16 damage to Revenants 27 base HP with ~92% hitrate.

He has ~80 hitrates and does 12 damage against Sword!Bonewalkers with WTA.

He does 14 damage to the eye things, but takes magic damage in return. Not good there. But essentially, Gilliam 2HKOs the entire map. Worried about move? Have him stay back by the northeast where the revenants spawn and have him kill them while Franz/Vanessa/Artur/Eirika/Seth destroy the rest of the map.

Gilliam is this dude who has the coolest hair in all of Frelia and junk.

He can marry Syrene like a bawss if the player so chooses. (one of my favorite pairings in that game.) What a bawss!

Pros:

Tanks.

Good availability.

Good strength.

Cons:

Molasses in January is like, faster than him.

No move. Like, at all.

This guy just wont keep up with your team. Even as a Great Knight, hes still kinda mehing with his move. :( Sad story really because he isnt that bad. His speed is pretty poopy though meaning he wont double any of the things. Man...

5/10. Biased rank 7/10 I like him a lot. I dont use him in the main game much though after early game.

In Chapter 4 HM, Base Gilliam does 16 damage to Revenants 27 base HP with ~92% hitrate.

He has ~80 hitrates and does 12 damage against Sword!Bonewalkers with WTA.

He does 14 damage to the eye things, but takes magic damage in return. Not good there. But essentially, Gilliam 2HKOs the entire map. Worried about move? Have him stay back by the northeast where the revenants spawn and have him kill them while Franz/Vanessa/Artur/Eirika/Seth destroy the rest of the map.

Right, except that every character in the game except for Ross 2RKOes Chpater 4 monsters with good hit rate. Colm does 18 damage with perfect hit rate to Revenants, for example. Garcia does 32 damage.

Gilliam is proof that armors really aren't that great.

His stats are what you'd expect out of a knight: High HP and defense offset by low speed and movement. Except that this is FE8 where just having overkill durability does not a good unit make. But talk is cheap, so let's look at his stats. Defensively, he's a demigod. 25HP/9def can absorb 3 hits from fighters and brigands despite WTD, and takes lol damge from things like archers. Considering the only unit with higher defense at base at this point is Seth, this isn't bad. Of course, there's the issue of getting doubled; 3 spd is generally not doubled by bandits, but some bandits can have 7 spd, which 2RKO's base Gil. If Gil procs spd or leaves axeland, then his durability starts to improve. With 90HP/55def growths, on top of Thunder aff(and Franz/Stache giving full def), he becomes fairly hard to kill. It's still satisfying watching enemies tink him or deal single dig to him. And it shows: he has 43HP/20def at 20/1, which is basically better than any other tier one unit at 20/1.

His offense is quite poor. 9 base str with 45% growth and lances is good, but 3 spd with a very sad 30% growth is not. At absolute best, Gilliam is doubling nothing but the usual slugs, and even at promotion, his spd is just ugly(11spd at 20/1, assuming general). Even with a speedwing(which is highly contested with other slugs, namely Garcia and Duessel), I wouldn't expect this guy to break 15AS until like endgame, but by then, you would've benched him a long time ago. In order to keep up offense, he really appreciates killers and braves, the latter he can use effectively thanks to his con(16 con as a general allows him to use brave axe without AS loss... not that it matters as he's not doubling normally anyway)

And the movement. By the way, 4 move sucks, and 5 move coupled with 16 con makes general a very undesirable option. And I bolded very because 16 con cannot be carried by any unit except unpromoted Franz or Harrison Forde. Use GK, and not general like I do. Or use Duessel, like normal people.

Good durability+poor offense+bad move=below average.

+ High availability

+ Very high durability

+ Horse + full WTC after promotion.

- Piss speed

- Piss movement before promotion

- Knight crest competition

Edited by darkandroid125

Gilliam's a dude I really liked at first. I mean, look at that DEF! Look at that STR! Too bad he sorta sucks everywhere else. If he can get a level up with SPD in it in chapter 1 (unlikely) then he can be pretty effective in chapter 4... but otherwise, he can never really contribute anything. Thanks to his crappy SPD, his combat is actually worse than, well, just about everyone's for most of the game since most people don't have trouble with surviving anyways. In fact, his durability is actually pretty abysmal at first. Even in chapter 2 he can be 2RKOd by enemies that he like 3HKOs at terrible hit. On top of all that, he has terrible MOV. Even after promotion he's not good, and that's assuming you go so far out of your way as to actually get him there. I don't know that anyone could make up for what you have to do to get him promoted, especially Gilliam needing ~20/12 to hit 14 SPD, and 20/12 is a level that only Seth and maybe Franz (if you aren't using Seth) will ever reach. Gilliam should be happy with, like, 10/5, and, well, that's 8 SPD...

1/10.

Edit: darkandroid, you do realize his horse after promotion still only gives him 6 MOV? I wouldn't consider that a plus the way an 8 MOV horse is.

Edited by Rewjeo

His start is truly dreadful (WTD to everything kinda eats him alive) and he can't double soldiers, although his speed growth isn't awful. And yeah the whole movement issue

He gets a 3.5. If you want a physical tank, go with Kyle, Garcia, Duessel or Dozla. Or Cormag. Or Ross, when trained. Or Gerik.

Just not Amelia.

Edited by Furetchen

Gilliam never impressed me. Not only does he have the weaknesses of an Armor that some have already outlined, but his base defense always struck me as being a bit on the low side for an armor. Base Franz only has one less defense than base Gilliam against axemen thanks to the weapon triangle.

2/10.

Gilliam. What a useless unit. Low movement means hard training. He gets WTC after promotion but who wants to promote him? Franz, Forde, and Kyle all want to promote first.

0.5/10 because he's still better than Amelia. Barely.

Uh, nice hair? His weight, his MOV, and his horrid Speed don't do him any favors. Even as a GK, he's still slow, and unlike Duracell, doesn't have lolmazing ranks in something that's not lances. His best use is to visit villages on C2.

3/10

This. Though earlygame Eirika's SUV isn't a bad use, but the Crest is wanted elsewhere.

Armor knights aren't good in games with fail enemies. Unless you're Oswin, and even he has plenty of problems.

3/10

They aren't good in games with good enemies either (like FE6 and FE11). In fact, Armour knights aren't good in general.

This. Though earlygame Eirika's SUV isn't a bad use, but the Crest is wanted elsewhere.

Gilliam is hardly an SUV. SUVs can actually deal with terrain. Gilliam is more like an armoured car, but who cares when Eirika has fighter jets?