[COMPLETE] FE1 manga translation thread (Hakoda Maki)

Crazy Foxie

Yahoo, I am finally done. I will say outright now whatever files you have, your back-ups, your back-ups of the back-ups, delete them all. Some volumes are messier than others, but if you don't want to rename files and everything, I strongly suggest this route to ensure you have the best possible version. Admittedly volume 11 only has one page wrong but that's about it.

Huge thanks to Ike-Mike and Kristian for putting up with me :D

Now what you've been waiting for: what I've done...Some of these errors are shocking. I have also abbreviated quality control (i.e. speech bubble formatting/grey marks at the bottom) to QC.

[spoiler=What changes were done if anyone wants to know]

Volume 3

Map 13 - 92 (Dorua -> Doruan), 93 (Dorua -> Doruan), 106 (woah -> whoa), 114 (brother? -> big bro)

Map 14 - 129 (big bro), 131 (big bro), 146 (Doruan), 149 (Aritian), 151 (Macedonian), 156 (Akaneian, Aritian)

Map 15 - 187 (descendent -> descendant). 191 (whoa), 193 (descendant)

Volume 4

Map 16 - 14 (Iote with capital I's)

Map 17 - 76 (QC), 69 (ellipses)

Map 18 - 88 (QC), 90 (QC)

Map 19 - 132 (doing what's right), 133 (suppress (it's back...)), 141 (barrier)

Map 20 - 168 (with black attire -> in black attire)

Volume 5

Map 21 - 3 (Marquess, descendant), 11 (reword), 16 (Doruan), 38 (whoa)

Map 23 - 90 (reword), 118 (Akaneian)

Map 24 - 131 (descendant)

Map 25 - 166 (dispatch -> despatch)

Volume 6

Map 6 - 3 (descendant)

Volume 7

Map 31 - 3 (descendant, rewording), 38 (descendant)

Map 34 - 141 (whoa), 142 (QC)

Map 35 - 154 (QC), 155 (ellipses), 170 (QC), 171 (QC), 172 (rewording re sacrifice), 178 (QC), 179 (QC), 180 (QC), 183 (wnd -> wind, haha!)

Volume 8

Map 36 - 3 (rewording about suzerain stuff), 8 (QC, double space), 13, 14, 15, 16, 27 (all QC)

Map 37 - 75 (gernerations ->generations), 78 (out -> our)

Map 38 - 89 (unrealiable -> unreliable)

Map 38.2 - 161 (QC), 162 (QC)

Volume 9

Map 39 - 8 (fulfill -> fulfil), 11 (QC), 15 (ravanged -> ravaged), 30 (crest of flames -> Fire Emblem (less literal))

Map 41 - 82 (ellipses)

Map 42 - 119 (QC), 127 (you'd like -> you like)

Volume 10

Map 44 - 9 (insigna -> insignia)

Map 45 - 45 (speech marks in right place), 60 (mother land -> mother country), 66 (reword), 68 (were to -> was to), 70 (trust)

Map 46 - 81 (captain -> commander), 95 (Sheema were -> Sheema was), 102 (no-one -> no one)

Map 47 - 120 (despatched), 125 (great priest -> high priest), 152 (reword)

Map 48 - 155 (reword), 187 (judgment -> judgement)

Volume 11

Map 50 - 64 (Durhuan)

As a further update, I have also sorted out everything on the SkyDrive and have even worked out how to keep files labelled up as name rather than as date corrected. This means that it should already be in order and shouldn't confuse or spoil people. I have also put covers on each map so they relate to the actual title page - they were usually on the last page or of credits, which is booooooring :D

Right then, I suppose I should do what I should be doing. Hopefully all the links are up and running. If anything is wrong though please let me know!!!

Edit: I'll also get round to uploading maps 1-12 on SkyDrive, I've decided. It's a lot easier for newbies to read everything in one place and is accurate rather than hopping from one thing to another. We do not claim credit for these.

Edited by Crazy Foxie

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello again everyone - map 55 is now ready for download/online reading :D 4 more to go until the finale, 8 more until the overall project is complete.

Another short-ish chapter, but the plot just gets thicker. Cheine doesn't waste any screentime, neither does Est and George is still awesome for words...At poor Thomas' expense.

Also, random point to note: for a somewhat major character, Hardin doesn't get a cover page XD

Until next time!

• 3 weeks later...

Reasonably quick update of map 56, which might leave you in a worse cliffhanger than before XD

Est joins up with the Allied Army with probably more than what anyone expected and Misheil's still a troublemaker. I don't want to spoil too much of this, but there's so much going on on the emotional level. Poor people...

3 more until the finale, 7 til the end...

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the late update, but map 57 is now available for all :D We're now in the final bend of the manga as a whole. Who expected any of this madness to happen!?

In terms of this chapter though, so much drama...!! I shan't spoil anything, but if anyone can contribute about pages 107-109:

tumblr_ma5vl2zAdD1qeptiu_zps8b4581ac.gif

I don't get what's going on at all.

I'll probably write my own review once the final is released, but I personally would like to see what everyone else thinks of the series as a whole. Would you recommend it to other people? Did you think that the manga has been an overall success or did certain aspects of it fall short and became disappointing for you? Did you feel that the characters were developed (considering FE1 and FE11 didn't really have the support system in place) or would you have liked to see more interactions between person A and person B?

Anyhow, now is the time to go wild and evaluate the nearly 12 volumes in its entirety! 2 maps to go to the finale, 6 to go for us.

CHAPTER, CHAPTER, YAY~! *happy dance*

What's so odd about 107-109? A little too quick, but...

AH-HAHAH YAY, he's back! \o/ ...Though jeez, why couldn't he get there, like, a minute sooner. :| Typical hero-shows-up-at-the-last-minute.

Review? Um...uh... It's...a lot of fun... YEAH I suck at this.

-It deviates from the canon story a bit too much, particularly with Abel and with Klaus, but these new parts are interesting.

-Some characters seem a bit off (in my opinion Kain and Abel are just whatthefuck) but they're at least consistent within the manga.

-The character interactions are great and really funny at times. Julian is awesome.

-A lot of different characters get some screen time here and there instead of just being left in the dust. I think Raddy and Caesar were left in the dust in Warren, though, grrr.

It is a fun read. And it's more Akaneia stuff! :D

And...I don't say this lightly: It's like a dream come true for me. I'm very fond of Akaneia's characters and stories, so having something like this manga, which delves a littler deeper into the characters... Being able to experience it is surreal.

Thank you, everyone, for continuing to work on translating this manga. Thank you so much.

Thanks for your comments Tsamimi - I certainly see what you mean about the parts deviating from the main story a bit too much and it's nice to see who especially takes you interest :D Good point about Caesar and Radd - FE12 certainly gave them some background and it would certainly have been cool to see a bit of character development.

Sorry I should have explained a bit more about what I meant. Please don't read this if you haven't read the latest update.

[spoiler=Pages 107-109]What I don't get is that the second/third panel shows that Kain's sword breaks there. Whether that's because Klaus is insanely strong or because he used up all his uses, that doesn't matter.

As such, who is it who manages to slice Klaus? Is this actually genuine or did Abel do something like throw a javelin (which I can't see)? The other thing I can think of is that Kain had another weapon up his sleeve that we can't see.

Not to mention, does anyone have an idea of who says "I've got you"? Is this something that Kain would say? I dunno, I feel like I'm missing something.

Good lord, I didn't even notice the sword broke...

It seems as though Kain just attacked anyway with the broken sword. He's not phased in the slightest. Klaus says "You can't kill me with a thing like--" so Kain was just responding to that? Like "Ha, I got you anyway." It's suspicious, though; the panel behind gives the impression the voice is coming from elsewhere. Might have been Klaus: he attacks right after so it could have been a you-fell-for-my-trap thing. Unlikely though, because Klaus looks like he's REALLY in shock.

...Or maybe Klaus is literally falling apart; his hand was giving him problems before and it seems he isn't...human, at any rate. Doesn't explain that voice though.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I'll take that :D

It hasn't been long since the last update, but we've gotten round now to getting map 28 finalised. In a lot of ways this is very appropriate with what's coming up next, but please remember that this is a long time ago. I'm still trying to work out how Linda's hair is still intact after being in a turban for x days/months in a jail cell...

I love it when baddies squabble...it makes them look like politicians.

5 more to go...! Enjoy.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the delay - October has been and gone, and with that so has Halloween and Bonfire Night (thank goodness - too much stress for my poor dog!)

So then, we now have map 29 in stock for web viewing :) People may also realise that I have put up CW's translations just to build the bridge a bit. This is solely for basic understanding of the story and we are in the process of replacing them.

Fortunately, this map also includes a better quality version of page 118, but save for that it's a lot of Linda appreciation. She really gets introduced strong in this. Generally speaking it's quite a fluffy chapter :) Several buddy-buddy chats but still bringing the story forwards.

I already have my proofread script of 30 at hand, so I hope it won't be as long for the next update. On the other hand, I haven't heard from CW at all since the latest update, so I can only hope that it is because he is bogged down with work rather than anything else. In any case, please be patient with us and we will let you know as soon as we have anything to share!

Weehee, 4 to go!!

• 3 weeks later...

And as promised, map 30 is now available. As such, this now bridges somewhat with the rest of the story. The only thing left is a gaiden chapter between Maric and Marth. Hopefully for those who chose to wait, the story makes a little bit more sense! This one also has the most natural Julian joke I have come across. Whilst the others took a while to get going, this one actually came quite naturally...

[spoiler=This chapter and the next remind me of Attack on Titan when...]...Eren gets eaten right in front of Armin and Mikasa doesn't have a clue yet. Not to mention Armin's subsequent breakdown.

Not sure if anyone's noticed, but I've also cleared the SkyDrive parent file considerably, so now there aren't random maps in the outmost layer. This is mainly because...dun dun dun, I need order for when I do more manga translations XD I have spoken to Shin already and, once we're done with 30.1, we will move swiftly onto our next project. Fortunately every other FE1 manga isn't nearly as long as this one!! Needless to say, I'll edit the external links section when we're in a position to release.

I have also sent the SOS to CalculusWhiz, but I haven't heard anything. I'll let you know as soon as I do.

In the meantime, enjoy. The next one, despite being short, has a considerable amount of background editing I need to sort out.

Edit: it's all under control, CalculusWhiz is still around. He was just a bit busy, so we can all stop worrying now :)

Edited by Crazy Foxie

• 1 month later...

I think it's been about 3 months, but there is now some progress on the final chapters of this manga. Unfortunately this isn't an update per se (I will be busy most of this week), but just to keep you all in the loop, everything is in hand. We promise. It may take a few more weeks, but we're almost there.

To keep you folks otherwise engaged, some of you may have seen me sneak on a few scans on the OneDrive. This relates to a thread (also linked on the first post) about the All of Fire Emblem guidebook. Although essentially obsolete in this day and age, the art in it is very impressive and I believe is entirely official. I got it from Amazon.jp, so hopefully that's good enough.

Thank you all for your patience and I'll post again with perhaps better news!

• 1 month later...

Happy belated Valentine's :) Hope that everyone had a fantastic day and spent it with those you love/end up doing what you love doing most. (if you're like me, that apparently means getting up at 13:15 XD)

I guess now is as good a time as any to publish...chapter 30.1! This concludes volume 6, so the entire download is up for grabs! It was a pain to do the background, internal thoughts but I had done a lot of it before. Enjoy the Marth and Maric fluff in the meantime.

I haven't heard anything extra from CW since, but 58 is with him at the moment and I'm gradually getting through 59. I will be on holiday shortly, so please sit tight.

Much love to Shin and CW for putting up with me, and also to you guys for supporting this project xxx

Cheers Alex :)

Rather unexpectedly, map 58 is now officially ready! Might have been worth waiting a few days for a double update, but eh. What lucky people you are...!

Needless to say, the curtains are starting to close on this and there is some significant development in these last few pages. If anyone starts writing fanfiction on this (I'm the opposite to CW), let me know. This whole chapter is amazing. Not to mention that page 146 is like my favourite of favourite pages - I've been waiting to get to this point for sooooooo long!!! Including everything relating to Jeorge and Wolf.

I don't think the final update is going to be quite as speedy as CWhiz makes it out to be, but I will do my best XD The onus is on me though - I have the scripts, but I have to make some tweaks to each page and there's about 50 of them?

Thanks for all your support and let's march on to the finale!

• 1 month later...

Yes you are reading the heading right. Without further ado, map 59 and the final chapter of this long series is now ready. I must say that it seems to bring up more questions than answers, but hey! An ending is better than an incomplete series.

I think CW has covered off most of the sentimentalities in the end note, however I too want to say a few words. Huge thanks go naturally to Shin, Darros and CalculusWhiz for putting up with my craziness and persistent nagging. Three years of it. Sorry if I annoyed any of you, but it has been great working with you all. You are all amazing people.

And, naturally, thank you to all you good readers who have followed the updates on here. Hope you've enjoyed the ride and, despite it being so long, I hope that it has been worth it. Even if you've only posted once or you're a guest just downloading and unable to comment, that was motivation for me and I'm glad that we managed to see this project to the end.

Stay tuned for future developments - I have plenty to scan and maaaaaybe even translate...

Finished? This is what I suggest to do next.

Contact VincentASM to make update to this page: http://serenesforest.net/gallery/manga/dark-dragon-and-sword-of-light/

It's just my suggestion though, it's okay if you don't want to do it.

EDIT 1: I just realized the "unusual" page 199

EDIT 2: Just to inform manga lovers, I found another project thread here. (they need translators, and since this manga is done...)

Edited by Kristian

• 3 years later...