Animation Sheets

Ziose0

I've had this topic sitting around on another site, so I thought, might as well move it here for some extra critiques:

Okay so I'm trying to learn how to insert animations and the first step of course is making one. So this is about where I am on my sprite sheet:

sparrowpromotedspritesh.png

Just some splicing here and there. But the issue I'm having is finding a transition from getting ready to attack and attacking, and a transition to go back to the normal stance. Any ideas would be greatly appeciated :D

Also, I forgot to give the magic sword frames, I know.

olderritzaspritesheet.png

not so sure about the part where she jumps right before she hits because when she's about to actually hit, it looks off. Uhh, if someone could tell me where I can upload .gifs that'd be great, because the site I was using before wouldnt upload all the frames, and imageshack makes it an image instead of a gif.

And It's still pretty choppy, especially since I couldnt find a good online animation-making site, but this is the prototype for her:

256c4e2b549c73576602ee6e9c0f9632.gif

This was the first animation of this sprite I made before all of the frames were finished, but this is somewhat what her critical will be. She's part dragon so I do see a problem with her having super strength, but would a kick be more appropiate, or at least seem better for the situation?

The second's pants are directly taken from Tethys, Sholes. The only reason it looks that way is because he used darker colors. The problem isn't the shading, it's the fact that the colors are darker than the outline.

Well, you can use your own colors, but you need to lighten them so that the colors aren't darker than the outline.

I also think you could stand to have another frame or two in the jumpback in Ritza's sheet. After the flip, specifically. The transition looks like it's going to be too shoddy.

Try any of the basic/common image hosting sites, like Botophucket Photobucket or Imageshack.

As for inserting anims, check the hacking section for custom anim tutorials. I'm sure there're plenty.

As for actually making animated gifs, the best thing I can think of is probably Fireworks or ImageReady, but if you're a cheapskate like me, UnFREEZ works well enough (albeit it's a tad slow). There's also Coffeecup animator, amongst other things. Don't use online animators. They're full of fail and don't offer very good frame delay options.

Edited by uJELLY

Sparrow seems like his actual sword stroke would go a bit too fast, a problem I have with IS's myrmidon.

And I think you have each sprite in the second second row of Ritza's sheet facing the wrong way (the beginning and end poses are mirror of eachother, not symetrical), which isn't a big deal. Give him/her a different map sprite though.

Well frankly I've read the animation insertion tutorial...and I just didn't get it, I don't know why. So I mean, I would appreciate it if once I finished someone could just possibly package it for me...

But Deranger, I mean, I have animations of the sprites in the full animation, it looks pretty clean working right for Sparrow, and with the other sprite sheet, I have the flip going the right way in the animation, just not on the sheet.

I've made a

a while back maybe it'll help? It uses the free programs Game Maker, and Microsoft Gif Animator.

I like the idea of the brawler chick, but its missing a lot of frames especially in the attack and the retreat to neutral frames. Also its weird that in her attacking frames shes on one foot then moves off of it, the lands of that same foot.

For the Guy check out Lyn's unpromoted crit. The frames she uses for when shes retreating with that slide have some potential for moving in for the attack ("transition from getting ready to attack and attacking").

Okay so I've used coffeecup to make the animation, but I can't upload it. Photobucket keeps turning it into a png, or the animation just isn't working when I upload it with Imageshack...

Okay so I've used coffeecup to make the animation, but I can't upload it. Photobucket keeps turning it into a png, or the animation just isn't working when I upload it with Imageshack...

Photobucket displays GIFs just fine ._.

Warrior-Axe.gif

Sorry that wasn't photobucket ;.; ....

Anyways, here's the frames of Sparrow's normal and critical attack, but the frames look odd and move in intervals for some reason. But it's just a beta so..

sparrowattack.gif

sparrowcriticalattack.gif

And My brawler's melee attack and critical, updated but still in beta:

RitzaNormalMeleeAttack.gif

RitzaMeleeCriticalAttack.gif

For the brawler I have put in a frame where she jumps right before she hits, but if I put in that one, I believe I'll have to change the fram where she actually hits so I'll work on showing that option of attack soon

Yeah I noticed that a minute ago. I'll just shorten the range. But that's no issue, the thing I'm trying to figure out is if the frames are even gonna work as is? Like the critical for the Sparrow looks off to me for some reason. Maybe it's just the intervals the animation cuts it in, but I don't know.

It'll work fine. The awkward part now is that your blur frames have a lot of time in the animation. If you script them for a hack, just put them for a lot shorter time :P Usually around 3 frames for blur frames.

Couldn't I just have it just all run as one animation? With the transforming and attack? All it would mean is that they don't transform until they attack right? And I just have to hack them transform back to human after every attack. More time in the animation but I thought that would save me having to get a headache of ASM. I'm probably saving this for FE8 though anyways

You'd have to set up the animation to get them to un-transform between attacks. There's no way to get them to stay transformed without ASM (none of us can figure out how Myrrh works).

And I'm not even getting into keeping this animation limited to the same set of 16 colors the entire way.

Okay, yeah I'm not really that concerned with them staying transformed until afterwards...because yeah I've read topics about people trying to figure out Myrrh's transformation...<_<

As for colors, I actually don't see that as beeing a problem since it's just 3 fur(hair) colors, and then the talons and eyes can be used from the untransformed person. So I think it could work fine and still be 15 colors. Then again this is all still just a test.

Hmm...I was going for anothing custom female swordfighter. It starting looking okay but it still was too much lyn, so I got some inspiration from Ichigo (bleach) and tried something different with a different kind of critical at the end. Not sure how it worked out though. But it is just a prototype (other one...)

Sigridcriticalattackdemo-1.gif

Somehow the frame space got bigger during the animation... *shrugs*

Anyways here's the updated critical for her:

NewSigridcriticalattackdemo.gif

Edited by ziose0