What if we're even smaller than we think

Aran613

I've been investigating these theories and I want to see what the other members think.

Do you believe in these theories? Why or why not?

I mean, there's no right answer, we have no idea about any of this, so why not discuss?

I personally think that something similar to that system exists, but, I think that it's almost impossible to imagine us being that small.

No, I don't. There's no proof. Those are just baseless, senseless crackpot "theories".

It reminds me of those people that think reality isn't real. Those people make me sick.

Edited by Soul

I've been investigating these theories and I want to see what the other members think.

Do you believe in these theories? Why or why not?

I mean, there's no right answer, we have no idea about any of this, so why not discuss?

I personally think that something similar to that system exists, but, I think that it's almost impossible to imagine us being that small.

I don't think the question could even begin to be tackled properly if we're the ones thinking about it. Our capability of understanding is grossly limited--and too often speculation and explanation is curbed by what we expect to find, rather than what is.

I don't think the question could even begin to be tackled properly if we're the ones thinking about it. Our capability of understanding is grossly limited--and too often speculation and explanation is curbed by what we expect to find, rather than what is.

So then why do we discuss anything that we don't know about?

Our universe and everything in and around it is too vast and we know basically nothing about it. It's more than I care to even think about, so I just carry on with my life.

Our universe and everything in and around it is too vast and we know basically nothing about it. It's more than I care to even think about, so I just carry on with my life.

But sometimes, don't you have to wonder what's beyond us? And how everything works at the largest levels?

I find it hard to restrain myself from these tangents where I mentally explore all the possibilities with an open mind.

But sometimes, don't you have to wonder what's beyond us? And how everything works at the largest levels?

I find it hard to restrain myself from these tangents where I mentally explore all the possibilities with an open mind.

Yeah I know what you mean.

On the off chance that I do actually attempt to think about these kinds of things, I usually end up giving myself a headache because my mind simply can't comprehend that sort of scale.

Yeah I know what you mean.

On the off chance that I do actually attempt to think about these kinds of things, I usually end up giving myself a headache because my mind simply can't comprehend that sort of scale.

While I am often frustrated by the complexity of the concepts, I just try to remember how fascinating it all is that it happened to be all that way, and that everything is the way it is, and still intact, etc. It's amazing to see such a complex possible system, and even if they don't exist, our universe itself is still interesting enough to see. That's the fun of discussing theories, we know little to nothing about them, so speculation is not correct nor incorrect.

Theories go so far, but this is based on absolutely nothing. So no, as far as I'm concerned, there's nothing outside of our universe.

If only somebody would actually have just a sliver of evidence that something exists outside of our universe, that would be a completely different story altogether. But considering there isn't, and I doubt there ever will be, to be honest, no, there's nothing else.

Theories go so far, but this is based on absolutely nothing. So no, as far as I'm concerned, there's nothing outside of our universe.

If only somebody would actually have just a sliver of evidence that something exists outside of our universe, that would be a completely different story altogether. But considering there isn't, and I doubt there ever will be, to be honest, no, there's nothing else.

Lots of things have started as theories, but with time, the answers came. It's one thing to have no faith in something, but it's another to have the slightest bit of curiosity, knowing that there is the possibility.

I mean, look back in the past. Apparently at one point, everything revolved around the Earth. To believe that we have come that far to even find that Earth is moving around the sun, and that our solar system is moving with a galaxy is amazing. We have advanced a lot, and what's to say that it's impossible that there will be a breakthrough about it?

No, I don't. There's no proof. Those are just baseless, senseless crackpot "theories".

It reminds me of those people that think reality isn't real. Those people make me sick.

How does that relate? And how is there proof that there isn't anything like that?

If our universe occured through the big bang, what stops another universe from being created in the same way? There is no way to prove it sure, but you can't just discard the possibility of another universe being created through the same method. Even if said universe is parallel to ours and we have no connection to it in anyway we know (or can know).

But you can't be sure of that what you experience and feel is true!

If our universe occured through the big bang, what stops another universe from being created in the same way? There is no way to prove it sure, but you can't just discard the possibility of another universe being created through the same method. Even if said universe is parallel to ours and we have no connection to it in anyway we know (or can know).

But you can't be sure of that what you experience and feel is true!

If the big bang was caused by a compression of matter, since matter from the current big bang is accelerating, how did that compression occur (or did it really occur)? How do we know there hasn't been another big bang within our universe, especially before the one we theorize about? And to contradict your point, though t he universe as we know it may all come after the big bang, how do we know there wasn't something before. (at the very least, the "dark energy" or other such t hings which are theorized to cause the acceleration that has been observed)

So then why do we discuss anything that we don't know about?

There's this phrase that says

"How do we know what we need to know, if we don't know all there is to know"

So, it's because we're all on a quest for knowledge and understanding the human condition and human nature.

Harpoon attempted to make an intelligent post WTF has the world come to???

There's this phrase that says

"How do we know what we need to know, if we don't know all there is to know"

So, it's because we're all on a quest for knowledge and understanding the human condition and human nature.

Harpoon attempted to make an intelligent post WTF has the world come to???

As to the question you posted, we don't need to know anything. If you don't know how to do something you want to do, all that occurs is failure - proves you didn't need to know. Need is just a disguise for want.

Or, alternatively, we don't know what we need to know, because we die.

Edited by Jet Black Gunner

The way I see it, there are no borders. We are giants in our own rights. Something has to make up the cells we are composed of, something has to make those cells, and something makes those; this goes right down to electrons. Quirks are the smallest observed things, yet the string theory suggests that everything is made of said strings. But what makes these strings? As I said, there may be no borders in terms of the smallest things or the largest, finite spaces. Who's to say our universe is not just part of a massive organism or something that we cannot see, completely composed from millions of universes? Are our own particles/atoms/quirks/strings universes within themselves?

When I think about this stuff, this is the kind of shit I think of, and I get to a certain point where I have to stop because I begin to fear for the state of my mentality.

Aran has been reading Infinite Crisis and Crisis on Multiple Earths, hasn't he?

Anyways, if there is a parellell universe, and we all were the opposite, I'd probobly be....very well off, but without any sense of ethics, moral, or knowledge of right 'n wrong..

Not to mention being complete opposite physically....

Also, if we want to do something that we don't know how to do, would we not look up a source of information so that we can gain the knowledge on how to do it?

Also, just imagine, SF when all of us are the complete opposite in personality, skills, and physically.

Ok, I need to get out of this thread before I get to the Nth level of insanity.

If something exists outside our universe (if that even makes sense), almost by definition it isn't worth thinking or worrying about.

This universe is pretty unimaginably big anyway.

Something cannot exist outside our universe and be said to be its own verse, really. The universe is defined as the sum total of all spacetime.

How this approaches the idea of a multiverse I'm not really sure. Everyone here is associated with the idea of "another dimension", the idea where something zigged where it should have zagged at one specific point in time. Multiple worlds theory and all that jazz. But I've always wondered exactly where this other world is supposed to be. If the universe is all spacetime, then where exactly are all of these multiple worlds supposed to exist physically? Layman's explanations always come down to some kind of layers explanation, but I find it impossible to visualize.

the theory I currently believe most plausible;

the big bang was a reaction that divided nothing into a positive energy and a negative energy. everything we know is made of this positive energy, while the negative energy is constantly being pushed away by the positive that is still being 'created'.

something like that, I don't think I explained exactly right though. saw this on one of those discovery "curiosity" episodes.

with the expanding infinitely, it sure is possible there is a planet that has someone looking and living same as everyone here. though that would be an infinite amount solar systems away, no way we'd ever get to see them.

Lots of things have started as theories, but with time, the answers came. It's one thing to have no faith in something, but it's another to have the slightest bit of curiosity, knowing that there is the possibility.

I mean, look back in the past. Apparently at one point, everything revolved around the Earth. To believe that we have come that far to even find that Earth is moving around the sun, and that our solar system is moving with a galaxy is amazing. We have advanced a lot, and what's to say that it's impossible that there will be a breakthrough about it?

It's in my nature to be curious about things. However, with theories like this, that are based on absolutely nothing, I just don't see the point in even thinking about it.

Everything revolved around the Earth once, yes. Or so they thought. But then evidence (keyword!) was found that this may actually not be the case. Theories have to be based on something before they are worth discussing.

Theory: 2 + 2 = 3. Discuss.

Edited by Tino

It's in my nature to be curious about things. However, with theories like this, that are based on absolutely nothing, I just don't see the point in even thinking about it.

Everything revolved around the Earth once, yes. Or so they thought. But then evidence (keyword!) was found that this may actually not be the case. Theories have to be based on something before they are worth discussing.

Theory: 2 + 2 = 3. Discuss.

Oh, crap, I don't know. I failed all my math classes in middle school!

But, seriously, test that theory, will you? For a theory to become an accepted law, it must go through tons of testing until it's proven true.

That could be proven within a very very short matter of time. On this scale, probably not even in our lifetimes.

the theory I currently believe most plausible;

the big bang was a reaction that divided nothing into a positive energy and a negative energy. everything we know is made of this positive energy, while the negative energy is constantly being pushed away by the positive that is still being 'created'.

something like that, I don't think I explained exactly right though. saw this on one of those discovery "curiosity" episodes.

with the expanding infinitely, it sure is possible there is a planet that has someone looking and living same as everyone here. though that would be an infinite amount solar systems away, no way we'd ever get to see them.

You mean matter and antimatter?

That has to do with B- decay, I thought...

Edited by Aran613

But, seriously, test that theory, will you? For a theory to become an accepted law, it must go through tons of testing until it's proven true.

Yes, and for a theory to be tested, there first needs to be something the theory is based on.

I'm starting to feel like this becomes less and less about what the topic was supposed to be about...