Rate the Unit, BONUS 2: Ruins Units

Dat Rules

- Ratings are assumed to be on Difficult Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted (unless they fall into the general parameters of the average rating, but reasoning is still strongly encouraged on those even if you just wanna quote people) — incredibly low scores or high scores without proper justification will not be counted. Don't put in some random text thinking it'd count as justification. Put in at least a little thought and give REAL reasoning.

- Numbers for votes, please - not something like "Marcus/10", etc. Proper justification will be determined by me and whoever decides to help, whether it be Integrity and Integrity again or sometegrity else.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is okay, but no more.

- Votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Makes it easy to calculate, please and thank you~!

- Every ranking phase ends whenever I get out of bed, between 0700 and 0800 EST. Do the math for your timezone, Brits.

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- Ratings for characters should always assume the gameplay route YOU judge them best on. If I see "doesn't exist on ephraim" ANYWHERE in your rating for Innes I will be very cross and will probably throw out your vote out of spite.

Average Ratings

Amelia: 1.65

Ewan: 1.74

Marisa: 2.05

Neimi: 2.24

Gilliam: 3.27

Knoll: 3.67

Rennac: 4.09

Dozla: 4.28

L'Arachel: 4.31

Ross: 4.33

Syrene: 4.66

Lute: 4.80

Myrrh: 5.86

Joshua: 6.02

Innes: 6.20

Natasha: 6.27

Colm: 6.32

Garcia: 6.88

Kyle: 6.89

Moulder: 6.89

Artur: 6.92

Forde: 7.04

Tana: 7.33

Eirika: 7.34

Duessel: 7.96

Saleh: 8.04

Ephraim: 8.13

Vanessa: 8.16

Cormag: 8.22

Gerik: 8.29

Tethys: 8.30

Franz: 9.32

Seth: 9.91

TOWER UNITS:

Orson: 2.88

Caellach: 4.00

Selena: 4.00

Ismaire: 4.19

Riev: 6.54

why does eclipse make me do things i hate

time for Glen, Hayden, Valter, Fado, and Lyon. For the love of fuck, please do them in that order.

Glen

He's simply Cormag with kinda worse stats and flies! At least I have something to use to ferry sluggish people.

Hayden

Since my playstyle always brings horses to the table; it doesn't hurt much as you can use Longbows and kill off those pesky flying enemies. Although your stats kinda reek.

5.0, he gets a sliver of points due to the fact that he can be annoying to those Gargoyles.

Valter

Apparently, you bring another Fili Shield and can Pierce enemies. Too bad there are way better users of that Fili Shield! *looks at Tana and Vanessa*

4.0, he gets a deduction for being utterly creepy.

Fado

Is a snail... Give me your weapons and warm the bench plz!

Lyon

Simply Knoll Deluxe V2.0 who joins so late; it's not funny! He has better summons though and has Naglfar which has unlimited uses and Physic right off the bat. Shame he had to join so late...

3.5, He gets some extra points for having staff and summon utility; although you already cleared CC.

Edited by Frostbite

Glen-

5/10 Slightly worse Cormag.

Hayden-

8/10

gives us a shitton of cash, 2 holy weapons and sends Nessie, Gilliam and Moulder to join our army.

And mount

Fado-

lolGeneral

1/10

Lyon-

Nice, but late-

But he has dat tome, dat staff rank and dat hammerne!

3/10

Valter-

flier, fili sheild

Creepy as fuck

3.5/10

Glen - Meh. Usable, but why? 2/10

Hayden - This guy is awesome! Throughout the story he gives you 15,000 gold and he sends the legendary weapons Vidofnir and Nidhogg to the party as well! 7/10

Valter - More meh. 2/10

Fado - The hardest challenge in the game is complete. 0.5/10

Lyon - The game is over 0/10

Edited by OrangeCrush

Glen - 5/10. Fairly slow, but otherwise solid.

Hayden - 5.5/10. He can use bows to pick off annoying Deathgoyles.

Valter - 3/10. Being frail with low luck is not good when there's boosted crit weapons around.

Fado - 1/10.

Lyon - 0/10. Oh boy. Not only does he require THREE Ruins clears to unlock, he's just plain awful despite all the trouble you have to go through to unlock him. What the hell, IS?

Edited by Metal King Slime

Glen: Would have been awesome if you hadn't already done, like, every single thing there was to do besides repeat the ruins by the time he joined. If Valter hadn't killed him... :/ That said, not too great once he does join, even if there was much stuff left to be great at doing. 3.5/10

Hayden: Bad stats, crappy availability, lacks 1-2 range. 2/10

Valter: We killed you like 8 chapters ago so obviously my units are way better than you now, and there's still almost nothing left to do. 1/10, because I also hate you for story reasons.

Fado: 5 MOV no availability .5/10

Lyon: Why would I ever do anything after I get you? I've played every chapter in the game and done the tower and ruins three times each. I guess I could try and get a skirmish on that one map that was unused during the main game? Oh, and then you'll die anyways because you have 0 AS. Fun fun! 0/10

Edited by Rewjeo

OH DICKS

okay but how are we even meant to score these douchebags, they make no measurable contribution to anything

By their vaguely-defined "creature campaign contributions". I don't even fucking know, man, just rate them someway that's not 0/10 doesn't exist in the whole game and I probably won't care.

Or just don't. I didn't. I only did this because Eclipse asked me to.

Hayden - 5/10, gives you 15000G

Valter - 2/10, gives you Fili shield

Lyon - 0/10 only gives you Nosferatu

Glen - 0/10, gives you nothing, the prick

Fado - 5/10, promotes Ephraim and Eirika

Glen, Hayden, Valter, Fado, and Lyon

Glen: Pfthahaha. 3.5/10 for being Cormag's brother.

Hayden: Totally 15/10 for giving you Vanessa Crapstats, 2/10

Valter: Fili Shield/10. Also known as 2/10

Fado: 1/10 for being bad.

Lyon: Would be 4/10 if he weren't so late. For that, 1/10

I'm counting silver and member cards, and a lot of money. I always have these, so infinite statboosters exist

Glen, Hayden and Fado

nothing special, any other unit can do what they can. only they'd be level 20/20.

2/10

Valter

same as the others, but he has pierce. barely useful, but I really like it

2/10 +1 means 3/10

Lyon

as a unit he'd get an 8.5. though his late joining would make him useless.

8.5/10 + 1/10 /2 = 4.75/10

What to say about Glen...you get him half way through your first full run on CC. Wow, his stats are pretty good! Everything you want from a Wyvern Lord. His only downsides are shared with most Wyvern Lords: Speed, RES, and Luck. Otherwise, he'll probably max out his strength and skill. His starting items aren't much to talk about though: A silver lance, a silver sword, and more money. Still, it helps that he's an A/A in his weapon ranks. Plus he can ferry people around, which especially helps on the 7th floor of the Ruins (or whatever one has the water and disappearing bridges, I forget). I'll give him a 6/10.

Hayden, king of Frelia...is a Ranger of all units...I mean I knew he used bows according to the support conversations, but still...well, he's better than Snipers in that he can at least defend himself at close range. He's like Riev in that you have to kill 200 enemies to get him. Is he worth it? YES. Coming in at level 10 with well rounded stats, an A/A weapon ranking, and the ability to ferry people around, this king has plenty of room to grow (not like Fado, but I'll get to him in a bit). It's easier to get him than Riev, actually, since the Ruins likes to give out reinforcements. His weapons however...are just like Glen's: Silver Bow, Silver Sword, and money, but I'm willing to overlook that since he's the first well balanced extra unit: an 8/10 for me. 1 point is lost the ruins aren't horse friendly sometimes and the other point is lost due to this question: WHERE THE HECK WAS THIS GUY DURING THE MAIN STORY?! Just because he's a king doesn't mean that he has to watch over his country the whole friggin time! Look at Ephraim! He left his country without a ruler and Renais was doing just fine after Orson died! *grumbles about how much better Hayden is compared to Innes*

Ah Valter, the pervert...his infatuation over Eirika is just...ew...Is it just me, or do most of the CC units start with abysmal luck? He comes in with the second Felia shield in the game, which is just what any flier needs! And he has a spear too, always nice. Eh, silver lances are OK at this point. His stats are similar to Glen...only both superior and inferior at the same time. On the one hand, he has great resistance and speed for a Wyvern unit at his level and he has an S in lances. On the other hand, his strength is lacking compared to most Wyvern units. My guess is that he was a very unlucky Pegasus Knight at some point, which is just...odd to say the least. However, he starts at level 13, so he has some room to get his stats up without using items. You get him by clearing the 7th floor, which isn't too bad, but I think he should be switched with Fado(details on that later). As a Wyvern Knight, he has pierce, which can be helpful (unless your game freezes), especially against the 10 Draco Zombies at the end. Plus, being a flying unit means instant ferry. With all six Flying Units out, you can terrorize the skies! While I'm not particularly fond of the guy, I'll give him a 7.5 out of 10. I would have given him an 8 out of 10 but he loses half a point for just being plain creepy.

Fado, former king of Felia, and father of the blue-haired twins...with stats like those, no wonder he got killed so easily. Is this guy really your reward for taking on 10 Draco Zombies with no place to run? Unfortunately, yes...He comes in with Silver weapons, nothing terribly spectacular about that, and a Master Seal/more money. His stats...are meh at best for a General at his level. Let's put it this way: without stat boosters, the only stat he could possibly max out is his strength, and average stats say even that's unlikely. Plus he's a General, and their mobility is horid, and they can't be rescued by most units. Not worth going through the ruins once. Switch him with Hayden or Valter. 2.5/10, with his only redeeming factor being Great Shield. Now go sit down with Selena over there...old fart...

Lyon can be described in one word: epic. I can see why the Demon King decided to keep his body instead of moving to another body! Definitely worth going through the ruins 3 times, unlike a certain Mage Knight. He's the only unit who can get an S/S rank, he has the only weapon with unlimited uses, and his stats besides his luck, speed, and skill are really good. He also comes in with a Physic, which is always handy, and the only other Hammerne in the game, which means, if you have both of them, you can keep repairing your weapons FOREVER! Really do like his starting weapons...He doesn't have much room to grow, and he won't max any of his stats, but his starting stats and weapons make up for it. I'd ask where him the same question I asked King Hayden, but he has the excuse of being possessed by an evil being and dying in the end. If only we could have gotten that tome in the main game...an 8.5/10, losing a point and a half because he's such an epic unit...but he can't be used for anything outside of CC sadly. =( Edit: I completely forgot that, being a Necromancer, he gets to summon Phantoms a.k.a. Cannon fodder! So he's basically a better Summoner! For that, I'll give him half a point back: 9/10.

And that's my two cents on almost all the FE8 units. Thanks to Integrity for allowing us to voice our opinions and thoughts via these Ratings.

Edit: ...I went overboard with my explanations again, didn't I?

Edited by Rexaura888

Lyon can be described in one word: epic. I can see why the Demon King decided to keep his body instead of moving to another body! Definitely worth going through the ruins 3 times, unlike a certain Mage Knight. He's the only unit who can get an S/S rank, he has the only weapon with unlimited uses, and his stats besides his luck, speed, and skill are really good. He also comes in with a Physic, which is always handy, and the only other Hammerne in the game, which means, if you have both of them, you can keep repairing your weapons FOREVER! Really do like his starting weapons...He doesn't have much room to grow, and he won't max any of his stats, but his starting stats and weapons make up for it.

More like epic fail for all that trouble, if you ask me... Lousy stats AND an equally lousy tome for completing the ruins thrice? NOT WORTH IT. Also, you can't repair a Hammerne. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Glen:

Pros:

Flies.

Ok defense.

Better res than Cormag (if i recall).

Cons:

Cormag is better at everything save maybe res.

3/10

Hayden:

Pros:

Horsie for ok move.

Decent weapon ranks.

Has some money giving swag on him.

Cons:

Low HP.

Not all that great for combat aside from 2-range.

3/10

Valter:

Pros:

Flies.

Comes with another Fili Shield. woo.

A little bit on the tanky side.

Cons:

Lance lock of doom.

Overall, kinda meh.

Creeper.

4/10

Fado:

Pros:

Has some sweet swag.

Cons:

He really kinda smells.

Bad speed.

Strength is meh for his class.

1/10

Lyon:

:wub:

Pros:

Sexy.

Can summon.

Staff use. (i think)

Weapon never breaks!!!

Still can grow a bit.

Cons:

Not as tanky as his boss self. :(

Kind of a bitch to unlock!

I really like Lyon. Hes pretty cool. What? I like looking at him! :o:

7/10 Yeah bias.

Cons:

Not as tanky as his boss self. :(

Kind of a bitch to unlock!

I'd also add "Pathetic speed", and "lousy tome" (because 18 weight is ridiculous; hey, even an infinite use weapon can suck!).

Well he can spam Nosferatu. ;)

4 AS is little better than 0. Especially when you still face crit chances. Also, Nosferatu isn't buyable at that point.

I'd also add "Pathetic speed", and "lousy tome" (because 18 weight is ridiculous; hey, even an infinite use weapon can suck!).

You have infinite statboosters in creature campaign and you can buy body rings. Lyon has a lot of problems, but if you're going through the trouble of getting him, his weapon likely isn't one of them.

Edit: ...I went overboard with my explanations again, didn't I?

You didn't go overboard with your explanations either time. You just squirreled away your ratings in WALLS OF TEXT and that's why you're still a motherfucker. :p

I've never even unlocked Lyon yet. I've been trying to do so ... but every time I've gone through the ruins recently, something happens that makes me restart! I think one time, Lute or Artur got stoned at a stupid hit rate, then got crit-killed on the same EP to top it off.

... I'm pretty sure I have everyone but Lyon, though.

You didn't go overboard with your explanations either time. You just squirreled away your ratings in WALLS OF TEXT and that's why you're still a motherfucker. :p

Right, I'll keep that in mind next time there's another one of these votes.

More like epic fail for all that trouble, if you ask me... Lousy stats AND an equally lousy tome for completing the ruins thrice? NOT WORTH IT. Also, you can't repair a Hammerne. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Like I said, I haven't played much of CC. My review/votes were based on what I knew of the Extra Units in-game and what their stats are as listed on this site. I was pretty much satisfied in beating the main game and moved on to other FE games soon after, so I don't know too much about the Extra characters nor did I know that Hammerne was not repairable. Good to know though.

Also, looking at Lyon's maximum stats, seeing how he's the only Necromancer in the game, he has some of the best maximum stats in game, better than most magic users for that matter. It's a shame that you don't get to use him a la Lehran or his tome in the main game against the Demon King, but he's kind of dead at that point :p

Also, looking at Lyon's maximum stats, seeing how he's the only Necromancer in the game, he has some of the best maximum stats in game, better than most magic users for that matter. It's a shame that you don't get to use him a la Lehran or his tome in the main game against the Demon King, but he's kind of dead at that point :p

Which would actually matter if it weren't for the fact that all he is is a bragging rights reward. And even if you could use his tome against the DK, it's so stupidly heavy, you're better off with something else.

You're a sweetheart, Integrity~! Thanks~!

Here's what you do if you want to ramble like you're talking to your invisible friend:

Glen - 5.5/10

Hayden - 6.5/10

Valter - 3/10

Fado - 1/10

Lyon - 1/10

Explanations:

Glen - He's not too hard to obtain, and he can take physical hits. His AS and Res leave quite a bit to be desired, though. He gets the same rating as Orson because whatever gains he has in offense and defense are offset by his inability to take magic to the face (unless you give him S Swords, which is plenty doable in the Ruins).

Hayden - He comes at a very opportune time. He's light enough so that he can pick up most of the cast, and a Silver Bow hurts Deathgoyles. His bases don't look like much, but they're enough to do things like put a sizable dent in most enemies, and attack from a range most enemies can't counter.

Valter - If he swapped Luck with Hayden/Caellach, he'd be worth using. . .but as he stands, he'll need a Fili Shield and Hoplon Guard, and screw having 40% of his inventory space dedicated to keeping him alive. He's also susceptible to the Pierce glitch, since none of your playable units are forced to be Wyvern Knights.

Fado - Isn't going anywhere fast, isn't portable, and isn't worth the effort of Dracozombie spam.

Lyon - Selena looks like a prize compared to him. Summoning's nice, as is his sheer bulk, but his AS goes down the hole when he wields anything not named Flux. Selena can Bolting walls, Riev has Slayer. . .and Lyon has Phantoms. Whee. Next time, IS, give us a boss that isn't a total facepalm and a half.