Rate the Unit, Day 5: Bors

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Even against the Soldiers he is fairly bad. Remember that this is not FE7: Soldiers in this game have an abundance of HP and STR even if they have very little else. Chapter 3 Soldiers, for instance, have 17ATK so they 4HKO Bors=.

I'm fairly aware. However, they're the only enemies he even has a semblance of durability against, which is why I mentioned it. Maybe if he had real durability I'd given him an extra .5 or something. He's just an armour who can't even do his job.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

1/10

An armor knight in early game...really? Was IS trying something different with Boris or just decided to just laugh at him and stick him with Roy at the beginning of the game in a land full of axes? Thanks for the free iron now stay your ass back with Wolt, Boris. Too many questions are to be asked.

An early-game Knight with free deployment? Well, that's not so bad, at least he can tank a little for Roy and whatnot. Oh, what's that? He can't, because he's Lance-locked in maps filled with axes and so slow he risks getting doubled in short order? Hrm, well at least he can contribute with Javelins... oh, he can't hit anything with Javelins? Jesus, this guy sounds like an active detriment in maps where he's freely deployed! Oh... he is? Well then. I'm sure he gets better later, at least; late bloomer and all that, eventually turns into a brick wall of capped HP and DEF and enough SPD not to get doubled, surely?

...He doesn't even cap DEF on average? At 20/20!? Well then screw this guy.

I'm giving him a 1/10 not because I don't believe in going lower than 1, but because there are still people who are somehow worse than he is.

and 40% spd growth is wtf on an AK.

The first armour ever had 3 base speed and 40% growth

Anyhow. He can throw javelins at stuff and miss, run to the villages and almost die, then sit on the bench for the rest of the game.

.5/10

You know, I try giving this lad the benefit of the doubt but his growths, man. What the actual fuckage. He's an armour knight, and his Spd growth is higher than his Def and Str growths, at 40%. I don't care much about the fact his speed growth is good for an AK, it's just that it's higher than the Str and Def growths. And 4 move. Lances aren't renowned for their accuracy in this game, either. Near enough has everything going against him. Can't really do chip damage effectively because he can't even keep up with the rest of the units.

Worse than Wolt, and that's saying something.

He loses 5% because of his stupid hair.

10%.

Somehow, some way, he does less in free chapters than Wolt. He can't really chip, he moves slow as all hell, has mediocre durability, and gets doubled by a ton. The only thing he's actually good for is getting stuff from houses, which even Merlinus can do. 0/10.

I think people are rating some of these guys too highly, a lot of the cast in FE6 is incredibly worthless on HM. I understand that Wolt makes some minor contributions towards an efficient playthrough, so I can understand that, but Bors does nothing for almost any one. No clue how inaccurate and mediocre chip for 3 chapters is worth a 3.

Somehow, some way, he does less in free chapters than Wolt. He can't really chip, he moves slow as all hell, has mediocre durability, and gets doubled by a ton. The only thing he's actually good for is getting stuff from houses, which even Merlinus can do. 0/10.

I think people are rating some of these guys too highly, a lot of the cast in FE6 is incredibly worthless on HM. I understand that Wolt makes some minor contributions towards an efficient playthrough, so I can understand that, but Bors does nothing for almost any one. No clue how inaccurate and mediocre chip for 3 chapters is worth a 3.

Because there are ten numbers on the scale, and everything is relative. In a hypothetical FE where everyone has 0% growths and bases of 1 except one guy who has bases of 2 and 10% growths, the latter is Seth-tier, but one of the former could still rate a 7 if they were a Pegasus or Warper or something.

Rating both Wolt and Bors a 0 implies equivalence and equality of uselessness between them. This simply isn't true. 2-3 is still an aggressively sub-par score. 1-2 is considered terrible. 0-1 is basically reserved for the absolute worst units in the game, and as shitty as they are, Wolt and Bors are somehow not as bad as those units.

2/10, I've always managed to find a use for him on Chapter 6 plugging up one of the corridors (but not the main battle ground because the dedicated tank unit can't fucking tank) so he has a semblance of a use. He also gets minor use in Laus during the initial charge... when the enemy don't all head north and target the cavaliers anyway. but none of that makes up for map upon map of sucking shit.

ARMOR KNIGHTS NEED REGULAR MOVEMENT! I will keep screaming this fact until it happens, but IntSys still doesn't know what the fuck they are doing. In their minds it makes sense right? Strong unit hampered by movement, useful for chokepoints and breeches. But there are so few choke points and they can be plugged better by a unit not going to miss 90% of his attacks, while the poor old AK is still desperately trying to keep up. Bors wouldn't be a good unit by far (Lance locked during Axes which make up most of the early game) but having 5 movement when everyone else does would make him suck a lot less

Because there are ten numbers on the scale, and everything is relative. In a hypothetical FE where everyone has 0% growths and bases of 1 except one guy who has bases of 2 and 10% growths, the latter is Seth-tier, but one of the former could still rate a 7 if they were a Pegasus or Warper or something.

Rating both Wolt and Bors a 0 implies equivalence and equality of uselessness between them. This simply isn't true. 2-3 is still an aggressively sub-par score. 1-2 is considered terrible. 0-1 is basically reserved for the absolute worst units in the game, and as shitty as they are, Wolt and Bors are somehow not as bad as those units.

My point was that a 3 implies that he is about 1/3 as useful as Lance, Marcus, or Allen (Actually more than that.) which I think is incredibly generous. I can understand a rating of 1, if you think that being a smaller liability is better. But, while he can contribute a little more than Wendy and Sophia, it's very close to nothing contributed at all. This is all just my opinion of course. Maybe I don't know of strategies that effectively utilize him

I think Wendy'd have about the same score as Bors really. She at least helps break down that wall.

But my opinion on Wendy is reserved for the correct topic, when it eventually comes.

Well, the problem is that people think the ratings mean different things. I was thinking about this as it pertains to some of my later ratings. If it actually works that way ( a 3 is 1/3 as good as a 9), then even at a rating of 1, Bors still doesn't contribute a ninth of what Marcus does, so we'd have to give a lot of absurdly low ratings, and Sophia would have to get something like a 0.000004, which is ridiculous. So the only way this can really make sense is if the ratings are purely relative.

I think Wendy'd have about the same score as Bors really. She at least helps break down that wall.

But my opinion on Wendy is reserved for the correct topic, when it eventually comes.

I don't really consider that an argument, but this isn't the time or place, so I'm not going to pursue the subject further.

Bors. An armour with crap bases (to the point where he can't do his job outside of visiting that one village, but seriously, the village is a better unit than this prick) and growths that will never make up for them. 1/10, because if you are insane and do train him, he's still going to end up rubbish (unless you go COMPLETELY mad and stuff him full of boots and then you're doing it wrong).

EDIT: Grammar fail.

Edited by Epic Fail

Boris/Bors. That one guy with the silly hairdo.

Pros:

Good base defense.

Cons:

Bad bases everywhere else.

Meh growths.

Bad move.

Can barely hit the broad side of a barn.

Actually, i almost forgot this guy even existed. Also whats up with all the shitty units in this game? Man...

This guy just isnt gonna contribute much to the team. He would make an ok meat shield during those first two chapters but other than that, i cant see any real use for this guy. Even Gilliam was better as an early game armor. Meh.

1/10.