Editing the FE6 Patch

Popo

82 members have voted

1. 1. Should the name "Miledy" be kept or retranslated to something else?

2. 2. Should the name "Yuno" be changed to "Juno"?

Okay! That was going to be my next plan of action, but again, lazy tiemz. XD I'm glad that it wasn't actually a mode issue, probably just an eraser issue.

Thanks! <3

Edit:

Roy-Blink-2.gif

Fixed it!

Oh no... blinking frames again. XD

I'm sure as hell not hacking the ASM for it.

I'm pretty sure SuperLuigi's patch has a few blinking frames we can steal ask him for.

These were the few I did for the heck of it at one point. (Tate's outfit change being due to Bonestorm)

RoyAnimated.gifLilinaAnimatedFixed.gif

TateAnimated.gifYunoAnimated.gif

LanceAnimated.gifThanyAnimated.gif

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, damn. Yours is a lot better looking than mine. XD I had a tricky time with the intermediate blinking frame, but yours looks good. TEACH ME YOUR WAYS. TT__TT

You're getting a bitchin' picture of Ninian when all this is over, you know. I'll draw whatever you want. XD

The original thread I started:

lol. Click here.

I was bored and wasn't doing anything... and then the FE6 Support Library idea came to mind. And then anything FE6 related was that, instead of blinking frames. XD

Besides, Superluigi disappeared off the face of the earth.

...Though, again, I kinda don't see the point except compiling blinking frames for FE6 characters for the heck of it. I don't see any way of making FE6 characters blink other than paying Hextator/Aleph/Alex to make an ASM hack to do that >_>;

I figure that the sprites are another can of worms, but at the same time, if we're already tinkering, why not give it some consideration? I'm not doubting that it's difficult to do though. XP

The original thread I started:

lol. Click here.

I was bored and wasn't doing anything... and then the FE6 Support Library idea came to mind. And then anything FE6 related was that, instead of blinking frames. XD

Besides, Superluigi disappeared off the face of the earth.

...Though, again, I kinda don't see the point except compiling blinking frames for FE6 characters for the heck of it. I don't see any way of making FE6 characters blink other than paying Hextator/Aleph/Alex to make an ASM hack to do that >_>;

Hey! What the hell am I? Chopped liver?

I figure that the sprites are another can of worms, but at the same time, if we're already tinkering, why not give it some consideration? I'm not doubting that it's difficult to do though. XP

And that's how you wind up hacking Fire Emblem 8 after half a years work goes down the drain.

Edited by Onmi

Popo! It's good to see that someone is finally doing this, I have personally always wanted to fix up the FE6 script, but couldn't find any way to do it. I'm currently working on the main story for the FE12 Translation Patch with quite a bit of help from TheEnd, but I reckon I'd be able to help out with any script rewrites/revisions/retranslations that you'd like done. How's about letting me in on your little project, eh?

Then I direct you to the Romhacking Aeries translation of Super Robot Wars J. Because while there was plenty of jokes in the script that certainly weren't there in the original, the script itself flowed naturally, the characters were all easily recognizable and distinguishable.

Heheh, Kouji called them "ZAFT punks" :3

Man, when are they gonna update that? It's still Zeorymer of the Skies, instead of the Heavens.

Popo! It's good to see that someone is finally doing this, I have personally always wanted to fix up the FE6 script, but couldn't find any way to do it. I'm currently working on the main story for the FE12 Translation Patch with quite a bit of help from TheEnd, but I reckon I'd be able to help out with any script rewrites/revisions/retranslations that you'd like done. How's about letting me in on your little project, eh?

Hiya! I would love to have an extra pair of hands to help out with the project. Once I get organized, I'll break down a few chunks of script and let you guys pick and choose what you want to work on, and then we can reconvene back here for some group editing. :3

--

I have good news! Thanks to shaodowofchaos, I've been able to start working on the script for the first chapter. I made my initial edits, and now I'm applying them to see how they look and feel. Hopefully my finished version of the Ch.1 script will be up for comments soon. Among other things, I'm trying to give Eliwood slightly more screen time and warm up his interactions with Roy a bit. It doesn't read quite so coldly now, I hope. :3 (Not to worry, I'm not adding any subject mater that wasn't already there.)

Also, I borrowed your line, Onmi. XD

"You layabouts, can't you hold off some measly knights?"

--

Question. The translation reads "Lycia Alliance Army". Should it be "Lycian Alliance Army" instead?

Edited by Popo

no problems Popo It's ONMI GOD DAMN IT! If you want me to have a look over the script, just PM it. I may be bad at editing my own work but when it comes to others, I make sure to do a good job.

And yes it should be 'Lycian Alliance Army' Although I personally wouldn't refer to it by such a long title. Lycian Alliance, Alliance Army, Lycian Army, all convey the same meaning (we know that it's Lycia, and that they are an alliance, and that this is there army) without being too long. Actually disregard the first one, because that's oft used to refer to the collection of states that form the alliance. But the other two work.

Lycia - the name of the country

Lycian- the nationality of the citizens

Ilian Mercenaries, Etrurian Army, The only examples I can think of that don't fit this are Bern and Sacae. And usually they are referred to as Bern's Army or Sacae's Nomads.

Edited by Onmi

challenge accepted

no problems Popo It's ONMI GOD DAMN IT! If you want me to have a look over the script, just PM it. I may be bad at editing my own work but when it comes to others, I make sure to do a good job.

And yes it should be 'Lycian Alliance Army' Although I personally wouldn't refer to it by such a long title. Lycian Alliance, Alliance Army, Lycian Army, all convey the same meaning (we know that it's Lycia, and that they are an alliance, and that this is there army) without being too long. Actually disregard the first one, because that's oft used to refer to the collection of states that form the alliance. But the other two work.

Lycia - the name of the country

Lycian- the nationality of the citizens

Ilian Mercenaries, Etrurian Army, The only examples I can think of that don't fit this are Bern and Sacae. And usually they are referred to as Bern's Army or Sacae's Nomads.

Sorry! Now we're even! ;3

I'm going to leave it as the 'Lycian Alliance Army' for now until I decide on something. I feel like just 'Alliance Army' or something like that doesn't quite have the same effect. How about Lyn's Legion or Eliwood's Elite? XD

Roy's Crusaders. Fits considering the collection of the Divine Weapons/A war involving dragons.

The army name however, is ever evolving in FE6 (by the late game your labeled the Etrurian Army) So keep that in mind. I would have the name progress to a more personalized name after the initial Lycia arc. At this point you have Ilians, Bern(Ese? Ians? What is the plural of Bern citizens, Bernanites?), Sacaens, Etrurians, Lycians and people from all walks of life, at that point they are less Lycias army, and more Roy's comrades.

Rejected Suggestions: Alpha Numbers, Londo Bell, Wurter, ZEUTH

Edited by Onmi

Alright. Here's what I have for Chapter 1 so far. If I can figure out how to turn this into a video so that you guys can see the patch at work, I'll go ahead and do so. For now, here's the raw text. Please let me know if you see any spelling errors, or anything that really can't go without comment. Don't worry too much about the line breaks unless you have tips for keeping the text uniform.

- I tried to extend the scenes with Eliwood slightly and also make his scene with Roy a touch more heartwarming. I also added a "bounce"/foot-stomping motion when he says "Blast!".

- Roy no longer replies to everything with "Yeah." That drove me crazy. He's young and all, but that was way too casual and rude in some cases. XP

- There are a handful of little one-word changes that I didn't feel like highlighting.

- Finally, "Mister Eliwood" has been changed to "Lord Eliwood". I'm sure there were probably some sort of honorifics in the original version that indicated that Lilina was on friendly terms with Eliwood, but "mister" just didn't sound right to me.

CHAPTER 1

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Text of ID 0x0001

[OpenMidRight][LoadFace][0x50][0x01]Boss![A]

The residents of the castle have

hidden themselves inside![A]

[OpenMidLeft][LoadFace][0x37][0x01]Heh, even Eliwood, the greatest

knight in all Lycia, can't beat[A]

an illness, eh?[A][OpenMidRight]Hehehe...[A]

You were right when you said[A]

there wouldn't be many soldiers

around here because they're[A]

getting ready to take on Bern![A]

[OpenMidLeft]Of course I'm right! Who do you think

I am?[A]

But we can't be lettin' our

guard down just yet. You never[A]

know when reinforcements

are going to come.[A]

All right, you lot![A]

Kill off the knights in the castle

while we've still got time![A]

Then the treasure is ours

for the taking![A][X]

Text of ID 0x0002

[OpenMidRight][LoadFace][0x51][0x01]Hehe, castles ain't the

only places with treasure.[A]

Let's go ransack the villages

and get some loot![A][X]

Text of ID 0x0003

[OpenMidLeft][LoadFace][0x54][0x01][OpenMidRight][LoadFace][0x56][0x01][OpenMidLeft][ToggleSmile]Lord Eliwood![A]

The bandits from Bolm Mountain

are attacking us![A]

[OpenMidRight][MoveMidRight]Blast![A]

If only I weren't in this state,

I would teach them a lesson[A]

myself...![A]

[OpenMidLeft][ClearFace][OpenFarLeft][LoadFace][0x22][0x01][NormalPrint]Lord Eliwood...?[A]

[OpenMidRight][CloseSpeechFast]Lilina, please.

You must hide somewhere.[A]

This castle is going to become

a battlefield.[A]

[OpenFarLeft][MoveMidLeft][NormalPrint]No, sir.

I will fight, too![A]

[OpenMidRight][FastPrint]Don't be ridiculous.[A]

If something were to

happen to you, I wouldn't[A]

know what to say to Hector.[A]

[OpenMidLeft][NormalPrint]To my father?

But...[A]

[OpenMidRight][FastPrint][ToggleSmile]It's going to be all right.[A]

Roy is returning home as we speak. He should

be here soon, so if we can hold[A]

our own until then, we can drive off

these bandits.[A][OpenMidLeft][ClearFace][OpenMidRight][ToggleSmile][X]

Text of ID 0x0004

[OpenMidLeft][LoadFace][0x54][0x01][OpenMidRight][ToggleSmile]Merlinus![A]

I want you to send a messenger

to ride out and meet Roy, and inform[A]

him of this attack immediately![A]

[OpenMidLeft][FastPrint]Y-Yes sir![A][ClearFace][X]

Text of ID 0x0005

[X]

Text of ID 0x0006

[OpenMidLeft][LoadFace][0x19][0x01][OpenRight][LoadFace][0x02][0x01][OpenRight][FastPrint][ToggleSmile]Oh, it's Lance!

Why are you in such a hurry?[A]

Is everything all right?[A]

[OpenMidLeft]Master Roy![A]

Bandits have appeared and are attacking

the castle as we speak![A]

[OpenFarRight][LoadFace][0x18][0x01]What?!

Is Lord Eliwood safe?[A]

[OpenMidLeft][CloseSpeechFast]He's inside, defending against

the bandits' attacks,[A]

but I don't know how long he can

last with his illness...![A]

[OpenFarRight][ClearFace][OpenFarRight][LoadFace][0x09][0x01][NormalPrint]Excuse me, Lance, is it?[.....]

Is Lady Lilina safe as well?[A]

[OpenMidLeft][CloseSpeechFast]Are you from Ostia?[A]

Lady Lilina is in the castle.[A]

She should be all right,[A]

as long as Lord Eliwood is with her,

but he can't hold off the bandits[A]

forever.[A]

[OpenFarRight][ClearFace][OpenRight]No...[A]

I shouldn't have let Lilina go to

the castle before me![A]

[OpenMidLeft][ClearFace][OpenFarLeft][LoadFace][0x0B][0x01][FastPrint]Master Roy, regret won't solve

anything! We must recapture the castle[A]

at once![A]

[OpenLeft][LoadFace][0x1C][0x01]Wolt is right.

We must hurry![A][OpenRight][NormalPrint]Yes.

You're right.[A][0x02]

[FastPrint][OpenFarLeft][ClearFace][OpenLeft][ClearFace][OpenRight]All right, everyone! Let's go![A]

We're going to save those trapped

inside the castle![A][X]

Text of ID 0x0007

[X]

Text of ID 0x0008

[OpenMidRight][LoadFace][0x37][0x01][FastPrint][ToggleSmile]Dammit!

Reinforcements already?![A]

Hehe, but they ain't gettin' to

the castle so easy! Not if I've[A]

got anything to do with it![A][X]

Text of ID 0x0009

[X]

Text of ID 0x000A

[OpenMidLeft][LoadFace][0xFF][0xFF][OpenMidRight][LoadFace][0x5C][0x01][FastPrint][ToggleSmile]Excuse me![A]

Aren't you knights going to the

castle?[A]

This may not be much...[A]

But this is something we'd

really like to offer you.[A]

Please use it well![A][X]

Text of ID 0x000B

[OpenMidLeft][LoadFace][0xFF][0xFF][OpenMidRight][LoadFace][0x5F][0x01][CloseSpeechFast]It's terrible...[A]

Soldiers from Bern were able

to cross the border into Lycia...[A]

They laid an awful attack.[A]

Now, even if the allied lords

strike back, Lord Eliwood...[A]

He can no longer stand too well

with his illness...[A][X]

Text of ID 0x000C

[OpenMidLeft][LoadFace][0xFF][0xFF][OpenMidRight][LoadFace][0x64][0x01][CloseSpeechFast]Hey, you![A]

If you wanna do well in battle,

you'd better use the terrain wisely.[A]

If you're in a forest,

the trees will cover you![A]

There's no way enemies will have

an easy time in that situation.[A]

[X]

Text of ID 0x000D

[OpenMidLeft][LoadFace][0xFF][0xFF][OpenMidRight][LoadFace][0x5D][0x01][ToggleSmile]You, there! Guess what?[A]

Money is important![A]

If you don't have it,

your weapons will rust,[A]

and you can't fight

without your weapons, can you?[A][X]

Text of ID 0x000E

[LoadFace][0x37][0x01][ToggleSmile]You layabouts![A][0x02]

can't you hold off some[A]

measly knights?[A][X]

Text of ID 0x000F

[LoadFace][0x37][0x01][ToggleSmile]Wh... What the...?!

S... Strong...[A][X]

Text of ID 0x0010

[X]

Text of ID 0x0011

[OpenMidRight][LoadFace][0x02][0x01][NormalPrint][ToggleSmile]Father![.....]

Lilina![A]

[OpenLeft][LoadFace][0x56][0x01][ToggleSmile]Roy, is that you?[A]

[OpenFarLeft][LoadFace][0x22][0x01]Roy![A]

[OpenMidRight][FastPrint]You're safe now.[A]

Thank goodness you're all right.[A]

[OpenFarLeft][ClearFace][OpenLeft][NormalPrint]Roy, thank you for

coming this far.[A]

[OpenMidRight][FastPrint][ToggleSmile]Of course, father.

How is your health?[A]

[OpenLeft][ToggleSmile]I'm fine.

I'm still alive, see?[A][0x02]

[ToggleSmile]But Roy, you know why

I called you back here, correct?[A]

[OpenMidRight][CloseSpeechFast]I am to take over your role of

leading Pherae's military and join[A]

the Lycian Alliance Army.[A]

[OpenLeft]Yes.[A]

As you know, Bern has started

to conquer Lycia.[A]

We must follow the ancient rule and

send out our military to protect[A]

the country before it is too late.[A]

[OpenMidRight][NormalPrint]Yes, father.[A]

[OpenLeft][CloseSpeechFast]To send you away now...[A]

You're still so young, and you're

right in the middle of your studies.[A]

But I'm not well... I would only

be a hindrance to everyone else.[A]

[OpenMidRight][NormalPrint]Father...[A][sendToBack]

[OpenFarLeft][LoadFace][0x22][0x01][CloseSpeechFast][ToggleSmile]Lord Eliwood,

I will accompany Roy![A]

My father is in charge of

Lycia's main army.[A]

I could use my magic to be

of some help to Roy...[A][sendToBack]

[OpenLeft]No, Lilina.

You must return to Ostia.[A]

[OpenMidRight][ClearFace][OpenFarLeft][ClearFace][OpenRight][LoadFace][0x22][0x01][NormalPrint][ToggleSmile]... Why?[A][.....]

[OpenLeft][CloseSpeechFast][ToggleSmile]With Hector's absence, there is no one

currently sitting on the throne of Ostia.[A]

The people must be feeling uneasy as well.[A]

You, being the daughter of the marquess,

must take the throne until Hector returns[A]

and ease the tension of the people.[A]

Am I wrong?[A]

[OpenRight][NormalPrint][ToggleSmile]... No, sir.[A]

[OpenRight][ClearFace][OpenMidRight][LoadFace][0x02][0x01][OpenLeft][CloseSpeechFast][ToggleSmile]Roy, I have arranged for a group

of mercenaries to aid you on your journey.[A]

There's a man named Dieck who is waiting

for you at the Lycia-Bern Border.[A]

Meet up with him and his mercenary troupe,

then head towards Castle Araphan[A]

to join with the rest of the alliance.[A]

Merlinus![A]

[OpenFarLeft][LoadFace][0x54][0x01]Yes, Lord Eliwood?[A]

[OpenMidLeft]Go with Roy and advise him on his journey.[A]

[OpenFarLeft]Yes, sir![A][ClearFace]

[OpenMidLeft]Merlinus once travled the

continent with Lord Hector and[A]

myself. He is very knowledgeable

about the various locations and[A]

cultures of Elibe. If you ever

need guidance, just turn[A]

to him.[A]

[OpenMidRight]Thank you for everything,

father.[A]

[OpenLeft][ToggleSmile]You'll be fine, Roy.

I know you can do it![A]

Go and fight, and show them who you

are, the next Marquess of Pherae![A]

[OpenMidRight][NormalPrint][ToggleSmile]Yes![A][OpenLeft][ClearFace][OpenMidRight][ClearFace][X]

Text of ID 0x0012

[OpenMidLeft][LoadFace][0x22][0x01][OpenMidRight][LoadFace][0x09][0x01][OpenMidLeft][NormalPrint][ToggleSmile]Bors,

I have something to ask of you.[A]

[OpenMidRight][CloseSpeechFast][ToggleSmile]I know, my lady.[A]

I will accompany Roy in his travels

and swear to protect him with my life.[A]

[OpenMidLeft][FastPrint]Thank you, Bors.[A][OpenMidRight][ClearFace][OpenMidLeft][ClearFace][X]

Text of ID 0x0013

[OpenMidLeft][LoadFace][0x22][0x01][OpenMidRight][LoadFace][0x02][0x01][OpenMidLeft][ToggleSmile][.....]Roy, please be careful.[A]

[OpenMidRight][ToggleSmile]I know.[.....]

You too, Lilina. Be safe.[A][X]

Edited by Popo

>Roy, you must first go to the Bern border and meet with the mercenary group[A]

>that I have arranged a contract with.[A]

>I'll send Merlinus along with you...[.....][A]

>He'll be very helpful to you with

>his knowledge of the continent.

Try this.

Roy, there's a man called Dieck who is waiting for you at the Lycia-Bern Border, meet up with him and his mercenary troupe, then head towards Castle Araphan to join with the rest of the alliance. Merlinus!

Yes Lord Eliwood? (For the sake of breaking it up, can still be cut)

Go with Roy as an adviser. Merlinus is very knowledgeable about the various locations and cultures of Elibe. If you ever need guidance, just turn to him.

Will do something more detailed later, very tired due to the time

Could we fix the Thracia patch first? It has many more and worse problems, some of which could be corrected very easily (such as the meme jokes that somebody thought would be funny to insert into the script).

sure, you go develop the text editing tool for the SNES games and the programming to unroyaly fuck whatever the translators did to it, and then we can go fix the script. I said myself that the script feels lifeless in quite a few areas, but there's not much point simply rewriting the script if there's no way to insert it.

Could we fix the Thracia patch first? It has many more and worse problems, some of which could be corrected very easily (such as the meme jokes that somebody thought would be funny to insert into the script).

As I've already stated, I personally have no interest in working on the FE5 patch. If someone else wants to initiate a project, that's perfectly fine, more power to you, and good luck. :3 I think a few others have expressed interest, so maybe make a thread and see what happens. ^__^

Roy, there's a man called Dieck who is waiting for you at the Lycia-Bern Border, meet up with him and his mercenary troupe, then head towards Castle Araphan to join with the rest of the alliance. Merlinus!

Go with Roy as an adviser. Merlinus is very knowledgeable about the various locations and cultures of Elibe. If you ever need guidance, just turn to him.

Sounds good. :3 I might move a few things around, but otherwise, that's a lot more insightful than what we currently have. :3

sure, you go develop the text editing tool for the SNES games and the programming to unroyaly fuck whatever the translators did to it, and then we can go fix the script. I said myself that the script feels lifeless in quite a few areas, but there's not much point simply rewriting the script if there's no way to insert it.

That seems kind of an aggressive response, don't you think?

Anyhow, Popo, I like it, a lot better than the original :) I'm sure you'll do even more as you go along, as well. It seems chapter 1 wasn't affected TOO badly but there's some pretty awful word choices and poor grammar and whatnot in later chapters, so I look forward to seeing what you do with it :3

Was it... ShAyA that did this translation? Some person. Anyways, I don't remember there being anything specifically complicated about the text. You could probably just use a hex editor. If there was a thread about this translation after the FESS2 incident, you can check the forums of FESS3 and probably find all the information you'd need.

You don't need tools when the text could be just plain Shift_JIS. Nor any programming. At worst, the script might have a compression on it, but i'unno.

Try this.

Seems like a run on sentence there. I suggest a period after "Border".

Anyhow, Popo, I like it, a lot better than the original :) I'm sure you'll do even more as you go along, as well. It seems chapter 1 wasn't affected TOO badly but there's some pretty awful word choices and poor grammar and whatnot in later chapters, so I look forward to seeing what you do with it :3

Thank you! I'll try not to let you down! :newyears:

Seems like a run on sentence there. I suggest a period after "Border".

I fixed all that up. >w< Here's how it reads:

[OpenRight][ClearFace][OpenMidRight][LoadFace][0x02][0x01][OpenLeft][CloseSpeechFast][ToggleSmile]Roy, I have arranged for a group

of mercenaries to aid you on your journey.[A]

There's a man named Dieck who is waiting

for you at the Lycia-Bern Border.[A]

Meet up with him and his mercenary troupe,

then head towards Castle Araphan[A]

to join with the rest of the alliance.[A]

Merlinus![A]

[OpenFarLeft][LoadFace][0x54][0x01]Yes, Lord Eliwood?[A]

[OpenMidLeft]Go with Roy and advise him on his journey.[A]

[OpenFarLeft]Yes, sir![A][ClearFace]

[OpenLeft]Merlinus once travled the continent with

Lord Hector and myself.[A]

He is very knowledgeable

about the various locations and[A]

cultures of Elibe. If you ever need

guidance, just turn to him.[A]

[OpenMidRight]Thank you for everything,

father.[A]

--

I do have a slight issue though. >o< When Merlinus exits the screen in that scene, this happens:

glitch1.jpg

I've been playing around with a solution, but I don't know what to do at this point. >:

Edited by Popo