Editing the FE6 Patch

Popo

82 members have voted

1. 1. Should the name "Miledy" be kept or retranslated to something else?

2. 2. Should the name "Yuno" be changed to "Juno"?

I fixed all that up. >w< Here's how it reads:

[OpenRight][ClearFace][OpenMidRight][LoadFace][0x02][0x01][OpenLeft][CloseSpeechFast][ToggleSmile]Roy, I have arranged for a group

of mercenaries to aid you on your journey.[A]

There's a man named Dieck who is waiting

for you at the Lycia-Bern Border.[A]

Meet up with him and his mercenary troupe,

then head towards Castle Araphan[A]

to join with the rest of the alliance.[A]

Merlinus![A]

[OpenFarLeft][LoadFace][0x54][0x01]Yes, Lord Eliwood?[A]

[OpenMidLeft]Go with Roy and advise him on his journey.[A]

[OpenFarLeft]Yes, sir![A][ClearFace]

[OpenLeft]Merlinus once travled the continent with

Lord Hector and myself.[A]

He is very knowledgeable

about the various locations and[A]

cultures of Elibe. If you ever need

guidance, just turn to him.[A]

[OpenMidRight]Thank you for everything,

father.[A]

--

I do have a slight issue though. >o< When Merlinus exits the screen in that scene, this happens:

glitch1.jpg

I've been playing around with a solution, but I don't know what to do at this point. >:

Again, one of your lines are too long. Presumably after Merlinus's "[ClearFace]".

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, one of your lines are too long. Presumably after Merlinus's "[ClearFace]".

The odd thing is that the one time I got this scene to work, the line in question actually displayed correctly. I'll change it though!

Edit: I shortened the line, but it didn't fix the problem. I removed Merlinus from the scene correctly, right? Maybe I missed something?

Edited by Popo

The odd thing is that the one time I got this scene to work, the line in question actually displayed correctly. I'll change it though!

Edit: I shortened the line, but it didn't fix the problem. I removed Merlinus from the scene correctly, right? Maybe I missed something?

Remember, if it's in the same text bubble, ANY line in there will screw it up if it's too long.

ANYTHING under it.

Remember, if it's in the same text bubble, ANY line in there will screw it up if it's too long.

ANYTHING under it.

I'm at a place where each line of dialogue is down to like, four words/25 characters and it's still glitching up. If I press A a few times, it rights itself and the rest of the scene continues perfectly.

Edited by Popo

I'm at a place where each line of dialogue is down to like, four words/25 characters and it's still glitching up. If I press A a few times, it rights itself and the rest of the scene continues perfectly.

Here's what you do then. Copy the ROM again. The Glitched copy. Open THAT one up.

Delete everything under Merlinus's "ClearFace". See if the scene ends fine.

Then slowly add each line of text, then test. That's how you're gonna find the bug.

Here's what you do then. Copy the ROM again. The Glitched copy. Open THAT one up.

Delete everything under Merlinus's "ClearFace". See if the scene ends fine.

Then slowly add each line of text, then test. That's how you're gonna find the bug.

Fixed it. I didn't realize that using a save state affected the patch. The newer edits I made were fine all along. They just weren't appearing because I used a bad save. o///o

- Finally, "Mister Eliwood" has been changed to "Lord Eliwood". I'm sure there were probably some sort of honorifics in the original version that indicated that Lilina was on friendly terms with Eliwood, but "mister" just didn't sound right to me.

おじさま・・・

Yeah... Maybe I'll look at this more later and have some better suggestions, but I dunno. Lord Eliwood would not be how I would do it.

おじさま・・・

Yeah... Maybe I'll look at this more later and have some better suggestions, but I dunno. Lord Eliwood would not be how I would do it.

It's not perfect by any means, but this issue only crops up in a couple of instances, so I don't think it's too terrible a solution for now. I would also add that Roy doesn't say "Mister Hector", although their relationship is probably slightly different. I'll look for synonyms~

Edited by Popo

Why not just 'Mr.'?

It's not so much the spelling. For me, it just doesn't fit with the time period. (It "feels" wrong, I guess?) Not to say that "mister" is a new-age word, but I don't think I've ever seen it used in any FE games, or in any games set in a similar time period for that mater.

I think the most literal translation for this would be "uncle" but that doesn't really seem like the right word to use in this case either. :/

Edited by Popo

If you're going to be "argh" over time period relativity, and you wanted something like 'uncle,' you're pretty much handed 'em.'

http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/m/mec/med-idx?type=id&id=MED13329

Its connotation is much more informal and personal in several forms of literature of the era, including Tristram and Isolde.

That... will confuse everyone. ^^;

We'll figure it out. :3 It's one word and I think I only had to edit it out twice. Maybe I could pad the surrounding text so that they Eliwood and Lilina seem more friendly?

Why not just "Uncle Eliwood?"

Personal preference, I guess? >o< I don't know anyone who calls a family friend "uncle" unless they're a foreigner. I also don't want to confuse anyone who hasn't already played this game. :/

Personal preference, I guess? >o< I don't know anyone who calls a family friend "uncle" unless they're a foreigner. I also don't want to confuse anyone who hasn't already played this game. :/

It's a very common practice in Asian languages (or at least the 2 that I know) to address a close elder male as "uncle." Actually even in English speaking countries, for example, a kid will address his father's friend as "Uncle Bob" if Bob is not his biological uncle.

Edited by dondon151

It's a very common practice in Asian languages (or at least the 2 that I know) to address a close elder male as "uncle." Actually even in English speaking countries, for example, a kid will address his father's friend as "Uncle Bob" if Bob is not his biological uncle.

I guess we differ on the second point. I've always seen it practiced in Asian languages, as you said, but far less in the west. :/

Was it... ShAyA that did this translation? Some person. Anyways, I don't remember there being anything specifically complicated about the text. You could probably just use a hex editor. If there was a thread about this translation after the FESS2 incident, you can check the forums of FESS3 and probably find all the information you'd need.

You don't need tools when the text could be just plain Shift_JIS. Nor any programming. At worst, the script might have a compression on it, but i'unno.

I vaguely remember some weird kind of compression algorithm or some shit that made it stupidly difficult to work with text.

then again fe5 has never been my strong suit so what do i know

I think 'Uncle Eliwood' is appropriate, but the only thing is that then people may think that Roy and Lilina are related...

I think 'Uncle Eliwood' is appropriate, but the only thing is that then people may think that Roy and Lilina are related...

Right. That's why I'm not sure if I want to use it. Some people will understand the meaning, others won't, or will be confused by the usage. (Although... Depending on who you support in FE7, maybe he really is her uncle?) XD

Edit: Just a thought, but maybe I could reroute things so that Lilina doesn't have to address him by name. Would that work? Or maybe she could just call him "sir" seeing as she already does for most of their interaction?

Edited by Popo

I don't get it. Last I checked, Eliwood was a lord. Why can't Lilina call him "Lord Eliwood", then?

My thoughts exactly. Again, there are a couple other instances in which familiars still resort to calling each other "lord" or what have you. :/ Not to rely too heavily on FE7, but Hector calls Eliwood's father Lord Elbert even though the two families seem to know each other rather well.

It's too impersonal or something; too formal.

Of course they're formal. They're nobles!

BTW, let's get this out of the way: What are we gonna do with Alan's... word? If it were up to me, I'd just replace it with "Curses!" and be done with it.

BTW, let's get this out of the way: What are we gonna do with Alan's... word? If it were up to me, I'd just replace it with "Curses!" and be done with it.

Yep! I addressed that a page or two ago. I'm just going to drop in something else--something that will hopefully convey the same urgency--and move along. :3

That depends. I'm not fluent in jap at all, but from what I know "おじさま・・・" is bit more personal/intimate than "Lord XXX"

i think