Best/Worst in the Series: Round 132

Darros

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There're usually a pretty large number of enemies on the map initially. So yes, the object is to defend, but how much territory one defends is up to the player.

But those are not true defend maps, since they give you the option to attack.

Best: Hold the line (FE10 3-13)

Very creative take on Defense maps. Almost put FE5 Escape here, but then I remembered how much grief chapter 5 gave me.

Worst: FE10 Rout

Fuck part 4.

Nominate: Best/Worst Anna

In other words, it offers some interesting variety with no real problems.

Personally, I'm very much a fan of the games offering reasons to not turtle.

You don't like turtling, so you like defend maps. What?

Best: Escape

Worst: Defend, by far.

Best: I'm voting Rout. Defend gets an honorable mention.

Worst: Seize isn't bad. Just overused.

What he said.

Nom Best/Worst Nabral archetype.

Edited by Gmls710

Best: 80 people dead (3-E)

I really like this because you have a bunch of allies and enemies on the map, and it's not just your units/enemies that die, it's everyone. It fits well with the story too.

Worst: FE10 rout

I should say mainly part 4, since if you miss just one enemy then a hoard of reinforcements pop up :/ This makes me rage in drafts.

Well, I'm not a drafter as far as FE's concerned... but regardless, I have more rage stemming from seize chapters than any other, personally. And besides, I just like killing enemies, aside from those it'd be better to let survive (in case you ever need a reason as to why I've never went stealth in chapter 10 in FE9 or pacifist in chapter 15 or 2-3, that's why. That, and I'm no good with that kind of crap anyhow).

I'm honestly cool with seize.

Best: Kill Boss - yay the douche is dead can I move on now

Worst: Rout - so fucking long and OH YOU 1HP PEG KNIGHT FINE YOU WANNA HEAL HUH (one time when I played HHM, one of those pegs didn't die in Erik's chapter, and flew back to heal while NONE of my units can reach it. SO annoying.)

Funny thing is I end up routing defend chapters anyway like HHMC28 and C30

Edited by Luminescent Blade

I'm honestly cool with seize.

Well, when seize has bullcrap like FE6 chapters 8x and 14 and RD's 1-E ... Is it any surprise I despise it?

Edited by Metal King Slime

You don't like turtling, so you like defend maps. What?

Perhaps I should rephrase. I don't like when turtling can trivialize maps. A good defense works by making it so that you're under enough pressure from the enemies and reinforcements that you're given enough challenge in fending off enemies already, so there's no way to slow down more to make it easier.

Well, when seize has bullcrap like FE6 chapters 8x and 14 and RD's 1-E ... Is it any surprise I despise it?

Yeah, it is. What's wrong with those chapters?

Edited by Othin

Yeah, it is. What's wrong with those chapters?

Chapter 8x's boss is a serious pain to hit, let alone kill. Chapter 14... I hate it because of desert, fog of war, a time limit to access the gaiden, and most important of all, what you get when you combine those three factors (and more) together. 1-E in RD is just plain unfair.

Fly Roy to throne

Seize

Not particularly painful IMO

It's the boss's fault for being a dick

The time limit in FE6's desert is only really annoying the first time around. It's really not that bad if you drop a few promoted units (like Rutger who's likely promoted then) there and clear the area before you drop a Roy.

I understand why people dislike it since all of FE6/Akaneia games is seize and nothing else and it gets repetitive, but I don't see it as a painful objective by itself.

Fly Roy to throne

Seize

Not particularly painful IMO

It's the boss's fault for being a dick

The time limit in FE6's desert is only really annoying the first time around. It's really not that bad if you drop a few promoted units (like Rutger who's likely promoted then) there and clear the area before you drop a Roy.

I understand why people dislike it since all of FE6/Akaneia games is seize and nothing else and it gets repetitive, but I don't see it as a painful objective by itself.

First part: The bold is the big issue with 8x. The chapter itself is fairly easy other than that.

Second part: That won't be much help if whoever I try to drop to clear out that area winds up sleeped...

Perhaps I should rephrase. I don't like when turtling can trivialize maps. A good defense works by making it so that you're under enough pressure from the enemies and reinforcements that you're given enough challenge in fending off enemies already, so there's no way to slow down more to make it easier.

Sadly, the execution of most defend chapters, with many chokepoints and a good defensive location, often makes it trivial to defend. It would be better to set a defend chapter in a wide open area, so that the player has to actually deal with the enemies, but few defend chapters do so.

First part: The bold is the big issue with 8x. The chapter itself is fairly easy other than that.

Second part: That won't be much help if whoever I try to drop to clear out that area winds up sleeped...

Right, and seizing isn't the inherent issue. If the chapter objective is kill boss or rout it'd be the same dickishness you'll have to deal with.

Second part is you have a healer follow with Restore. Unless your only healer is Clarine, you should be fine. Hell, you have to drag Cecilia around anyway, might as well hand her one despite her bad move. Or have a bait. Sophia is pretty good sleep bait. Generally, I'd think a sleep staffer would rather target Sophia with her nonexistent avo (her base res isn't even that good) against speedgod Rutger. Roy works too. After all, he can't seize anyway unless Rutger/other potential bosskiller of choice that may not be Rutger has cleared out the area.

Sadly, the execution of most defend chapters, with many chokepoints and a good defensive location, often makes it trivial to defend. It would be better to set a defend chapter in a wide open area, so that the player has to actually deal with the enemies, but few defend chapters do so.

Well, if the enemies can put up enough of a fight to be a challenge even like that, it can work out. But that's even more difficult to set up well, I'd think.

But yeah, fields work, or just any place where it's difficult or impossible to block chokepoints.

Edited by Othin

Second part is you have a healer follow with Restore. Unless your only healer is Clarine, you should be fine. Hell, you have to drag Cecilia around anyway, might as well hand her one despite her bad move. Or have a bait. Sophia is pretty good sleep bait. Generally, I'd think a sleep staffer would rather target Sophia with her nonexistent avo (her base res isn't even that good) against speedgod Rutger. Roy works too. After all, he can't seize anyway unless Rutger/other potential bosskiller of choice that may not be Rutger has cleared out the area.

My doubts stemmed from the part where whoever you were counting on to clear the area gets zonked out, in which case you're outta luck. Besides, it doesn't make me hate the chapter any less.