Improving the Genealogy Translation Patch

irtikliwT

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arch, you said you finished a playthrough--what did you do to get past the bugs?

Also, have you found any other bugs than the ones that I pointed out? I had found bugs in chapter 4 (which was fixed) and chapter 7. Did you find any others?

I encountered the Ch7 bug, which halted my playthrough for a bit. Then I realized that I can just play past that event with a Japanese ROM, save, and continue on my quest to slay the Emperor and his son. I didn't encounter any game-breaking glitches after that point; however, I have yet to beat the final chapter (I'm just about to seize Edda, so I'm just starting that chapter).

The amount of space currently available for terrain names is very limited, but on re-checking things over I've found that the character names were currently all being put into space which was shared between terrain and character names (and a number of other things) and barely using any of their personal space, so I have banished them from the common area (and as it turns out they have enough room within their personal space anyway, although with only enough room for 13 more letters).

So okay, I've taken the opportunity to improve terrain naming.

Releasing version 0.87g

Same locations as before

If caching is giving you grief let me know and I will look into putting them under different names but geez

Improved by:

- Reduced misuse of common space in block 3

- Improved terrain names with the room provided

- Extended castle names with the room provided

- Rahna doesn't know what a lightyear is any more

- Prevented Darna cutscene crash in chapter 7

- Prevented errant 'is'es showing up on data screen

The 'is'es were being caused because for some reason the game is printing Lachesis's name out before the row of dashes, and there weren't enough dashes to cover up Lachesis's name. I checked an unpatched version and the same thing was happening, so it ought to be 'normal' despite how strange it seems. I extended the line of dashes with two spaces to cover the rest up.

Folks I took advantage of the space to change 'Wall' back to 'Rampart' but I've noticed that the part of Barhara Castle which is outside the normal castle area uses that terrain type, and Rampart is perhaps inapplicable to it. Thoughts.

Edited by irtikliwT

I'd say 'Rampart' is fine, but you could always just go for 'Castle' instead too. (Though wall is probably the most applicable if the unused temple also uses the same terrain name--which is neither castle nor comprised of ramparts).

Does the tower use a different terrain name as well? You could be ultra-cheesy and just say 'solid.'

I'm not sure what you mean by unused temple, but there's an unused shrine terrain type which I would expect it to use as I'm currently envisioning it.

'Castle' doesn't really make much sense when applied to the normal ramparts :S

If by tower you're referring to Blagi Tower, it has its own tower terrain type.

k9ePv.png

Near Barhara is the temple thing.

What are you meaning by ramparts? I thought you were meaning, like, the roofs of the castles :x Are those gate-like structures part of the same terrain? Maybe 'Bulwark' could suffice. 'Groyne' too, but that's more about breaking waves rather than actual defensive structures :/

What's wrong with Serlis?

It is the latest localized name.

Does it *really* need to be said?

It's horrible (Like the original Romanization of "Joshua" in FE8 horrible) that's what's wrong with it.

At least other weird localizations *cough*Caeda*cough* didn't seem like they were translated by stoned monkeys.

rampart.png

The smaller versions are Gates for whatever that is worth.

Castles would probably get the Castle terrain but for the castle name showing up in place of the terrain name.

It goes with the kana, doesn't it?

Not quite - there is only one kana in the name fitting an r/l sound, as per the rendering Celice. Serlis (two) doesn't quite fit in that respect, with NoA taking some minor liberties in adapting the name.

(disclaimer: not even close to an expert concerning Japanese, and not trying to slight the "Serlis" translation. I don't see it as an optimal choice on NoA's part, but I don't have a problem with it)

Edited by Rhinocerocket

It goes with the kana, doesn't it?

...Whether or not it fits the kana has little to do with it being a good translation (it's not. It's hilariously bad.)- that's why direct translations aren't really used.

Not picking this version up, cause that change is, saying it again, Hilariously Bad. (Someone was on drugs when they did that.)

At the beginning of the Darna conversation, a soldier says that the liberation army has "began" to move. Technically, it should be "begun," but this is an extremely minor error.

Thanks for fixing the bugs, irtikliwT! Now I can finish my playthrough uninterrupted.

By the way, if you want my two cents regarding nomenclature...

1. I agree that Celice sounds better than Serlis.

2. I actually like the way "Battlemage" sounds as opposed to "Mage Hero."

These are both just my opinion, so in the end, it's up to you. Good luck with any other changes you choose to make.

rampart.png

The smaller versions are Gates for whatever that is worth.

Castles would probably get the Castle terrain but for the castle name showing up in place of the terrain name.

So, are you wondering how to deal with the smaller gate-structures being called the same terrain as the castles themselves? Why not give the gates their own terrain name :/ The two basic ways I can think of is repointing the name for those to a new name (slightly larger maneuver) or just changing what terrain the actual tiles are considered (you can use the unused shrine terrain if you don't want to add in your own).

Ultimately, I don't say it's something to warrant the edits. It's such a small aesthetic thing that I wouldn't take a second glance.

Two quick questions, that may have been answered/ is sorta off topic, respectively.

1. Will the ending scripts be translated like the Edda convo and the actual ending ending, like when it is saying where everyone went on the map at the very end.

2. How are you changing the text? Hex editor, parser, Feadv-like program? I'd like to know if you'd be willing to show/ point me in the right direction to do it.

Answer as you see fit, and above all thanks for doing this!

-Eriad Eternas-

I have Summerwolf's partial ending dialogue translation and Ace's ending narration translation on hand. At some point I will have to deal with those. In the meantime I was going to replace the ending with placeholder text at some point to at least cut down on the gibberish/narration crash.

The patch is created with the tools that are linked to in the first post. You need a nix/nux style environment to use them though (presumably they could be edited to be run under plain Windows, but no-one is likely to get around to looking into that).

Well place holder text is better than looking at the map of Verdane forever...and the like.

Err...i must be backwards but what is nix/nux. Presumably it's Linux/ Linix as that's all that comes to my mind, but clarification would be nice. You say plain windows, would it work on later/ updated versions of windows, say, Windows 7. Or do you mean that no version of windows or the like will work.

To clarify, the tools are listed under sources? Also if it's not too much to ask is there a tutorial explaining how to use this to change text? ...or just how to use it at all...

Any thanks is greatly appreciated and as always,

Thanks for the help/ patch.

-Eriad Eternas-

Edited by Eriad

I don't really understand why you've changed the dragon knight classes to wyvern. They specifically look like dragons instead of wyverns. If it's because the GBA games called them wyverns, I'd much rather you go by Radiant Dawn, which did the best job at class naming out of all the localized Fire Emblem games.

Radiant Dawn FINALLY gave the dragon mounted classes the correct names in my opinion, and it was partly carried onto Shadow Dragon, where they're called Dracoknights.

And visually, that's correct. FE8's Wyvern Knights are the only actual wyverns in the localized games, since they only had 4 limbs.

When Kakusei arrives I won't doubt that they'll localize the class as Dragon to go with the Japanese naming, but if they were to name them wyverns I'd be fine with it considering Kakusei DOES use wyverns as mounts.

Err...i must be backwards but what is nix/nux. Presumably it's Linux/ Linix as that's all that comes to my mind, but clarification would be nice. You say plain windows, would it work on later/ updated versions of windows, say, Windows 7. Or do you mean that no version of windows or the like will work.

To clarify, the tools are listed under sources? Also if it's not too much to ask is there a tutorial explaining how to use this to change text? ...or just how to use it at all...

Any thanks is greatly appreciated and as always,

Thanks for the help/ patch.

-Eriad Eternas-

Unix/Linux, but what I should have said was POSIX.

Windows doesn't have a POSIX environment by default. SFU/SUA are available for some versions that bring in a POSIX environment, otherwise you need to use Cygwin/equivalent. None of them are particularly pleasant to deal with in my opinion. SUA doesn't come with everything you need to run the tools, although I forget what it was missing as it was over a year ago that I set it up.

To set them up, as I remember it you need to go into the base directory you put them in in a POSIX shell such as bash and run:

autoconf
./configure
make all

Then you can edit the text files in the script folder as desired in whatever, and to make the patch you run:

make ips

in the base directory.

In SUA you need to (well, you can probably change something so as to not need to) use gmake instead of make as SUA includes Microsoft's make which is a different program if I recall correctly. Gmake was probably one of the things which was missing and you have to get separately. Cygwin would probably use regular make.

Edited by irtikliwT

There seems to be a glitch at Chapter 10. If you attack Hilda with Serlis/Celice, a random villager sprite shows up in the battle conversation and the speech is different. Forgot to take a screenshot and record the convo, but it's there, apparently.