Improving the Genealogy Translation Patch

irtikliwT

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the flip side of the argument, though, while there are some points where the Kana clearly deviates from standard Kana of the mythological references (Tordo, Jugdral, Barhara), for Alster, Lenster, Manster, and Conote, the places use the exact same Kana as the Kana used for Leinster, Munster, Ulster, and Connacht.

This complicates the story somewhat.

Well in that case, it's possible that they didn't feel making any change to the kana was necessary. It's also worth noting that the romaji in the game are different, so that may have been how the developers intended to differentiate it from the originals - knowing that in some other instances, they already were.

With all these uncertainties, it may be best to choose the translation that works best independent of whether or not it may have been meant to match the myth or the location perfectly. And in cases where the game already has romaji frequently displayed throughout the game's progression indicating one particular translation, sticking with that romaji seems easier than conflicting with it or needing to correct it.

I don't think any of the translations are bad enough that they need to be changed. As was being discussed in the Thracia 776 thread, its much better to just go with what people are used to after all these years like Celice and Oifey than to come up with new names, except in a few special cases like Yurius.

i don't think you understood

TheEnd is right; presentation and quality of translation should be reworked. but why change things (i.e., names) that are already in common use?

also brevity is the soul of wit etc.

To be redundant.

A translation that is useful focuses on removing the language barrier, that is, making it possible for people to PLAY the bloody game without having to memorize what menus and commands do what by translating them. In the case of story, you just need to translate it so people can understand the plot, whatever the hell the bloody names are is irrelevant so long as x character is referenced with a consistent name.

Changing characters' names from what the players are already used to is pointless, specially if the translation is by fans.

The reason why the names were updated were to raise the translation to a level of continuity with the currently-localized game versions. That is the reason why Serlis has been added (the site Twilkitri linked, taken at a guess, is the most recent "official" use of the name; this is also why Sigurd is used, and not Zigludo).

Criticizing it for other elements doesn't have much effect on the reason it was changed. That's just complaining about something entirely beside the intent :/

Arguments based on what the writers meant when writing the Kana are inconclusive without extra evidence. They could have intended to make a name likeValhalla, but chose Barhara, for individuality. Or they just fudged up and thought they had an accurate representation of Valhalla (their intent) but did not. Because there's no outright-clear designation between an attempt at making a reference and a deliberate word in itself, making a claim one way or the other--on that basis--is groundless.

However, if there are multiple references which seem to suggest a certain naming convention, then you have more plausibility. What qualifies as these grounds, is a bit discerning. Obviously we have the example here of the Irish-based provinces, but then it regresses back into whether the names were attempts or original intentional alterations. I think the best way for viewing it is by how much of the atmosphere lends itself to supported a certain "dialect" of naming. Mars looks like a Greek/Roman dude, his name is Mars--that's an element to consider. If there's weight to the reference, then the reference obviously has more to judge by.

Preference has nothing to do with anything :/ The only objective-based interpretation of localizing would be to make the most pronounceable text, so that the text isn't misread from an intention. If the authors bashed up a reference to Valhalla, that doesn't give you leeway to bash up their misshaped reference.

It was mentioned earlier that using the proper character glyphs for pronounciation wasn't possible due to artistic reason--this font that was used wasn't exactly flashy and beautiful. I think you could afford to draw some dots or a line in somewhere the in the text bank :e

Isn't there a translation name change section in the General Fire Emblem section on the main site?

Good catch. I think he stuck to most of the changes there, but there was one I noticed that he might want to consider. Shaman -> Light Priestess seems to make a lot of sense in this game as Shamans are not the dark magic using classes as they are in english, but instead light-using classes.

On this note, I raise the question of three other classes: Swordfighter, Axefighter, and Bowfighter. These seem to correspond to classes that American FE games translate as Myrmidon/Mercenary, Fighter, and Hunter. I don't know how the patch currently translates those classes, but those are the translations I would suggest.

There is already a Hunter class in the game.

You know, if you're trying to match standard terminology you should also rename the Armours to ArmourSwd/ArmourAxe etc. to correspond with FE10 Armour class names. You could apply a similar principle to the various 2nd tier mounted classes (so Forrest Knight would become Sword Paladin and so on).

There is already a Hunter class in the game.

Yeah, bowfighter should obviously be translated to archer if anything. Axefighter -> Fighter makes sense but swordfighter is a combination of both mercenary and myrmidon.

Yeah, bowfighter should obviously be translated to archer if anything. Axefighter -> Fighter makes sense but swordfighter is a combination of both mercenary and myrmidon.

What about the Archer class that already exist? They even have different sprites with a different stance.

You know, if you're trying to match standard terminology you should also rename the Armours to ArmourSwd/ArmourAxe etc. to correspond with FE10 Armour class names. You could apply a similar principle to the various 2nd tier mounted classes (so Forrest Knight would become Sword Paladin and so on).

I haven't played FE10 yet, and with that naming convention for armour units I'm not sure I want to D :

Probably not a good idea to use Sword Paladin alongside generic Paladin (for all I know FE10 did that as well though).

What about the Archer class that already exist? They even have different sprites with a different stance.

The Archer class in FE4 is unused and the name theoretically available.

Replacing Swordfighter/Axefighter/Bowfighter would leave Thieffighter on its lonesome, although I guess I could change that to Rogue. Does anyone remember what the FE5 patch uses for thieffighter?

Edited by irtikliwT

(for all I know FE10 did that as well though).

It did not. But yes, that's certainly a good reason to not apply the convention here.

Replacing Swordfighter/Axefighter/Bowfighter would leave Thieffighter on its lonesome, although I guess I could change that to Rogue. Does anyone remember what the FE5 patch uses for thieffighter?

Pretty sure it uses Rogue.

The nice thing is is that the Thracia 776 patch is supposedly being remade so some of the changes can carry over if they need to.

Well I'm not calling Celice Serlis, "official" localization or no.

I do like the idea of waiting for FE13 to get localized, as it may have official translations for many of these names.

Well I'm not calling Celice Serlis, "official" localization or no.

I do like the idea of waiting for FE13 to get localized, as it may have official translations for many of these names.

Yeah, no way that's changing. I hope irtikliwT realizes that almost everyone would prefer Celice over Serlis and change it back. Serlis comes from http://www.fire-emblem.com/gba/launch/history/index.jsp this link which obviously shouldn't be considered 100% accurate. And lets not forget that the CCG also refers to Sigurd's son as Celice.

Edited by Jediabiwan

It was from NoA's website.

The hypocrisy, it's guffawing.

Ehh. Still not reliable, as the quality for the naming they'd put on their site for a game they expect would be played by few to none of the people reading the site is certainly far lower than the quality they'd use for a translation in a game.

Man I remember way back in the day when the original j2eR patch used all names from the Treasure and no-one was particularly happy about it in general (for all that Celice wasn't one that drew a lot of ire). Talking about what names are used in the cardgame is a non-argument as it uses the same names as the Treasure (for people who were in the Treasure anyway).

Incidentally his name in the j2e 25% patch was Selis~

Man I remember way back in the day when the original j2eR patch used all names from the Treasure and no-one was particularly happy about it in general (for all that Celice wasn't one that drew a lot of ire). Talking about what names are used in the cardgame is a non-argument as it uses the same names as the Treasure (for people who were in the Treasure anyway).

Incidentally his name in the j2e 25% patch was Selis~

Any chance on changing forrest knight -> ranger (as made official in FE8) and forrest -> hero? Also, you said you'd probably change Oifey back too, right? If you make those changes, I would definitely download the patch. I guess I can live with Serlis if I have to. But I will still try as hard as I can to get it changed back to Celice.