Rate the Unit, Day 12: Rofl

Takes up BEXP, and does derpy damage for most of his existence without it. He's your only longbow user until Shinon shows his face, so that means he can do even worse damage from a farther distance! YAYgee_wiz_emoticon.gif!!! At least he can make use of his bond supports and triangle attack (Oscar took axes) with his bros. I'd give him a slightly higher rating if the double bow had 1-2 range in this game, but that still wouldn't be enough justification for me to use him. Well, those are probably the only positive things I can say about him.

1/10

Well, here we have Rolf. The worst unit in the game.

Technically his bases and growths would be quite good for an Fire Emblem archer, not to mention that they get a crit bonus over here, except that the other shitty archers usually at least have the benefit of joining in the first chapter while our little buddy here joins way too late which which seals his fate.

He has a personal bow which has essential the power of a Steel bow while being far more accurate with some added crit for good measure allowing him to chip at enemies reliably while not caring about his weapon rank. He also gets some bond supports.

This, along with bexp makes it way easier to turn him into a decent unit then let's say, some more infamous units from FE6 but even so there is still no reason that you might actually want to do it.

2/10 - As far as FE9 units are concerned, he is the bottom of the barrel. Said barrel isn't particularly deep this time around, though. But it's still a bottom.

+1 bias because the writers actually tried to treat the issue with children seriously rather then just having them tag along as the series usually does. Rolf is pretty much the exact opposite then, let's say Fa in that regard.

Fa: Yes, Fa's having lots and lots of fun! Fa gets to play outside, now!

Rolf: We're not fighting targets. I know the difference. Targets don't squirm on the ground and gurgle in pain. Targets don't make the grass slippery with blood. I learned that lesson the first time I took a man down.

I would also like to note that Rolf along with Mist joined the battle shortly after one of those they both consider family died.

This, along with the fact that the whole band was almost entirely wiped out by the Daein army shortly after made it painfully aware of them how everyone they loved could easily loose there lives anytime.

They didn't just enter the battlefield for shit and giggles or to "play outside" but because they felt that they had to do whatever difference they could do, no matter how minor or else their family won't come home anymore.

Edited by BrightBow

As much as I like Rolf's character, he ... really is a terrible unit in this game. :/: Sure, he has "good" growths and can turn out well when raised, but why would you? His bases are poor. He requires BEXP at a time when it's limited and there are units with a higher priority to BEXP, and he's an archer who will never have 1-range. Poor guy has nothing going for him. It's probably best to shove him in a safe corner in his joining map and never touch him again (unless you're going for 100% support library or just like him).

1/10, I wanted to give him a higher score, but I don't do bias points and I can't justify anything higher than my absolute minimum. (I don't do 0s either.)

Edited by Jihyun

Bad join time.

How is joining in Chapter 9 a 'bad join time'? I could understand it if he joined in Chapter 28 or something, but Chapter 9?

Edited by NinjaMonkey

How is joining in Chapter 9 a 'bad join time'? I could understand it if he joined in Chapter 28 or something, but Chapter 9?

I suppose it's bad because he joins as one among a sea of underleveled units that come in around that time.

All bad archers have green hair. Rofl takes the cake, he has no actually pros and using him is like signing a death warrant.

Neimi, Wil, Leonardo, Neimi, Norne, Neimi...

Rolf is marginally less hated in my books than Neimi because Rolf at least grows up into a strapping young man. I approve of FE10 Rolf. FE9 Rolf is a noncombatant. "But Ciaran," I can hear you saying, "Rolf is an Archer," to which I do reply he was reclassed from civilian by some kind of horrific bug to somehow plague this game. For every tear he sheds, I burn a GameCube. He is a terrible, terrible character, and a terrible, terrible unit, whose pathetic offense and worse durability on pure player phase in FE fucking Nine is awful and sickens me to the core. 0/10, counting bias. With biases in mind, THIS MEANS I HAVE VOTED HIM 10% LOWER THAN WENDY.

Even if you level him up to par with the rest of your units, he's not particularly impressive even when you ignore all the pitfalls of being an archer in FE9. Even in a game with so much Bonus EXP he's not worth the effort in the least.

1/10

Rolf, the little brother of Boyd and Oscar. Secret student of Shinon's.

Pros:

Chip damage??

Cons:

:facepalm:

Bad join time.

Bad class.

Bad level.

Bad everything.

Really....poor Rolf. I have nothing against the kid but goddamn does he suck in this game. Hes not terribad when trained but really, whos gonna do that outside easy mode? (and even in easy mode, wtf is the point...) Archers are a bit of a smelly class anyway but in PoR, even smellier. Its not like RD, where they can rape shit after a while. Rolf can provide some chip in his joining chapter so other (Marcia) characters can take shit down but like, after that? BENCH! Theres just no point to Rolf in this game. None. Poor poor Rolf.

1/10 (i dont believe in zeros). I actually really like him in RD though cuz dem growths.

It's too bad that he sucks so bad in this game. At least he's the best bow unit in RD. ^-^

That he takes EXP from your units that your already training; and that EXP doesn't get put too good use if he takes it.

Earlygame Est with the worst weapon type in the game?

Uh, not even bothering.

Also why the fuck do I need you to recruit Shinon that's bullshit. -1 for that bias.

0/10

He's no Est. And Shinon's not worth getting back anyway.

I suppose it's bad because he joins as one among a sea of underleveled units that come in around that time.

Yeah. And at level 1. People like Marcia are gonna want the BEXP. Not Rolf.

• 4 weeks later...